Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

good thread title imo

downward facing doompost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

this image owns. it perfectly captures how hosed we are and why we are hosed

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Wakko posted:

Climate Change Is Taking a Big Bite out of Our Food Supply

we did a lil oopsie woopsie and terraformed earth into a planet that won't be able to support humans by the end of the century

no problem! just have to learn to live with not eating food

no see its ok in the anime Knights of Sidonia many people have been genetically modified to produce energy and nutrients via photosynthesis

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

sauer kraut posted:

You might be joking, but there is no other plan as far as I can see other than nailing the borders shut and keeping pesky reporters out of the peacekeeping zone (like Poland already does in the east, and probably many other places)

im the lone LG in a sea of samsungs

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

500 good dogs posted:

this image owns. it perfectly captures how hosed we are and why we are hosed

its 10x worse when that same number of air conditioners are spread out across a sub-division

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

downward facing doompost

:agreed:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

the bottom ones are all carrier xpowers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I bet that one of the Samsungs failed and was replaced with an LG.

The real pro-choice here is Carrier. They look like they’ve been in service longer and as far as we know, they’re all still running.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Global warming is good for the social security budget and solves the pension problem for corps. Thus it must happen.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
isnt higher co2 going to cause gradual cognitive decline from lack of oxygen?

sauer kraut posted:

You might be joking, but there is no other plan as far as I can see other than nailing the borders shut and keeping pesky reporters out of the peacekeeping zone (like Poland already does in the east, and probably many other places)

i thought the thumbnail was a crypto farm lol

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
if you just pump all the heat outside it's fine. nobody uses outside, anyway.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

just anecdata but i would never buy a samsung unit like that. we bought a house with samsung appliances and every single one of them has been loving awful and riddled with extremely stupid and/or cheap design decisions

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

the realistic version of that line is a sudden vertical drop but i wont tell you when or why

:hai:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mediaphage posted:

just anecdata but i would never buy a samsung unit like that. we bought a house with samsung appliances and every single one of them has been loving awful and riddled with extremely stupid and/or cheap design decisions

Their induction ovens are garbage too. The control module fails and then you basically have a $2000 box to store pans in

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Samsung appliances are horrible, don’t buy them

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nB5ozjoXWU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Karach posted:

Their induction ovens are garbage too. The control module fails and then you basically have a $2000 box to store pans in

yeah not shocked

skooma512 posted:

Samsung appliances are horrible, don’t buy them

nothing expensive from them comes in our house anymore. like id buy a samsung box fan or something if that was a thing, probably, but nothing else

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I have a relatively cheap Samsung TV and it's pretty good, but I'll be damned if I'm buying anything else from them lmao

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

All appliances are horrible and fall apart the thread has discussed this at least 3 or 4 times

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mediaphage posted:

like id buy a samsung box fan or something if that was a thing, probably, but nothing else

Pass because I don’t want to be bothered to open ’er up and bypass the anti‐fan‐death timer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

All appliances are horrible and fall apart the thread has discussed this at least 3 or 4 times

sure, i expect some things to fall apart over time, though

things like the samsung fridge with the flawed drainage pipe placements that freeze up and flood the bottom of the fridge, samsung microwave where the door just failed and the whole microwave had to be discarded, the samsung washing machine with the pot metal bracket that dissolved over time and the whole washer had to be thrown out instead because a new bracket was nearly as expensive as buying a whole new washer, the dishwasher which had an insane number of problems, etc

just not buying their poo poo again

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I just replaced the drain pump on my washer after it started shooting water everywhere, I feel you. Ah well some water damage on that side of the room evens out the water damage on the other side.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
ice makers and water dispensers in fridges are terrible features that cause no end of problems

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

ice makers and water dispensers in fridges are terrible features that cause no end of problems

absolutely true but unrelated to this issue

anyway all these appliances were like a year old when we moved in and we’ve only been here six years. the only things left are the stove (replaced oven fab twice now), dryer, and this godforsaken fridge

let’s just go back to the iceman delivering a block for the cupboard box tia

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Absolutely undercover cop.

They don’t reward snitches like that.

Several of the very tallest trees weren’t cut down. It’s just that we cut down the rest of the forest, depriving the big trees of a wind break, destroying the soil, and dooming them through many other second‐order effects.

I say this not because it makes it better, but because it makes it worse that we are still loving doing it.

This is Big Lonely Doug. The old growth forest around him was clear cut only ten years ago.

He’s only seventy metres tall, but that qualifies as the second tallest in Canada today.

There were once members of his species perhaps twice as tall.

mourning wood

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
There's a funny anecdote from Yugopink where he describes a meeting between Western and Soviet fridge manufacturing engineers. Take this with a grain of salt.

Both sides worry that the other would lose their job over how they design their equipment.

The Western engineers are baffled, because Soviet fridges were designed to last a minimum of 25 years, and be repairable by a family at home.

The Soviet engineers, on the other hand, are horrified - if they built fridges designed to become obsolete (and replaceable) within a few years, then they'd be out of a job!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

I like the McDonad's dollar menu, simply the best value for money.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

mourning wood

yeah, rip

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Empty Champlain Towers garage offers rare window into impact of sea rise underground

quote:

As sea levels rose from climate change, a new study found, flooding in the underground garage at the beachside Champlain Towers South became more common. Much more common.

In the FIU study, Randall Parkinson, a professor of hydrogeology, compared the elevation of the garage floor with sea levels from monitoring stations in Miami Beach. He found water levels were higher than the garage floor about 244 times a year between 1994 and 2006. From 2007 to 2020, that number nearly tripled to 636 times a year.
That means that in the most recent decade, sea level was above the Champlain garage floor nearly every day at both high tide events. Add in groundwater, freshwater that floats on top of saltwater that has pushed in along the coast, and the potential for flooding virtually doubles.

“It’s pretty mind-boggling,” Parkinson said.

Threat from below: Sea rise is pushing up groundwater — and flood risks for South Florida

quote:

As global warming swells sea levels, groundwater rises too. But unlike the climate change-driven threats from tides, rain and storm surge, groundwater has been an often ignored and little understood enemy.

That’s quickly changing. Scientists say there is now enough data to show that rising groundwater levels will add to flood risks for South Florida — particularly in low-lying areas or coastal areas that already see repeated problems during heavy rains, like Little River and North Miami.

And new studies, like one charting sharp increases in sea rise at the site of Champlain Towers South, point to potential concerns beyond flooding. The Florida International University analysis found the number of times per year sea level rose higher than the underground garage floor of the doomed Surfside condo has nearly tripled over the last 30 years.
Current predictions show Miami-Dade could see around two feet of sea level rise by 2060. And research done by FIU scientists in North Miami, one of the areas where groundwater levels are already high, shows that groundwater is rising at the same rate as the sea. The study projects that sections of North Miami could go from experiencing about three months of rain-driven flooding a year now to six months a year by 2060. And that was considered a conservative estimate.
“It rains and there’s nowhere for the water to go,” said Katie Hagemann, the deputy chief resilience officer for the county. “In a handful of pockets, we are at that point where the groundwater is just so close we have to think of something else to address those flooding challenges. Either raise the homes and then the roads or in some sort of concert there.”

In those pockets, high groundwater doesn’t just mean more flooding. It can also cause septic tanks to back up and spew waste in yards and homes because they have no place to drain.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Initially was here to bear witness.

Now I'm just here for the fuckin show.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mediaphage posted:

I've had enough of dealing with Samsung's stupid design choices for five lifetimes. Worse than Broadcom, the shits. Impossible to repair and annoying to use, more for the landfill.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

i hate to sound like "that guy"* but samsung's branding dept. is just awful

Techwin K9 Thunder is almost as dumb sounding as their old phone UI, Touchwiz for Android Nougat

*is that guy

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Under 25 years with home appliances is unacceptable. Who makes that kind of junk? Do I have to buy garbage too if/when something breaks eventually?

My Rosenlew fridge and Siemens dishwasher are 20 years old. My Electrolux hob, oven, hood and microwave are 9 years old. I think my parents have changed their appliances every 20-30 years. They have lived in their current home for 42 years and they are on their 2nd fridge.

My home is on bedrock, 105m over ocean. There is a lake nearby which is 95m and it drains to a lake with 77m height from ocean. I will die but not by drowning in a flood, hopefully.

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 05:12 on Mar 7, 2022

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Under 25 years with home appliances is unacceptable. Who makes that kind of junk? Do I have to buy garbage too if/when something breaks eventually?

My Rosenlew fridge and Siemens dishwasher are 20 years old. My Electrolux hob, oven, hood and microwave are 9 years old. I think my parents have changed their appliances every 20-30 years. They have lived in their current home for 42 years and they are on their 2nd fridge.

My home is on bedrock, 105m over ocean. There is a lake nearby which is 95m and it drains to a lake with 77m height from ocean. I will die but not by drowning in a flood, hopefully.

I had a Gorenje fridge go bad after 2 years. I replaced it with a Samsung that was on sale lmao. When it dies in 2 years I'm going to bite the bullet and get a Miele.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

net work error posted:

groundwater has been an often ignored and little understood enemy

Do not, my friends,

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/SallyMayweather/status/1500632872243314693

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

we've got a samsung microwave that's an over-the-stove unit

it's fine, but of course despite having a vent function it's not actually hooked up to anything. and there's no way to mute it (without figuring out where the speaker is and permanently busting it, anyway)

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/RigoHC/status/1500696665254207490
Nancy confirmed Chrono Trigger fan

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Good morning

Monday morning

An arbitrary distinction in a series of rotations

Holy poo poo we're all gonna die

is what I don't say in my meetings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
To be perfectly fair, the green new ice cream (Shamrock shakes are back, consumerist cattle! Consume more oil!)* is a totally ridiculous boondoggle that presumes we can moneyprint our way to full renewables

*Tartrazine, also referred to as FD&C yellow #5, is an artificial (synthetic) food dye. It is one of several azo food dyes that are made from petroleum products.

*Blue No. 1 is called "brilliant blue" and, as is typical of modern dyes, was originally derived from coal tar, although most manufacturers now make it from an oil base.