Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

SteamOS takes up 30 gigs which kinda seems like a lot.

Eh, my windows directory alone is 22gig. Not counting /user and /program files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

MarcusSA posted:

SteamOS takes up 30 gigs which kinda seems like a lot.

Arch Linux apparently wants 20 GB of space for your install to have a smooth GUI (maybe it does caching there?) plus add steam install + protron and some extra overhead for updates having cache space. Seems about the right size with all that in mind.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

The United States posted:

Steam Deck Review if you have small hands and nails and sweaty palms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErW52_kqr7I

This thing is huge

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Hell yeah it is

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's the same size as my switch with the big hori mitt grips so it'll be an easy transition for me

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'd rather the controls be spread out like that. I hate how cramped the Joycons are.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Veotax posted:

I'd rather the controls be spread out like that. I hate how cramped the Joycons are.
yeah. the big difference will be everything on the same horizontal plane because of making room for the touchpads. i'll have to see how that feels. but on paper i'm already used to this form factor

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thanks. This was incredibly nice for me to see with my tiny girl hands. :)

I was really hoping somebody would do a video or write up exactly like this one.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

This is helpful since my hands are thin and spindly, all these reviews seem to say I should wait for the next revision where the size may be reduced and maybe it won't be so hot.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Finally someone whose first instinct upon receiving the deck is to multitask some janky made with unity indie games no one has heard of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG0AgHt-1eY

They also did the big releases everyone else has too, though also Psychonauts 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2pbuoAf8TI

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I hope the next revision includes an OLED screen, or at least an option for it.

That's honestly all I want: a nice OLED panel and well-built plastics with decent controllers, something basically just for streaming games. I think Razer's making something in that space but I'm not a big fan of their products.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 4, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I am hoping for a guide on painfree and easy steam remote play from a beefy computer to the deck, at native deck resolution. THat is almost certainly my #1 use case for it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Kwolok posted:

I am hoping for a guide on painfree and easy steam remote play from a beefy computer to the deck, at native deck resolution. THat is almost certainly my #1 use case for it.

A guide? What do you want to know? The only thing to do is connect your PC with an ethernet cable to a decent router, connect the Deck with the wifi and make sure the signal is good, Steam sets up the rest with a few clicks.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kwolok posted:

Remote play works the same as it does on anything with Steam, just select the game in your library and choose the machine you want to play it on. Playing at native deck resolution is probably going to need per-game setup, though, since they'll all play at a sensible resolution for your desktop by default.

That said, I haven't yet found anything that performs so much better on desktop that I'd want to stream it? Except, weirdly, Baba is You.

edit: Native Linux version of Baba runs great on deck, but for some reason Proton Baba runs like a dog and is the default. :shrug:

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 4, 2022

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

edit: Native Linux version of Baba runs great on deck, but for some reason Proton Baba runs like a dog and is the default. :shrug:

do you have an option through Steam to install the Linux version?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

do you have an option through Steam to install the Linux version?

Yeah; under "compatibility" in the game's properties you can force it to use "Steam Linux Runtime" rather than Proton and it'll switch your installation automatically.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

anatomi posted:

I hope the next revision includes an OLED screen, or at least an option for it.

That's honestly all I want: a nice OLED panel and well-built plastics with decent controllers, something basically just for streaming games. I think Razer's making something in that space but I'm not a big fan of their products.

it'll probably be an upgrade at some point

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

Yeah; under "compatibility" in the game's properties you can force it to use "Steam Linux Runtime" rather than Proton and it'll switch your installation automatically.

sick

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Samopsa posted:

A guide? What do you want to know? The only thing to do is connect your PC with an ethernet cable to a decent router, connect the Deck with the wifi and make sure the signal is good, Steam sets up the rest with a few clicks.

I guess my concern is how I get native resolution if my desktop is running at 1080p which isn't a scaled ratio to the decks slightly wider aspect ratio

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

NRVNQSR posted:

That said, I haven't yet found anything that performs so much better on desktop that I'd want to stream it? Except, weirdly, Baba is You.

Tons of games I will be able to output at 60fps and the highest settings via remote play from my main computer. Witcher 3, elden ring, etc. Plus when streaming I can get closer to 7 hours battery life out of the deck.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Where's my steamy deck at GABE?!?!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Kwolok posted:

I guess my concern is how I get native resolution if my desktop is running at 1080p which isn't a scaled ratio to the decks slightly wider aspect ratio

Under Settings > Remote Play > Advanced Host Options, there's an option marked "change desktop resolution to match streaming client." In advanced client options, you can limit the resolution to the client's display resolution. I assume that's the way to go, but there hasn't been a whole lot of coverage regarding using it in this manner.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

anatomi posted:

I think Razer's making something in that space but I'm not a big fan of their products.

Ugh. That'd be really great for about nine to eighteen months, and then it'd disintegrate in your hands.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

NRVNQSR posted:

I wonder why it doesn't default to the Linux build if a game has one?

Wanderer posted:

Ugh. That'd be really great for about nine to eighteen months, and then it'd disintegrate in your hands.

If even that.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Day 3 of owning my deck and im already getting it RMA'd. It just wont charge ever. Not from any plug or wall outlets or anything. Big sad right now.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 4, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

polish sausage posted:

Day 3 of owning my deck and im already getting it RMA'd. It just wont charge ever. Not from any plug or wall outlets or anything. Big sad right now.

Might be a stupid question, but have you tried charging it with something other than the charger that comes in the box? Any generic USB-C should be able to charge. There's a small chance that it's just the charger that's bad.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

polish sausage posted:

drat that sucks, can you play it plugged in and the battery just wont charge?

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
nope it just acts like nothing is there and the battery keeps draining.

EDIT: I've used another 45W charger and multiple wall outlets and surge protector. the steam deck charger and the other charger charges my phone perfectly fine so thats how i know something is up with the device. Even cleaning the port does nothing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
drat, hopefully the RMA process is quick and painless.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
guess we'll find out! I'll let ya'll know.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
You heard it here first folks. Terrible QA on steam decks, better cancel your preorder!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kwolok posted:

You heard it here first folks. Terrible QA on steam decks, better cancel your preorder!

Heard this as well

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Has anybody heard of anyone getting an order email since the launch day or are we still thinking Monday for the next wave?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think Valve has explicitly said that emails are going out in waves each Monday. So none should have gone out since launch yet.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yes, they said each Monday a new email wave will go out and all people with Q1 orders will have an invite this month.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rusty posted:

Yes, they said each Monday a new email wave will go out and all people with Q1 orders will have an invite this month.

Knowing my luck, I'll be the very last one.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I reserved a mid-range and I wish I'd reserved a top tier. I assume there's no way to change that without losing my place in line? I'm "Q2."

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

caldrax posted:

I reserved a mid-range and I wish I'd reserved a top tier. I assume there's no way to change that without losing my place in line? I'm "Q2."

yeah if you reorder you get put to the back

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I am so sad having been put in Q2, cause this could still be a very long wait for me. Serves me right for ordering a day late...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

SEKCobra posted:

I am so sad having been put in Q2, cause this could still be a very long wait for me. Serves me right for ordering a day late...

I ordered in like the first 5 minutes they were available and still got Q2, don't beat yourself up too hard.