Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Orange DeviI posted:

Ffxiv is an mmo too despite being 99% instanced 4 to 8 man fights

correct

Jackard posted:

GW1 was a better mmo

incorrect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

Lost Ark is a Diablo, and is being called an MMO

It’s absolutely not a Diablo like game. It is an mmo with all the normal mmo stuff like raids and dailies and cosmetic grinds.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

yeti friend posted:

It’s absolutely not a Diablo like game. It is an mmo with all the normal mmo stuff like raids and dailies and cosmetic grinds.

diablo is a mmo with mmo stuff like dailies and cosmetic grinds

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

no diablo is nothing like an mmo. in an mmo you choose a class and kill monsters and do quests to level up, and then you kill bosses over and over again to get better loot. in diablo you choose a class and kill monsters and do quests to level up, and then you kill bosses over and over again to get better loot.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

MMO gamers when they play a single player/co-op game with multiplayer lobbies: "This game is a MMO!"

MMO gamers when they play a modern MMO that caters to solos and includes instancing/layering: "This isn't a MMO."

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
There hasn’t been an mmo since anarchy online

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

MMOs don't exist, they are a conspiracy by the Illuminati

Wake up, sheeple

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

MMOs don't exist, they are a conspiracy by the Illuminati

Wake up, sheeple

dont you remember? you have been the mmo all along

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Life is a mmo.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Would you like a MMO, or would you like to be a MMO?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Zil posted:

Life is a mmo.

I love the game of life's server structure, who knew you could use the relative local mass and speed of light to create frames of reference in real time.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Lost Ark requires entirely too much coordination with other players in raids to not be called an MMO. When you're constantly wiping to a boss cause someone on your team fails a mechanic, and then the rest of party rage-quits, I'd put it more on the MMO side of the scale than Diablo, which I believe does not have that kinda thing.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kevin Bacon posted:

no diablo is nothing like an mmo. in an mmo you choose a class and kill monsters and do quests to level up, and then you kill bosses over and over again to get better loot. in diablo you choose a class and kill monsters and do quests to level up, and then you kill bosses over and over again to get better loot.

if you weirdos want to call diablo an MMO, then mroe power to you. Lost Ark is definitely an MMO though.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

yeti friend posted:

if you weirdos want to call diablo an MMO, then mroe power to you. Lost Ark is definitely an MMO though.

I will call anything a mmo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the hip thing to call it now is :gas:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
It's not really complicated, the operative term is Massively Multiplayer. Sure, we can move the goal posts a whole lot on what we define as "massive", but to start somewhere let's say anything where less than 100 players can't engage simultaneously is not an MMO. So Diablo is clearly out. Without knowing what the channel caps of Lost Ark is, I'd say it's very much in. Sure you won't really get triple digit players engaging simultaneously in any way outside of idling in hub cities or doing world bosses, but that's not really much different from FFXIV.

Anything not related directly to playercount-per-map has nothing to do with the MMO part of MMORPG.

:goonsay:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if it can handle more players than a team fortress classic server its a mmo

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

diablo 3 had a working auction house for real money

it is a mmo since more than 100 people could interact that way

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Any MMOs pulled the plug on Russia yet ?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Baconroll posted:

Any MMOs pulled the plug on Russia yet ?

WoW, maybe? With ActiBlizz suspending sales in Russia https://www.wowhead.com/news/activision-blizzard-pledges-support-for-ukraine-and-suspends-sales-of-games-in-326212

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

diablo 3 had a working auction house for real money

it is a mmo since more than 100 people could interact that way

By this logic every Steam game that at least drops cards is an MMO.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hra Mormo posted:

By this logic every Steam game that at least drops cards is an MMO.

yes

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
mmo players are the worst. All a company has to do is call their online game an mmo and all of these mmo players will rush to play it. It looks like lost ark really is an mmo but I got bad news about guild wars et al.

lmao the 100 concurrent players rubric would make baddlfield 2042 an mmo

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How does something like Guild Wars 2 not qualify as an MMO to you.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Fame Douglas posted:

How does something like Guild Wars 2 not qualify as an MMO to you.

I was speaking about guild wars 1 i have no experience with guild wars 2

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao the 100 concurrent players rubric would make baddlfield 2042 an mmo

But that's sort of just it, isn't it. The novelty of massively multiplayer is nothing like it was in the early years of the internet, and other games are now encroaching on the huge multiplayer experiences with much more focused game modes that usually put the large crowd content of MMOs to shame. Probably not Battlefield 2042, though. I heard that one sucked.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Back when the term was coined, and even then it was really "a game of the virtual world genre only with a player count above some nebulous limit that exists between MUDs and UO", the persistent world was the defining feature but instancing and theme park MMOs put an end to that specificity, so after that player counts was sort of (due to instancing again) all that remained along with the service aspect. Both those characteristics are found in non-MMO games too now so the distinction is essentially meaningless, save for the games that actually do offer persistent worlds.

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 6, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Who is going to do raid and pvp boosting now?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
It looks like Russia is literally pulling the plug on the Internet on March 11th and going to nationwide network instead. Just from a pure gaming perspective this is gonna upset so many Russians it boggles the mind.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Guild Wars 1 had hub areas with hundreds of people and alliance battles which are 24 man pvp matches, its an mmo!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Baconroll posted:

It looks like Russia is literally pulling the plug on the Internet on March 11th and going to nationwide network instead. Just from a pure gaming perspective this is gonna upset so many Russians it boggles the mind.

its like the worlds biggest LAN party

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It will be a massive blow to memes though. A dark period of history for sure.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Where then will we go for clips like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRAPmAeQl0k

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

eonwe posted:

its like the worlds biggest LAN party

One might call it, massive.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I feel like that’ll be big if true in eve online. Haven’t played in over a decade but the Russians were hardcore and very well established.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Kaysette posted:

I feel like that’ll be big if true in eve online. Haven’t played in over a decade but the Russians were hardcore and very well established.

The Mittani sends his regards.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Kaysette posted:

The Russian federation is going down hard for this one. EvE devs may step in on this one given the impact however

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

PyRosflam posted:

The Russian federation is going down hard for this one. EvE devs may step in on this one given the impact however

Idk that's like a free expansion that didn't cost any dev time. Could be a big opportunity!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Baconroll posted:

finally, I can win a match in CS GO

the most popular mmorpg in russia

edit: also this situation is horrifying but I will keep my internal screaming in the appropriate threads, I don't like living in interesting times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Just here, reminiscing about a simpler time in TYOOL 2000 when I found myself spending countless hours taming beetles in UO while the world around me wasn’t yet on fire.

Everything went downhill when the Real Life 2001 expansion pack released.