Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I was confused earlier too because last year (I think) they had a different Umbrella Academy cooperative board game and apparently it really sucked.
Different company, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lost Code might be worth a look-in as well
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mojitostudios/the-lost-code-reboot

Competitive Hanabi + Mastermind
Relatively cheap buy-in for the base game, which honestly I think is all you need.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Got two goon KS books this week.

Monster Care Squad is a truly incredible book. I had already read through much of it on PDF, but the print quality is excellent and the artwork really pops off the page. This is up there with Wanderhome in terms of being an excellent piece of physical art on top of the compelling game contained within. Kudos to Moles and the rest of their team, they have created something to be very proud of.

Hard Wired Island is also in my hands. Somehow I missed the kickstarter for this, so I grabbed a physical copy from Studio 2 publishing. Haven't had time to read it yet, but it is a hefty lad, packed with content and great production values. Mina is killer with layout and it really shows with how the book draws you in even just skimming through the pages. Excited to dig into it more. Ettin has another kickstarter for more HWI content on right now that has shockingly not yet funded: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ettin/hard-wired-island-stories-from-l5

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ZachAttack posted:

Hard Wired Island is also in my hands. Somehow I missed the kickstarter for this, so I grabbed a physical copy from Studio 2 publishing. Haven't had time to read it yet, but it is a hefty lad, packed with content and great production values. Mina is killer with layout and it really shows with how the book draws you in even just skimming through the pages. Excited to dig into it more. Ettin has another kickstarter for more HWI content on right now that has shockingly not yet funded: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ettin/hard-wired-island-stories-from-l5

It's good. My group kind of missed the point of the game and so things didn't land well, but it's a well made game and one I'd give plenty of extra chances to getting the "intended" experience.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Does anyone know where I can find a Root RPG deluxe bundle with the Vagabonds Satchel? It was the $100 pledge with the maps, clearing booklet, etc. The Magpie games site had it for a bit but they were asking like $250 so I'm hoping to find someone unloading an extra pledge or something.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

sportsgenius86 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-rook-city-renegades-expansion?ref=user_menu

The first expansion for the Sentinels Definitive Edition launched today. Kind of came out of nowhere, at least for me, but the definitive edition base is really good so I'm in.

Am a little curious about why extra sleeves and a foil pack is more than just a "base" pledge for the expansion, but I've always been pretty all in on SotM so I'm in on that too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lawlicaust posted:

The Umbrella Academy Kickstarter is one of those rare occasions where I wish the game had 10 expansions available for it. I think I’m less likely to back it as is because that doesn’t look like enough villains for much replayability. I’m sure they will reveal more stuff in stretch goals but it seems a little light on content. All the miniatures and a tiny board seems weird too.

JazzFlight posted:

I was confused earlier too because last year (I think) they had a different Umbrella Academy cooperative board game and apparently it really sucked.
Different company, I think.

This one is by Mantic, if you want an idea of where it'll probably end up either in the KS or after in terms of expansions, they also made The Walking Dead: All Out War and Hellboy: The Boardgame.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The money back guarantee for Sentinels is interesting.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Dawgstar posted:

The money back guarantee for Sentinels is interesting.

I think they were worried that people who had bought everything for the old edition wouldn't want to start from scratch on a new edition but were also confident that people playing the new edition would see the benefit of the changes they've made.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

kinkouin posted:

Am a little curious about why extra sleeves and a foil pack is more than just a "base" pledge for the expansion, but I've always been pretty all in on SotM so I'm in on that too.

I mean, it’s 850 sleeves.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Return to Dark Tower just arrived and holy gently caress

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kingdoms Forlorn is entering the last couple of days, honestly I got hooked pretty early into the campaign but they have added a ton. The core box basically got double the content it started off with.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdomsforlorn/kingdoms-forlorn-dragons-devils-and-kings?ref=user_menu

I mean just look at this guy:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CODChimera posted:

Kingdoms Forlorn is entering the last couple of days, honestly I got hooked pretty early into the campaign but they have added a ton. The core box basically got double the content it started off with.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdomsforlorn/kingdoms-forlorn-dragons-devils-and-kings?ref=user_menu

I mean just look at this guy:

I want it but don't have $500 to spend on a complicated board game with tons of minis so I guess I'm not getting it

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want it but don't have $500 to spend on a complicated board game with tons of minis so I guess I'm not getting it

Do you have like $160? because the core pledge is about 50% of the total content for that, and the rest of the content is the other $300. You'd assuredly be fine with just it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

dwarf74 posted:

Return to Dark Tower just arrived and holy gently caress

Just played my first game of it solo. It's pretty fun. I love my big dumb growly glowing tower.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

it's a similar situation to AT:O in that you can get the core game and pick up the expansions later on in wave 2 if you want them

it does feel like expansions for these big games are not needed for most people.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

malkav11 posted:

Do you have like $160? because the core pledge is about 50% of the total content for that, and the rest of the content is the other $300. You'd assuredly be fine with just it.

TBQH I still need to pay for my Call of Kilforth kickstarter this month and to get call + minis is still $250~ or so, closer to $350 if I opt for shadows of kilforth...

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Well. I would put that money towards Kingdoms Forlorn, personally. But to each their own.

(I have the first two Kilforths. I didn't feel the need for Call and may sell them.)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Approaching the last 24 hours of my duck miniatures kickstarter, and we just hit 100 backers! Yay!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/farflungfigures/the-silver-feather-adventure-guild

One of the most fun things this far IMHO is to start to make connections with other small hobby companies. For example, I've joined up with DuckQuest RPG and will be writing a small part of their new adventure setting as a crossover with my duck range, making a few NPCs and story hooks based on the minis.

I expected realistically around 30 backers and a small but not significant profit on this kickstarter, but now it's starting to be enough that I'll end up with a small slush fund. This will enable me to do things like order some commission art and a logo, register a website, and also to cover master molds of future minis, until now that has just been money out of my own pocket and had to be included in the budget for his kickstarter to break even.

Cutest story this far: one customer asking if he'd be able to double his order in the backerkit, as both his twin daughters want their own set. :3:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

That's fantastic, yo. Congrats on having something you've obviously spent a lot of time and effort on bear fruit, and show that there's definitely a market for duck minis. I hope you have a plan for a possible second Kickstarter, because you've got something neat in your hands.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

sportsgenius86 posted:

I mean, it’s 850 sleeves.

You're not wrong.

I still have to get my "old" SotM and sleeve that, and that's at least 4k cards...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My house is flooding this week, so yall get the ultra lazy gently caress version
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/t83qfa/crowdfunded_games_launching_this_week_mar_7th_2022/

I'm potentially backing Hamlet, cause I'm a sucker for tile laying games.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Aniodia posted:

That's fantastic, yo. Congrats on having something you've obviously spent a lot of time and effort on bear fruit, and show that there's definitely a market for duck minis. I hope you have a plan for a possible second Kickstarter, because you've got something neat in your hands.

Yeah it's been quite a ride. Campaign just ended, and here are some stats and some learning points:

€4,176 pledged of €675 goal (618%). My honest expectation was probably around € 2 000, around € 700 was my breakeven point.

115 backers. Again, I expected maybe 30ish. So this was an even bigger surprise. There are some €1 backers in there so it might even out backers that end up not paying. I learned a lot about who is interested in this kind of miniatures and which channels are worth pursuing.

Biggest source of backers was facebook. Basically posting in relevant groups. This was by far the most successful methods of reaching out. Adds did basically nothing, I spent just a tiny amount on it but also got some banners for free on a few miniatures and tabletop sites and they had no impact. Direct interaction was much a much bigger deal. I guess adds might work for big projects with budgets in the hundreds of thousands, but not for small projects with niche markets like this. An advantage of running for 20 days was that I could post in a few groups, see if there was any traction, post again in a few groups and so on. That taught me more about which channels are ice cold and which ones were rewarding.

I'm already starting to sketch at my next project, I'd love to get to a point where I can sculpt enough to run two kickstarters per year.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

lilljonas posted:

Yeah it's been quite a ride. Campaign just ended, and here are some stats and some learning points:

€4,176 pledged of €675 goal (618%). My honest expectation was probably around € 2 000, around € 700 was my breakeven point.

115 backers. Again, I expected maybe 30ish. So this was an even bigger surprise. There are some €1 backers in there so it might even out backers that end up not paying. I learned a lot about who is interested in this kind of miniatures and which channels are worth pursuing.

Biggest source of backers was facebook. Basically posting in relevant groups. This was by far the most successful methods of reaching out. Adds did basically nothing, I spent just a tiny amount on it but also got some banners for free on a few miniatures and tabletop sites and they had no impact. Direct interaction was much a much bigger deal. I guess adds might work for big projects with budgets in the hundreds of thousands, but not for small projects with niche markets like this. An advantage of running for 20 days was that I could post in a few groups, see if there was any traction, post again in a few groups and so on. That taught me more about which channels are ice cold and which ones were rewarding.

I'm already starting to sketch at my next project, I'd love to get to a point where I can sculpt enough to run two kickstarters per year.

First off, congrats on your success!

Secondly, thanks for this insight here. I've personally found KS ads to be incredibly obnoxious and an absolute turn off to many projects out there.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

lilljonas posted:

Just fyi I did a campaign for a very niche game recently and ads made the campaign for me. I hired someone who knew what they were doing with them to create and run them on Facebook and its where the vast majority of my 350 backers came from. I think you really need to know how to work Facebook ads to make them successful.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Infinitum posted:

My house is flooding this week,

…are you ok? :ohdear:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

He'll be fine, he's got his top cat on the scene

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Infinitum posted:

I'm potentially backing Hamlet, cause I'm a sucker for tile laying games.

A Hamlet tile laying game?

quote:

Hamlet: The Village Building Game

Oh, that kind of hamlet.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah all good. East Coast of Australia has had rain fro the last 3 weeks and everything is overflowing everywhere.

My house is flooding down to the side and backyard, but I've sandbagged everything, trenched the front yard, and were at the top of a hill.
Torrential rain = pipes can't handle the amount of water

FirstAidKite posted:

He'll be fine, he's got his top cat on the scene

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

bagrada posted:

A Hamlet tile laying game?

Oh, that kind of hamlet.

You can lay Hamlet if you want

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Infinitum posted:

You can lay Hamlet if you want

Country matters eh?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

Just fyi I did a campaign for a very niche game recently and ads made the campaign for me. I hired someone who knew what they were doing with them to create and run them on Facebook and its where the vast majority of my 350 backers came from. I think you really need to know how to work Facebook ads to make them successful.

This is very interesting to hear. It seems like it could be a good idea to save some cash from the first campaign to be used for testing a more skilled advertizement then. Either way I think it's good to get a few campaigns under your belt at a smaller scale, to learn what works and doesn't for my specific niche. Thanks for the input!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A good foreman.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Yeah all good. East Coast of Australia has had rain fro the last 3 weeks and everything is overflowing everywhere.

My house is flooding down to the side and backyard, but I've sandbagged everything, trenched the front yard, and were at the top of a hill.
Torrential rain = pipes can't handle the amount of water

Our area in Brissie is recovering from the storms now - good luck :respek:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Just use the gloomhaven box to stop the flood, problem solved.

The cyanide and happiness guys are making a new game and are using game found instead of Kickstarter due to the crypto stuff.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Azubah posted:

Just use the gloomhaven box to stop the flood, problem solved.

The cyanide and happiness guys are making a new game and are using game found instead of Kickstarter due to the crypto stuff.

Happy to see them say it so explicitly. They're in an interesting position because Joking Hazard and Trial By Trolley were each 3 million bucks, so I hope that gets noticed at KS HQ. Could these stupid schemes actually make up their lost 300k or whatever they would have made on that 3 million bucks, not to mention the whole "establishing a market for their own floundering competition when they we previously a de facto monopoly" thing? Who knows, but I'm happy to see it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Unfortunately, Brandon Sanderson has a record-breaking Kickstarter going on that was over $26 million when I last looked so they'll probably go "lol" and continue to do nothing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I generally like his books but after that insufferable clickbait youtube video gently caress him and his stupid campaign.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Bottom Liner posted:

I generally like his books but after that insufferable clickbait youtube video gently caress him and his stupid campaign.

Hubbawha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Have you not seen or heard about Sanderson's giant kickstarter to self publish a bunch of books he wrote in his spare time during pandemic times?