Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

San Angelo isn't far from where I was born. It's really strange driving around the west TX/east NM area. It's not the wilderness like the famous bus guy's area of Alaska. There are tons of decent-sized cities right nearby, at least if you have fuel in your car. But there's huge swathes of llano with nothing, not many people driving on them, and in some places not even cell phone signal. From my hometown to direct to Denver or Albuquerque or Santa Fe there's swathes of highway where you will have no phone, and no passing cars, until you can see the foothills of the Rockies in the distance. It's beautiful but being stuck out there sounds goddam terrifying.

One night my mom and I were driving from Las Cruces to Albuquerque along I-25, and somewhere between Nogal Canyon and Elephant Butte the right rear tire blew out. It felt like something big had run up from the median and slammed into the back of the vehicle. It could've been much worse, my mom had AAA, but sitting there on the side of the road in the middle of the night, thinking there was something outside, and being shaken every time a semi goes by... brr. It's creepy out there at night. The desert and llano teem with life after the sun sets, and the wind howls until you can't hear yourself think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

cat_herder posted:

One night my mom and I were driving from Las Cruces to Albuquerque along I-25, and somewhere between Nogal Canyon and Elephant Butte the right rear tire blew out. It felt like something big had run up from the median and slammed into the back of the vehicle. It could've been much worse, my mom had AAA, but sitting there on the side of the road in the middle of the night, thinking there was something outside, and being shaken every time a semi goes by... brr. It's creepy out there at night. The desert and llano teem with life after the sun sets, and the wind howls until you can't hear yourself think.
Maybe it's because I was raised in New Jersey, which is not sparsely populated, but driving in the desert at night is terrifying.

About 10 years ago I went to a wedding at a venue somewhere between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Driving back to Albuquerque, late at night, along NM-14 was nerve-wracking. I at one point thought I hit a cat or something, so I pulled over...and ended up in a staring match with the biggest loving jackalope jackrabbit I have every seen. We stood there in the moonlight on this two-lane road through the desert, with nothing around but the wind. It was unnerving on a visceral level.

Also, the instructions to the wedding venue were pretty much "Take the interstate to the state highway, then a county road. Turn when you see the sign for this ranch but be sure you stay right away the fork, you may get shot at if you drive up towards the ranch instead."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TorpedoFish posted:

Maybe it's because I was raised in New Jersey, which is not sparsely populated, but driving in the desert at night is terrifying.

About 10 years ago I went to a wedding at a venue somewhere between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Driving back to Albuquerque, late at night, along NM-14 was nerve-wracking. I at one point thought I hit a cat or something, so I pulled over...and ended up in a staring match with the biggest loving jackalope jackrabbit I have every seen. We stood there in the moonlight on this two-lane road through the desert, with nothing around but the wind. It was unnerving on a visceral level.

Also, the instructions to the wedding venue were pretty much "Take the interstate to the state highway, then a county road. Turn when you see the sign for this ranch but be sure you stay right away the fork, you may get shot at if you drive up towards the ranch instead."

Lol I lived in NYC for a bit, and I'm reminded of the first time I drove through the hellscape of people. Tried to fuel up my own car and some guy comes rushing out "WE DON'T DO THAT HERE LET ME"

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Sorry, there were a few mentions of New Mexico and they act like some sort of runic summon to this thread.

But for real, night driving in the high desert is eerie. It feels like the dark itself is trying to break into your vehicle, and the fear that you're not alone in the emptiness, that you're being watched absolutely grips you.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I feel like some of you would have a heart attack if you had to camp.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Telsa Cola posted:

That's an unfair statement when most of us would have a heart attack taking a brisk walk.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Telsa Cola posted:

Good thing I'll never find out

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Droogie posted:

That's an unfair statement when most of us would have a heart attack taking a brisk walk.

Once you hit peak roundness the key is to roll everywhere you need to go.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

AM makes sure of that. God, I must scream

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

GWBBQ posted:

Like a lot of things with the human body, your skin is more elastic and able to shrink back after weight loss when you're younger, and even then there's a lot of variation.

For some unnerving content, Humans of New York is slowly sharing a story today that's giving me a growing feeling of impending doom with each part. CW for domestic abuse, self harm, and child sexual abuse. I'm spoiler tagging the whole thing (up to part 9/13 now) so anyone who might find it triggering or upsetting can just scroll past. It gets worse with every part.

Click through for photos accompanying each part of the story, and Facebook link since they're a couple of parts ahead of the website
https://www.humansofnewyork.com/
https://www.facebook.com/humansofnewyork/

Jesus loving Christ

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Having camped and hiked a decent bit in the area, so I'm not a regular scared-of-outdoors goonlord just a goonlord who likes the outdoors- it really can get eerie. Even ignoring Droogie's real-life tales of horror. It's the best place in the world for sitting around a campfire telling spooky stories. As mentioned, the way the wind howls, the way the wildlife comes alive when the heat drops off at night. New Mexico loving rules. If you like spooky stuff and hiking or camping, don't overlook NM for Colorado!

And now I'd stab someone for anything with a green hatch chile. Hay te extraño, tierra de encanto.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Mar 4, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I once camped in a superlight bivy tent in a problem bear relocation and wolf introduction area which was fun.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That's another cool thing about it, the wildlife is spooky but won't actually eat you. Except for the skinwalkers of course.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's another cool thing about it, the wildlife is spooky but won't actually eat you. Except for the skinwalkers of course.

Ya gotta eat em first, thats the trick they don't tell you about.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

This is all timely as I just finished reading Journal of the Dead by Jason Kersten about the killing of David Coughlin by his best friend after being lost in the New Mexican desert 20 minutes from a road.

Interesting book if a little overindulgent in descriptions.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Droogie posted:

This is all timely as I just finished reading Journal of the Dead by Jason Kersten about the killing of David Coughlin by his best friend after being lost in the New Mexican desert 20 minutes from a road.

Interesting book if a little overindulgent in descriptions.

weren't those the guys that went hiking with two gatorades and some hotdogs?

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

weren't those the guys that went hiking with two gatorades and some hotdogs?

One Gatorade and 48 oz of water. They used 16oz of that to cook the dogs.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Jesus loving Christ
I finished reading it, it's all up on the website and their social media accounts. There are some more heart-wrenching bits ahead, and I might have cried a bit reading it, but there's a happy ending to the story.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Droogie posted:

One Gatorade and 48 oz of water. They used 16oz of that to cook the dogs.

YOU CAN COOK HOTDOGS ON A STICK! OR JUST EAT THEM!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

OR IN GATORADE

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WaywardWoodwose posted:

YOU CAN COOK HOTDOGS ON A STICK! OR JUST EAT THEM!

I know, right? Who on earth prefers boiled hotdogs to cooked over an open fire?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

I know, right? Who on earth prefers boiled hotdogs to cooked over an open fire?

Those of us who want our dogs infused with a blue-flavour glaze, ofc

e: speaking of those guys, I wonder how many people are dead because they get confident by having topographic maps but can't read topographic maps. I've been near to where they were, last year most recently, and like, you do gotta respect it. But it's not some hellhole. Dying there after three days takes some real lack of preparation.

But I guess hiking in general is like that. I'm reminded of those dutch girls who pressed slightly further than the trail and ended up becoming a mystery for a while. Turns out they ended up dying badly and some locals found one of their thigh bones.

e2: that one still gets to me. They went slightly farther than they were prepared for, and iirc the most likely explanation is one of them slipped down a ravine and was injured. Next thing you know their families spent a few years with nothing but some scary pictures and a backpack. I've got pictures on my phone of me, my partner, and our dog taking selfies like a metre or less from some canyon walls. That could easily be me if not informed.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Mar 5, 2022

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
This seems the time to repost this:

Tom Mahood - The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans
https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

Tom, a hiker and search and rescue worker, recounts his and his friend's search for the remains of a family that went missing on vacation 10 years prior.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
This is pure nightmare fuel. It seems Onlyfans has been a huge boon for the stalker community (and you know there must be an actual stalker community out there, ugh).

OnlyFans Model Discovers Stalker Has Been Creeping Down From Her Attic to Film Her Naked Body While She Slept

https://toofab.com/2022/03/04/onlyfans-model-discovers-stalker-living-in-her-attic-police/

The part of the story that got to me was "The woman told police she was scared, but "felt like she had to be nice at that point" to protect herself." Like, too many women know that sinking feeling all too well. Hits close to home.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

HelleSpud posted:

This seems the time to repost this:

Tom Mahood - The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans
https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

Tom, a hiker and search and rescue worker, recounts his and his friend's search for the remains of a family that went missing on vacation 10 years prior.

Wild, I am listening to a podcast as I opened this thread right now and they are mentioning this case right now. The topic is not focused on this incident.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

GWBBQ posted:

For some unnerving content, Humans of New York is slowly sharing a story today that's giving me a growing feeling of impending doom with each part. CW for domestic abuse, self harm, and child sexual abuse. I'm spoiler tagging the whole thing (up to part 9/13 now) so anyone who might find it triggering or upsetting can just scroll past. It gets worse with every part.

UPDATE: the whole story has been shared and posted both on the website and their social media accounts. There's a happy ending to the story after the abject horror.

Click through for photos accompanying each part of the story, and Facebook link since they're a couple of parts ahead of the website
https://www.humansofnewyork.com/
https://www.facebook.com/humansofnewyork/

Managed to keep it together until that last line. People are so loving heartless to families/victims of abuse if their reaction isn't "bad enough".

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

At the risk of being too meta, I literally just noticed the PMF subforum this week, and I started a thread. In the next few days I will be reposting all the unnerving content posts from this thread there, without interruption. I also discovered a bunch of tangentially related writing about my experiences and what PTSD did to me. They are unnerving, but not quite the right kind for this thread.

Even though that forum is self-focused, that makes me a little uncomfortable, and I am welcoming any question or comments that may arise via PM, and I will be posting answers there as well. Just if you want to know.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Droogie posted:

At the risk of being too meta, I literally just noticed the PMF subforum this week, and I started a thread.
Bookmarked. Looking forward to whatever you may want to post.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Droogie posted:

At the risk of being too meta, I literally just noticed the PMF subforum this week, and I started a thread. In the next few days I will be reposting all the unnerving content posts from this thread there, without interruption. I also discovered a bunch of tangentially related writing about my experiences and what PTSD did to me. They are unnerving, but not quite the right kind for this thread.

Even though that forum is self-focused, that makes me a little uncomfortable, and I am welcoming any question or comments that may arise via PM, and I will be posting answers there as well. Just if you want to know.

gently caress. YES.

DROOGIE. THREAD.

I’ve said it before and I won’t stop saying it: We’re glad you’re back.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who was that serial killer that ran around tickling people for a while beforehand and the cops did nothing because they thought it was funny and then woops he made it to the majors

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who was that serial killer that ran around tickling people for a while beforehand and the cops did nothing because they thought it was funny and then woops he made it to the majors

:staredog:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Boston Strangler had a period where he went around saying that he was a talent agent for models and asking women on the street if he could take their measurements, then he’d grope them and run away, but the police did actually try to catch him while he was doing that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Jack the Noogier?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

John Wayne Got-yer-nose-y

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Milo and POTUS posted:

AFAIK, the Illinois Enema Bandit wasn't a killer or anything...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

AFAIK, the Illinois Enema Bandit wasn't a killer or anything...

I mean, that would make the song even more gross

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I AM GRANDO posted:

The Boston Strangler had a period where he went around saying that he was a talent agent for models and asking women on the street if he could take their measurements, then he’d grope them and run away, but the police did actually try to catch him while he was doing that.

This is probably it. I checked his wiki and found nothing on "tickling" so I figured I was looking in the wrong place. Did he get a slap on the wrist

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Reminds me of Purple Aki, but I think he only had one accidental death to his name.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is probably it. I checked his wiki and found nothing on "tickling" so I figured I was looking in the wrong place. Did he get a slap on the wrist

I don’t think he was ever caught and they only figured out later that it was the same guy. I don’t know why the Boston police would take that seriously when women in the 60s were probably groped on the street all the time, but they sent people out in plain clothes to look for him and even had ladies in revealing clothes go out and walk around all day with a car trailing behind looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I feel like a creep asking this question, but I'm way down a rabbit hole and need to find the bottom so I can move on. Does anyone have recommendations for air-accident investigation or narrative podcasts? I'd particularly like to find something with a single host, rather than in the two-or-more banter style.

edit: DuckDuckGo failed me. Searching within my podcast player surfaced the descriptively-named "Plane Crash Podcast" and "Air Crash Diaries". Oh well. Any recommendations would still be welcome.

BrianRx has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Mar 29, 2022