Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Cricket, what is it good for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discendo Vox posted:

Jesus christ those australian cartoons are just...the most appalling comparative I can think of.

Kellies Nomination: Most Internationally Tone Deaf, perhaps?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Nenonen posted:

Cricket, what is it good for?

Drinking beer.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

Jesus christ those australian cartoons are just...the most appalling comparative I can think of.

I mean, war bad, but CRICKETERS FROM MY YOUTH CAN NEVER DIE AAAAAUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, it is a powerful nation denying the sovereignty of a weaker neighbor, invading with the intent of occupying and subjugating it, and without a care for any war crimes or crimes against humanity that happen in the process, on a paper-thin pretense of self-defense and rooting out dangerous anti-semites. The global response has overwhelmingly been condemnation of the aggressor, and the aggressor has suffered absolutely crippling boycotts, divestments and sanctons.

I can see why that would raise the hackles of at least one demographic who are very much not tankies.

Oh yeah, true. Once I saw the tankie argument was "Azov put bases and weapons under schools and hospitals and residential areas, Russia has no choice but to level those areas unfortunately, it's regrettable that civilians are being used as cover for their Nazi ways but Russia must do it and it's Azov who's responsible for all the civilian deaths," I completely understood why Kirschen could theoretically be on board with what Russia was doing, since it's the same argument assholes like him love to use for the genocide of the Palestinians.

That said I don't know that Kirschen is necessarily actually on Russia's side, based on this cartoon:
This seems like it's probably critical of Putin? It's hard to tell. It could be "big bad Russian tanks running over civilians" or it could be "big strong Russian tanks taking out evil Nazis."

I mean, Kirschen is the dude who drew a happy smiling Assad using gas on Muslims which I don't think we ever determined if it was pro or anti Assad.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

...Is this supposed to be a slam against non-binary people?

I think it's a slam against transhumanism, maybe?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think it's a slam against transhumanism, maybe?

I'm guessing it's just another transphobe joke of the "attack helicopter" variety more than anything else. It's not much of a step from where this garbage already is.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

if you don't understand one of ishida's comics, don't worry, ishida doesn't seem to understand most things

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nomination: Laziest NonGorrell

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

Is she writing her poem across multiple pages of a top flip notepad?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Raised By Birds posted:

Bob Gorrell

Is even the word balloon a degraded copy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DyRCF-rs5U

Also some content, because Tom the Dancing Bug is horribly under posted here.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Wow!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PUTIN fired the WAR rocket launcher, scaring the RUSSIAN ECONOMY cat or dog or something, right? It works on so many levels.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

"This is a bad thing." -- Tatsuya Ishida

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

kartikeya posted:

Anyone who says they're doing good things is obviously doing the thing that evil people would do, so we should side with the folks who say they're doing evil things, like the devil wait no the devil is bad umm

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Until he stops his literal war with Ukraine, probably. Until then you'll have to deal with Putin comics, just like the Ukrainians have to deal with Russian missiles destroying their homes. I'm sure the Ukrainians sympathize with your predicament.
gently caress off with that poo poo. My complaint isn’t that cartoonists are mean to Putin, my complaint is that no one bothers offering more than the most tepid and superficial commentary on anything. I know I’m the idiot for expecting more from this medium but it’s a reflection of the news at large which generally isn’t much better. Here’s the thing: half of my family is Ukrainian, but more accurately they’re from the USSR, and I haven’t spoken to them about the conflict because they’re also huuuuuuge fans of Putin, and I don’t want to hear whatever monstrous mental gymnastics they’re going to pull to justify any of this. The existence of the USSR didn’t end that long ago, and there are many people still alive who grew up there and have murky allegiances

Yes, Putin is corrupt, and rigged the system to keep himself in power indefinitely, but he’s also incredibly popular and the majority of the country would probably agree with whatever he wanted no matter what, because he knows how to touch and respond to the deep-seated insecurities of a people who believe themselves to be the absolute best in the world and see every single contradiction to that as being caused by the meddling of western saboteurs. But no, Putin is probably just a whacky guy whose motives are totally random nonsense. Who knows what that guy will do next!

Wipfmetz posted:

Calling "invading eastern european neighbours after annexing other regions unter the pretense of protecting expat populations" a "cultural value".
:hmmyes:
Don’t put words in my mouth. At the risk of repeating myself, I’m talking about the root causes of Putin’s popularity. About the weird mix of an inferiority complex and Russian orthodox-flavored reactionary thinking that permeates modern Russian culture. There are people who grew up in the USSR who genuinely believe that in the Soviet Union there was no cancer, no drug use, no prostitution, no homosexuality, and who deeply want to go back to those times, minus the bad parts that only happened, in their eyes, because the wrong people were in charge

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kit Walker posted:

gently caress off with that poo poo. My complaint isn’t that cartoonists are mean to Putin, my complaint is that no one bothers offering more than the most tepid and superficial commentary on anything. I know I’m the idiot for expecting more from this medium but it’s a reflection of the news at large which generally isn’t much better. Here’s the thing: half of my family is Ukrainian, but more accurately they’re from the USSR, and I haven’t spoken to them about the conflict because they’re also huuuuuuge fans of Putin, and I don’t want to hear whatever monstrous mental gymnastics they’re going to pull to justify any of this. The existence of the USSR didn’t end that long ago, and there are many people still alive who grew up there and have murky allegiances

Yes, Putin is corrupt, and rigged the system to keep himself in power indefinitely, but he’s also incredibly popular and the majority of the country would probably agree with whatever he wanted no matter what, because he knows how to touch and respond to the deep-seated insecurities of a people who believe themselves to be the absolute best in the world and see every single contradiction to that as being caused by the meddling of western saboteurs. But no, Putin is probably just a whacky guy whose motives are totally random nonsense. Who knows what that guy will do next!

VVG's entire schtick is to go digging for lovely, obviously uncalled-for interpretations to try to rile people up. It has been years since their gimmick was funny.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Neito posted:

I wonder if, and this could just be me overanalyzing a B-tier webcartoonist's life, but I wonder if part of the problem is that Tatsy was "kinda a feminist" in like the 90s/2000s and treated his dumb poo poo like he had finished the final of Feminism and was now A Feminist, rather than viewing it like it is, which is an ongoing dialog and re-evaluation of his views as the world progresses.

After that it's all "I refuse any introspection" and then it's straight into the TERF or Alt-right pipeline.
Nah, he drew Sinfest for either the college paper or some independent paper students made, and nope. Ishida in the early 90s is pretty much the same as the 00s, except with the edge you’d expect of person in their early 20s. In fact, one trait Ishida never shed is the thin skin and inability to take criticism. A lot of the content then was reacting to criticism against it.

I’ve been intending to do a dump of those proto-Sinfest strips, so perhaps some time this month.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I started reading that Sinfest recap and then abruptly realized that I don't actually want to know more about Sinfest.

Really don't know how you guys manage it. Not a criticism, just a statement.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think you get less out of it if you hadn’t read the comic back in its heyday.

It’s a real roller-coaster as Ishida turning from 00s college stoner comedy to radical feminism to some hosed-up religious conservatism that Ishida seems to at least subconsciously understand is at odds with itself. Which is likely why his already poor grab bag of symbols and metaphors has become increasingly muddied if not outright indecipherable.

If nothing else, Ishida’s consistent and long-running output gives you one of the most well-documented timelines of the terf to fascist pipeline.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Walt Handelsman

Shirtless Putin in a Tank. Shirtless Putin in a Tank never changes.

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Well at least if he's in a bathtub it makes sense to be shirtless.

Michael Ramirez

Jeff Stahler

Tom Stiglich

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

this looks cool, wonder where he traced it from

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Stay Home As I Say, Don't Invade As I Do

It's the CounterPoint cartoon Rall made a few days ago but today has his explainer:

Ted Rall posted:

Joe Biden and the media outlets that support the Democratic narrative support Ukraine against Russian invasion without pausing to consider the fact that the United States is by far the biggest interventionist power in modern history. A nation that carries out drone strikes, assassinations, covert coups d’état and massive invasions and occupations of countries all over the planet has no moral standing to complain about the actions of any other country.

First Dog on the Moon: Once in 1,000 year floods yet nobody is talking about climate change (everyone is talking about it but the government)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
gently caress you Clay Jones, you could have at least looked up the actual metro stations in Kiev instead of going for a lovely "What is a Eastern Europe word?" joke. Even if you're trying to go for "people have lovely takes on what is considered actual crime against humanity" do not ridicule the people who are in an active war zone by putting in a joke like that.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also what the gently caress is that Goodwyn :psyduck:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

kartikeya posted:

It's a response to people saying that things like masks and the vaccine are for the greater good. "For the greater good" is a phrase that right wingers are immediately suspicious of and oppose because it's usually used to justify policies they hate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Raised By Birds posted:

Shirtless Putin in a Tank. Shirtless Putin in a Tank never changes.

I think you need to take a crash course in the use of iconography in art, starting with why it is used.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I love that stupid hate for post humanism because in a very real way it's already here:
We already have implants to help certain medical conditions and I'm stoked for those limb assisting harnesses.

That's right Ishida, instead of making up neferious conspiracies to be afraid of let's instead appreciate the ways we will make people's lives better and fuller.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

I think you need to take a crash course in the use of iconography in art, starting with why it is used.
Unless the reason is "hacks are lazy as gently caress" then I disagree :v:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

For anyone who doesn't recognize it: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/81487074477542479/

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Will never get this attitude (probably because I don't have dependents). I've done both the work 6 12s and been homeless, and I'm taking homeless again if forced between the two

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Somfin posted:

Anyone who says they're doing good things is obviously doing the thing that evil people would do, so we should side with the folks who say they're doing evil things, like the devil wait no the devil is bad umm

A lot of reactionary types use "the greater good" as a rhetorical or literal enemy because it conflicts with their idea of individual exceptionalism.

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

Neito posted:

A lot of reactionary types use "the greater good" as a rhetorical or literal enemy because it conflicts with their idea of individual exceptionalism.

Also, because anything that benefits everyone also benefits poor and non-white people.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The UN passes a resolution to end plastic pollution in the sea.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I would hope the next generation get the strength of character to call out bigotry in any form instead of whatever this is vaguely implying.

A strangely hunky Stalin.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

By popular demand posted:

I would hope the next generation get the strength of character to call out bigotry in any form instead of whatever this is vaguely implying.

"Calling out bigotry is purely performative and for the benefit of those watching"

probably.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Neito posted:

Cain: “Am I my brother’s keeper?”
God: “Sorry, my bad, nobody is responsible for anyone but themselves.”

The conservative bible is weird.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

"Game of Phones"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

No bets accepted for what the next Kelly would be about.
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Very rarely to we get a sequel or storyline to kelly comics, but oh do I want one now