Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Telsa Cola posted:

Rail also is a thing.

Yes rail is a thing however we utilize trucks and planes in a greater number than Russia which uses trains for troop transports. When I went through BCT I flew to ft Benning, I didn't ride a train. Other dudes grey hounded. And do the same to get to their duty station. In Russia your probably using a train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The US sucks at passenger rail, but is excellent at freight rail. It's basically in the same category as Russia in terms of weight moved, moving like 20% less, which for comparisons sake is roughly the same ratio as the entire EU relative to Ukraine.

Obviously poo poo like the EU being largely more compact, and probably also moving less heavy stuff, makes it look particularly bad in this comparison, but it does indicate that the US doesn't really have dumb infrastructure at that level. Based on the infrastructure thread, I think the issue is more that the US has increasingly outdated port/terminal infrastructure, resulting in poo poo getting stuck in bottlenecks rather than getting moved onto trains quickly and efficiently.

Distance from Madrid to Moscow by rail wouldn't be all that much different from Bangor to San Diego I don't think.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Coal and oil move by barge usually.

The Mississippi and the intercoastal waterways have a huge amount of bulk by barge that most people just don’t know about

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The Mississippi and the intercoastal waterways have a huge amount of bulk by barge that most people just don’t know about

heh same

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Trump posted:

I'm puzzled by this statement. Do you get delivered oil directly from a barge to your gas station?

Oil has to be refined before it goes to your gas station

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mokotow posted:

Someone upstream had it right that the wood on these trucks is to assist in mud, especially since they’re on a pontoon bridge transporter that needs to be able to get really close to water. Now, why the gently caress they didn’t think about this earlier is another topic all together.

They definitely did, some of the "tank stuck in mud" pictures floating around show bundles of logs laid down to try (unsuccessfully) to bridge the mud.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Ikasuhito posted:

https://twitter.com/5inan_/status/1500133780350197766

"Look at the wooden shields that the world's 2nd largest army made on their vehicles."

Not surprising to me is that ribbon bridge segment looks like it's never been used. I just came from a bridging unit and segments are always dinged and scratched from training. If you don't have bridgers on the water building, that skill set goes away really fast.

If anyone wants to see some cool military equipment that doesn't directly kill people, look at wet gap crossing operations.

https://youtu.be/6Nh_feflEx0

Edit: suuuuper beaten

Dirt5o8 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 5, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Trump posted:

I'm puzzled by this statement. Do you get delivered oil directly from a barge to your gas station?

Intermodal barge or rail to terminal or refinery, truck from terminal to gas station.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There's also the Biber bridge layer, which is…extremely German: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk9opplS9Lo

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

So what is going on with the convoy? Is it getting repeatedly attacked, or was it attacked once?

Since it's stalled, why can't it be destroyed with RPGs? Like, can a bunch of Ukrainian soldiers arm themselves with RPGs, sneak up, surround both sides of the convoy, and fire? Or would it be impossible to sneak up?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/1499525817776365574?s=20

This guy is pure trouble. I’m assuming he’s fled by now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dirt5o8 posted:

If anyone wants to see some cool military equipment that doesn't directly kill people, look at wet gap crossing operations.
]

You should have looked at the wet gap crossing operations my equipment did with your mom last night

small butter posted:

So what is going on with the convoy? Is it getting repeatedly attacked, or was it attacked once?

Since it's stalled, why can't it be destroyed with RPGs? Like, can a bunch of Ukrainian soldiers arm themselves with RPGs, sneak up, surround both sides of the convoy, and fire? Or would it be impossible to sneak up?

It's in the middle of open fields and even if Ukrainians are doing well, they probably can't risk moving out in the open en masse

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 5, 2022

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Comical if true https://twitter.com/golub/status/1500172239097978880

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

the popes toes posted:

Distance from Madrid to Moscow by rail wouldn't be all that much different from Bangor to San Diego I don't think.
On road, it's pretty much the distance from Vilnius to Madrid. Europe is laid out differently than the US though, with the most densely populated parts sitting right in the middle. Even assuming everything else is the same, that would push the US towards rail freight/longer journeys for freight.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1500175471094517763

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I don't think so, the mic is just transparent.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

German Embassy in South Africa not mincing words
https://twitter.com/GermanEmbassySA/status/1500032894261211138?t=BugBUdkMKnCobN7aKb8KXg&s=19

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Worst timeline but gently caress it, I'll take it if there's nothing else.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Looks like dodgy video compression to me. There's a lot of artifacting on his hand too

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

small butter posted:

Not clear that it's even worth attacking it. At this rate they'll all starve or freeze on their own.

Prediction: in a day or three they start burning their own vehicles for heat

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Putin is dead, replaced by CGI/holograms. That's why the people actually controlling Russia has him be so far apart from everyone else.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

small butter posted:

Sure, it can be. But there are also Russians down south actually hitting cities who are a more immediate concern than the forty miles of dumbasses with no fuel, power, or food.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

I'm not sure what I'm meant to be seeing? Whatever it is it's likely just video compression artifacts.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am really really interested how Bennett twisted Vova's arm :getin:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 5, 2022

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

steinrokkan posted:

You should have looked at the wet gap crossing operations my equipment did with your mom last night

She assured me your segments weren't long enough to make it.
:colbert:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

the popes toes posted:

Normally its a little bit longer, but close.

Right now :lol:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not clear that it's even worth attacking it. At this rate they'll all starve or freeze on their own.

Prediction: in a day or three they start burning their own vehicles for heat

Yeah, some wag on twitter was saying it was like they were interned in a POW camp of their own making

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Apparently the usa has the largest rail network in the world. Not having passengers on it kinda makes it feel invisible. Fortunately for me I have a Canadian pacific cargo line that runs through my backyard so I never forget

headspace
Apr 25, 2014

kemikalkadet posted:

This is probably for unditching. Carry a load of wood with you then if you get stuck in mud at a time when you need to keep moving quickly you can use it to get unstuck or pontoon across the mud without having to waste time cutting trees down in situ.

If that was the case, why would they cover their windshields?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Watch putin lose a loving war

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

small butter posted:

From the limited information that we have, it’s being occasionally attacked by long distance fire. In the end of the day, it is still a standing army, and quite sneaking up to it is unlikely easy.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Thom12255 posted:

I'm not sure what I'm meant to be seeing? Whatever it is it's likely just video compression artifacts.

Pooptin's hand clips through the mic on the table. Also the lighting is F'ed up - look at the reflection in the woman's hair vs Pooptin's dickhead.

Pooptin is too afraid to film a scene with a bunch of strangers, so he shot his part in front of a green screen. I had wondered why all of the attendant's eyes didn't track Pooptin properly, I had sorta figured they were just insanely terrified but asking a buncha non-actors to mimic a bunch of prompts makes way more sense.

EDIT: if I had to guess, they were shot in the same room at different times. I went back and watched some clips, and the back stage of that 'conference room' is extremely suspect. Also no windows whatsoever, which is very convenient for hiding what time of day it is.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 5, 2022

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

How does the US move poo poo around the country now that I think about it? Unlike I’m assuming Russia aren’t rail lines in the US privately owned?

Yeah, but they rent the timeslots out. Also america does an assload of movement by independently semi detached trailers. It's this huge mess of middlemen faced by like 4 shipping giants for packages, assload of regional bulk fright contracting companies, and a dollar per mile system on it all. :capitalism:

E: and yes it does gently caress up road infastructure and encourage poor maintenance of rail lines.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1500168055850213382?s=20&t=0rl4bw0Mv1HCXzRfWilVWg

Was this discussed?

The full quote, thankfully, seems a good deal softer.

""These sanctions that are being imposed are akin to a declaration of war but thank God it has not come to that," Putin said, speaking to a group of flight attendants at an Aeroflot training centre near Moscow."

He also emphasizes that a no-fly zone in Ukraine *would* be considered by Russia to be a step into the military conflict so it seems like their red line remains the same.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Private Speech posted:

I don't think so, the mic is just transparent.

Thom12255 posted:

Arm crosses the microphone around the 7th second, if you ask me. Also, the hair of woman in the middle seems to be lit entirely differently from anything around here.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PerilPastry posted:

Was this discussed?

The full quote, thankfully, seems a good deal softer.

""These sanctions that are being imposed are akin to a declaration of war but thank God it has not come to that," Putin said, speaking to a group of flight attendants at an Aeroflot training centre near Moscow."

He also emphasizes that a no-fly zone in Ukraine *would* be considered by Russia to be a step into the military conflict so it seems like their red line remains the same.
We discussed this a few hours ago but yeah gently caress you reuters for yet another anxiety headline.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

https://youtu.be/p7_epng277s

This is a much higher quality version and there's nothing fake about it.

I mean, except the guards with guns pointed at their heads they had to key out

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Grouchio posted:

I am really really interested how Bennett twisted Vova's arm :getin:

Who do you think Naftali Bennett is lol

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Is he just not afraid of getting shanked by girls, he's sitting so close to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

small butter posted:

Once it's out of fuel, it will be abandoned. No need to destroy it, just keep it from moving forward and it will destroy itself.