Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sit on my Facebook posted:

Finally, at long last, I can put Kaldra Compleat back in my Hammertime deck

RIP in piss Nightmare Cat, you were the worst

Time posted:

yeah but you shouldn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

finally finished my project and I'm done with crunch. time to unwind and catch up on what's new in the world of em tee

gently caress

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Okay but Sword of Fire and Ice though

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

a lot of words I agree with

the funny thing is that historic used to be true to paper until digital-only cards were introduced in jumpstart historic horizons (which preceded alchemy by six months). before they introduced seek, conjure, perpetual, draft-from-spellbook, and the rest in JHH, you could theoretically play historic in paper. pioneer on arena is now seen as the only viable route to a paper extended format on arena because historic got redefined. I guess getting rid of the hearthstone cards is unthinkable so we have to rally to arena pioneer instead of just saying "make historic 1-to-1 with paper."

if you suggested bringing a historic deck to an LGS when historic was first implemented, you'd have been laughed out of the room. but that possibility was growing a lot less silly as the format matured and the meta developed and pros were iterating on it... right up until the digital mechanics were introduced. I want to live in the timeline where historic continued to be true-to-paper and I could bring jeskai opus or red burn or angel company to my lgs and play with other arena transplants

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

kalel posted:

the funny thing is that historic used to be true to paper until digital-only cards were introduced in jumpstart historic horizons (which preceded alchemy by six months). before they introduced seek, conjure, perpetual, draft-from-spellbook, and the rest in JHH, you could theoretically play historic in paper. pioneer on arena is now seen as the only viable route to a paper extended format on arena because historic got redefined. I guess getting rid of the hearthstone cards is unthinkable so we have to rally to arena pioneer instead of just saying "make historic 1-to-1 with paper."

if you suggested bringing a historic deck to an LGS when historic was first implemented, you'd have been laughed out of the room. but that possibility was growing a lot less silly as the format matured and the meta developed and pros were iterating on it... right up until the digital mechanics were introduced. I want to live in the timeline where historic continued to be true-to-paper and I could bring jeskai opus or red burn or angel company to my lgs and play with other arena transplants

my problem here, honestly, is that i kind of agree that 'historic without the digital only cards' isn't different enough from current historic for it to be the central paper eternal format on arena and i do think that they should do something to make it that way, even if i'm not exactly sure what.

one of the times i got to mythic was off of elves, where allosaurus shepherd and craterhoof behemoth are historic legal but not pioneer legal + that deck just feels iconic to the format to me -- but i could play it right now at almost identical effectiveness in alchemy and non-alchemy historic & that just feels off? alchemy and standard at least have the alchemy cards be a much bigger chunk of the card pool than alchemy historic vs 'non-digital historic,' so you actually do feel the difference there

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The moral of the story is digital cards are rear end

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
lol just lol if you're playing online and not hoarding cardboard

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

my problem here, honestly, is that i kind of agree that 'historic without the digital only cards' isn't different enough from current historic for it to be the central paper eternal format on arena and i do think that they should do something to make it that way, even if i'm not exactly sure what.

one of the times i got to mythic was off of elves, where allosaurus shepherd and craterhoof behemoth are historic legal but not pioneer legal + that deck just feels iconic to the format to me -- but i could play it right now at almost identical effectiveness in alchemy and non-alchemy historic & that just feels off? alchemy and standard at least have the alchemy cards be a much bigger chunk of the card pool than alchemy historic vs 'non-digital historic,' so you actually do feel the difference there

Historic minus the Hearthstone cards is as different from Historic as Alchemy minus the Hearthstone cards is from Standard. It’s different enough that a lot of people want it. There isn’t really a good reason to not have it other than they want to push (in both senses lol) Alchemy packs and they could never get away with killing Standard.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TheKingofSprings posted:

The moral of the story is digital cards are rear end

while i'm being honest i've softened up on them a good amount after watching the gladiator games this weekend (it's a singleton format with all cards on arena, with a small banlist and no rebalances) https://www.twitch.tv/gladiatormtga

a lot of them are just regular-rear end things you could do in paper with some wild templating or sacrifices regarding game speed/memory issues. i've also always had some fondness for the weirdo cards you'd get in historic from old/obscure sets & they do have some of the same vibe

fadam posted:

Historic minus the Hearthstone cards is as different from Historic as Alchemy minus the Hearthstone cards is from Standard. It’s different enough that a lot of people want it. There isn’t really a good reason to not have it other than they want to push (in both senses lol) Alchemy packs and they could never get away with killing Standard.

it's a proportional thing, like i said the last time you said this to me. about a tenth of the alchemy card pool is cards that aren't standard legal compared to under 3% of historic, assuming all alchemy cards get played the same amount in alchemy vs historic (which they don't). as historic gets more paper sets backfilled, even less of it will be alchemy cards proportionally whereas standard vs alchemy will always be about 10%

because of all that, alchemy will always feel significantly different from standard but historic and a digital-less historic will always be very close. i know you disagree (or, probably more truthfully, just don't really give a poo poo about anything that doesn't match your opinion on this) but i think the numbers hold up and it matches my own experience playing these formats

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

while i'm being honest i've softened up on them a good amount after watching the gladiator games this weekend (it's a singleton format with all cards on arena, with a small banlist and no rebalances) https://www.twitch.tv/gladiatormtga

a lot of them are just regular-rear end things you could do in paper with some wild templating or sacrifices regarding game speed/memory issues. i've also always had some fondness for the weirdo cards you'd get in historic from old/obscure sets & they do have some of the same vibe

it's a proportional thing, like i said the last time you said this to me. about a tenth of the alchemy card pool is cards that aren't standard legal compared to under 3% of historic, assuming all alchemy cards get played the same amount in alchemy vs historic (which they don't). as historic gets more paper sets backfilled, even less of it will be alchemy cards proportionally whereas standard vs alchemy will always be about 10%

because of all that, alchemy will always feel significantly different from standard but historic and a digital-less historic will always be very close. i know you disagree (or, probably more truthfully, just don't really give a poo poo about anything that doesn't match your opinion on this) but i think the numbers hold up and it matches my own experience playing these formats

You’re right, I don’t give a poo poo, and a ton of people who want an “eternal” format that’s true to paper don’t either. Regardless of proportion,It’s a big enough difference that it’s turning a lot of people off.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if only I'd said somewhere that I want them to put a true to paper format on arena as soon as possible so that you wouldn't continue to accuse me of wanting nothing to change

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
NRG (the people who run big tournaments in the Midwest) is holding an Alchemy open, so if it fills up (like their modern did this weekend, plus 80+ teams the day before) I'll believe the interest in alchemy is there.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

im returning to the game after a long hiatus--what are 'hearthstone cards' in the context of mtg? digital only cards Im guessing? what do they do that is so offensive

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

im returning to the game after a long hiatus--what are 'hearthstone cards' in the context of mtg? digital only cards Im guessing? what do they do that is so offensive

Short version:

Cards on MTG Arena, with mechanics that can't be done in paper (permanent changes that track between zones, generate random cards, etc), for formats that only exist online. Here's a list: https://scryfall.com/search?q=e%3Ay22

Some people are mad about them because "that's not magic!!!!!!!", the bigger issue is that they can be nerfed at any time, with no refund, so it's a huge "economical" risk to participate in formats that include them. One of the Arena formats (Historic) didn't include cards like this until recently and now everything is fair game and the people that liked Historic before are annoyed because they can't opt out of having to deal with these cards.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

it's a derisive term for a few digital only mechanics that they've introduced in last year's jumpstart: historic horizons & are continuing to make for their new "alchemy" format that's basically 'what if standard was a digital format and they could change it up more often so it's less stale'

the main four are:
- seek, which is roughly a hybrid of cascade and tutor; a card will say something like "seek a nonland card and add it to your hand" and you'll get a random card from your deck matching that restriction
- conjure, which is analogous to creating a card out of thin air. it's like a card that makes a token, except the 'token card' functions just like a regular card in your deck. the sarkhan planeswalker with conjure adds a shivan dragon to your hand, for example.
- perpetually, which modifies a card across all zones it's in -- even if it goes to the yard, or goes to exile and comes back (or the command zone!). this is usually modifying casting cost, keywords, or stats but there's more complex options out there.
- spellbook, which is analogous to a card having its own dedicated wishboard that you either get a random card from or you get to pick one of three options. this is where the hearthstone comparison really lies, since it's very close to their "discover" mechanic.

there's also a few digital-only cards that do things that'd cause memory issues in paper, or would require revealing information to your opponent that they can do in digital because the game is an impartial judge of the base truth state of the game. here's the 13 cards so far that are like that and this dude's my favorite one of them:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lone Goat posted:

Some people are mad about them because "that's not magic!!!!!!!", the bigger issue is that they can be nerfed at any time, with no refund, so it's a huge "economical" risk to participate in formats that include them. One of the Arena formats (Historic) didn't include cards like this until recently and now everything is fair game and the people that liked Historic before are annoyed because they can't opt out of having to deal with these cards.

yeah, a lot of the frustration is around the implementation of the cards and less the cards themselves (though obviously people are upset at the cards existing at all). they're in historic without a true-to-paper alternative extended format for the people who don't like them; wizards is also simultaneously doing card rebalances for alchemy that fall back to historic (with no alternative)

the biggest problem people are having is as of right now they're not giving any wildcard refunds if a card gets rebalanced because it's still unbanned in non-alchemy formats + a good chunk of the rebalances are buffs or sidegrades (including a few cards that were outright banned in historic and have been reintroduced in rebalanced form). this has given people cold feet about spending any time in alchemy (or historic, thanks to the above) because they feel like a deck they build might be gone overnight without anything to show for it

personally i kind of felt that way about building decks on arena anyway (guess how many decks i've built where what gets banned isn't the rare or mythic that only fit in said deck) but now that i do a lot of my random brewing in historic brawl it hurts a bit less & i think they're gonna backpedal on wildcard refunds at some point this year anyway

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
im the guy saying "that's not magic!!!!!!!" im yelling it from the mountaintops

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/kinokosan_mtg/status/1500939873364381698?s=20&t=Vs_iDAwdRocrFzThOxSg1g

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh that's right they let it back into vintage aafter being the only card in history to be power-level banned in vintage.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Lone Goat posted:

They had some aspects of Mirage/Jamuraa in Dominaria, and one of the recent core sets had a bunch of descendants as legendary creatures, does that count?

What would constitute a Mirage sequel for you? When I think of Mirage as a setting the main things that stick out are Love Song of Night and Day and that it's on a faux African setting - though I don't know enough about the culture to recognise specifics, and who knows how respectful they'd have been about it in 1996.

i remeber liking the art and setting in Jamuraa as a kid so another set on the continent perhaps with some modern culutral sensitivity.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Is companion the actual worst mechanic ever? I think the case can certainly be made. It's a failure on every level from conception to implementation.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

No, amplify is the worst mechanic

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Is companion the actual worst mechanic ever? I think the case can certainly be made. It's a failure on every level from conception to implementation.

No it's actually cool as hell to have a friend, and the idea that you can build your deck around a restriction for a bonus is very interesting, the only problem is that they were too powerful.

The worst mechanic is Bands With Others, which is unflavourful, nobody knows how it works, and it doesn't even do anything worthwhile.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Companion is pretty neat but I've only played with it after they changed it to have a cost, without that it sounds like the most bullshit thing in the world

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

Cool I can play BBE in Jund again

But why are you playing Jund.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the problem with companion is that every change I've ever seen suggested to make it not broken sucks and the current "pay 3 to add to hand" is the least sucky solution. I think it's an unfixable mechanic. And no this is not an invitation to post your own idea on how to fix companion, thank you

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kalel posted:

the problem with companion is that every change I've ever seen suggested to make it not broken sucks and the current "pay 3 to add to hand" is the least sucky solution. I think it's an unfixable mechanic. And no this is not an invitation to post your own idea on how to fix companion, thank you

What I would do is.. hey :mad:

:toot: looks like the last few pieces I need for my budget (aka no caverns) modern elves list might come in before magic. Elves isn't like.. all that great, but it's still fun at least

I'll have to figure out how much I feel like thinking for this weekend I guess to pick which deck to play

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ante

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

YggdrasilTM posted:

But why are you playing Jund.

because I spent lots of loving money on goyf, bob, Lotv, and fetches/black leave cliffs...5 years ago?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

speaking of which, are there any good modern content creators on YouTube? by which I mean

- no annoying YouTuber voice
- decent player and deckbuilder
- doesn't get theatrically tilted for views
- regular uploads
- has MTGO sounds turned off for gods sake

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I really like the LRR crew as personalities, but I’m pretty sure none of them are great players.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kalel posted:

speaking of which, are there any good modern content creators on YouTube? by which I mean

- regular uploads

Caleb does modern content but its on a rotation with draft and stuff

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

kalel posted:

- regular uploads

He doesn’t exclusively play modern, but Bosh N Roll hits all those marks. He uploads a video every weekday and it’s usually 2-3 legacy decks, then 0-1 for modern pauper and vintage every week.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Does the lurrus ban mean stoneforge decks will play swords again or are those days dead and gone

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think they're unfixable without vastly changing the concept. Either they're bad and don't get played, or they're good and show up on curve every game until you're sick of them

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think they're unfixable without vastly changing the concept. Either they're bad and don't get played, or they're good and show up on curve every game until you're sick of them

Funny then that lurrus was the only one never on curve

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It's a shame because companion is such a cool concept and amazing in limited, even in the original form (as it wasnt busted because the deckbuilding/draft cost was so high).

But yeah it just seems impossible to tune properly.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Siivola posted:

I really like the LRR crew as personalities, but I’m pretty sure none of them are great players.

Wheeler seems to really know his stuff, but I don’t think he plays Modern.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Lutri's condition is a basic rule of EDH (the h stands for highlander (there can only be one)) so Sheldon & c. banned it the day it was revealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Lutri's condition is a basic rule of EDH (the h stands for highlander (there can only be one)) so Sheldon & c. banned it the day it was revealed.

Yeah, main problem with Companions in general was that they are just a free extra starting card in hand for any deck that meets the requirements and the requirements were way less limiting than Wizards thought they were, to the point where a lot of decks already met them by accident, notably with Lurrus. It's a bad design when a card is an auto-include in literally any deck that can play it, in perpetuity.

Lutri was just the most obvious example, keeping it legal in commander would have meant that any Commander deck for the rest of time that had a UR colour identity was objectively doing it wrong if they didn't run Lutri. You would be leaving free value on the table if you didn't run Lutri, there would be literally no reason ever to not to run it in a UR commander deck.

Companions were such a huge design mistake, I'm still mad about them.