Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you play just the good games, the switch has enough to occupy your every waking moment for years to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

imagine if the switch had a laptop hdd in it :negative:

don't be silly, a laptop hdd wouldn't fit

an early 2000s switch would have one of those tiny hdds that ipods used to use, and games would take an hour to load

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

2022 is the year of fire, the year of destruction...
the year we take back what is ours.
It is the year of rebirth...
the year of great sadness...
the year of pain...
and the year of joy.
It is a new age.
It is the end of history.
It is the year everything changes

:golfclap:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the Kirbys to vote.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Srice posted:

I've gotten a fair amount of mileage out of my PS5. Sure, there are plenty of games that are also on PS4, but we're reaching the point where there are some games that are for both PS4 and PS5 that can run real rough on PS4.

That's why I'm glad Switch Pro is still in rumorville. Despite my launch Switch's fan sounding like incessant death whenever the system is on (and now for a few seconds after it's been suspended, yikes!) I'm not ready to replace it and I don't wanna get (even more) unfit-for-platform ports.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

a few days ago, i was told 13 sentinels was pretty taxing on the ps4. is that true? if so, how are they going to port it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I didn't have a single problem with 13 Sentinels on the PS4 except a few times where 5000 missiles explode at the same time.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I recently bought a Series X, thus joining the "all three consoles" club :toot:, and I can confirm that life is pretty good; but my PS5 is essentially a Bloodborne/Souls machine like all of my PS consoles before it and most of my gaming lately has been on Switch and Game Pass. So, I can't say non-PS5 people are missing much.

Returnal is pretty good, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gran Turismo is the main attraction for me. That, and playing my PS4 library (I love Yakuza but I don't need to buy it again on XBOX)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I use my PS5 and my switch equally as heavily, OLED switch owns and OLED LG C1 with HDR for PS5 also owns. I was consumed by SMTV and ignored my PS5 the entire time but now with Elden ring I doubt I'll be touching my switch anytime soon (actually probably when Kirby drops)

True I use my PS5 as a PS4.5 maybe 70 percent of the time but as someone who never had a PS4 pro, the boost in loading and visuals is c h o i c e. The haptics are really neat but you don't need a PS5 for that since I think steam also supports it as long as you have a dual sense. Insane!

Anyways I am definitely getting Kirby day one, kirby games own. As for paradise killer, are upgraded visuals worth the loss of portability? I always feel like visual novel type games fare better when you can take them anywhere in the house, etc. I think I want to pick it up based on this thread's praise

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also i literally don't think i can fit a PS5 on my TV stand lol. mainly thanks to me buying giant rear end bookshelf speakers earlier this year

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

KingSlime posted:

I use my PS5 and my switch equally as heavily, OLED switch owns and OLED LG C1 with HDR for PS5 also owns. I was consumed by SMTV and ignored my PS5 the entire time but now with Elden ring I doubt I'll be touching my switch anytime soon (actually probably when Kirby drops)

I was peer pressured by the Xbox thread into getting an LG C1 after considering a lot of much cheaper TVs but I can't even be mad because it really is a thing of beauty.

Regrettably I haven't put as much time into Elden Ring as I'd like; Majora's Mask has its hooks in me right now and the more I play the more I fall in love with it all over again.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yep I just got my C1 earlier this month in prep for Elden ring and this panel really is living up to the hype. I got the 55 inch which was imo a very reasonable $1300 during Superbowl sales.

Considering how expensive TVs can get, I feel like this is the ideal level of price/quality for gaming nerds. It even has a weird mode that makes SMTV run at a perfect 60 fps, it's bizarre! Gets kind of artifact-y if you move a lot but it's kinda fun to mess around with.

60 fps SMTV is surreal (even if it's just a TV trick)

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

KingSlime posted:

Yep I just got my C1 earlier this month in prep for Elden ring and this panel really is living up to the hype. I got the 55 inch which was imo a very reasonable $1300 during Superbowl sales.

This was my identical situation last month; same reason, same TV, same price. :hfive:

Is that a VRR trick? I was under the impression that the Switch didn't support it, but most of my Switch gaming is handheld so I haven't tested it myself.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
LG C1 is a phenomenal TV, absolutely worth the price of admission.

Having an OLED TV & Switch is the dream.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I’m still playing Skyrim on a PS3 guys. Happy loading.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

eightysixed posted:

I’m still playing Skyrim on a PS3 guys. Happy loading.

the worst performing console game I’ve ever played tbh and it gets worse the more you play. I had like 120 hours on my PS3 save and it was a nightmare lol

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, it’s awful :suicide:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
MAR10 Day sales are live on the eShop if you don't already own all the Mario games like me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

eightysixed posted:

Yeah, it’s awful :suicide:

you should get it on switch, it’s really good!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

you should get it on switch, it’s really good!

Too far in to start over :(

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Ragequit posted:

MAR10 Day sales are live on the eShop if you don't already own all the Mario games like me.

:argh: why won't they put super mario party on sale? :argh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

abelwingnut posted:

:argh: why won't they put super mario party on sale? :argh:

they will once the next one comes out

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

the worst performing console game I’ve ever played tbh and it gets worse the more you play. I had like 120 hours on my PS3 save and it was a nightmare lol

Wasn't that also true of Fallout: NV on there?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

eightysixed posted:

Too far in to start over :(

I’ve played it on PS3, switch, PS4 and Xbox, staring fresh every time :cheers:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wasn't that also true of Fallout: NV on there?

yep, and that looked way worse as well. I had more crashes in NV but I think Skyrim took longer to load

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Bloop posted:

they will once the next one comes out

The next one did come out. Super Mario Party is the one preceding Mario Party Superstars

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

man nurse posted:

The next one did come out. Super Mario Party is the one preceding Mario Party Superstars

oh yea, that's the one i'm after. :argh: put it on sale, nintendo. :argh:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is Earthbound playable and fun for someone who didn’t play it back in the SNES days?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

It depends, are you a goon that enjoys things or enjoys nothing?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

Is Earthbound playable and fun for someone who didn’t play it back in the SNES days?

Most people in the SNES day didn't play it. So yes, you probably will. It's a timeless game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

imagine if the switch had a laptop hdd in it :negative:

The Switch Pro is going to come with at least 512gb of m2 storage.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1500962026738401286?s=20&t=LtsFSQcda9PY9Ep8X428rw

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Every time I want a PS5 I wonder if I should just get the OLED as my second system (first is a Switch normal) and be happier in the long run not playing “serious games”?

I play handheld enough for it to be worth it methinks. I still haven’t seen one in the wild to really woo me over.

Just to throw another opinion in, as someone who wasn't really hyped for it, the OLED screen looks amazing in comparison to the original. I never had a problem with the Switch screen but after playing the OLED the original seems so tiny and washed out in comparison.

If your Switch has the launch battery capacity you'll basically be doubling your playtime too. YMMV of course but if you play a lot of handheld and aren't really itching for a PS5 I don't think you'll regret the OLED.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m excited at all but I feel like the pitch for the last two Pokémon games was “it’s really gonna be open world this time!”

So, hope it doesn’t disappoint

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think they were pretty explicit that just the wild area was open

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How.

How does Doom 2016 run this well and still look this good?

How?

Man, Panic Button are kings and queens of porting. Beautiful stuff.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

man nurse posted:

I’m excited at all but I feel like the pitch for the last two Pokémon games was “it’s really gonna be open world this time!”

So, hope it doesn’t disappoint

I know they objectively lied about some of the model stuff in SwSh, but I think they've actually been pretty honest about the scope of the previous games openness

They definitely only advertised the wild area as being open in SwSh (almost to the point where they weren't entirely sold on it. They really wanted people to know the route + gym structure / etc. was still there) and even in the early stuff for Legends they never tried to oversell it - they always used terms like "areas" and "expeditions" and "base camps" and all sorts of other words you'd find in Monster Hunter, which was exactly the model they delivered

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
Hey, just want to put in a good word for "Battle Axe" while it's still on sale. It's basically a mix of "Gauntlet" and "Golden Axe." The arcade campaign is four levels long and takes about 20 minutes to beat. Since I installed it around ten days ago, I'm at the "played for 25 hours or more" mark. The gameplay, at just the DNA level, is soooooo fun. And I've just been playing single-player, I can't tell you if co-op is even better, but going by the fact that every single game I've ever played in the last thirty years has been better co-op, I'm betting so.

(There's also a mode that makes you randomized mazes, but they're very square and meh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Those are some spicy jaggies and textures