Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spookykid posted:

"Yo, the Duke of Normandy is about to invade; get rid of that woodcut!"

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fry died as he lived.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My sympathies and best wishes to these people, but wow, "dank warm sperm in the car" is a phrase that is going to live rent-free in my head. It sounds more like someone misplacing a lab sample than anything sexy happening.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

My sympathies and best wishes to these people, but wow, "dank warm sperm in the car" is a phrase that is going to live rent-free in my head. It sounds more like someone misplacing a lab sample than anything sexy happening.

I just looked it up and it's actually titled "Drank warm sperm in the car".

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Are there people out there that prefer their sperm chilled?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fools Infinite posted:

Shaken, not stirred

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fools Infinite posted:

Revenge is a jizz best served cold.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Change "drank warm" to "guzzled hot" and I'm in!

Wait, what thread is this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Caffeine is really dangerous by the standards of powders that aren’t hard drugs, sold to the public for deliberate ingestion, but, like, a lethal dose is still more mass/volume than most people add in sugar.

If you’re adding it by the teaspoon, you’ve hosed up.

quote:

The hearing was told the scales Mr Mansfield had used to measure the powder had a weighing range from two to 5,000 grams, whereas he was attempting to weigh a recommended dose of 60-300mg.

It was this miscalculation which led to a massive overdose.

[…]

Mr Gittins said it appeared Mr Mansfield had been aiming for the "mid-range of the recommended dose", but "he got his maths wrong" and there were "unintended consequences" which had a fatal effect.

Metric kills.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Related story on the Beeb:

Northumbria University 'life-threatening' caffeine test fine
25 January 2017

quote:

A university has been fined after two students suffered "life-threatening" effects when they were given 100 times too much caffeine in an experiment.

Northumbria University told Newcastle Crown Court it was "deeply, genuinely sorry" as it was fined £400,000.

Sports science students Alex Rossetta and Luke Parkin were each given the equivalent of 300 cups of coffee.

They were admitted to intensive care for dialysis after the calculation error led to violent side-effects.

Prosecutor Adam Farrer told the court the overdose "could easily have been fatal".

Peter Smith, defending, said the university wished to "emphasise that they take the welfare of their students and staff seriously".

The students had volunteered to take part in a test in March 2015 aimed at measuring the effect of caffeine on exercise.

They were given 30g of caffeine instead of 0.3g, Mr Farrer said.

Death had previously been reported after consumption of just 18g, he told the court.

The university had switched from using caffeine tablets to powder, he said.

"The staff were not experienced or competent enough and they had never done it on their own before," he said.

"The university took no steps to make sure the staff knew how to do it."

The calculation had been done on a mobile phone, with the decimal point in the wrong place, and there was no risk assessment.

Both men have made a full physical recovery, though Mr Rossetta had reported short-term memory loss, the court heard.

The university admitted the health and safety breach at a hearing last month.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Thirty goddamn grams?! Christ on a cracker!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Honestly that sounds like something a Personal trainer would do.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I was going to comment that 200 actual cups , even if theyre the weird/smaller industry cups the coffee/tea industry uses, of ~100 mL is probably going to kill you from water poisoning before the caffine, but yeah caffine powder , rip.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Why even take the risk? Instant coffee is not expensive and easy to measure by the teaspoon, why risk it with the concentrated stuff?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sometimes the heart needs a workout

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

How the hell do you accidentally measure out 30 FREAKIN GRAMS. lethal dose is known to be as low as 5g. I'm surprised those students survived at all.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

By popular demand posted:

Why even take the risk? Instant coffee is not expensive and easy to measure by the teaspoon, why risk it with the concentrated stuff?

It's cheap and not risky unless you can't figure out how to measure things. I think I paid 12 bucks for 500g of caffeine powder many years ago and I still have most of the container because why would you use more than 500mg or so at once?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
"Why do I need to know this? I'll always have my phone with me!!"

Ah I remember those students. Here they come.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Platystemon posted:

Metric kills.

Metric works fantastic, it's Americans who are faulty :colbert:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Ceffeine powder intense poo poo, there's a bunch of people who have died due to overdose on that due to measuring errors.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
All this poo poo is making me want to switch to decaf sooner than later. Probably better for me in the long run but gently caress I’m not looking forward to the withdrawal symptoms.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Metric works fantastic, it's Americans who are faulty :colbert:

:smith::hf::smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cartoon Man posted:

All this poo poo is making me want to switch to decaf sooner than later. Probably better for me in the long run but gently caress I’m not looking forward to the withdrawal symptoms.

That’s exactly what big caffeine wants. :tinfoil:

The caffeine extracted from your decaffeinated beans is a valuable product for the industry, and with no caffeine tolerance, you’ll be an easy target for their agents.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Platystemon posted:

with no caffeine tolerance, you’ll be an easy target for their agents

My coffee habit just disappeared literally overnight last year, not even any withdrawal or anything. It's been so long now that I assume my heart will explode if I ever slip up and drink a cup

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Rysithusiku posted:

How the hell do you accidentally measure out 30 FREAKIN GRAMS. lethal dose is known to be as low as 5g. I'm surprised those students survived at all.

Known to whom? I think a quick series of people-in-the-street interviews would explode any notion that this is a widely-known number.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fools Infinite posted:

It's not so much a preference as... OK have you ever seen those Russian winter boiling water videos?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

gleebster posted:

Known to whom? I think a quick series of people-in-the-street interviews would explode any notion that this is a widely-known number.

You mean you don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the lethal dose of various common chemicals?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

EasilyConfused posted:

You mean you don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the lethal dose of various common chemicals?

I've wasted my life.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Box of human heads stolen from truck in Denver

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's no way to get ahead in life.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, guess those sequels to Se7en aren't happening anymore.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O163ogpOI7k

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Metric kills.

You're not kidding. Would have lived if he were reading a recipe written in drams, pinches, and smidgens.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

They were all marked "Abby Normal"

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
tldr: Yep you'll lose caffeine tolerance, but people are rather stupid in any case.

Platystemon posted:

The caffeine extracted from your decaffeinated beans is a valuable product for the industry, and with no caffeine tolerance, you’ll be an easy target for their agents.
For those wanting to reduce, I went through tea a bit before switching to water. It wasn't so much a personal goal as just happening, plus the realization years earlier that coffee really want doing anything. I don't recall any withdrawal symptoms (other than the Bush years! :downsrim:).

I can acknowledge that you lose your tolerance. Just a little bit now works wonders, reduces pain, but makes me a bit hyper if I'm not doing something physical with the energy. It can mess up sleep as well, so you have to be careful when you drink it.

Aside: I've never been able to fathom coffee after supper, like in every movie up through the 60s. Seriously, you're going to dump a cup of acid in your stomach and go to sleep? No wonder you have ulcers.

[quote "gleebster" post="521926620"]
[/quote]
While I don't disagree with the sentiment, I think it would only prove general stupidity and not specific knowledge. People are literally addicted to coffee. They drink a trillion cups a year. They also drink Monster and power shots and tons of things marketed on their caffeine content. "200mg!!! Get your morning coffee all at once!!!"

These are going to get you quite different responses:
"Would you drink 500 cups of coffee?"
"Would you drink 30g worth of caffeine?"
"How much caffeine is in a cup of coffee?"
"Here's a 25g bottle of caffeine. Would you consume all this?" (the bottle is about the same size as a cup of coffee)

If they had been using capsules or pills before, they'd have 250 tablets at 100mg. "Oh we use four of these in the experiment". That does not become "ten servings per bottle" without a more general failure to understand scale/magnitude.

Maybe they hadn't drank their morning coffee.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
See, I don't drink coffee or any of that monster energy garbage. Again, I have wasted my life.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Aside: I've never been able to fathom coffee after supper, like in every movie up through the 60s. Seriously, you're going to dump a cup of acid in your stomach and go to sleep? No wonder you have ulcers.

I only started drinking coffee in my 30s when I realized I could drink it after dinner instead of craving desserts or more food. Now I drink it to keep myself from eating junk throughout the day.

Like pretty much everything, coffee and caffeine affect different people in different ways. I travel for work and will often have a cup of coffee when I get to a hotel before I go to bed. I have no issues falling to sleep, sleep through the night and don’t have ulcers.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
If you have ADHD or other issues with your brain not producing enough dopamine then caffeine can have a paradoxical reaction of causing you to become sleepy. I often have a short black espresso after dinner because I find it helps me fall asleep :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Cacafuego posted:

often have a cup of coffee when I get to a hotel before I go to bed. I have no issues falling to sleep, sleep through the night and don’t have ulcers.
This is exactly my reason for not drinking coffee. :classiclol: In college I'd come back from the lab at 1130pm, get a double shot mocha, and be asleep at midnight. "Well this sure is pointless!"

I still went with the crowd in grad school most of the time, because it was only once or twice a week, but I started faking it with hot chocolate. My first job is when I passed through tea on my way to water.

In any case, I'm not chugging down half a bottle of any vitamin nor crushing it into my meals because, durrr, overdose.

ps Yay someone can start the new page with a different topic.