Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

GABA ghoul posted:

Unfortunately it is real and idiots are everywhere. Here is a vandalized Russian shop in Germany

https://twitter.com/colonelhomsi/status/1499160168382275590?t=QJAebaGE3Lq2qGbYLvjTog&s=19

This loving sucks. Russians living outside Russia are often vocal critics. The EE market near me had to put up signs about how they dont stock Russian goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mustard_tiger posted:

Every person in Canada knows what a poutine is, especially in Quebec. This makes no sense other than maybe people from outside the country getting confused. There's poutine places everywhere here.

It's in France, where they have real food and don't have to pretend fries with gravy is a delicacy, so there's little reason to know what poutine is

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So as it turns out the Ukrainians have a homegrown anti ship missile launched from a truck called the “Neptune”. Did the Russians take these systems out in the initial invasion? They could start firing them at their ships.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So will ATGM hit those big rear end ships? The ones like this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1499655740428017665

If so can ATGM and RPGs do damage to something like that?

https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1499655744697913344
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1499655748879589376

sounds like the dudes who are trained in this are telling command no. so i guess more job for the VDV or some other fucks.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

VideoGameVet posted:

Nato is probabily providing real time aircraft info to Ukraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt5j2mrXLks

Me and a few others in this thread have speculated this from day one. Now we can be smug about it I guess.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bad_fmr posted:

So the Finnish president Niinistö is meeting with president Biden in the White House. Swedish prime minister and defence minister are coming to Helsinki to meet with the prime minister Marin and president Niinistö. Then Finnish defence minister is scheduled to meet with president Biden.

Something is cooking, right? I will honor the Finnish tradition and not utter the N-word.

They've got to be talking about how they have the conversation with their countries.

Having a referendum on joining nato and losing would be a disaster.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So will ATGM hit those big rear end ships? The ones like this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1499655740428017665

If so can ATGM and RPGs do damage to something like that?

yes but there are even larger missiles designed to kill ships, you don't need to shoot javelins and RPGs at boats. you can if you want but there are plenty of weapons systems out there that will kill amphibious landing vehicles, as well as big rear end anti-ship missiles that will kill the larger ships offshore

Kraftwerk posted:

Do western forces have any land based dedicated anti ship launchers that would serve the same purpose a shore battery would in WW2?

yes absolutely, and ukraine has them too. most militaries with a shoreline will have them. ukraine even has their own indigenous system called neptune which is an iteration on soviet designs. missiles to kill ships with is a very solved technology, relative to the mid 20th century ships want to stay well away from shorelines nowadays because anti-ship missiles are a lot more lethal than any shore artillery or dive bomber ever was. you don't even want to think about a contested amphibious landing unless you are absolutely dead sure you've killed every possible anti-ship battery in the area

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A valid possibility, but if that's the case, why not blow it up at the start of hostilities instead of a week-and-a-half in? That gives more time to position your forces elsewhere and makes it safer to reposition.

civilians need to use those bridges too. you don't want to blow bridges until it becomes absolutely necessary, because you can't un-blow a bridge if it turns out you need it later

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

cgeq posted:

Getting data is never the bottleneck. Analyzing the data is the hard part, but even then the analysis isn't really going to help anyone unless you can use it to make an actionable plan, which takes further work.

Haven't you heard of this one time bunch of 4channers geolocated a Syrian rebel training field video posted on Youtube and a day later it was struck by Russian airforce? /s

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

yes but there are even larger missiles designed to kill ships, you don't need to shoot javelins and RPGs at boats. you can if you want but there are plenty of weapons systems out there that will kill amphibious landing vehicles, as well as big rear end anti-ship missiles that will kill the larger ships offshore

yes absolutely, and ukraine has them too. most militaries with a shoreline will have them. ukraine even has their own indigenous system called neptune which is an iteration on soviet designs. missiles to kill ships with is a very solved technology, relative to the mid 20th century ships want to stay well away from shorelines nowadays because anti-ship missiles are a lot more lethal than any shore artillery or dive bomber ever was

civilians need to use those bridges too. you don't want to blow bridges until it becomes absolutely necessary, because you can't un-blow a bridge if it turns out you need it later

also i assume they have a couple drones and a bomber in the area.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Ukranians were supposedly bringing on truck-mounted AShMs based off of some Soviet/Russian designs this month but I suspect that didn't actually happen. They were supposedly introduce in 2021, so there's maybe a chance. Succesful tests happened in 2018 and 2019.

There are lots of western equivalents but it takes time to train on the systems, so there's not a lot of purpose in trying to get them in to country right now.

edit: Javelins won't do much to a ship. Vastly different scale. The Javelin has about 2.5kg warhead, the Ukranian Kh-35 derivative the Neptune has a 145kg warhead.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 4, 2022

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

FishBulbia posted:

This loving sucks. Russians living outside Russia are often vocal critics.

Not always, but I doubt vandals like this make a distinction. Like Semyon Varlamov is an NHL player who posted photos of him celebrating the annexation of Crimea, and Alexander Ovechkin carried water for Putin doing stupid PR poo poo for him, and for all I care, they can deport those two and let them play for rubles in Russia. But it's not fair or smart to target dissidents.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
A staffer went rogue at the Ukrainian embassy lol.

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1499835880437161990

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apparently Twitter is now cut off too

https://twitter.com/CarlSchreck/status/1499832326502723585?s=20&t=-oQMnId4PnVQmvAHhvbhFQ

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

It's in France, where they have real food and don't have to pretend fries with gravy is a delicacy, so there's little reason to know what poutine is

This was just a coded insult of Belgium.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Would there seriously be a danger of, say, Finland's people rejecting a referendum on NATO? I wouldn't have thought it would be a big issue for the layperson.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1499835261152284676

And they banned facebook earlier today I believe

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

mdemone posted:

Would there seriously be a danger of, say, Finland's people rejecting a referendum on NATO? I wouldn't have thought it would be a big issue for the layperson.

I don't think there's going to be a referendum and even if there were, the current opinion is something like 50% yes and 25% no and the rest is idk according to recent polls.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

I will say one thing for the man, if he sticks to this he's smart. He sees this is a losing proposition, knows that--unlike Putin--he is massively unpopular in his country, and by not directly participating he can disentangle himself from Western sanctions much more easily when it all comes crashing down on Putin.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!

Now it's LinkedIn's time to shine!

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Thom12255 posted:

A staffer went rogue at the Ukrainian embassy lol.

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1499835880437161990

It's a war crime to attack any power station or dam.

every country at war has violated that

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

mdemone posted:

Ideally, there won't be a referendum at all, and the decision of whether to apply or not is made by the government.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Can Russians get around this with a VPN?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

javi posted:

Now it's LinkedIn's time to shine!

unleash the broets of the Russian Federation

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Kraftwerk posted:

So as it turns out the Ukrainians have a homegrown anti ship missile launched from a truck called the “Neptune”. Did the Russians take these systems out in the initial invasion? They could start firing them at their ships.

Seems like an EXCELLENT time to give them a test performance!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I will say one thing for the man, if he sticks to this he's smart. He sees this is a losing proposition, knows that--unlike Putin--he is massively unpopular in his country, and by not directly participating he can disentangle himself from Western sanctions much more easily when it all comes crashing down on Putin.

i sorta suspect Putin will/will try to coup his rear end for some new toady who will follow through because "he went against me" or some poo poo and that will kick off a poo poo show in Belarus.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Panzeh posted:

I think the amphib ops are mostly a decoy, a la Desert Storm.

Could be. And service branch rivalry can make for some interesting decisions occasionally.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

no, these were all comparatively tiny. Crimea and the breakaway regions didn't even require combat to take and Syria likely was the biggest source of recent experience and that was mostly airforce/armor. Georgia was 15 years ago.

Crimea wasn't an official RU military op was it? IIRC it was claimed that all of the separatist fighters were Ukrainians from the region. Just ignore all these mystery dudes with Russian gear (the little green men) who turned up to fight. Apart from the scale of the conflict then and now, that seems to be the main difference: "these people are fighting to break away from Ukraine and be closer to us" vs. "We're sending in our own military to dismantle the entire countries government and armed forces.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Kraftwerk posted:

Do western forces have any land based dedicated anti ship launchers that would serve the same purpose a shore battery would in WW2?

TBH a WW2 coastal battery would serve here, too. This is a pretty weird modern military scenario... for whatever reason, neither side seems to be using their air forces to their full potential. Modern artillery would also be very effective here, for example any of those captured GRADs.

To answer your question, it looks like Ukraine had designed/built their own land-based anti-shipping missile system, but won't arrive in time :smith: paywalled article on Forbes

I'm not a military expert by any means, but AFAIK this Ukraine Neptune system would've been unique insomuch that it was specifically for ships. Western doctrine has sea- and air-specific anti-shipping missiles, which are frikken huge and have a bunch of stuff to defeat countermeasures, but from land they would use regular cruise missiles.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Special Military Operations!
Huh!
Good God, y’all
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing!
Say it again!

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Unfortunately it is real and idiots are everywhere. Here is a vandalized Russian shop in Germany

https://twitter.com/colonelhomsi/status/1499160168382275590?t=QJAebaGE3Lq2qGbYLvjTog&s=19

Given Germany's past and cultural dedication to not repeating it, I would expect Germans to avoid vandalizing a business based on the nationality/ethnicity of it's owners.

acidx posted:

Can Russians get around this with a VPN?

Sure, but then you just legislate VPN use. VPN obfuscates your traffic, but your ISP will still know you're using a VPN.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Does this mean Russian troll farms are going to be shut down too? Will comment sections only be a mild tire fire of discussion instead of a raging uncontrollable fire of stupidity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
feels a little surreal seeing war like this

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1499826563759677444?s=20&t=IeT9a4SJYXOUfEOxFgzkLw

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Madkal posted:

Does this mean Russian troll farms are going to be shut down too? Will comment sections only be a mild tire fire of discussion instead of a raging uncontrollable fire of stupidity.

Less people with selfies of themselves wearing Oakleys in their cars?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

kemikalkadet posted:

Crimea wasn't an official RU military op was it? IIRC it was claimed that all of the separatist fighters were Ukrainians from the region. Just ignore all these mystery dudes with Russian gear (the little green men) who turned up to fight. Apart from the scale of the conflict then and now, that seems to be the main difference: "these people are fighting to break away from Ukraine and be closer to us" vs. "We're sending in our own military to dismantle the entire countries government and armed forces.

At the time they were 'officially' locals yes, but they got military medals/etc. afterwards.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Let noble wrath
Boil over like a wave!
This is the people's special military operation,
a sacred special military operation!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Madkal posted:

to some degree and it depends how this all plays out in the medium term and long term. the venom is still in the system but a venomous fang or two has been pulled from the wound.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

VideoGameVet posted:

Nato is probabily providing real time aircraft info to Ukraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt5j2mrXLks

Nowhere in this video does anyone say NATO is providing real time aircraft info to Ukraine. That may be happening, but they do not report that in this report, and none of the crew say that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vorenus posted:

Given Germany's past and cultural dedication to not repeating it, I would expect Germans to avoid vandalizing a business based on the nationality/ethnicity of it's owners.

There are Ukrainians living abroad as well. Personally I've been surprised I haven't seen more infighting between the two communities, given how numerous they are around here.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Vorenus posted:

The German Nazi party holds 10% of seats in parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

Nowhere in this video does anyone say NATO is providing real time aircraft info to Ukraine. That may be happening, but they do not report that in this report, and none of the crew say that.

No, that part just got confirmed this afternoon by the White House.