Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Help, my thumbs are chafed from playing so much :negative: it hurts to use an iPhone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Help, my thumbs are chafed from playing so much :negative: it hurts to use an iPhone

I didn't even know they released it on iphone

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

No I'm using an xbone controller on PC but even typing my phone's passcode in is painful

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you need to get callused gamer's fingers, samurai

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I went through Caria Manor and I feel like I’m missing something… I went through the place, beat the boss and got to the other side with the three sisters towers. Two of them are closed off, and the other has a grace point in it and like nothing else? And there was this dragon that disappeared after I got it to half health. I noticed the open tower was Ranni’s. I think a little of my confusion here comes from knowing there’s this big Ranni side quest, and I don’t want to miss it.

This happened to me as well but then I beat the big boss in Caelid and she was in the tower. Reason is an npc involved in Caelid quest is also involved in the Caria tower quest so if you’ve been to the Caelid castle and triggered that part of the quest he can’t show up for Caria quest, which is why she isn’t in the tower.

It’s frustrating because watching videos of the quest line I missed a lot of conversations because the quest starts halfway through if you start it after Caelid castle.

Maybe they’ll patch this so people that go to the Caelid castle don’t miss out.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wish my fingers hurt instead of my rear end

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’ve just bounced off of the Crucible Knight and Second, Angrier Crucible Knight Boss fight and I’m just baffled how you can even approach it. I haven’t been using summons for bosses but even if I try the summon is dead in no time flat.

How have people tackled it?

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Orv posted:

Focus scaling seems to matter most to spell damage in this though stats do still matter. That said frankly the cost:damage on the dragon spells is way way off so I wouldn’t really recommend it.

If you do, Arc>Fth yeah.

Yeah I was thinking I'd get to birds with one stone. I'm playing with a +11 Golem Halberd and +8 Heavy Infused Hookclaws right now.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
who gave the minotaurs beautiful voices??

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Oxxidation posted:

i can't speak to the rest of your complaints but this just isn't paying attention. it was made clear over and over again that ofnir was an ambition-crazed bastard who'd been ruining lives left and right in his pursuit of lordship. not only was he bound to betray you, he betrayed you prematurely when ensha jumped the gun after you got the haligtree medallion half

:shrug: I talked to him 3 times in 84 hours. If you consider that not paying attention, then just LOCK ME UP your honor!!

Orv
May 4, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

who gave the minotaurs beautiful voices??

They said as an arrow the size of a man streaked towards their head.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What exactly governs whether or not you can enchant/grease a weapon?

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
What are you supposed to do against the isshin attack? And if the answer is stagger her out of it I'm going to throw my controller against the wall.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ve never been to Caelid castle, but I’ve also not talked to the wolf guy in mistwood yet.. so I have to meet him first? But he’s mad at me, so what I actually need to do is find an absolution item, get absolution, then hopefully I’ll be able to talk to the wolf guy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

If it has an elemental property already you can’t.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

If I wanted to use the Faith Halbert and it req. 24 faith, can I park my faith there and scale the strength or does it absolutely need both to be effective (pve but pvp mostly)

Orv
May 4, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

What are you supposed to do against the isshin attack? And if the answer is stagger her out of it I'm going to throw my controller against the wall.

I’m going to assume you mean Melania in which case your option is learn the dodge timing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I’ve just bounced off of the Crucible Knight and Second, Angrier Crucible Knight Boss fight and I’m just baffled how you can even approach it. I haven’t been using summons for bosses but even if I try the summon is dead in no time flat.

this is me doing it. unsure how helpful that will be since that's me being a perfectionist about it, but you do definitely want to know their movesets.

player summons are definitely better than NPC summons here if you get someone who isn't a moron, because they can be smart enough to know to keep the aggro from one knight all to themselves

SKULL.GIF posted:

in prior games it's usually "if the weapon has elemental damage applied to it already you can't", but with some exceptions.

seems to mostly be the case here, like for instance you can't buff a weapon that you make magic/cold.

Orv
May 4, 2011

96 spacejam posted:

If I wanted to use the Faith Halbert and it req. 24 faith, can I park my faith there and scale the strength or does it absolutely need both to be effective (pve but pvp mostly)

If a weapon has two (or more) equal scalings then you can just do one and get by fine. Obviously doing both will do more but it’s not super necessary.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

MasterBuilder posted:

I found you could often kind of survive the bullshit by dodging the first two swings and blocking the rest of it, though she will heal a lot off of it. The real answer is probably "hope it targets your summon" or "get lucky and have her not pick it for the duration of an attempt"

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

the sheer size of the capital is messing with my head. I've cleared out the eastern streets, the poor district full of zombies, the ruined area west of that, climbed up the dragon's wing, cleared the west rampart, the Fortified Manor, linked up to where I fought the golem ages ago and I've still got the entire western half of the city left, plus what looks to be a sewer area, one of the tree branches leading down, the actual path to the Erdtree itself... it's incredible.

also From sure likes spooky deserted real-world versions of your interdimensional hub area huh

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Orv posted:

I’m going to assume you mean Melania in which case your option is learn the dodge timing.

Yeah but there is one attack that is basically spiral cloud passage and fills the entire screen.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Went back to the Forlorn Hound evergaol after giving up a few hours back. Taking him down with the unsheathe skill on the katana is supremely satisfying and much easier than my previous attempts.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

Yeah but there is one attack that is basically spiral cloud passage and fills the entire screen.

Yeah and each time it does the slash visual you can dodge all of the multi hit damage with one medium roll. Much as I hate saying this she is very firmly this game’s get good boss.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MasterBuilder posted:

pray

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Orv posted:

If it has an elemental property already you can’t.

Will it refuse to let you enchant it or will it apply the effect but be ineffective?

The Uchigatana has innate bleed but I've applied Blood Grease and Sorcery Weapon to it, seen the effect go live visually, but can't tell if it's actually doing anything.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

So I ran into him in stormveil this morning and pounded my head against a wall for over an hour trying to take him down. What ended up working best for me was going two handed, which I hadn’t done at all to that point, rolling through his attacks, and using jumping r2s when I had an opening. Most of his attacks are pretty easily dodged with a roll. You just need to get the gently caress out of the way when he gets into one of his massive chain combos and play it really conservatively.

Ultimately I found his combos did too much stance damage so the shield was doing more harm then good. It’s kind of a DPS check of a fight imo

Edit: I’m talking about just the first encounter not the one with 2 of em gently caress that looks tough

hobbez fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 6, 2022

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There's a ton of +1 stones in a cave full of miners NW(?) of Agheel Lake. But you need blunt weapons or magic to kill the miners. Slashing is no bueno.

I picked up the flail (which I think is blunt damage) but I don't know if I have the stats to use it. Regardless, I'll probably pick up a few more levels in the process of getting more upgrade materials.

-

Here are some general things I wanted to comment on in the time I've put into the game so far.

• Horseback combat feels pretty forgiving at this point, where you can get a hits in easily, and enemies whiff their attacks as you dash away. I fought a big giant statue thing you find off the path to the castle that had half its health gone, and I took it down just by waiting for it to attack, then running in with Torrent and whacking its legs with the Halberd. Even the viking looking guys on horseback are relatively easy to take down, as you can dash or double-jump away from an attack, and then retaliate. I imagine there are enemies later on that are more difficult when fighting on horseback, though.
  • The one droning music track that seems to play when exploring gets kind of obnoxious, and I'm wondering if it changes when you reach new areas.
  • I realized thanks to some tweets that I completely bypassed the combat tutorial (the Cave of Knowledge). For whatever dumb reason, I took it to be some kind of area you visit later where there's a more difficult boss (the dungeon you start out in seems to have stuff you can't access at the start). Been doing fine for the most part, but I feel like I should go back and do it.
  • I haven't visited any of the gaols littered about, which I take are the dungeons people have mentioned. You're directed towards the castle, so I figured that was what you should do first, but maybe I should visit the gaols before going back to fight Margit
  • One of the things that irks me about the game map is that while you can leave markers, you can't write notes. I know that's kind of petty, but since some of the various merchants have different stock, it'd be nice to write down something like 'has battle axe' or something to distinguish it from other markers.
  • I haven't really messed with Weapon Art Ashes of War. I completed that fort area off to the southeast, and got one that gives you a bloodswipe that does bleeding damage, but I don't know how useful it is (also got that medallion half from the fort). I also found the guy in the shack who sells Ashes of War, and I think I bought the Kick, but I haven't used it.
  • I'm really curious as to how much of George R. R. Martin's input on the story/setting is represented in the game, and how much is crafted by FromSoft. For example, I saved Iron Fist Alexander, who is a giant sentient jar with arms and legs who got stuck in a pothole, and that feels very much like something FromSoft came up with. Things like the Round Table feel more like something GRRM came up with, but not being familiar with GRRM's work, I wonder if he came up with some of the more unconventional stuff.
  • Speaking of, I like the Roundtable as hub. Having attacks disabled is really nice, because it feels like FromSoft realized that potentially ruining a playthrough because you set the controller down and accidentally hit R1 and hit the blacksmith wasn't fair. One thing that puzzles me is that there were player messages talking about doing gestures in front of the door, which I though was necessary to open them (you can see gaps through the doors, where there seem to be more messages. However, doing a few gestures didn't seem to result in anything. Is it something you have to wait until later in order to unlock?
  • I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but from I've gathered, this game has the same sort of issue as DS3 where you can easily mess up quest lines if you don't do things in a certain order.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Will it refuse to let you enchant it or will it apply the effect but be ineffective?

The Uchigatana has innate bleed but I've applied Blood Grease and Sorcery Weapon to it, seen the effect go live visually, but can't tell if it's actually doing anything.

Innate properties seem a little inconsistent but if you’re allowed to use the grease/buff at all then it’s doing something, just depending on what you’re hitting it may not care about the added damage type.

When you have say, “Blood Uchigatana +X” is when it will definitely prevent application. Keen/Heavy/Quality should allow it though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Where are these madness eye lasers I've heard so much about?

9h wait I think that's The Flame of Frenzy, nm.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 6, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Philthy posted:

Think I might spend the afternoon sunbroing.

Souls multiplayer is so good. I love being able to just jump in and out everyones personal games to help out, and it's just addictive to keep doing over and over getting your own muscle memory better.

i've been playing every dungeon in multiplayer almost exclusively and it's a blast. trying to communicate through gesture and implication in a high stakes situation is fun. game's still a masterpiece in single player but i don't think i'd ever make it through without jolly cooperation. playing bloodborne late certainly took some of the fun out of it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I respec’d into magic after getting bored of sword and shield, and I really love it. I don’t event have any of the cool sorceries here, but it’s a lot of fun. I can still melee when I need to, but now I have real ranged abilities. I like the added complexity of combat with needing to manage FP too

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SKULL.GIF posted:

yeah, it's doing something. weapons with innate bleed can be buffed with bleed or other stuff(and you can actually put frost on them, and they'll do both bleed and frostbite.)

there are probably other weird exceptions like how lothric greatsword in ds3 had innate lightning damage and could also be buffed with more lightning damage

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

That Dang Dad posted:

Beat the game. 84 hours, level 119. My maxed out Pizza Cutter was a wonderful asset most of the game, also with occasionally my Hoarfrost Stompy Greatsword. My T-1000 was the real MVP though.

I feel really conflicted. For about 75% of my playthrough, I thought this was Miyazaki & Company's magnum opus, a grand fusion realizing the dream Miyazaki seems to have been riffing from for so long. The world building, the environmental stories, the mystery, the scope and grandeur... Around every bend, something magical and weird and amazing was happening. Elden Ring has some of the most amazing settings I've ever seen or explored, like Siofra and Nokron and Crumbling Farum Azula, to say nothing of the quiet beauty of Altus's windmill areas or the majesty of Leyndell or Stormveil.

This really feels like a world that is lived in, that has groups of people living together, in conflict and in community, struggling against a dying world. If I'm honest and set my nostalgia aside, that first visit into Anor Londo has nothing on like seven or eight different jaw-dropping locales in ER.

Plus, the addition of Ashes of War and Spirit Summons along with flask regen via killing mobs really reinvigorated the moment to moment combat. The horse was a great touch and elevated the exploration quite a bit for me.

That said... by the end of the game, I just wanted it to be over. I was exhausted by my journey and every new boss really started to wear me out. By the time I got to Beast Cleric in CFA I was just like "Please just let me get this over with. And then it was just a relentless gauntlet from Ofnir to Godfrey (loved the pro wrestling moves) to Radagon to that loving Elden Beast. I would've killed for a toggle for a "Tired Parent Mode" that just deducted 2/3rds of a boss's health bar. Especially for that loving rear end in a top hat in the Wailing Dunes. I'm still salty about all aspects of his design.

I had also completely lost the plot by this point, I didn't really understand why I was doing the things I was doing or why these people were fighting me. Like, Gideon Ofnir went from my battle grandpa to my enemy when it seemed like he didn't care back at Roundtable? And then Godfrey came back to life somehow? I thought he'd been assassinated which kicked this whole thing off? And what was Radagon doing in the tree? Fixing it? Fixing what? I'm not even clear on what the Shattering meant. And is Destined Death just referring to that the demigods can't die and that's why they are corrupted?. Like, I don't even really understand the implications of my ending other than I get to be the housewife for a new goddess I guess? Which, hey, I'm into it.

Now... I did burn myself out. 84 hours in 9 days is a LOT of game playing. I guzzled this game and maybe that was the wrong way to do it. It was just so addictive for so much of it that I hardly noticed I was getting a hangover. I got REALLY tired of boss battles in general, something that is generally supposed to be a highlight for these games. I don't know if I'm growing apart from From's Boss Style or if I just did too much too fast and a 2nd leisurely run would feel different. I was just getting really bitter about having to learn fights after awhile. Just let me win, fuckers!

In short, for me, Elden Ring was some of FROM's very best work and also had some of the most tedious unfun bullshit they've ever crafted. The highs were the highest I've ever had with them, and the lows the deepest pits. I suspect I will still replay this a few times, especially trying out magic and eventually mods. I missed a bunch of quests and I would love to see what kind of shenanigans I can get up to now that I know the game pretty well.

My big question is where does Miyazaki go from here? What dreamscapes does he have left to conquer? Did this satisfy his dark fantasy designs or is there even more bizarre stuff in there?

Man, this is kinda how I feel. I love the game but three main bosses in I'm just like, if the next main boss is the last I'm totally fine. Every medium sized dungeon is just exhausting. This is just too much game for my adult life.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

That Dang Dad posted:

Beat the game. 84 hours, level 119. My maxed out Pizza Cutter was a wonderful asset most of the game, also with occasionally my Hoarfrost Stompy Greatsword. My T-1000 was the real MVP though.

I feel really conflicted. For about 75% of my playthrough, I thought this was Miyazaki & Company's magnum opus, a grand fusion realizing the dream Miyazaki seems to have been riffing from for so long. The world building, the environmental stories, the mystery, the scope and grandeur... Around every bend, something magical and weird and amazing was happening. Elden Ring has some of the most amazing settings I've ever seen or explored, like Siofra and Nokron and Crumbling Farum Azula, to say nothing of the quiet beauty of Altus's windmill areas or the majesty of Leyndell or Stormveil.

This really feels like a world that is lived in, that has groups of people living together, in conflict and in community, struggling against a dying world. If I'm honest and set my nostalgia aside, that first visit into Anor Londo has nothing on like seven or eight different jaw-dropping locales in ER.

Plus, the addition of Ashes of War and Spirit Summons along with flask regen via killing mobs really reinvigorated the moment to moment combat. The horse was a great touch and elevated the exploration quite a bit for me.

That said... by the end of the game, I just wanted it to be over. I was exhausted by my journey and every new boss really started to wear me out. By the time I got to Beast Cleric in CFA I was just like "Please just let me get this over with. And then it was just a relentless gauntlet from Ofnir to Godfrey (loved the pro wrestling moves) to Radagon to that loving Elden Beast. I would've killed for a toggle for a "Tired Parent Mode" that just deducted 2/3rds of a boss's health bar. Especially for that loving rear end in a top hat in the Wailing Dunes. I'm still salty about all aspects of his design.

I had also completely lost the plot by this point, I didn't really understand why I was doing the things I was doing or why these people were fighting me. Like, Gideon Ofnir went from my battle grandpa to my enemy when it seemed like he didn't care back at Roundtable? And then Godfrey came back to life somehow? I thought he'd been assassinated which kicked this whole thing off? And what was Radagon doing in the tree? Fixing it? Fixing what? I'm not even clear on what the Shattering meant. And is Destined Death just referring to that the demigods can't die and that's why they are corrupted?. Like, I don't even really understand the implications of my ending other than I get to be the housewife for a new goddess I guess? Which, hey, I'm into it.

Now... I did burn myself out. 84 hours in 9 days is a LOT of game playing. I guzzled this game and maybe that was the wrong way to do it. It was just so addictive for so much of it that I hardly noticed I was getting a hangover. I got REALLY tired of boss battles in general, something that is generally supposed to be a highlight for these games. I don't know if I'm growing apart from From's Boss Style or if I just did too much too fast and a 2nd leisurely run would feel different. I was just getting really bitter about having to learn fights after awhile. Just let me win, fuckers!

In short, for me, Elden Ring was some of FROM's very best work and also had some of the most tedious unfun bullshit they've ever crafted. The highs were the highest I've ever had with them, and the lows the deepest pits. I suspect I will still replay this a few times, especially trying out magic and eventually mods. I missed a bunch of quests and I would love to see what kind of shenanigans I can get up to now that I know the game pretty well.

My big question is where does Miyazaki go from here? What dreamscapes does he have left to conquer? Did this satisfy his dark fantasy designs or is there even more bizarre stuff in there?

I can’t think of a single activity one can do for 85 hours in 9 days and not be sick of.

I get it’s hard to put it down but you went hard af over 9 hours a day

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Been seeing a lot of "Try throwing, Elden Ring!" at Volcano Manor

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

That Dang Dad posted:

84 hours in 9 days is a LOT of game playing

2 work weeks in 9 days will do it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hobbez posted:

I can’t think of a single activity one can do for 85 hours in 9 days and not be sick of.
it's almost 10 hours per day

this is not a fault with the game. know your limit stay within it

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
In a similar tone, I just killed the second major boss lady. I guess I was expecting some new exit door to open, but I just need to back out or warp somewhere.

The question is: Where? What is the next logical step after the whole Liurna area? I did kill the Loretta boss, so where to now? Far-east still seems too high-level. Up and right, maybe?

Tacking this on to the previous posts because this is the first time in the game that the "vast open world" has also seemed a bit ... too undirected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Orv posted:

Yeah and each time it does the slash visual you can dodge all of the multi hit damage with one medium roll. Much as I hate saying this she is very firmly this game’s get good boss.

I'm fine with a get good boss but it's nice to see a boss at half health when you die so you can judge how things are going but when a bosses health is full it's a bit infuriating.

This is a boss that I want a test mode on so I don't have to sit through loading screens and walk backs (thankfully short) just to get my rear end handed to myself again.