Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

I prefer the Boris system.

Block refugees from coming to the UK
Only rich people can come here
Refugees not welcome
I can't be arsed finishing this poo poo idea
S

Edit: Good lord. There are 23 rubbish things about this post.

domhal fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
That's not a plan: it's almost Starmerite in its substitution of banal aspirations over any sort of concrete proposals.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

domhal posted:

Refugees not welcome
S

Edit: Good lord. There are 23 rubbish things about this post.

*solemn news voice* UK used to mean “United Kingdom”, but ask anyone today and they'll tell you it stands for “Unbelievable Kunts”

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the thing on social media about booking AirBnBs in Ukraine? Some of my relatives refuse to donate money to charities and are increasingly frustrated that nobody is willing to drive blankets and bags of rice 1500 miles. They might be on board with donating via booking a 'holiday' in a house that probably doesn't exist any more.

It feels extremely British to decide that the one group of Ukrainians that really needs support at this time is the landlords.

(Also surely since this idea start doing the rounds AirBnB must have been overloaded with completely fictional apartments in Kiev).

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lady Demelza posted:

All admin staff who work for charities are paid £150k a year *and* siphoning off donations.

Wow, I wish I was paid that. (IT for a charity)

ETA. The one I work for is on that list, but not near the top.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 7, 2022

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As an admin person for a charity I can safely say that I don't even earn enough to pay tax. The TOTAL salary budget for this year for our charity is under £50k - that is 4 employees on part-time hours including the CEO. Well over 70% of our donations go out to our projects overseas (and very little of that is on salaries for our project partners - their salaries tend to be under £100 per month in sterling).

The Airbnb ceo has a salary of 1$.

And 120 million in stock grants, per first google result

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

peanut- posted:

It feels extremely British to decide that the one group of Ukrainians that really needs support at this time is the landlords.

(Also surely since this idea start doing the rounds AirBnB must have been overloaded with completely fictional apartments in Kiev).

The original idea behind Airbnb was to let people offer their own home for extreme short term lets while they weren't there. Arguably they're returning to their roots.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

domhal posted:

Refugees not welcome
S
Islamophobia mandatory
Shitiness is our guiding principle

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Pablo Bluth posted:

Islamophobia mandatory
Shitiness is our guiding principle
I feel the original was more true to the Johnsonian approach

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes I know. I would hope that many more charities are like the one I work for and not the big-salaried or rip-off merchant charities.

This is the top 50 (the rest of the top 100 are on a different image).

source: https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-pay-study-2021-biggest-earners/management/article/1713966

So out of 166k charities in the UK (source: https://howcharitieswork.com/about-charities/how-many-charities/)

So there are about 166000 charities in the UKand the top 100 have highest pay £150k + so approx 99.9% have a top salary of less than £150k.

I'm not shilling for charities here (yes I am LOL) and I know there are different types of issues with charities as there are with any organisations but it's not really fair to categorize them all on the basis of the misdeeds of a tiny %.

Charity Salaries
"The average Charity salary is £27,987. Working in Charity you can earn between £20,020 and £41,581". (source: https://www.checkasalary.co.uk/salaries/charity)

I'm assuming that's full time.

Some of the salaried people on that list who work at places like Wellcome and Francis Crick may be highly-skilled doctors, scientists and engineers who could easily get that kind of salary (or more) in the private sector, so it may not even be a case of managers getting paid too much, but certain salaries being needed to attract the best people to research jobs etc. In any event, some of those salaries for people running what are in effect large £100m+ organisations aren't so unreasonable either. I'd rather large charities were run by people who really knew what they were doing (and were paid accordingly). THAT SAID, I have no doubt that some managerial salaries are too much and I cannot see how one could justify the head of a charity, even a large one, getting close to £1m a year. Even £500k/pa is a very large sum of money and should be enough.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

https://www.dec.org.uk/appeal/ukraine-humanitarian-appeal anyone know anything about these people?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

My experience is that there's a perception at charities that it would be hypocritical to not pay your own staff a competitive wage, so yes, charity workers often do & should earn a decent living

However, there's also a perception in society in general that being a CEO is a real job involving actual work & that it should be rewarded with more pay rather than being fed into a woodchipper, which is not the case

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I think the percentage of donations spent on charitable work versus admin costs/advertising etc is probably a more useful metric than looking at specific wages

While I'm on the subject, gently caress those high street chuggers, keep that clipboard and creepy smile the gently caress away from me

Also I'm in on the keller lenkner train and if something goes wrong:

- lol
- it wasn't me
- good luck getting money I don't have

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Not specifically but they are a very well known outfit. They also do direct relief stuff which is a plus for me, as in they just give out food and tents and clothing right away. A lot of aid agencies can get bogged down in doing education pieces in emergencies when what people actually need is help right now. Less so at times of war though.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Convex posted:

*solemn news voice* UK used to mean “United Kingdom”, but ask anyone today and they'll tell you it stands for “Unbelievable Kunts”

It's been temporarily replaced with Unwelcoming to uKraine

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Borrovan posted:

I feel the original was more true to the Johnsonian approach
The Johnsonian approach would be lies from first word to last.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zalakwe posted:

Not specifically but they are a very well known outfit. They also do direct relief stuff which is a plus for me, as in they just give out food and tents and clothing right away. A lot of aid agencies can get bogged down in doing education pieces in emergencies when what people actually need is help right now. Less so at times of war though.

Yeah the specific role of the DEC is to distribute money to (appropriately-vetted) charities doing immediate emergency relief in a particular disaster area - while a lot of the charities involved also have education and other long-term goals, DEC funds are directly targeted on relief and normally only for a specific, limited time and appeal. If there is a criticism to be made of them it's that they often drop off the foil blankets and army-surplus rations and tents then dust their hands and go "Welp, see you all next earthquake". That's a reason to look into giving money to specific charities doing longer-term rebuilding and reform projects once the immediate crisis is over though, rather than a reason not to give money to DEC while people are actually starving/drowning/trapped in rubble.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

torygraph/business/2022/03/07/britains-private-schools-face-funding-shortfall-sanctions-wealthy

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Isn't the Independent owned by a Russian oligarch?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I assume this is just awful lighting rather than somebody letting him at the colloidal silver?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1500786978585038851/photo/1

A lot of people claiming this is anti-BDS legislation and they're half-right - it's a law meant to stop people from divesting in apartheid-era South Africa.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

It didn't work when the liberals tried to say that donald trump, or brexit, or whatever else was a russian conspiracy, because whether it is even true is irrelevant, it is loved, advocated for, and enacted by people who live next door to you with their own minds and ideas as much as anything else in their life is.

Yeah I don't buy the bot thing either. In the next election when a lot of leftists say they won't be voting for Starmer, that won't be down to Starmer, or the PLP, or any political or historical context, it'll be because we're all bots.

Personal anecdote but all the anti-vaxxers on my social media are completely distracted by the Ukraine thing right now. That can also cause the tweet statistics or whatever the gently caress to change. The same news sources they get the vaccine stuff from are now telling them weird poo poo about Putin and Hunter Biden.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 7, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lady Demelza posted:

All admin staff who work for charities are paid £150k a year *and* siphoning off donations.

I mean, nice, but then they're surprised some rando off the street won't take a day off to drive his white van from Walsall to Kyiv with a bunch of blankets and compo rations in the back?

There are people who know how to do that and do it all the time, they are called charities :shobon:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1500786978585038851/photo/1

A lot of people claiming this is anti-BDS legislation and they're half-right - it's a law meant to stop people from divesting in apartheid-era South Africa.

how many times can i become the joker

it just keeps happening

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Zalakwe posted:

Isn't the Independent owned by a Russian oligarch?

Uh no, Baron Lebedev, of Hampton in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and of Siberia in the Russian Federation was educated in British boarding schools & sits in the House of Lords, how could he be a Russian oligarch?

Sure, he was only in England as a kid because his da was spy in residence at the Soviet Embassy in London, and his dad left the KGB in the early 90s to buy a bank (those spy pensions must be pretty generous) and the Italians reckon he never actually left the spy game until after he'd bought an admittedly struggling bank that he's turned around to the point where it owns 11% of Russian flag carrying airline Aeroflot, 44% of airplane manufacturers Ilyushin as well as sizeable chunks of Gazprom, Sberbank & others.

What possibly gave you the impression he's an oligarch, don't you know Boris vetted him before raising him to the Lords*?

*Kidding, Boris decided to waive the vetting process for him.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lungboy posted:

I've no idea if that group case will get off the ground or not but that company are massively in debt and set off alarm bells.

Ruh-roh

I mean, I yolo'd with them because I wanted to pitch in to help bankrupt the Labour party and maybe make a little dollar on the side, but if there's gonna be the potential for them to take money off me then I think I should find a way to back out, cos I can't afford to get suckered into paying some dodgy lawyers a bunch of money, I made, like, £4000 in the last financial year

Borrovan posted:

They literally do have to word it like that, that's not suspicious (however, check what they charge if they do win)

25% of winnings, apparently

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Barry Foster posted:

25% of winnings, apparently
Literally the legal maximum on how much they're allowed to charge on a CFA, cool.

(also the most common amount for firms to charge so don't let me put you off, it all sounds on the level to me, the form saying "you are liable for all of my costs here is my hourly rate" is scary I know but it's genuinely nothing to worry about & it is literally a legal requirement for them to say that)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Borrovan posted:

Literally the legal maximum on how much they're allowed to charge on a CFA, cool.

(also the most common amount for firms to charge so don't let me put you off, it all sounds on the level to me, the form saying "you are liable for all of my costs here is my hourly rate" is scary I know but it's genuinely nothing to worry about & it is literally a legal requirement for them to say that)

Ok, cool

Like, I don't care about making personal financial gains (and 75% of something is better than 0% of nothing, I guess) but I really can't make any losses

Mostly it's just a hail mary on a black eye for Keef

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Also for people worried about the sketchiness of the firm, you can look up law firms on the SRA website (link), & click through to look at individual solicitors' records if you like. Haven't looked much but can't see any red flags.

Considering law firms tend to be owned & operated by lawyers, I wouldn't particularly be put off by all the £millions of debt, it's probably all owed to a holding company in the name of one of the directors' dogs.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1500834206083129344?s=20&t=xKblyZg2fEax304Zi_pB5w

lmao

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Holy poo poo. The MEN is so loving awful.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1500829435234332672

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The most charitable interpretation I can think of would be perhaps he was living in poland at the time?

But uh... yeah otherwise is it supposed to read as he was in the nightingale battalion..?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

The most charitable interpretation I can think of would be perhaps he was living in poland at the time?

But uh... yeah otherwise is it supposed to read as he was in the nightingale battalion..?

Nope, the article straight up says that he was fighting in defence of Ukraine. Dude's an ex-Nazi.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So... yes presumably Ukrainian nationalist who joined the nazis lmao.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

passed being suprised at this stage, get the wood thing with the choppy bit time tbh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/poncyvaper/status/1500584476669366276

hullo i'm new labours have you considered wearing a jumper instead of being poor? need to light your home? set a jumper on fire. need ventilation? attach several jumpers to a cat. hungry? eat a jumper you prole scum.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtk5LuFUWj8

whens the new protest rules due, can see something like this getting hit even tho its just tunes, they at risk?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

deano posted:

passed being suprised at this stage, get the wood thing with the choppy bit time tbh

absolute lol at them calling it a “loan”

because Andrew has so many opportunities for future earnings now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/poncyvaper/status/1500584476669366276

hullo i'm new labours have you considered wearing a jumper instead of being poor? need to light your home? set a jumper on fire. need ventilation? attach several jumpers to a cat. hungry? eat a jumper you prole scum.

It doesn’t even make sense. “My household has fewer people, but our bill is lower! You’re doing it wrong!”