Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

blue squares posted:

Are there any actual quests that let you go somewhere you wouldn't otherwise

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Frida Call Me posted:

is there any other usable incantations besides black flame and lightning spear? i'm in the last zone and i'm still using almost entirely incantations from pre-godrick. every new incantation i get feels completely unusable because of slow casting speed, no hyper armor, terrible damage and massive FP cost.

Beast claw is a pain to get, but it's decently fast and efficient. More or less a melee alternative.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

whats the path after the academy? caelid or the northern zone? Ive basically done everything and pushed every quest up to the point where i think i need to beat the academy boss finally after like 50 hours? one quest is sending me back to siofra as well so i could do that I think.

so many options!! I just really want to get into the northern middle zone since the giant smasher is in there and thats my main weapon for this build. can I take the back way up there without loving anything up?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Harrow posted:

I have no experience as a pure caster in DS1 but in Demon's Souls it is 100% easy mode. As soon as you get a Fragrant Ring (which is the very beginning, if you start as a Royal) you're basically set for the whole game and it will only get better from there. Eventually once you get Fire Storm and Homing Soul Arrow you'll be one- or two-shotting bosses.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ve done pure sorcery (and bloodtinge in bloodbptne) and DeS is probably the easiest one to do it on. You START with a mana regen ring!!!

Yeah like I said, tried it, hated it, special infinite magic power ring and all. I killed the first boss by spamming fire bombs at it and that was as far as I progressed, every other direction I tried to go in was an exercise in tedium and frustration.

I really don’t need anyone to try and sell me on the other games or tell me that I must have been playing them wrong or I just need to get better or keep trying because it’ll definitely click after the 300th death to some random skeleton ambushing you from inside your own rear end in a top hat because I have tried them and I can’t stand them.

I just want to be as casty as I can in this one, since for whatever reason this one actually works for me.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

About Radahn Starscourge fight:

Is it a heavy gimmick one? I mean, I can't even do anything before he blasts me from miles away. I can't ride away with the horse, the arrow attack always gets me. If I try to block it, I can do some progress, but I always end up eating it before I can even get to Alexander. What do

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TeaJay posted:

About Radahn Starscourge fight:

Is it a heavy gimmick one? I mean, I can't even do anything before he blasts me from miles away. I can't ride away with the horse, the arrow attack always gets me. If I try to block it, I can do some progress, but I always end up eating it before I can even get to Alexander. What do

roll through the first two straight arrow sniper shots, ride torrent at an angle towards him for the rest of it, when close leap off the horse under him and let loose with melee

when he goes meteor, ride torrent perpendicular to his reeentry and repeat slapping his poor horse

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You gotta start learning to dodge the arrow. Roll forward.

He'll fire at least 3 shots then a super volley which you need to ride up and run away from. Summon as many people as you can to start distracting him then run up. The healer and a sorcerer are up on the hill behind him if you want them too.]

Good luck. That fight is insane.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

DourCricket posted:

I'm level 90 and this POS is still a POS. Don't feel bad.

Don’t worry I actually thought the run was super hilarious. This dude is an actual challenge for vets like myself.l and I love it!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

blue squares posted:

Is anyone else completely ignoring quests? Aside from some dude who wanted his fort back, I am just exploring and killing. Are there any actual quests that let you go somewhere you wouldn't otherwise or is it just some extra dialogue and maybe a reward?

There are multiple places you can't get to unless you are on a specific quest.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Been looking at doing another respec after exiting Altus plateau. Been using the Moonveil to carry me through northern and southern Caelid and Altus Plateau, as well as all the underground, and I'm getting bored of it. Anyone have any recommendations on fun weapons/weapon arts to use? I already respecced out of the bloodhound's fang.

Also maybe it's just because of the strength of the moonveil, or I was overlevelled pretty significantly, or that I had the Mimic Tear ashes at +10, but I didn't really have much issue with either the Godskin Noble on the Liurnia tower, or Godskin apostle in Caelid's tower or Atlus plateau

berenzen fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 4, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

You gotta start learning to dodge the arrow. Roll forward.

He'll fire at least 3 shots then a super volley which you need to ride up and run away from. Summon as many people as you can to start distracting him then run up. The healer and a sorcerer are up on the hill behind him if you want them too.]

Good luck. That fight is insane.

Well, I managed to get into the part of actually fighting him, but he just wails everywhere like an insane person, making it really hard to approach him.

Maybe I'll just blast him with the Greatbow after he starts his melee phase

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah like I said, tried it, hated it, special infinite magic power ring and all. I killed the first boss by spamming fire bombs at it and that was as far as I progressed, every other direction I tried to go in was an exercise in tedium and frustration.

I really don’t need anyone to try and sell me on the other games or tell me that I must have been playing them wrong or I just need to get better or keep trying because it’ll definitely click after the 300th death to some random skeleton ambushing you from inside your own rear end in a top hat because I have tried them and I can’t stand them.

I just want to be as casty as I can in this one, since for whatever reason this one actually works for me.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sell you on anything. I thought you meant that you tried the games and you couldn't be a pure caster in them. You definitely can. If what you meant was that you did and it just wasn't fun, yeah, I can't really disagree. There's a reason I've never tried pure caster in DS1: there's only so much Soul Arrow spamming I can put up with.

Pure casting in Elden Ring is exceptionally strong but takes a bit to get off the ground. You can get by using just your shortsword for backup melee if you don't ever want to level Str or Dex but there are some much better Int-scaling melee weapons available if you do.

If you're not averse to spoilers on locations, some spell stuff that will get you off the ground faster: it's a very dangerous area, but Caelid to the east of Limgrave has a very strong staff and the Rock Sling spell, both located in a swamp that you can ride around on Torrent in and not get poisoned. Rock Sling is extra good because it does physical damage so it can help you deal with magic-resistant enemies.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Harrow posted:

Hey how the gently caress do you kill the Godskin Noble on the bridge to the Divine Tower of Liurnia because this guy has some bullshit attack patterns

Let me introduce you to my character, The Fart Ninja:

If you can get 12 Faith, you can use Poison Mist. Simply sneaky sneak up behind an unaggro'd enemy or field boss and fart away. Works on Godskin Noble once you horse past him to the elevator, Draconic Tree Watcher, Godskin Apostle in the Windmill town, certain red phantoms in late game hidden areas. Basically, anyone in the field standing still who you can sneak up on, you can fart to death.

This isn't the FUN way to do it, but if you just want it DONE, it'll do!

edit: actually for that one in particular, I ran out of fart juice and used blood arrows after awhile.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 4, 2022

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Yesterday we spent the night taking turns clearing Stormveil castle to get all the graces and items for each of our 3 member group. It was an awesome experience. I've been enjoying the exploration and small dungeons, but felt intimidated going through a legacy dungeon since I've never played a souls game before this. Running with two friends lightened the mood and made it way more entertaining. Instead of creeping up the side path like I did solo, we blitzed through the main gate slaying everything in our path. It was pretty tense until we got the first deep grace, then it became a game of exploring each path to fully map out the area.

We got invaded about 5 times throughout the process and took them all out without any deaths. It was tense experiencing PvP as a relative noob, but it's honestly hard to lose when you have three people coordinating in voice chat. It definitely cemented the idea that PvP in the intricate dungeons is something I want to do in the future. I'm going to rush the quests for the unlimited invasion finger and have some fun fights while I'm still relatively low level (55 now.

I'm also thinking about making a low-level pvp character. What was the method like for doing this in previous games? I imagine you'd want to be like level 15-30 or so, do minimum stat reqs for weapons and spend the rest in vigor (and endurance?), keep weapon upgrades down to +4 or +5, get a bunch of ridiculous weapons, weapon arts, talismans etc. then become a demon in a popular area like Stormveil. Beating the bosses at low levels sounds tough, but using broken release items before they're patched seems like a good way to do it. I know there are a few tricky items to watch out for like the +8 sword one NPC can give you. Any other major pitfalls to avoid?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Are the non-unique weapons able to compete with the unique ones? I’d love to run bloodhound tooth as a secondary so I can bloodhound step and cause stuns all day, but none of the other curved great swords seem to compete on damage.

I mean I’m comparing a +17 regular to a +9 unique but it doesn’t seem close.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I found another way into Nokstella that doesn't involve the quest at all. If that's the area people think the quest is required for, it's not.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

VulgarandStupid posted:

Are the non-unique weapons able to compete with the unique ones? I’d love to run bloodhound tooth as a secondary so I can bloodhound step and cause stuns all day, but none of the other curved great swords seem to compete on damage.

In all soulsborne games the unique weapons usually have a hard time keeping up with the more mundane ones. Unless you really lean into their gimmicks.

Poltroon
Dec 15, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

The power variance between similarly leveled weapons of a given class is pretty low. The somber stone special weapons usually have their power in a good special abilities rare damage splits or specific passive boosts.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For some reason, if you wear a Gravekeeper's Cloak and a Duelist's Helm, the hood of the cloak stretches over the helm. I can't find any other combination of chest/head armor that does this so it's likely a bug, but lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Having high poise is quite nice for fighting tough normal mobs, if you can trade a hit and knock them down with your big weapon and then kill them on the ground before chugging instead of getting your attack canceled, doing 0 damage, and having to roll away to flask and lose tempo.

It does almost nothing to keep you alive vs boss fights though, aside from the few bosses that have 0 poise and stagger on every hit like Leonine or the copy-pasted assassin dude in catacombs.

I just killed 2 assassin catacomb bosses with this exact strategy. Still can’t tell if equipping arsenal talisman and a bit of heavy armor is worth it or lighter armor and a better charm would be

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Write messages folks, it could save your life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nCdE31rzSs

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

blue squares posted:

Is anyone else completely ignoring quests? Aside from some dude who wanted his fort back, I am just exploring and killing. Are there any actual quests that let you go somewhere you wouldn't otherwise or is it just some extra dialogue and maybe a reward?

There is one pretty big quest that sends you to at least 2-3 whole new areas. The quest for Ranni the Witch, who you will find in a tower just outside the back door from Carian Manor.

I haven't done it yet but it's implied that the quest for Albus in the Village of the Albinaurics in Liurnia leads you to a new area as well. Not sure if there's another way in without it.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Quick noob question: Can you wield 2h weapons 1-handed or two-hand one-handed weapons like you could in DS3?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Quick noob question: Can you wield 2h weapons 1-handed or two-hand one-handed weapons like you could in DS3?

Yep. Hold triangle and hit R1 or L1 for the weapon you want to two-hand.
e: I don't know the answer to the first part. You need to meet the requirements to one-hand any weapon.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Dragon incantations are hilariously powerful. Invader shows up? Breath on them basically a guaranteed to kill. Dragon? Breath on it watch it lose a huge chunk of life and be left with a status effect. Pesky gank squad hunting you down? Bait them into a hallway and breath on them. Solves all my problems I swear. Now if only they weren't so drat expensive fp wise

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I kinda wish either that From hadn't put so many easily obtainable extremely good items/weapon arts into the game, or that players had waited a while to share them? Like, I feel like its inevitable that stuff like the Sword of Night and Flame and the Moonveil Katana and the Comet Azur are going to get nerfed before I get a chance to roll a Sorc character and enjoy them to their full extent.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Is Ainsel just really short compared to Siofra? I see other map areas but can't see how to get there.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

VulgarandStupid posted:

Remember that a +9 somber-stone weapon is basically equivalent to a +24 normal weapon.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'm in Nokron and if the people I actually manage to summon could have more than 20 vigor and stay alive for longer than an unupgraded summon that'd be nice. I want to summon against gargoyle O&S! Give me someone who isn't a dumpsterfire please!

edit: as per usual complaining works. Instantly got some Guts cosplayer who wrecked poo poo.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 5, 2022

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Video Nasty posted:

Can I put the blood slash on any sword or does it have to be a katana? I don't remember getting any slicing type swords so far.

Could someone help me answer this? I've only seen other co-op summons with a katana using it so far.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Finally went to the Belfries to use these Imbued Stone Keys.

Yo what the gently caress is this Crumbling Farum Azul place holy goddamn poo poo. :stare:

How is this game real?

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Video Nasty posted:

Could someone help me answer this? I've only seen other co-op summons with a katana using it so far.

i had it on my claymore for awhile

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I can't believe there's still parts of the map I haven't been to or uncovered yet. I still haven't even stepped food in the Eternal City either

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Popy posted:

i had it on my claymore for awhile

gently caress yes. Thank you! Gonna go find some good swords now because the colossal one I have needs too much STR still.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There is one pretty big quest that sends you to at least 2-3 whole new areas. The quest for Ranni the Witch, who you will find in a tower just outside the back door from Carian Manor.

I haven't done it yet but it's implied that the quest for Albus in the Village of the Albinaurics in Liurnia leads you to a new area as well. Not sure if there's another way in without it.

For the first one, there's another way in thru the coffin in the Deeproot Depths, which you can get to via the coffin behind the Valiant Gargoyles in Nokron.

For the second I did the quest and it seemed to be implied you can still find the item on your own anyway, you'll just miss out on the Ashes from the quest NPC.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have question about a part in Leyndell: I have defeated Godfrey, took a left, went down the elevator, fought two perfumers and a crucible (I think? I forget the types) knight on this long pathway. There's this bit of floor that just keeps lighting up. Am I supposed to do something with it?

EDIT: Figured it out, never mind! Now I'm thinking this is not the only instance of this...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBGSrxyhCMs

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Game is amazing in every aspect, I only have the tiniest of complaints so far 50 hours in.

• Walking Mausoleums should of had more to them, like a teleporter to a dungeon inside.
  • When I pick up a new special item or recipe book there should be a button to look at it in my inventory immediately instead of digging through my increasingly larger inventory to see what it does
  • Smithing stone [number] should be renamed probably.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Video Nasty posted:

I have it on my claymore, I believe it goes on most blades, but not "collosal" ones. RIP to my dreams of Blood Zweihander

efb with the same sword even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Aaaah I have an indecision problem. I'm building a new character centered around dragon incantations, but at the same time I want to use the winged scythe as my main weapon. I know I probably want to use the dragon seal so I have to invest in arcane in the long term, Anyone has an idea on whether it's workable or if I'm going to spread my stats too thinly?