Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d64
Jan 15, 2003

ethanol posted:

Apparently the usa has the largest rail network in the world. Not having passengers on it kinda makes it feel invisible. Fortunately for me I have a Canadian pacific cargo line that runs through my backyard so I never forget

It's true that USA is huge on rail transport and this is not commonly known. Compared to Europe, USA moves much more freight by rail both in tonnage and as a percentage. One reason often given is that the US does not have much of a network of usable rivers and waterways for bulk freight, so there's been a huge demand for rail links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

We discussed this a few hours ago but yeah gently caress you reuters for yet another anxiety headline.

I've seriously had to ration my use of social media because of clickbaity bullshit like this. Glad my reading's correct.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Arm crosses the microphone around the 7th second, if you ask me. Also, the hair of woman in the middle seems to be lit entirely differently from anything around here.

I don't know about the lighting but the hand appearing to clip through the mic could easily be artifacting. The colours in that area are very similar and his hand appears with clear square edges in other frames showing that it's pretty heavily artifacted. The clipped part is basically a vertical bar of colour in the frame posted earlier.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Trump posted:

I'm puzzled by this statement. Do you get delivered oil directly from a barge to your gas station?

Most oil refineries and power plants along the Mississippi/Ohio/Missouri are directly on the river so you can just scoop them up from the barge itself. The coal plants have a little deposit shoot right next to it to put leftover gypsum (byproduct of burning coal) for making drywall

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vampire Panties posted:

Normally its a little bit longer, but close.

Right now :lol:

Google Maps is missing data for tons of railways, you can't use it for railway routes across Europe. It's not indicative of current travel times, either.

In normal times, there's a Moscow - Nice train.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/03/05/russia-ukraine-insurgency/

Interesting article, I'm going to quote:

quote:

The Ukrainian military has mounted an unexpectedly fierce defense against invading Russian forces, which have been dogged by logistical problems and flagging morale. But the war is barely two weeks old, and in Washington and European capitals, officials anticipate that the Russian military will reverse its early losses, setting the stage for a long, bloody insurgency.The ways that Western countries would support a Ukrainian resistance are beginning to take shape. Officials have been reluctant to discuss detailed plans, since they’re premised on a Russian military victory that, however likely, hasn’t happened yet. But as a first step, Ukraine’s allies are planning for how to help establish and support a government-in-exile, which could direct guerrilla operations against Russian occupiers, according to several U.S. and European officials.
The weapons the United States have provided to Ukraine’s military, and that continue to flow into the country, would be crucial to the success of an insurgent movement, officials said. The Biden administration has asked Congress, infused with a rare bipartisan spirit in defense of Ukraine, to take up a $10 billion humanitarian aid and military package that includes funding to replenish the stocks of weapons that have already been sent.

Should the United States and its allies choose to back an insurgency, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky would be the pivotal force, officials said, maintaining morale and rallying Ukrainians living under Russian occupation to resist their powerful and well-equipped foe.
The possible Russian takeover of Kyiv has prompted a flurry of planning at the State Department, Pentagon and other U.S. agencies in the event that the Zelensky government has to flee the capital or the country itself.
“We’re doing contingency planning now for every possibility,” including a scenario in which Zelensky establishes a government-in-exile in Poland, said a U.S. administration official, who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive security matter.
Zelensky, who has called himself Russia’s “target No. 1,” remains in Kyiv and has assured his citizens he’s not leaving. He has had discussions with U.S. officials about whether he should move west to a safer position in the city of Lviv, closer to the Polish border. Zelensky’s security detail has plans ready to swiftly relocate him and members of his cabinet, a senior Ukrainian official said. “So far, he has refused to go.”

Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to Zelensky, declined to describe any contingency plans Ukraine was making in the event that Russian forces capture the capital.
“One can only say that Ukraine is preparing for the defense of Kyiv as purposefully as Russia is preparing for its attack on Kyiv,” Podolyak said.“This war has become a people’s war for Ukrainians,” he continued. “We must win the war. There are no other options.”
Volodymyr Ariev, a member of Ukraine’s parliament from the opposition European Solidarity party, expressed confidence that the Rada, Ukraine’s parliament, would continue to be able to meet despite the wartime situation and noted that many lawmakers remain in Kyiv.
“In our party, we didn’t discuss any plan of evacuation, because we don’t want to give up,” Ariev said. “We are not in this government, but we have arms, and we will fight against invaders here, together with the people. This is the only plan we have — no evacuation, nothing.”
[U.S. claims Russia has list of Ukrainians ‘to be killed or sent to camps’ following a military occupation]. Nevertheless, European diplomats, like their American counterparts, are starting to prepare for how to support the Ukrainian government if Kyiv falls or the country is entirely occupied by Russia. A United Nations resolution this past week condemning the invasion, which drew 141 votes, is one element of “laying the groundwork” to recognize Zelensky’s administration as Ukraine’s legitimate government and to keep it afloat even if it no longer controls territory, said a senior European diplomat.
“We haven’t made a plan yet, per se, but it would be something we would be ready to move on right away,” the diplomat said. “In our experience, it helps to know generally you have international support.”
As early as last December, some U.S. officials saw signs that the Ukrainian military was preparing for an eventual resistance, even as Zelensky downplayed the threat of invasion.

During an official visit, a Ukrainian special operations commander told Rep. Michael Waltz (R-Fla.), Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) and other lawmakers that they were shifting training and planning to focus on maintaining an armed opposition, relying on insurgent-like tactics.
Ukrainian officials told the lawmakers that they were frustrated that the United States had not sent Harpoon missiles to target Russian ships and Stinger missiles to attack Russian aircraft, Moulton and Waltz said in separate interviews. The United States diverted some military aid to Ukraine that it had planned to send to Afghanistan, but that package mostly included small arms, ammunition and medical kits meant for a fight against the Taliban, not Russia, said Waltz, who served in Afghanistan as a Special Forces officer.
As the Russian military struggles with logistical challenges — including fuel and food shortages — Waltz anticipates that the Ukrainians will repeatedly strike Russian supply lines. To do that, they need a steady supply of weapons and the ability to set improvised explosive devices, he said.
“Those supply lines are going to be very, very vulnerable, and that’s where you really literally starve the Russian army.”
Moulton, who served in Iraq as a Marine Corps infantry officer, said that he is in favor of sending Harpoons and Stingers — the administration has decided to send the latter weapons, according to a U.S. official and a document obtained by The Washington Post — but that using them also will require training.
“You can’t ship them to Ukraine at the last minute and expect some national guardsman to pick up a Stinger and shoot down an aircraft,” he said. Continuing a resistance campaign will require continued clandestine shipments of small arms, ammunition, explosives and even cold-weather gear.
“Think about the kinds of things that would be used by saboteurs as opposed to an army repelling a frontal invasion,” Moulton said.
Officials remain cautious about overt support for a Ukrainian insurgency lest it draw NATO member countries into direct conflict with Russia. In Moscow’s eyes, support for a Zelensky government operating in Poland could constitute an attack by the alliance, some officials warned.
But Ukraine’s leaders and its citizens aren’t likely to be deterred by NATO’s concerns.

“I doubt very much that the Ukrainians will not continue an underground resistance campaign even after the Russians establish control,” said a senior Western intelligence official.
Moscow has “grossly underestimated Ukraine’s ability to resist,” the official said. “I’m reminded, especially by my eastern colleagues, about Ukrainians themselves. Ukrainians were some of the fiercest fighters … for the Soviets during World War II.” He predicted that a resistance would continue for months and possibly years.
The United States has backed and fought against successful insurgencies. Veterans of such conflicts say that the Ukrainians so far have demonstrated the key ingredient.
“The number one thing you have to have is people on the ground who want to fight,” said Jack Devine, a retired senior CIA officer who ran the agency’s successful covert campaign to arm Afghan fighters who drove out the Soviet military in the 1980s.
If Russian and Ukrainian negotiators who have been meeting near the border in Belarus reach some settlement, that will likely diminish the momentum for an insurgency and support for it, Devine predicted.
Marta Kepe, a senior defense analyst at the Rand Corp. who studies resistance movements, said that they often change during the course of a war.
“As occupation progresses and extends for a longer time, what can start out as a more centralized resistance often changes into smaller resistance groups or units. It is not a negative thing,” she said. “In fact, smaller groups allow more resilience.”
NATO policymakers admire the spirit of the Ukrainian forces, but they also say that their ability to hold out against Russia is not unlimited, especially as stocks of ammunition dwindle and the Russian military extends its encirclement of major cities.
“Russia has more troops than Ukraine,” said a second senior European diplomat. “Ukrainian troops are very brave, but they are already fighting more than a week.”
[As war loomed, U.S. armed Ukraine to hit Russian aircraft, tanks and prep for urban combat, declassified shipment list shows]
Experts in resistance and urban warfare said Russian occupation forces will try to squeeze supply pipelines and cut off cities.

Rita Konaev, director of analysis for Georgetown University’s Center for Security and Emerging Technology, said Ukraine should be preparing its citizens for combat in cities accompanied by mass air and artillery bombardment, which Russia will use to try to reduce the amount of door-to-door fighting that taking cities requires.
Konaev said that Ukrainians should also lay in supplies in advance, because Russian forces will likely disable the electrical grid and cut off access to water in the cities, and that they should establish safe areas underground to survive the aerial bombardment.
Once Russian forces try to move into the cities, Ukrainians will have an advantage because they know the terrain, she said. They can build barriers, destroy bridges to limit entrances into the city, and place snipers on rooftops.
“In urban warfare, defense has the advantage,” Konaev said.
European leaders have been trying to game out what Russian President Vladimir Putin would accept as a potential end state for a defeated Ukraine. Policymakers say they don’t have a clear sense, although the first European diplomat said that Putin might attempt to reduce Ukraine “to a much smaller state.”
[bUnder that scenario, western Ukraine would remain independent. The other territories would be incorporated into Russia, occupied, or declared independent states, as the Kremlin has already done with the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.
But Russia’s ability to impose that vision is “most improbable,” the diplomat said, given the profound anger in Ukraine against the Russian invasion.
“This is a country of 40 million [people],” the diplomat said. The Kremlin “can try to have a strategy. But I think in our strategic calculations we are always forgetting one small obstacle, and that’s the will of the people. Putin has forgotten how to be elected in a democratic way.”
NATO leaders also say that even if Russia captures Kyiv, that would not end the resistance, nor the existence of the Ukrainian state.[/b]
“Russians cannot occupy all the country and subdue it,” said Latvian Defense Minister Artis Pabriks, whose country maintained a diplomatic service in exile for 51 years after it was occupied in 1940 by the Soviet Union. Washington never recognized the annexation of the three Baltic states.
“There will be a partisan war, there will be resistance. So even if Kyiv falls that does not mean the end of the war,” Pabriks said.
Stern reported from Mukachevo, Ukraine. Ellen Nakashima and Paul Sonne contributed to this report.

Pretty interesting all in all, confirms the general viewpoint we've seen from military analysts connected to NATO/western government so far that Russia can afford to grind down Ukraine, but they're just setting themselves up for a doomed occupation. I think Zelenskyy as a symbolic figure is probably extremely crucial, so I hope he's not actually in Kiev anymore.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

smug n stuff posted:

Who do you think Naftali Bennett is lol
Someone super pissed that Vova is attempting ethnic cleansing against Jewish Ukrainians? :shrug:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The US is using Israel as it's diplomat to avoid public knowledge of the Russia - US communicating a solution to this.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

d64 posted:

One reason often given is that the US does not have much of a network of usable rivers and waterways for bulk freight, so there's been a huge demand for rail links.

That’s just not true though. Points at the goddamn Mississippi and intercoastal water ways... again. And lol guess they don’t know about the huge rear end lakes bulk trades either!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Great lakes transportation would be a pretty cushy scenario for maintenance. Boats do well without salt.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Grouchio posted:

Someone super pissed that Vova is attempting ethnic cleansing against Jewish Ukrainians? :shrug:

I would think that if he were that pissed then Israel would, as a first step, maybe impose some sanctions on Russia.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

d64 posted:

It's true that USA is huge on rail transport and this is not commonly known. Compared to Europe, USA moves much more freight by rail both in tonnage and as a percentage. One reason often given is that the US does not have much of a network of usable rivers and waterways for bulk freight, so there's been a huge demand for rail links.

The US doesn't really do rail links for smaller companies, something that is more important in Europe. Moving tons of gross tonnage of the same freight is where US railroads are strong.

Apparently, only a very pitiful 1.36% of the US rail network is electrified, which is pretty sad.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

d64 posted:

. One reason often given is that the US does not have much of a network of usable rivers and waterways for bulk freight, so there's been a huge demand for rail links.

This is completely loving wrong. The river systems of the us are huge and while needing to be dredged and dammed required less work to become navigable than the river systems of Europe. The us is less dense than Europe sure but almost all inland cities east of the Rockies and west of the appalachians are on a river that’s part of the Mississippi River system, save Dallas and okc. That river system is also linked up with the Great Lakes via Chicago river and the st Lawrence river and New York via the other Great Lakes and Erie canal.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kavros posted:

Great lakes transportation would be a pretty cushy scenario for maintenance. Boats do well without salt.

The oldest one I ever boarded was a 1923 build. I had colleagues who surveyed ships built in the 1890’s as late as 2005.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That’s just not true though. Points at the goddamn Mississippi and intercoastal water ways... again. And lol guess they don’t know about the huge rear end lakes bulk trades either!

Its possible to sail most of the US eastern time zone without ever leaving protected water

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Loop

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Idaho has its very own working seaport.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Most petroleum products (gasoline, diesel, natural gas) are transported from the refineries throughout the eastern US via pipeline, as well. Tankers take it from the depots to the gas stations.

Tennessee and Ohio rivers are major shipping arteries, as well. Western US relies more on railroads due to fewer rivers. So the relative importance of various modes depends on where you are.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Thom12255 posted:

I'm not sure what I'm meant to be seeing? Whatever it is it's likely just video compression artifacts.

defocus your eyes. youre supposed to see a spaceship, putins hand is only part of it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

(CW: WAR) Ukraine v Russia: Sadly, we're kinda experts on Nazism. !!READ OP WARNING!!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DeeplyConcerned posted:

defocus your eyes. youre supposed to see a spaceship, putins hand is only part of it.

Always hated those 3D images back in the 90s.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
DW has produced a recap(?) of sorts of the last few days, mostly filmed by their own people in Ukraine: War in Ukraine: A week that shook the world

No narration, just interviews along with speeches by politicians. Note :siren: : Also shots of wounded people giving interviews and other war footage.

Deutsche Welle is a German state-owned broadcaster. They typically do good work, though.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

it would be survivable in a sense if

1) there were indications they were getting meaningful wins in exchange for these losses

For me the most interesting question right now is: how exactly are Ukrainians doing w.r.t. losses? They have a really tight grasp on the opsec side of things it seems, obviously good for them, but also (as a complete amateur) I'm at a loss when trying to figure out how many men, planes, tanks etc Ukraine has lost so far.

I do agree with your second point though that the Russian air just isn't performing well at all. And I'm pretty optimistic about Ukraine's losses as well, even though we lack visibility

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

PerilPastry posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1500168055850213382?s=20&t=0rl4bw0Mv1HCXzRfWilVWg

Was this discussed?

The full quote, thankfully, seems a good deal softer.

""These sanctions that are being imposed are akin to a declaration of war but thank God it has not come to that," Putin said, speaking to a group of flight attendants at an Aeroflot training centre near Moscow."

He also emphasizes that a no-fly zone in Ukraine *would* be considered by Russia to be a step into the military conflict so it seems like their red line remains the same.

You might want to win your first war before starting a second one glad

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Apparently Ivan was trying to clear an apartment building, and thought it would be a good idea to take the elevator to the top.

Ukrainians then cut the power to the building after all the Ivans piled in.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You might want to win your first war before starting a second one vlad
I somehow doubt he wants a second one whether he wins or loses

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Idaho has its very own working seaport.

Yeah the Columbia has a pretty robust grain barge trade down to Portland.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

I'll bet you're wondering how I got in this situation

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/BDStanley/status/1500093881349808128?s=20&t=n-buJlQkIaCj6IVOR0PuCw

Russia's staggering incompetence in this whole thing really is something else. From the top leadership down to the unit level.

:stonk:

It takes a whole lot of effort to be this bad at war.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

go play outside Skyler posted:

https://youtu.be/p7_epng277s

This is a much higher quality version and there's nothing fake about it.

I mean, except the guards with guns pointed at their heads they had to key out

They also edited the table so that the women look like they're not seated 20 metres away from their dear leader, but that's to be expected.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I hope I’m really wrong, but I think some of you are getting carried away with this “Russia is a Keystone Cop,” narrative. I think we’re in danger of reading too much into whatever dribs and drabs we see on social media.

But every day an independent Ukraine is still standing is a good one.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cimber posted:

Apparently Ivan was trying to clear an apartment building, and thought it would be a good idea to take the elevator to the top.

I...I don't know why anyone would take the elevator in active war zone. Feels like an easy way to get trapped and ambushed, let alone get the whole squad in one.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

PerilPastry posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1500168055850213382?s=20&t=0rl4bw0Mv1HCXzRfWilVWg

Was this discussed?

The full quote, thankfully, seems a good deal softer.

""These sanctions that are being imposed are akin to a declaration of war but thank God it has not come to that," Putin said, speaking to a group of flight attendants at an Aeroflot training centre near Moscow."

He also emphasizes that a no-fly zone in Ukraine *would* be considered by Russia to be a step into the military conflict so it seems like their red line remains the same.

Putin isn't gonna start a war with NATO over loving sanctions

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

:eng101: shermans were designed such that the transmission was easily removable! instead of disassembling the entire tank, you only needed to remove the tracks and unbolt the front, at which point you could pop out the entire transmission assembly. it was easy enough to do at a forward repair depot with a hoist, whereas if a german tank transmission poo poo itself it was, as you say, easier to just abandon the thing then drag it back for repair

Fun fact: that idea has stuck around until this very day. I worked briefly with an Uzbekistani armor capain, and he was amazed at how quickly we could remove an entire engine from an Abrams (about 30 minutes taking our time; a fast crew who knew what they were doing could do it in about 15). He said that removing an engine from a T-72 took about 2 days.

He also thought the steering wheel model control for the turret was strange. Russian tanks apparently have a control that moves back and forth, rather than turning like a wheel.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s considered overly casual/familiar. To better understand that, you also need to be aware of existence of formal and informal pronouns in Russian language. When you first meet someone, you’re supposed to use formal pronouns, and their full name and patronymic - and to wait for them to offer you to refer to each other in more casual terms.

German is like this, too, if I remember my German from university. My poor German professors. How they suffered so...

VDV chat: Russian air mobile operations are starting to play like gooninawell.txt.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Despera posted:

They are two very different countries

Yes, but couldn’t Putin at least take some bites from China? Such as 5 Year Plans, SEZ, and nationalizations of key aspects of the economy? Or are the oligarchs truly powerful enough to prevent two of the three above from becoming a reality?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

I...I don't know why anyone would take the elevator in active war zone. Feels like an easy way to get trapped and ambushed, let alone get the whole squad in one.

This is probably the effect of zero training on poor conscripts. If your missing training has made you so disconnected mentally from actually being in a war and this is the first thing you're ordered to do, you'd probably pile in without a second thought.

Until elevator No. 10, when your enemy has noticed you doing this and just cuts the power after you walked in

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Most oil refineries and power plants along the Mississippi/Ohio/Missouri are directly on the river so you can just scoop them up from the barge itself. The coal plants have a little deposit shoot right next to it to put leftover gypsum (byproduct of burning coal) for making drywall

I just want to inform you that a minority of people in the world live around the Mississippi/Ohio/Missouri barge served area.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Not a huge deal but Belarusian consul in Munich resigned in protest.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes, but couldn’t Putin at least take some bites from China? Such as 5 Year Plans, SEZ, and nationalizations of key aspects of the economy? Or are the oligarchs truly powerful enough to prevent two of the three above from becoming a reality?

Nationalization isn't a meaningful concept for Russia. The state is Putin, and everything oligarchs own is by the grace of Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cimber posted:

they really do look like complete teenage dumbasses that have no idea what they're doing or why they're there. i hope they at least got captured alive afterwards