Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wait for it
Feb 21, 2021
Anyone have a good strat for the crucible knight at the great bridge in the dragon area? I beat the game at around 90 hours but this is one of the encounters I had to straight up skip while I ran straight to the boss door (which was somehow an easier encounter) and I still can't beat the dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
:siren: warning about saved game files :siren:

I was playing offline. Switched to online and rather than “continuing” my game, I went to the load game screen and picked my character (the same character what would’ve loaded if I had just selected “Continue”).

Doing so lost me a couple of hours of gameplay.

Not sure if it was switching to online or if it was how I loaded my save file.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Unless you need some quick runes for upgrades and you're out of golden runes you don't ever need to farm. Look up some mini dungeons you haven't done in an appropriate area and clear those. Runes scale heavily towards the late game. For example, Varres questline leads to a boss that drops 400k which took me almost from lvl 90 to 100. That area also has 50-100k runes lying around and a lot of lategame upgrade materials.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 7, 2022

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

junan_paalla posted:

I'm really liking the lore way more than I thought I would, my most played souls game was DS1 and I didn't really care about the story at all but this is really interesting to me. There's apparently still (at least?) one possible ending people are puzzling together that has to do with Nepheli Loux, Kenneth Haight and Gideon Ofnir.

I got into the DS1, DS2, and Bloodborne lore but really didn't care much about what DS3 was doing (nor Sekiro that much either) on that front. At the time I wasn't sure if it was just the Fromsoft formula getting too samey or if it was just DS3 specifically that didn't capture me, but Elden Ring has captured that imaginative spark again. Even as silly as it can be to just transpose concepts like souls to runes or whatever, the rebranding was needed I think. I also think the backstory lore and characters are both more interesting and also less obtuse than prior.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

codo27 posted:

Idgi. If this is an issue, you are in the wrong places. Sure, I need about 20k for a level now, but I cant expect when I'm back tracking to clear out a missed area I should have done sooner for it to give me the same amount of reward as endgame areas. I'm mainly just glad to get any missed items. There are places to go for farming if thats what you need. 1000 souls/hr is ridiculous also, wherever you are

I dont think I've done a single quest so far aside from the southern castle/daughter thing. About 50 hours in. But then I never do quests in Souls games, mainly because they are too obscure.

it might just be my style of playing whenever the game is openworld, combined with enemies being a lot more spread out which makes it trivial to not end up in fights at all if you just run around to find stuff or such. not sure about my level, but the cost is still slightly under 8000/per level, so it’s not, like, ridiculously overlevelled or anything like that, I think.

roomtone posted:

this is in caelid, and might be a spoiler on a certain sight to see but:

there is a collosal dragon surrounded in front by baby dragons. the baby dragons are active enemies but the colossal dragon can't move so if you go around to it's tail and have bleed/frost applied to a weapon, you can chop down it's HP and get yourself 80,000 souls with no risk. the thing is so big the baby dragons won't be close enough to aggro.

you could do this within minutes of starting the game just by riding over there and grabbing a nearby grace point to it for safety.

it's a one time only thing though

Oxxidation posted:

if you’ve met D at the Roundtable Hold he’ll direct you to a place patrolled by hosed-up little men that drop over 1k runes at a go

these are both good tips, thanks

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I cannot believe that this game's secret dungeon has a secret dungeon. Also why is it platforming hell

EDIT: I realise many places could be considered a secret dungeon, but I am referring to a place in the capital, specifically the area past the boss for the Subterranean Shunning Grounds

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

wait for it posted:

Anyone have a good strat for the crucible knight at the great bridge in the dragon area? I beat the game at around 90 hours but this is one of the encounters I had to straight up skip while I ran straight to the boss door (which was somehow an easier encounter) and I still can't beat the dude.
Spend 2 hours at level 25 fighting the one in the evergaol and have his moveset memorized.

Artelier posted:

I cannot believe that this game's secret dungeon has a secret dungeon. Also why is it platforming hell
Which is this?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Artelier posted:

EDIT: I realise many places could be considered a secret dungeon, but I am referring to a place in the capital, specifically the area past the boss for the Subterranean Shunning Grounds

If you are where I think you are: it's easier to jump from the beams to the tombstones all the way down.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Spermando posted:

If you are where I think you are: it's easier to jump from the beams to the tombstones all the way down.

Yup, that's exactly what I'm doing right now. Trying to figure out a safe route.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The bottom of fringefolk hero's grave got a stake of marika patched in before the boss door, thank christ

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Harrow posted:

She was already an Empyrean but rejected the control of the Two Fingers and the Greater Will. Her quest line is that she is trying to claim her Empyrean right to ascend to godhood and succeed Marika while also telling the Two Fingers to gently caress off.

Ah, alright, that makes sense then.

I finished Sellen's quest line tonight and it raises a few weird questions about what she meant about returning the other two wizard's bodies and all that but it was interesting. Strange end.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Completely digging that this game is leaning more heavily into the RPG aspects and embracing the randomness of the open world. I think From is at their best when they are focused, like with Bloodborne or Sekiro, but really love what they've done with this. The summons, the crazy ashes, the multitude of viable builds right off the bat - there's a ton of ways to approach every situation. I'm running Str/Fth, and I find myself playing a LOT more creatively than any other From game - sometimes I summon a tank and stand back chucking Black Flame, sometimes I grab a 2H and go for poise breaking critical hits, sometimes I just spam hoarfrost and laugh.

The boss battles really, really play to this strength. The summons and horse add a really fun element of randomness to boss fights (especially open world ones), where instead of learning patterns, you can just kind of unleash chaos and hope it goes well. The Radahn fight was this pumped up to the extreme - maybe my favorite "spectacle" fight in From history. Unleashing all the summons, I was jumping in an out of his feet for charged R2s and ended up winning when I scored a critical hit right before phase 2.

Really can't wait to start playing again with other builds, making a beeline for certain weapons or whatnot. This game is gonna be great on replay because the open world will allow you to jump straight to content you want (and all the "necessary" stuff is so good, I'm sure I'll wanna play it again)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Kinda annoying that I have to go way back to the starting zone to pick up enough smithing stone [1] to actually upgrade my items. Why is the most basic stone the rarest??

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Vermain posted:

lusat's requires 52 int and 10 strength to wield. if you don't meet those requirements, its sorcery scaling will never go above 60

Wait, because I don't have 10 Strength yet the Sorc Scaling doesn't increase as I've been leveling it?? That's the dumbest loving thing I've ever heard.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

vandalism posted:

Also, what level are you guys planning on getting to? I am considering 120 because that is like where it was in ds3 for the upper end. 120 feels like it would be enough to get me where I need to be, but I have heard people saying they plan on going to 150.

I'm 111 and don't feel anywhere near strong enough for doing all the sidequest stuff and new areas from Consecrated Ground. I'll probably go for 150, but it will also depend on making sure I'm not locking myself out of co-op by doing so.

But I am also a very average Souls player and prefer to just level past things. The worst parts of the game for me are feeling like I'm dying and spending hours on trash in areas to get to the bosses. I prefer treating it like a wild Monster Hunter game with the bosses being the spectacle. If you like the "take it slow and steady" approach to Souls, I'm sure a lot of this stuff I'm doing can be cleared much, much lower than what I'm aiming for.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Kinda annoying that I have to go way back to the starting zone to pick up enough smithing stone [1] to actually upgrade my items. Why is the most basic stone the rarest??

Just buy them.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I feel like I was supposed to get a (secret area spoilers) Orange Ring equivalent for Scarlet Rot by the time I made it down to the Lake of Rot. Maybe I should have looked up the cookbook with the rot cure.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So any Armored Core references yet? A pile driver or anything? Everything else seems to be in here

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

So It Goes posted:

Just buy them.

YOU CAN BUY THEM??

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can buy level 1 and 2 smithing stones infinitely once you kill the boss in one of the mines and give the item it drops to the merchant at the roundtable. Presumably the same is true for higher level stones as well but I haven't found them yet.

Go to Liurna, there's a mine northeast of the academy along the edge of the lake under the overhanging cliff. It's right by the big bell turtle thing. You'll need a strike weapon or spells to fight the stuff down there including the boss.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Raya academy is the trolliest dungeon I have seen in my life. Not only did I take a 10 minute detour to the beginning again (thanks for that I guess? Died 4 times to unlock a useless shortcut) but I also got an unexpected visit to turtle pope

Yeah this was the only real dungeon I truly disliked the design of,

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

YOU CAN BUY THEM??

Yeah there's a tunnel in basically every area after Limgrave that has a ball bearing in it - bring that to the merchant at the Roundtable and you can purchase upgrade stones. As far as I know there's one for each minus the final upgrade level. Same for summon upgrades.

e:

NicelyNice posted:

Really can't wait to start playing again with other builds, making a beeline for certain weapons or whatnot. This game is gonna be great on replay because the open world will allow you to jump straight to content you want (and all the "necessary" stuff is so good, I'm sure I'll wanna play it again)

I'm getting near the end and I am TORN about this. I kinda want to respec straight off to NG+ and play with all the cool toys I've collected immediately buuuuut that sense of progression in NG though....

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 7, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sab669 posted:

Wait, because I don't have 10 Strength yet the Sorc Scaling doesn't increase as I've been leveling it?? That's the dumbest loving thing I've ever heard.
How do you think it should work when you don't have the stats to use the weapon?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DourCricket posted:

Yeah there's a tunnel in basically every area after Limgrave that has a ball bearing in it - bring that to the merchant at the Roundtable and you can purchase upgrade stones. As far as I know there's one for each minus the final upgrade level. Same for summon upgrades.

to clarify, you get it from beating the boss

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Welp, the Ranni quest was definitely one hell of a quest line, but the Dark Moon Greatsword you get for completing it is pretty... underwhelming?

It's nothing I'm going to stop using my Moonveil for, anyway

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harrow posted:

As others have said, this isn't required for Ranni's quest. It is, however, required for Fia's quest, I'm pretty sure.

Nah I did her whole quest and it triggered from having her hold me a couple of times, I never found the Godwyn corpse under Stormveil

Flytrap posted:

I feel like I was supposed to get a (secret area spoilers) Orange Ring equivalent for Scarlet Rot by the time I made it down to the Lake of Rot. Maybe I should have looked up the cookbook with the rot cure.

Weirdly enough there's a single Minotaur dude hanging out in the lake who drops a talisman that gives you resistance

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No Wave posted:

How do you think it should work when you don't have the stats to use the weapon?

Scale the stat down when I actually equip it.

Good to know I wasted 5 upgrades on the thing for when I get the 52 Int to use it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

go get the bell bearing and you can buy them from the twin maiden husks

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Sab669 posted:

Good to know I wasted 5 upgrades on the thing for when I get the 52 Int to use it.

It sounds like you think the staff is permanently weaker because you upgraded it too early? That's not how it works, just get the minimum stats to equip it and you should be fine.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sab669 posted:

It is scaling it down when you equip it - the equipment sheet shows what equipping it will give you given your stats. Once you meet the requirements you'll get all the return on your investment.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a way to tell how much damage cold/frost will add to a weapon? It doesn't list it as a damage source, just buildup, but the Frozen Needle can penetrate shields for some amount of damage, for instance.

On actually cold-infused weapons I assume it's just magic damage.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Volte posted:

It is scaling it down when you equip it - the equipment sheet shows what equipping it will give you given your stats. Once you meet the requirements you'll get all the return on your investment.

Snake Maze posted:

It sounds like you think the staff is permanently weaker because you upgraded it too early? That's not how it works, just get the minimum stats to equip it and you should be fine.

Oh ok, good.

Yea I thought it didn't get the "full upgrade" because I was investing into it "prematurely". That's fine then :downs:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What triggers Seluvis dying? While doing Ranni's quest I came back to him and he was dead, dropped his clothes and bell but I could still interact with his body

Also (Sella's quest spoilers) What's up with his puppet dungeon. Seems like he was into some hosed up stuff

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

who the hell is sella

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

edit: it's pretty impressive to confuse a characters name within the same 2 sentence post.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What triggers Seluvis dying? While doing Ranni's quest I came back to him and he was dead, dropped his clothes and bell but I could still interact with his body
For me, he died after I got the Fingerslayer Blade and returned to Ranni. I'm pretty sure that's what caused it (not sure if it was picking up the item or returning it) because I talked to him immediately before going into Nokron and then returned to him immediately after talking to Ranni, and he was dead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NicelyNice posted:

Completely digging that this game is leaning more heavily into the RPG aspects and embracing the randomness of the open world. I think From is at their best when they are focused, like with Bloodborne or Sekiro, but really love what they've done with this. The summons, the crazy ashes, the multitude of viable builds right off the bat - there's a ton of ways to approach every situation. I'm running Str/Fth, and I find myself playing a LOT more creatively than any other From game - sometimes I summon a tank and stand back chucking Black Flame, sometimes I grab a 2H and go for poise breaking critical hits, sometimes I just spam hoarfrost and laugh.

This is something I've been trying to articulate (and part of the reason I think some of the "OP in PvE" things might not end up getting nerfed, or at least not very hard). Elden Ring has a lot of viable options and probably more different ways to become "overpowered" than any previous Souls game and I have to imagine that's on purpose. It plays more like an open-world RPG than I think I expected going in, where you can stumble on any number of really powerful things early on or grow into a bunch of different types of godlike power by the end.

It probably has some of the hardest bosses in From's history if you're play it like a Dark Souls game, but isn't nearly as hard if you use the giant pile of tools Elden Ring gives you. From was not afraid of letting the player become very powerful this time around.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nah I did her whole quest and it triggered from having her hold me a couple of times, I never found the Godwyn corpse under Stormveil

Oh, interesting. I guess finding that is just a little bit of extra spice, then.

Volte posted:

For me, he died after I got the Fingerslayer Blade and returned to Ranni. I'm pretty sure that's what caused it (not sure if it was picking up the item or returning it) because I talked to him immediately before going into Nokron and then returned to him immediately talking to Ranni, and he was dead.

Yeah this is what happened for me, too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

roomtone posted:

who the hell is sella

Mashup of Sellen and Stella in my brain I guess

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Also (Sella's quest spoilers) What's up with his puppet dungeon. Seems like he was into some hosed up stuff

He asks you to drug a lady and turn her into one of his dolls he's pretty hosed up. If you find the secret back room of his creephole, he shuts you up by giving you one of his dolls. Also you can turn certain other NPCs, like dung eater, into dolls you can later summon. Speaking of Seluvis: I've looked everywhere and still haven't found the amber shard he wants, anyone know where it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Mashup of Sellen and Stella in my brain I guess

i thought it was an actual NPC i missed

i don't know who sellen is either!

70 hours gameplay and i have no idea what's happening.