Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
I'm reading Cyber Mage and it rocks. Saad Hossain is good as hell and I think the thread is sleeping on him. My theory is people saw 'Bangladeshi author examines Iraq War' and assumed he did dour guilt-inducing post-colonial work. In fact its really fun post-colonial work. He reads sort of like Neal Stephenson but without all of Stephenson's bullshit.

Read The Gurkha and the Lord of Tuesday and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have read books 1-3 of Stormlight archive. I remember that a guy carried bridges at book 1. Then there's this Shallan woman who probably did something. I can't remeber anything else. Is there some 100 word recap about 1-3 or so? Something like in WoT where Satan wants to destroy everything and a bunch of characters go out to a world tour to prevent utter destruction.

I guess this is the "shortest" plot recap available: https://www.tor.com/2020/11/11/before-rhythm-of-war-a-quick-and-dirty-recap-of-brandon-sandersons-stormlight-archive/comment-page-1/

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 6, 2022

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Since we're on the subject of Sanderson, I'm looking for some new fantasy to listen to for my commute. I enjoyed Wheel of Time, and I've either read or listened to the audiobook versions of the Mistborn/Stormlight series. I read Tolkien as an adolescent, and some other misc. fantasy novels, so I'm generally pretty easygoing with the genre. I'm not super interested in anything with the Game Of Thrones level of grittiness/darkness, though I did appreciate the 'war is hell' commentary in Stormlight.

What should I listen to next? Who's got a good audiobook fantasy trilogy I should dive into next?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Shadow of what was Lost by James Islington was enjoyable for that. Never got too dark and gritty, has noticeable Wheel of the Time DNA and the characters aren't complete goofuses typically making bad choices for understandable reasons.

I like Sanderson just fine, in my mind he kind of occupies the Dan Brown or James Patterson niche of Fantasy/Sci fi.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Larry Parrish posted:

if we go by sheer volume of books mines probably e.m. foner lmfao. who has written about 30 of what is basically the exact same book, but I'm here for it.

they foner e.m. in

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I like Sanderson just fine, in my mind he kind of occupies the Dan Brown or James Patterson niche of Fantasy/Sci fi.

So Sanderson is basically just writing fantasy flavoured airport novels?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hel posted:

So Sanderson is basically just writing fantasy flavoured airport novels?

he’s the Tom Clancy of fantasy, from the doorstopper length to the obsession with technical details and total humorlessness

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

buffalo all day posted:

and total humorlessness

Wayne and The Lopen are amusing. :colbert:

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
Just finished KJ Parker's Practical Guide to Conquering the World, his third "Siege" book. Probably my least favorite of the three but still good. Glad I read it. However he reminds me of later Iain M Banks in that he has this ideological belief that story structure and individual agency is a lie that he can't bring himself to tell, so in each of the Siege books (no details, just thematic/tone of ending spoiler) the first 90% is unrealistic story genius hero stuff and then at the last second he kneecaps the protagonist, has a damp squib sort of ending, and is like, hey man that's just life, you know. Which is fair, except why do the first 90% as contrived The Martian poo poo then? Just write literary fiction about professors cheating on their spouses if you want realism, sheesh. Per the Sanderson discussion, of course the answer is those realistic books win awards but no one buys them. Ol' KJ's gotta put food on the table but still look at himself in the mirror and see an artist. I enjoy mocking the hypocrisy here but these really are mostly fun books, just harder to recommend to friends than they should be.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Can someone who's read 84K by Claire North just very carefully spoil for me if things will work out well or hopefully in the end? Because I'm adoring this book but it's tearing my loving heart out and if the main characters die or fail at the end I think I will cry.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I just finished up Ten Low which I avoided because of the blurb's comparison to Firefly. It also mentions Dune. It's barely like either one, except it's a sort of sci-fi western taking place on a desert moon. I assumed because of the reference to Firefly it would replace dialogue with quips, but it wasn't so bad. Characters aren't incredible, but it's fairly readable with an interesting dash of quantum immortality without ever saying the words.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Lex Talionis posted:

Just finished KJ Parker's Practical Guide to Conquering the World, his third "Siege" book. Probably my least favorite of the three but still good. Glad I read it. However he reminds me of later Iain M Banks in that he has this ideological belief that story structure and individual agency is a lie that he can't bring himself to tell, so in each of the Siege books (no details, just thematic/tone of ending spoiler) the first 90% is unrealistic story genius hero stuff and then at the last second he kneecaps the protagonist, has a damp squib sort of ending, and is like, hey man that's just life, you know. Which is fair, except why do the first 90% as contrived The Martian poo poo then? Just write literary fiction about professors cheating on their spouses if you want realism, sheesh. Per the Sanderson discussion, of course the answer is those realistic books win awards but no one buys them. Ol' KJ's gotta put food on the table but still look at himself in the mirror and see an artist. I enjoy mocking the hypocrisy here but these really are mostly fun books, just harder to recommend to friends than they should be.
I thought the same; feels like his cynicism creeps in and taps the reader on the shoulder to remind people that it's a tall tale, all virtue has a base desire at the back of it, and we live in an ironic uncaring universe. I especially was disappointed with the way he wrote the companions of the main characters who are shrewish, selfish, unfriendly people in all three (or at least two of the three) books like they were all modeled on an ex from a bad breakup.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 6, 2022

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FHBV4ZX/

Shards of Earth (Final Architecture #1) by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HLPZY6X/

The Shadow of the Gods (Bloodsworn #1) by John Gwynne - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HLQL1B2/

Light from Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QGJDSCK/

Comfort Me with Apples by Catherynne M Valente - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QGMHGX8/

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Can someone who's read 84K by Claire North just very carefully spoil for me if things will work out well or hopefully in the end? Because I'm adoring this book but it's tearing my loving heart out and if the main characters die or fail at the end I think I will cry.

I attempted to read 84K and had to stop, but I did peak at the end and IIRC it is happy-ish.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

pradmer posted:

If you've enjoyed anything he's done so far, I think this is unambiguously his best work. Pretty good story, actual characters rather than cutouts. Would recommend.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

FPyat posted:

I'm rereading Diaspora by Greg Egan and it's still as mind-expandingly impactful as the day I first started reading it. Are there any other examples of fiction writing that delves super-deep into software processes? The only other examples that I can think of are the chapter in Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds where the ship's subroutine examines sensor data, and Crystal Society by Max Harms, written from the perspective of a half-dozen AI processes collectively managing a single robot body.

Iain Banks' Excession has a bunch of machine-time sequences that I really loved, particularly the drone POV opening sequence.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

pradmer posted:

Light from Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QGJDSCK/

I have the Tchaikovsky in the to-read queue, but this one had too many good reviews I've seen all over to resist, even though I'm trying to limit to just books on my wishlist on sale as the queue is getting too big while a project eats most of my limited spare time

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Danhenge posted:

If you've enjoyed anything he's done so far, I think this is unambiguously his best work. Pretty good story, actual characters rather than cutouts. Would recommend.

Seconded, I picked out up in a sale a while ago and it's an absolute belter.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Tars Tarkas posted:

I have the Tchaikovsky in the to-read queue, but this one had too many good reviews I've seen all over to resist, even though I'm trying to limit to just books on my wishlist on sale as the queue is getting too big while a project eats most of my limited spare time

thanks for flagging this, got it for free after my credits! Looking forward to it

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

pradmer posted:

Why is Adrian Tchaikovsky never on sale on Amazon.ca? Getting so sick of this poo poo, I’m dirt poor, and his stuff is barely even available at my library :catstare:

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

NoneMoreNegative posted:

they foner e.m. in

:mad:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

buffalo all day posted:

thanks for flagging this, got it for free after my credits! Looking forward to it

I usually forum search books I'm not familiar with so thanks to DurianGray for posting about it.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

pradmer posted:

I usually forum search books I'm not familiar with so thanks to DurianGray for posting about it.

Oh yeah, that was in one of my Booklord challenge writeups from January. It somehow feels like forever since I read it. I'll go ahead and crosspost my little synopsis here in case anyone else is interested while it's on sale. (And to be clear with the last sentence, I wasn't saying those elements are a bad thing, mostly just that there's a tiny bit of grit in a few places, but overall the whole thing is very positive/optimistic.):

Light From Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki
A trans girl runs away from home with not much but her violin. A violin teacher who's running out of time to fulfill a Faustian pact is in need of a new violin student. There's a rogue starship captain/space alien who runs a donut shop? This is a really weird mix of things but it kind of all works together in a sort of Becky Chambers-esque way. I appreciate that Aoki doesn't downplay how lovely it can be to exist as a trans kid in an unaccepting family, but the rest of the story is very fantastic and wish-fulfillment-y with a very tidy (too tidy?) happy ending, so know that's what you're getting if you pick it up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

pseudorandom name posted:

I attempted to read 84K and had to stop, but I did peak at the end and IIRC it is happy-ish.

Cheers, friend. The goodreads reviews are hilariously filled with people who can't abide a non-standard writing style and are *furious* about it instead of just, like, not reading the book then.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/freezingkiwi/status/1500650830394888193

https://twitter.com/freezingkiwi/status/1500651922243534848

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

FPyat posted:

I'm rereading Diaspora by Greg Egan and it's still as mind-expandingly impactful as the day I first started reading it. Are there any other examples of fiction writing that delves super-deep into software processes? The only other examples that I can think of are the chapter in Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds where the ship's subroutine examines sensor data, and Crystal Society by Max Harms, written from the perspective of a half-dozen AI processes collectively managing a single robot body.
It's a tangential topic in a bunch of Vernor Vinge's work. A bunch of A Fire Upon The Deep is about packet routing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I haven't read these, but I have read some other stuff of hers and it was The Good poo poo.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

FPyat posted:

There a funny bit about this sort of thing in the beginning of Adams' "Mostly Harmless". It's close enough into the beginning that the whole of it is in the sample preview on Amazon, and is a quick little read.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Freezing Kiwi has never once steered me wrong with any of his recommendations, so I'm picking this up

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

FPyat posted:

The Quantum Thief by Rajaniemi and its sequels, maybe? Sort of?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tars Tarkas posted:

I first heard of the controversy over where the idea came from when the Scalzi novel hit, in a way it seems quaint because the idea of cute alien pets that may be more than that seems so basic of an idea but like 80 years ago so many of our common tropes were just gleams in some weirdo's eyes.

Wherever the idea came from, I really like the Fuzzy series. There are two sequels by Piper, so skip the Scalzi.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

FPyat posted:

one of the POV characters in Slant is an AI

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Nomnom Cookie posted:

The first book in the series, Queen of Angels, deals in part with the AI becoming sentient. Both good books, some of Greg Bear's best work in my opinion. There"s also Ai stuff in the linked (though rather slight) novella, Heads.

There's lots of AI POV stuff in Ken MacLeod "Corporation Wars" trilogy but I didn't find it a very satisfying story.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

A Woman of the Iron People is good chill anthropological sci-fi

now it's on the list

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Winter's Orbit by Everina Maxwell might be up your alley. Space Opera that's actually just a gay romance in space trappings. Probably my favorite book of last year

May not qualify as completely chill because of a depiction of abuse? Definitely humanistic though.

slowly realizing that gay romance in space trapping is the great (and just) shadow over the genre.

Larry Parrish posted:

healer's road, the earthcent series by e. m. foner

thank ye

DurianGray posted:

I think it's been a while since it last came up by maybe the Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire? The books are varying levels of interconnected, but they mostly center around a boarding school for kids who were sucked into various portal dimensions and then got sent back to the 'real' world (some by choice, many not, and most want to go back to their portal worlds). They get a little dark sometimes, but I think there's a sort of Chambers-esque humanism underlying them that keeps them mostly optimistic, or at 'worst,' bittersweet (they're also all very quick novellas for what that's worth).

I read the first three. not quite the genre I'm looking for here, but very good.

tiniestacorn posted:

I think you'd really like The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein. Also Jaran, by Kate Elliott.

bounced off this one a while back, despite the fun metaplot. thanks for the rec tho.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lawrence watt-evans.

Start with The Misenchanted Sword. Very 80s but ahead of the curve on humanity.

very 80s is what i've trained my whole life for

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

tokenbrownguy posted:

slowly realizing that gay romance in space trapping is the great (and just) shadow over the genre.
yuri gagarin

pepsicake
Jul 22, 2021

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Recommended if you’re into people brooding on dying planets, long walks through dusty abandoned cities, and meditations on the significance of names, both given and chosen.

Anymore recs for this kind of sf?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

pepsicake posted:

Anymore recs for this kind of sf?

Gene Wolfe’s the book of the new sun springs immediately to mind

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

tokenbrownguy posted:

idk about "hopepunk" or w/e but I could use some more chill and humanistic books ala Becky Chambers

I've recently read:
everything Chambers
The Goblin Emperor / Speaker
Legends & Lattes
a lot of Elizabeth Bear

Anything else along those lines to recommend?

I don't think I have anything that hasn't already been recommended (although I'll keep thinking) but I wanted to thank you for the mention of Legends & Lattes, I read it yesterday and it was comfy as hell.

E: actually the Tales of Inthya series by Effie Calvin might fit the bill if you're ok with a bunch of romance in your fantasy

They all follow the same formula, but the formula is basically "take someone from an abusive shithole past and put them in an environment full of friendly and supportive people and watch things get better for them"

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 7, 2022

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Nomnom Cookie posted:

That's a Greg Bear book I hadn't heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
This was mentioned weeks ago, it's a wonderful novel, and it's on sale for $3 on US ebook today The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECE9OD4

Just read the blurb or the sample and if it sounds interesting pick it up, it's great.