Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The three point landing, or superhero landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwUilIo036g

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Although it does that thing I hate in movies and TV where two guys with guns both have them pointed at each other and neither shoots the other.

Like...you were both wildly shooting the last five minutes, but now that you have what is a clear shot, you stop to talk. It's not like a sword fight where if you go first you might accidentally leave an opening, or something, for the other. Just loving shoot.

It ALMOST makes sense for whichever one was the cop at the time (Travolta?) to not shoot because he's the "good guy" and shoot arrest Cage, not kill him...but there's no reason for Cage's character to not pull a Frank Reynolds and start blastin'.
Fun crossover with the PYF Comic thread!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hitmen for Destiny #521: Stalemate

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

credburn posted:

Any time in any action movie an actor lands from some height in, you know, that pose. Where they have like one knee on the ground and they're looking down but then look up real dramatically. It's like a loving knock-knock joke, or a meme; it's like a reference to something so loving lost to time that it's just referencing the reference, or just doing it because we all don't loving know how not to do it anymore.
It's like the wilhelm scream now. It has gotten to the point where we not only have to have it in every action movie, there has to be a joke about it too.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Alhazred posted:

It's like the wilhelm scream now. It has gotten to the point where we not only have to have it in every action movie, there has to be a joke about it too.
At this point there's only one other way to do it, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvkN3003iU4

But, really, complaining about the superhero pose is basically like complaining about the "cool guys don't look at explosions" trope.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

poonchasta posted:

Have you seen The Way of the Gun? This sweet scene might change your mind about that trope.

https://youtu.be/BovXzH36M0I

That escape tactic looks very effective because if you shoot someone that has a gun already pointing at you, you will probably get shot too.

That's not the same thing, though. Those guys weren't shooting at each other to start off.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Gromit posted:

That's not the same thing, though. Those guys weren't shooting at each other to start off.

I always liked the way The Matrix did it, since you get the cool cliché but solve it immediately.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Rewatched Dark Knight Rises.

Bunch of unarmed cops are walking down the street towards Bane's goons, who are all armed with machine guns. Bad guys also have three batmobiles which unlimber their big cannons. Bane orders his goons to open fire, but then! The batplane shows up and blows up the cannon on one of the batmobiles and then flies away, doing precisely nothing about the goons with machine guns, and then the cops charge and the goons start firing.

At the street, apparently, because a bunch of sparks start popping up from the ground. Bullets don't do that, but whatever, that's how Hollywood shows bullet impacts. But the fact that these are sparkball rounds from crew in the building to stage right is not the issue. Watch the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCEo7SCvYH4

I really don't know what the most ridiculous aspect of this scene is. First, two of the batmobiles are entirely untouched, so even if the one was put entirely out of commission the other two are capable of firing those cannon or, you know, moving and just running guys the gently caress over and they do nothing. They're scenery, so why were they there in the first place? Second, a human-wave attack against 30 dudes with machine guns would be a loving massacre, they'd be mowed down en masse, but instead only three or four guys go down. I mean, okay, there are hundreds of them and maybe they could choke the guns with their dead and win anyway but for sure more of them would be shot down than just three of four. But then this in turn sort of makes sense because if you watch closely only a single goon is actually firing his weapon, the rest of them are just sort of shuffling forward until they collectively decide to ignore the fact that they have guns and charge to meet the cops in a big melee in the street.

Also the break in the action so we can watch Catwoman blow up a wall of garbage so she can move to the next room like a scene from a JRPG is pointless.

Everything about this is dumb and bad.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Mar 7, 2022

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I'm partial to this one from Underworld

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm partial to this one from Underworld

Any time a Superprotagonist can just loving land on their feet I want to applaud.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched the King's Man and the pacing is really bad. The first half of the movie is concerned about killing Rasputin. After that there is a long stretch where the movie tries to be 1917 and then in the final ten minutes the movie remembers that it's supposed to be a fun action like the previous two movies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Isn't that basically just because it's the easiest way to transition from the stuntman to the actor?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I mean the first two sucked why wouldn't the prequel?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I remain irritated to this day that in Battleship they showed old dudes blazing away with mounted machine guns against the giant alien ship, but none of the anti aircraft guns.

Sick movie otherwise. Top drifting a battleship, just fuckin try.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Jurassic Park holds up great and the T-Rex scene is still fantastic, but the older I get the more bothered I am by the fact that the seemingly level ground in the T-Rex’s enclosure is right next to a gigantic deadly ravine. The geography of the park barely makes sense.

(Apologies if someone else mentioned this, it just bugs me.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's a well known issue

Fwiw the original script makes a point of saying that the area where the Rex broke out onto the road was "gentl[y] terraced" but the car is next to a sharp dropoff, not that the film is successful in making the topography clear

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The first time I saw that landing from a giant drop thing was in The First Power starting Lou Diamond Phillips.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Phanatic posted:

Rewatched Dark Knight Rises.

Bunch of unarmed cops are walking down the street towards Bane's goons, who are all armed with machine guns. Bad guys also have three batmobiles which unlimber their big cannons. Bane orders his goons to open fire, but then! The batplane shows up and blows up the cannon on one of the batmobiles and then flies away, doing precisely nothing about the goons with machine guns, and then the cops charge and the goons start firing.

At the street, apparently, because a bunch of sparks start popping up from the ground. Bullets don't do that, but whatever, that's how Hollywood shows bullet impacts. But the fact that these are sparkball rounds from crew in the building to stage right is not the issue. Watch the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCEo7SCvYH4

I really don't know what the most ridiculous aspect of this scene is. First, two of the batmobiles are entirely untouched, so even if the one was put entirely out of commission the other two are capable of firing those cannon or, you know, moving and just running guys the gently caress over and they do nothing. They're scenery, so why were they there in the first place? Second, a human-wave attack against 30 dudes with machine guns would be a loving massacre, they'd be mowed down en masse, but instead only three or four guys go down. I mean, okay, there are hundreds of them and maybe they could choke the guns with their dead and win anyway but for sure more of them would be shot down than just three of four. But then this in turn sort of makes sense because if you watch closely only a single goon is actually firing his weapon, the rest of them are just sort of shuffling forward until they collectively decide to ignore the fact that they have guns and charge to meet the cops in a big melee in the street.

Also the break in the action so we can watch Catwoman blow up a wall of garbage so she can move to the next room like a scene from a JRPG is pointless.

Everything about this is dumb and bad.

Everything about the second half of The Dark Knight Rises is garbage verging on fascist apologia, it's so astoundingly bad that I haven't seen another Nolan film since.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

Everything about the second half of The Dark Knight Rises is garbage verging on fascist apologia, it's so astoundingly bad that I haven't seen another Nolan film since.

Yeah, I was about to say. Until I watched that clip I'd actually forgotten just how outright authoritarian that poo poo was. Why yes, the only thing that can protect you from the improbably well-armed organized gangs is a larger gang of cops engaging with them in a giant street brawl. :barf:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just don't understand how anyone can watch Dark knight Rises and not see Bane as an unequivocal good guy liberating what is essentially a police state.

I mean sure he was going to nuke it but everything we see if the city under his control is a massive improvement on the state of it under the Batman -Gordon-Harvey Triumvirate. Can't make an omelette without nuking a few eggs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Remember that the movie came out shortly after the Occupy movement and used a lot of that flavor for the "bad" guys.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I remember right wing media types getting a pissed off angle by implying that the bad guy being named Bane was a deliberate shot at presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I've always liked Slavoj Žižek's analysis of the politics of The Dark Knight Rises:

The Dictatorship of the Proletariat in Gotham City

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember right wing media types getting a pissed off angle by implying that the bad guy being named Bane was a deliberate shot at presidential candidate Mitt Romney.
Despite wearing a muzzle, Bane would never drive 12 hours with his dog on the roof of his car.

Also, what!?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FFT posted:

Despite wearing a muzzle, Bane would never drive 12 hours with his dog on the roof of his car.

Also, what!?

https://www.baincapital.com/

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Dark Knight Rises is pure piss but Tom Hardy is having so much fun :allears:

I really like that they had to tack on "also he wants to nuke the city" because otherwise he was clearly the fuckin good guy lol

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

Dark Knight Rises is pure piss but Tom Hardy is having so much fun :allears:

I heard this drum and bass song once that sampled DKR that just went on for loving everrrrr but the one upside was getting familiar with the positively jolly inflection Hardy puts on "I was born in it... MOLDED by it!:buddy:"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The best thing about Dark Knight Rises is the fact that the entire ending is basically "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb."

Relatedly, both The Batman and the first episode of the 60s Batman involve him going to a night club to figure out the Riddler's scheme. Thought that was funny. I liked The Batman, but looking back on it, it was almost too serious to take seriously.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

lmao how did i forget

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When was the last good non animated Batman movie?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Batman '89 for the soundtrack, Batman Returns for the sheer goodness of the movie.

I did enjoy Justice League but my favorite part by far had to be Bruce just filling up a 12oz tumbler of whisky to the top like it's no big deal.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just finished Season 5 of Better Call Saul and those had to be the worst assassins I've seen in something that isn't a parody.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cowslips Warren posted:

When was the last good non animated Batman movie?

A few days ago

E: I’ll say it for the 20th time, In the dark knight Batman does some simulation thing firing bullets into blocks and it gives him a thumbprint and I don’t understand it. I’ll never understand it. Don’t bother trying to explain, it won’t help.

oldpainless has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Mar 8, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Well you don't understand it because it doesn't make sense. It's just hand wavey "we did science and know who this is now."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the idea was he dug all the poo poo out of the wall, and he did the block shooting to see how the bullets should fragment, and his batcomputer took the one that matches up the best and made the fingerprint from the bullet scans I assume he made when he put the info into the computer.

It makes no actual sense but I guess in a comic book science way it kinda sorta does?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think the idea was he dug all the poo poo out of the wall, and he did the block shooting to see how the bullets should fragment, and his batcomputer took the one that matches up the best and made the fingerprint from the bullet scans I assume he made when he put the info into the computer.

It makes no actual sense but I guess in a comic book science way it kinda sorta does?

It's the kind of poo poo that happens in the Arkham Asylum video games lol

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
My dad wanted to watch "Free Guy" with me and that screenplay made me angry. I walked out around the cumsock joke, so maybe this gets resolved but it won't stop turning in my head: The bad guy is taken to task by his employee for making a "lazy cash-in" sequel to his (stolen) game. Except, per their conversations about it, the sequel specifically lacks any recycled code or art assets. So he stole the game, changed a couple assets, and then wrote an entirely new game from scratch for the sequel. And that's the lazy part.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think it was the engine/world he stole and not the actual game, but it's been so long since I saw it that I still don't care.

The end fight was hilarious though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Armacham posted:

It's the kind of poo poo that happens in the Arkham Asylum video games lol

The best part is, iirc the batcomputer makes the fingerprint on the ENTIRE BULLET CASING and not just the actual bullet that would have hit the wall. Cause when most people load a magazine they don't randomly shove their finger directly into the actual bullet point first to load it.

He could have saved a shitload of time just by fingerprinting the casing. To be fair though I don't remember if they picked up the casings when they left, so it might not have been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Look what part of world's greatest detective don't you understand