Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

caldrax posted:

I reserved a mid-range and I wish I'd reserved a top tier. I assume there's no way to change that without losing my place in line? I'm "Q2."

Yeah this is me and I'm after Q2 now. But may still cancel anyway. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I thought about maybe sending support an email but I don't want to clog up their inboxes with my superfluous desires, I can hang with a mid range for this gen. I bought a microSD card for it already, it's just that anti-glare screen that's really appealing.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
What are the odds of a revision of this thing ever comin out anyway? I could see myself impulse buying one in a few years once they’re readily available, but less so if it’ll be several years old pc hardware.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

What are the odds of a revision of this thing ever comin out anyway? I could see myself impulse buying one in a few years once they’re readily available, but less so if it’ll be several years old pc hardware.

Very high. Gabe Newell has already indicated that they want to do more.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Gaben has said in interviews that he's surprised at the amount of pre-orders the 512gb model got, that it tells him people are interested in getting more premium features for their handheld gaming PC consoles.

I'm guessing this means better screen and possibly sturdier rumble on the next revision, along with whatever better components they can fit in it in 2-3 years' time. But really who knows.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

i mean, considering the biggest difference was storage capacity, i think that mostly just speaks to how much people care about that specifically, and not "premium features" writ large

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, it was definitely the storage for me. I didn't even notice the screen or case differences until later.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It was definitely the whole shebang for me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Half a tb is "premium" dude AAA studios don't even think about optimization

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It says the market is less price sensitive than expected, and if you can charge more you can put in more features.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
To be fair even with the small model you oculd still throw in an SD card, which was a rad option. And I suspect the load times won't be ATROCIOUS.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

sigher posted:

I wonder why it doesn't default to the Linux build if a game has one?

It seems to be different per game; I don't know whether it's something the publisher can set or something the verification team are choosing.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I went with the top model because if I'm going to be irresponsible with money I may as go all the way.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, it was definitely the storage for me. I didn't even notice the screen or case differences until later.

I bought the mid-range model the same way, solely based on storage and price (I thought 256 was enough and doubling that wasn't worth $120). The frosted screen and fancy case had basically zero value for me.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kwolok posted:

To be fair even with the small model you oculd still throw in an SD card, which was a rad option. And I suspect the load times won't be ATROCIOUS.

I read that a guy who got his 64gb Steam Deck installed a 1tb little ssd in his. I don't know if I'm so brave though

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Natsuumi posted:

I went with the top model because if I'm going to be irresponsible with money I may as go all the way.

Same here tbh. It'll be well worth the wait.

but probably not. cancel your preorder, it's gonna suck

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Natsuumi posted:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I went with midrange because I was kinda concerned the non-ssd model might limit options for storage. That wasn't the case, but it's fine. I haven't seen any comparisons on the anti-glare vs non-anti-glare yet....

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I picked midrange because I figured most people would want the cheapest or the biggest

And I ended up with a Q1 order, so, it worked out

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Stan Taylor posted:

Gabe said that if enough preorders are cancelled they'll work on getting a revision out ASAP to make up for the awfulness that is the Steam Deck.

Make sure to cancel, or, do as I did and order it AGAIN then cancel on that one to really show Valve you mean business.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Natsuumi posted:

:retrogames: all the way.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Natsuumi posted:

:hmmyes:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Arcsech posted:

As somebody who works in tech: they're right. None of the tech majors, nor a significant portion of smaller firms, want open ecosystems right now, they all want their own walled garden because those are incredibly lucrative. The only limiting factor is that they don't want to look too consumer-hostile.

Game pass might or might not end up on other platforms, but Microsoft as a whole would very much rather other operating systems and/or gaming platforms not exist, despite any lip service paid to "open platforms".

you work in tech? that's cute. i work in double tech. don't worry if you haven't heard of it, most tech workers haven't. anyway, as someone who works in double tech I can tell you you're literally only seeing half the picture, and you'd really have to work in double tech for me to fully explain it to you. valve has been a double tech company for years now but they don't talk about it because honestly it's probably over your head.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

We're all gonna die one day. May as well burn our money on things that make us happy here and now.

Which is why you all should cancel your preorders and go on a vacation or something.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I ordered the middle one because I don't see myself playing outdoors enough to make the anti-glare thing matter, and I'll probably put a screen protector on it anyway.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I ordered the 64GB and have a 500GB card ready to slot it. I'm not worried about the load times.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1498664100431380481

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

has the fw update been released and actual fixed the drifting issue?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Next round of emails is tomorrow, here's hoping Gaben delivers! But I know I'll be the end of March.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

My wife got her deck today, it's pretty cool.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

haldolium posted:

has the fw update been released and actual fixed the drifting issue?

It wasn't a drifting issue so much as a default setting issue. No idea if it's been updated though. If it hasn't you can just manually set the deadzone to be higher than 0.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Has anyone received any emails for today yet?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

PowerBeard posted:

I think we'll see around noonish

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
WHERE'S MY EMAIL VALVE?!?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
10am PST

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PowerBeard posted:

https://twitter.com/ondeck/status/1500887838979616770?s=21

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
After Q2 people should now get a Q3 date confirmed on the order page if they apply!

quote:

We have been working hard to increase the number of Steam Decks we can produce this year, and we now have more clarity on our longer term production schedule. As a result, in addition to Q1 and Q2, reservers can now see if they are in the Q3 order availability window. You can check the Steam Deck product page (while logged in) to see your reservation window.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ah well, guess I'm not in today's batch then. Shame, would have been good for Thursday when I'm back in the office, if I got it in time.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Got my order email just a few minutes ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I got my email.

64GB version - Ireland, if that helps with trying to work out when yours is due.