Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Guindon has a really lovely drawing style - thanks for posting his stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 15, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 15, 2000)

Garfield Classic (April 15, 1990)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "72 - Jucika's Boat Trip"

"73 - Jucika, The Photojournalist"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the old world project is the sagrada famila designed by antoni gaudi. the project began in 1882, with gaudi taking over the next year and working on it until his death in 1926. The basilica is still not complete!

tbf, construction was interrupted by a lot of war and fascism.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

Comic Strips 2022: Except for stabbing this is my favorite hobby, ha ha!
There’s a lot more injury and death in this comic than I was expecting.

Still good, tho.

And He Did! March 16, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True March 17, 1919

Cat Tales February 25, 1925

Oaky Doaks August 29, 1936

Mopsy November 6, 1937

Up Front January 22, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems May 14, 1952

Those Were the Days March 26, 1959

Wee Pals May 21, 1966

Dogbert January 16, 1967

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/4/02

Double Collins

Brenda Starr 4/15-17/48

Smokey Stover 7/21/46

Everyday Movies 11/26/34

"It looked like such a gorgeous place from the outside, Duke, but it turns out to be all show and no comfort."

Bonus Ad! Ah yes, the forties, when a girl gazes dreamily at her date and fantasizes about the day she'll wash his shirts.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Cowslips Warren posted:

And add me to the list of people who don't get why Rae the Doe is amazing. I mean there are some cute strips but this right now feels like the poo poo that was Jane's World when the self-insert was tossed in some movie. Last Starfighter, I think?

The Bloop posted:

Nu Nancy and Rae the Doe both veer into self-indulgent walls of text that I just skip when they get like that

Sometimes even Sally Forth

Nancy and Rae both really suffer from being born out of webcomics and not making the conversion as well as Phoebe or Breaking Cat News. Along with Mark Trail, they all kind of feel like they were created by people unfamiliar with the requirements and processes of a daily newspaper comic strip. They were meant to be just sporadic comics that come across your Twitter or Instagram feed.

I really liked Rae the Doe when I'd come across it organically in the wild like that, now I see that people were just re-sharing the good ones and the rest is dumb and plodding. "Sluggo is Lit" is the best and worst thing that's happened to this medium.

In other words, we are making the experience worse and making ourselves less happy by reading comics every day.

Now for my comics from the last four days.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

swear to god, I'm just gonna start putting nedroid_show_dont_tell.jpg after all Curtis

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I have witnessed a toddler getting a sugar rush. It’s simultaneously hilarious and terrifying.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 05, 1950)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the old world project is the sagrada famila designed by antoni gaudi. the project began in 1882, with gaudi taking over the next year and working on it until his death in 1926. The basilica is still not complete!

You may also recognize the Sagrada Familia as one of the trailer locations in the new Pokemon Scarlet and Violet games, which take place in PokeSpain!

Just kinda neat that I've seen that building referenced twice in such a short time period.

Okay I did not expect this and I am into it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I'm really digging Guidon.

Medenmath posted:

If everyone would, please take a moment to appreciate the first panel and last panel Boltars.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P
Another double feature today.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Ah, romance is in the air. :allears:

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

I missed this earlier but I wanted to say something about it. I don't know where this is going, but so far it looks like another example of the protagonist-centered morality Holbrook tends to like. Instead of exposing this guy and getting his fraudulent papers retracted, she seems to be holding it over him to advance her own career.

Ding ding ding!

Classic Kevin & Kell in: got it in one (February 27 - March 5, 2006)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals May 21, 1966

:actually: in late May, Sirius and Bellatrix set just a few minutes after the Sun does; they'd be just about impossible to see. And on that date in 1966, Venus was visible very low in the east right before sunrise, but Mars was lost in the solar glare.

My immersion, it is ruined.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Medenmath posted:

Boltar, you scamp. :allears:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

WEAR BODY ARMOR, SEND JAMPA AN EMAIL loving HELL THIS STORY SUCKS

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I wonder if now Holbrook is going to tell us all the ways a mongoose would be good at loving

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

they had me in the first half, not gonna lie

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

You can't just have narration boxes describing how your characters feel!

quote:

This comic made Twelve by Pies very angry.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

And the next day:

Mama's getting impatient

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Dustin's grandpa is having a stroke because there is no drat way Dustin's dad uses fruity shampoo that would make him less of a Man.

Boltar would. And he'd slather it all over his beard too. Because Real Men don't care if they smell like Passion Paradise.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Really appreciate this character's commitment to the Slapsy Maxie Rosenbloom aesthetic.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I am old enough that I went to high school with girls who dressed in Candace's fashion, and nobody gave them collective finger-pointing poo poo for it at all. I know some girls got into arguments and trouble with what teachers considered overly revealing clothing, but that was nothing on Candace's level. This shaming storyline is really disgusting.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Wallace

Sterling is an underappreciated character imo.

Also there are some A+ faces in that Val comic. :discourse:

Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (May 26, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 16-17, 1990)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Dustin's grandpa is having a stroke because there is no drat way Dustin's dad uses fruity shampoo that would make him less of a Man.

Boltar would. And he'd slather it all over his beard too. Because Real Men don't care if they smell like Passion Paradise.

I use Passion Paradise Vagina Wash because all the Manly Man GigaChad bath products are more over-scented than a loving bug bomb

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Powered Descent posted:

The Freudian Circus

"... and PJ can be the dog!"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

Ah of course. Moonshine. What else would it be at this time in rural Finland. It feels pretty realistic, I bet most places had similar people, we had a local "celebrity" like that here in the mid-20th century. People are still talking about him today, stories like his mother was a witch, she wouldn't let him in the house at night unless he'd stolen enough as a kid. He once offered my grandfather money to buy my dad in the 50s (reason: he wanted a son), he became a lawyer while in prison. My dad said they used to scare kids with him, and when they where kids they'd see him sit on his porch with a puuko knife and carve a whole launtaimakkara for dinner, with a case of beer, that was a usual dinner for him I was told. And so on, even though he died in 1960s everyone still knows his name around here.

I feel like this could all fit in Into Ilves world.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whoops, now it's $10

Now it's $15

I mean $17.37

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (April 15, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 15, 2000)

These are surprisingly relevant.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Long Lever

Next: The Gabriel Set-Up

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Howard Beale posted:

I am old enough that I went to high school with girls who dressed in Candace's fashion, and nobody gave them collective finger-pointing poo poo for it at all. I know some girls got into arguments and trouble with what teachers considered overly revealing clothing, but that was nothing on Candace's level. This shaming storyline is really disgusting.

It's a common thing that Lynn goes back to time after time. "See this stupid poo poo the kids are doing? They know perfectly well it's stupid poo poo. They only do it [for attention] [to make you mad] [because they're roadside] [because they were paid by the Russians, I don't know]. What a bunch of assholes, right?"

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Howard Beale posted:

I went to middle school in the 2000's and there was one time that a girl showed up in full rave gear, complete with transparent clothing, Dr. Seuss hat and blinking pacifier. The reaction from the teachers was pretty much as expected, she got yelled at and sent home early. But the reaction from students was more like high fives, nervous giggles and variations on "Gosh, I wish that were me."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh no, not fruit scents, the worst scent imaginable. How gross. Ed should get shampoos with manly scents like Cow poo poo, Cigar and Whiskey, or Gun.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I remember a teacher having to go home at second period and coming back with a pair of slacks on instead of the micro mini she had on at the start of the day.

She left the profession after 3 years and married a former student 5 years younger than her.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh no, not fruit scents, the worst scent imaginable. How gross. Ed should get shampoos with manly scents like Cow poo poo, Cigar and Whiskey, or Gun.

My manly bath products have the reek of road tar, grease, farts, beer, and charred hamburgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

My manly bath products have the reek of road tar, grease, farts, beer, and charred hamburgers

Just don’t let your bath water go down the drain and save your money on product.