Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

Do we have a consensus on the best dishwasher in tyool 2022? My old GE has finally started costing me more time/parts than I care to put into it.

Or should I just lay my tax refund dick on the table and get a bosch 800?

Look in your heart, rap sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

H110Hawk posted:

Look in your heart, rap sheet.

This is probably a really good burn but I don't get it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Crap this is the BFC thread and I have no power here to smite down heretics against the Bosch dishwasher supremacy cult.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Deviant posted:

Do we have a consensus on the best dishwasher in tyool 2022? My old GE has finally started costing me more time/parts than I care to put into it.

Or should I just lay my tax refund dick on the table and get a bosch 800?

IMO Bosch but good luck finding one

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

looks like i'm gonna get an 800 series delivered then. just checking.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Upgrade posted:

IMO Bosch but good luck finding one

Ordered mine in August. In January Bosch got in touch with my dealer for the first time. :shrug:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Lowes claims they can have it to me on wednesday, i am skeptical but we will see.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

Lowes claims they can have it to me on wednesday, i am skeptical but we will see.

Wednesday, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Our oven died and even if I could get it repaired, I’m not sure I’d want to. It’s a 2012 Frigidaire builders grade electric glass ceramic range.

If my budget for a new oven is up to $1,500, what typically should I be looking toward if I’m looking electric. It seems like for that much I could get a nice glass ceramic radiant, but I also noticed that Frigidaire (and the IKEA units they make) have induction options in the $1250-1450 range.

Is induction at that price, with the obvious trade offs I’d assume got it there, make it worthwhile over a higher end radiant type?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

SourKraut posted:

Our oven died and even if I could get it repaired, I’m not sure I’d want to. It’s a 2012 Frigidaire builders grade electric glass ceramic range.

If my budget for a new oven is up to $1,500, what typically should I be looking toward if I’m looking electric. It seems like for that much I could get a nice glass ceramic radiant, but I also noticed that Frigidaire (and the IKEA units they make) have induction options in the $1250-1450 range.

Is induction at that price, with the obvious trade offs I’d assume got it there, make it worthwhile over a higher end radiant type?
I can't really comment on the trade-off between a low grade induction vs higher end radiant but I personally would never go back to any kind of radiant electric. I'm on Team Gas but if forced to go electric, induction all the way. Wouldn't even consider radiant.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
poo poo, I was just putting away some things in the guest bedroom closet and noticed some water stains on the ceiling in there. I haven't looked inside there in like six months, so who knows how long that's been there. It's a single-story house, so the only thing between that ceiling and the roof is an insulation-filled attic.

Would I call a roofer for this? I have home insurance and a home warranty that I've been meaning to cancel since I've never used it, but for the time being I have it); would I contact one of them about it first? I'm sorry, I'm very incompetent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SourKraut posted:

I hear a lot of love, including from some professional chefs, for induction. I've never heard any benefits of ceramic radiant other than "easy to clean". Radiant doesn't heat as fast, will burn you if you touch the glass, is less efficient.

I'm team resistance burner till I die, because I have a lot of expensive All-Clad that doesn't have enough steel to work, as well as heavy aluminum stockpots. Yes, I have tested the All-Clad with a magnet.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

surf rock posted:

poo poo, I was just putting away some things in the guest bedroom closet and noticed some water stains on the ceiling in there. I haven't looked inside there in like six months, so who knows how long that's been there. It's a single-story house, so the only thing between that ceiling and the roof is an insulation-filled attic.

Would I call a roofer for this? I have home insurance and a home warranty that I've been meaning to cancel since I've never used it, but for the time being I have it); would I contact one of them about it first? I'm sorry, I'm very incompetent.

You can cross home warranty off the list because they will cover exactly zero parts of that entire situation. Would be a complete waste of time calling them. No drywall, paint, or roof coverage.

Goons will give you the standard “never use homeowners insurance unless it is over ~10k in damage” warnings and it will be up to you on that aspect

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
First off, is it still wet? Has it rained (or other precipitation) in that time frame? Are you willing and able to crawl around in your attic to see if there is an obvious source?

If there's no water running over that section including things like air conditioning condensate drains then a roofer is who you call. It's probably not going to cost as much as you think unless you truly need a new roof. Then it costs way more. :v:

Insurance is for sudden catastrophic loss of something. This being 6 months old and non-catastrophic means it's not appropriate for insurance at this time.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

H110Hawk posted:

First off, is it still wet? Has it rained (or other precipitation) in that time frame? Are you willing and able to crawl around in your attic to see if there is an obvious source?

If there's no water running over that section including things like air conditioning condensate drains then a roofer is who you call. It's probably not going to cost as much as you think unless you truly need a new roof. Then it costs way more. :v:

Insurance is for sudden catastrophic loss of something. This being 6 months old and non-catastrophic means it's not appropriate for insurance at this time.

This is great advice, thank you (and thank you too, Inner Light).

- OK, it's not wet.
- It has snowed and rained a lot in the past six months (I live in the Midwest).
- I'm not able to get around the attic to check myself, unfortunately.
- The air conditioner unit outside the house is actually right next to that bedroom closet; I didn't think of that. In that case, should I call an HVAC company first?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you have a leak, the first place I'd start is with a roofer. And for slow-rolling leaks, I have definitely gone through my homeowner's insurance in the past and had no problems.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Deviant posted:

There are many Wednesdays

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

There are many Wednesdays

I canceled that after an immediate delay. Saturday, from Best Buy, I'm told.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are roof tuneups a real formal term? We have tile roofs with some cracked and slipped tiles, and all the flashing around vents is just a mortar blob. Our original inspector recommended that specifically, but no one I talk to here knows what that is; is this just a roof repair in fancier terms? I assumed it was some sort of complete routine maintenance.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sounds like misinterpretation of casual language, maybe? Your roof is in good shape, but some small things need attention?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Lol owning a house is so expensive. Got gutters cleaned last month. Getting them resealed/repositioned on Friday, and cleaned, But the gutter guy said they're not in spec (4 inches vs minimum of 5) so they need to be replaced anyway. We'll hold out as long as possible of course. He also pointed out that due to the trees, we'll need them cleaned every 2 weeks. So we're now getting tree guys over to get the trees trimmed. At least one thing is positive: the internet says that this is the best time of the year to get them trimmed.

edit: never encountered 'getting trees trimmed' IRL, so asking here. All of the trees are on our property, some are getting close to / touching neighbor's houses. Looking on the internet, it seems that's basically their problem.

Since I'm getting the trees trimmed anyway, would it be super weird / way more expensive, to say to the neighbours as a friendly gesture 'I can get them trimmed on your side too' ? Or is that setting a precedent that I'd be paying for in the future?

redreader fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 8, 2022

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

PageMaster posted:

Are roof tuneups a real formal term? We have tile roofs with some cracked and slipped tiles, and all the flashing around vents is just a mortar blob. Our original inspector recommended that specifically, but no one I talk to here knows what that is; is this just a roof repair in fancier terms? I assumed it was some sort of complete routine maintenance.

Yes. I met with a roofer today and that's what they recommended before they flew the drone around and said I should get a new roof instead (hail damage).

edit: you could also call it roof preventative maintenance

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 8, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
They're your trees and trimming them keeps them healthy, it won't cost you anything more to just have the entire tree trimmed than to have them just trim what's over your house. The expense is to mobile the boom truck and the workers, if it costs an extra hour or three you won't notice it.

Take good care of your trees, it takes a long time to replace them.

Also don't worry about them gutters, we'll get a good hailstorm at some point and you'll get a new roof with new gutters if you want. Check now that your insurance covers code updates.

Edit: also yes talk to your neighbors but make it a foregone conclusion, "hi Charlie, I'm getting these trees trimmed on Monday can you keep your dogs in and keep the gate unlocked so we can get through here?"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah my neighbor just had his pruned a couple months back and came up to me the night before asking if it was okay to come on my property if needed. I said sure, I much rather have healthier trees than play some weird territory game.

So if they need to potentially run equipment on your neighbor's property I would definitely get a conversation about that ahead of time. If you have the budget I'd also upgrade the gutters and get gutter guards on them while you can. It is a real pain in the rear end when your gutters don't flow right or get clogged easily.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

redreader posted:

never encountered 'getting trees trimmed' IRL, so asking here. All of the trees are on our property, some are getting close to / touching neighbor's houses. Looking on the internet, it seems that's basically their problem.

Since I'm getting the trees trimmed anyway, would it be super weird / way more expensive, to say to the neighbours as a friendly gesture 'I can get them trimmed on your side too' ? Or is that setting a precedent that I'd be paying for in the future?

Be neighborly and tell your neighbor a few days in advance that you are having this done so that they aren't alarmed when they hear chainsaws/have a crew in their yard. Maybe they'll be able to plan around it if they have things they need to do. I would not expect them to pay for trimming but maybe they'll offer but I wouldn't plan on it. As said above, the cost of arborists is getting them to your house. If you're already having trees trimmed, the branches on their side of the fence/property line cost practically nothing extra. Just eat the cost and have your trees taken care of.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some people get super mad about trees, in warm climates they provide a lot of shade, they're also probably the most visible part of your property from their back yard etc :spergin:

I was living at one place and this lady had a studio over a three car garage utilities paid by landlord, that had trees on the south and west sides. Well the AC bill went from $75/mo to about $250/mo and they got in a big fight and she moved into a house down the street. That same summer he cut down the grove of trees that shaded my bedroom and provided privacy from a large shared backyard and really changed the character of the room

TL;DR yeah probably give them a heads up, especially if they're shading the neighbors house

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tree law

Tree law

Tree law

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
My neighbor had a tree removed, and in the removal process it was dropped on the another neighbor's house causing minor roof/gutter damage. It also somehow threaded the needle between his parked RV and pickup. I'd say it should be a general courtesy to inform neighbors of significant events like tree removal unless the tree is truly insignificant and it's removal won't impact anyone else in any way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Magicaljesus posted:

My neighbor had a tree removed, and in the removal process it was dropped on the another neighbor's house causing minor roof/gutter damage. It also somehow threaded the needle between his parked RV and pickup. I'd say it should be a general courtesy to inform neighbors of significant events like tree removal unless the tree is truly insignificant and it's removal won't impact anyone else in any way.

The last tree I had to have brought down (ash, invasive species killed it) didn't quite go the right way and ended up 15' into my neighbors driveway.

It's always something that can happen and I hope you prepare for that. My neighbors knew what I was doing near the property line weeks ahead of time and weren't even home by the time me and the tree guys cleaned it up. I still made sure they knew what happened and brought over a bottle of wine.

None of this should be hard. Unless your neighbors are assholes in which case attorney fees are part of the cost of your homeownership.

E: it was a big tree.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
All of my one neighbor's five trees were Ash and Emerald Ash Borer destroyed them in the course of three years.

Their place is BARREN now. They were all like 18-24" diameter trees, towering over their house.

It just sold so I hope the new buyers get to planting.

I only have 8 trees over here and thankfully none were ash. I'd be sad to lose any of them I have now. I lost a fir that was too close to my house anyway, and planted two pear trees in the backyard. They don't get a lot of sun but they are growing and healthy. Meanwhile the people over my back fence have let their biggest tree (might be an elm) get overgrown and I'm afraid it won't last much longer.

I did manage to trim up my apple tree to a healthy size but it has fire blight so it's going to be a constant management. It builds a lot of mass quickly so cutting back the blight doesn't stunt it, but it is hard to shape. And tedious.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bradford Pear?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hadlock posted:

Bradford Pear?

Haha no, hell no in fact. Cleveland Flowering Pear. I'm not sure if you can get Bradford Pear trees here or not, the Tree Farm didn't have any listed. And that's the only place I go because of the jingle.

Also browsing their website reminded me I wish I had a Catalpa tree. Love those giant leafs and the flowers. Maybe I'll let this fire blight go on the apple tree so I can get one, I've had enough fun picking apples.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
Not quite sure where to put this because the landlord thread is closed:

My father-in-law owned several rental properties all of which are in separate LLCs. The LLCs were tied to his home address in Columbia, SC, but that house has finally been sold after his death, and the lawyer who set up the LLCs (and who is terrible at responding to emails / voice messages) informed us that we needed to find an agent in South Carolina who would be "responsible(?)" for the LLCs because they would have a South Carolina address.

Can anyone tell me who I need to look for who could serve as an agent for the LLCs (is this something done by a lawyer, a real estate agent, a friend who lives in South Carolina?), and what if anything this person is responsible for doing?

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012

StormDrain posted:

Haha no, hell no in fact. Cleveland Flowering Pear. I'm not sure if you can get Bradford Pear trees here or not, the Tree Farm didn't have any listed. And that's the only place I go because of the jingle.

Also browsing their website reminded me I wish I had a Catalpa tree. Love those giant leafs and the flowers. Maybe I'll let this fire blight go on the apple tree so I can get one, I've had enough fun picking apples.

Uhhh, looks like that's a cultivar of Pyrus calleryana, so a later edition of a Bradford Pear. Chances are that it'll be sturdier than a Bradford Pear (that's what most of the later cultivars were shooting for), but it's still iffy and may be invasive depending on where you live. Pyrus calleryana cultivars are often sterile within their own cultivar, but have a nasty habit of crossbreeding with other cultivars and their offspring reverting to their wild type (thorny and difficult to remove).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jose Cuervo posted:

My father-in-law owned several rental properties all of which are in separate LLCs. The LLCs were tied to his home address in Columbia, SC, but that house has finally been sold after his death, and the lawyer who set up the LLCs (and who is terrible at responding to emails / voice messages) informed us that we needed to find an agent in South Carolina who would be "responsible(?)" for the LLCs because they would have a South Carolina address.

Can anyone tell me who I need to look for who could serve as an agent for the LLCs (is this something done by a lawyer, a real estate agent, a friend who lives in South Carolina?), and what if anything this person is responsible for doing?

You need a "registered agent". It's someone who can receive mail and deliveries on behalf of the LLC which presumably are required to have a physical office and business hours in that state.

thecompanycorporation pushes incorporation paperwork and also provides this service, at least for Delaware. They may offer it in SC as well.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

Motronic posted:

You need a "registered agent". It's someone who can receive mail and deliveries on behalf of the LLC which presumably are required to have a physical office and business hours in that state.

thecompanycorporation pushes incorporation paperwork and also provides this service, at least for Delaware. They may offer it in SC as well.

Thanks for the term 'registered agent'. Searching for this brought up plenty of results in South Carolina.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

Uhhh, looks like that's a cultivar of Pyrus calleryana, so a later edition of a Bradford Pear. Chances are that it'll be sturdier than a Bradford Pear (that's what most of the later cultivars were shooting for), but it's still iffy and may be invasive depending on where you live. Pyrus calleryana cultivars are often sterile within their own cultivar, but have a nasty habit of crossbreeding with other cultivars and their offspring reverting to their wild type (thorny and difficult to remove).

Well, it's still on the Colorado State University's at extension list of reccomended trees so it must not be a widespread problem here.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Jose Cuervo posted:

You need a registered agent. I suggest asking your question in the legal questions thread in ask/tell, as they are subject matter experts and can point you in the right direction.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

TheWevel posted:

Yes. I met with a roofer today and that's what they recommended before they flew the drone around and said I should get a new roof instead (hail damage).

edit: you could also call it roof preventative maintenance

Maybe a better term; none of the roofers I talked to knew what a tune-up was, but they all understood what I wanted when they got out and quoted for fixing the tiles/flashings/etc. They also provided quotes for a whole roof lift and lay, but none pushed for me to necessarily do that. They basically said that the typical life expectancy of an underlayment is 30-ish years (which we're at), but (at least from what they can see) isn't falling apart yet, so it's just gambling on if we want issues in the future. Should a lift and lay just be done (similar to other preventative maintenance items) at the 30 year mark regardless of if there are issues currently or not?

Tile roof if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

well that was real cool to come home to

good thing I got more stain the other day!

I got the new posts set and crossbeams installed then it immediately turned too cold all winter to stain, so I leaned the broken panels against the new parts. That was thankfully enough to keep the dog in all winter with the small trees there to prevent wind from blowing the panels over the other way. Last weekend was nice so I got it all stained and reassembled with the existing vertical slats on the new cross beams. Back like it never happened, once I do a little more touch-up with the stain.