Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
After Q3, and I expect I'll be WELL into 2023 before I can get one. My own personal bet is that I'm not going to get one before the Steam Deck 2 is announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I preordered one like 10 days ago and i'm After Q3 fwiw

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Q3 window seems pretty large if it's ranging from 30 minutes after orders went live to a few days later. I didn't order until 4 or 5 hours after orders went live, and yep, Q3.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
In the US, how long did it take for users to get their deck after the first wave?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Still in Q2, glad to not get bumped. I also got the midrange option which (extremely anecdotally) seems to be the least popular, on account of I got hefty microsd cards and mostly play indie poo poo.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Big firmware update today apparently, it even warns you that the update will look weird.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was worried to check my steam deck reservation but luckily it’s still Q2.

512 ordered like 5 min after opening due to server issues.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

MarcusSA posted:

I was worried to check my steam deck reservation but luckily it’s still Q2.

512 ordered like 5 min after opening due to server issues.
LOL same. Crazy how just a few seconds here or there put us in the Q2 bracket. I was mashing the hell out of that pre-order button right at launch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

LOL same. Crazy how just a few seconds here or there put us in the Q2 bracket. I was mashing the hell out of that pre-order button right at launch.

I’d love to know the size of the Q1 batch. I’m betting it is incredibly small

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I’d love to know the size of the Q1 batch. I’m betting it is incredibly small
it's also only 4 weeks' worth of shipments compared to 12-13 for Q2

they said they'd be going from tens of thousands in Q1 to hundreds of thousands in Q2 and if they're, say, shipping out 20k a week, then yeah, Q2 would be 240-260k compared to 80k for Q1

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I wonder if you could make a rough guess at weekly shipment sizes by looking at the Steam Deck's relative position on the top sellers chart on store.steampowered.com.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

early on, you could tell your direct position in queue and therefore at least how many must have been sold through the steam website's api or whatever but they changed it after people noticed

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Aside from checking each game through Steam's store pages, I wish there was an easy way to know if games in cheap third-party bundles were Steam Deck compatible because there have been some great deals recently. I guess I could also check ProtonDB in case the game is still untested on Deck, but that's not necessarily guaranteed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Will Valve start adding the Steam Deck to it's Hardware Surveys? I guess maybe that would be one way to check to see how many are in the wild if they do?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

sigher posted:

Will Valve start adding the Steam Deck to it's Hardware Surveys? I guess maybe that would be one way to check to see how many are in the wild if they do?

Honestly Steam knows if it's on a Deck, that probably just gets included in their telemetry.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Kwolok posted:

In the US, how long did it take for users to get their deck after the first wave?

I confirmed mine on the 25th of February and it came today.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Given that its got a unique processor, everything that collects such hw info knows.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
So 2 days after paying for the Steam Deck, I've gotten the tracking information from Valve.

Sadly not coming up on the tracker yet, but there might be a chance of getting it later this week or early next week.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW, obviously it's for a good cause, too, but if you want like a bazillion games for your new Steam Deck, consider getting in on this bundle:
https://itch.io/b/1316/bundle-for-ukraine

There's a guide on YouTube for setting up itch.io games, plus a lot of them have Linux ports anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQGjUuw8_A

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

PowerBeard posted:

So 2 days after paying for the Steam Deck, I've gotten the tracking information from Valve.

Sadly not coming up on the tracker yet, but there might be a chance of getting it later this week or early next week.

Did they email you this, or is it in your Steam profile somewhere? I haven’t gotten my shipping notification yet.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

JazzFlight posted:

BTW, obviously it's for a good cause, too, but if you want like a bazillion games for your new Steam Deck, consider getting in on this bundle:
https://itch.io/b/1316/bundle-for-ukraine

There's a guide on YouTube for setting up itch.io games, plus a lot of them have Linux ports anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQGjUuw8_A

What are some highlights from the bundle? I dunno what's hot garbage and not but so far I'm at least downloading these:

Superhot
Baba is you
Celeste
Crosscode

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SkateBIRD. You’re a bird.

That skates.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
There's a thread where people have been sharing opinions on games from this and the previous bundles: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926987

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

What are some highlights from the bundle?

Lucifer Within Us is a pretty unique and very stylish mystery/detective type game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Did they email you this, or is it in your Steam profile somewhere? I haven’t gotten my shipping notification yet.

Ended up getting a shipping notification in email today and it linked to my Steam Account Details fwiw. This just means they've printed the label but it should probably get picked up by FedEx today and then I'll be able to see if it's two day or three day.

Probably will be three day because next Monday is the only day I'll be out of the house for the next two weeks :v:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anyone in the UK received theirs yet? I'm wondering how fast UK shipping is. Mostly because we now have to go into the office on Thursdays and I'm worried that it could show up on a day I'm not in.
Any other day I'm going to be home.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

For US, seems to ship out of Chicago. It was a few days for me between paying and getting a shipping confirm.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

What are some highlights from the bundle? I dunno what's hot garbage and not but so far I'm at least downloading these:

Superhot
Baba is you
Celeste
Crosscode
Focusing on games meant for controllers: Bleed 1 & 2 (Treasure-style action), Wandersong (story platformer), Minit (action-puzzle), Sky Rogue (dogfighting), ZeroRanger (shmup), Lenna's Inception (zelda-like), Toree 3D 1 & 2 (3d platformers), Ynglet (platformer), A Short Hike (tiny open area game), Batbarian (metroidvania)

Those are just solid, high quality games. If you want decent games that aren't necessarily in the zeitgeist, there's Xenogunner (Treasure-style game), Inmost (spooky platformer), Pipe Push Paradise (puzzle), Sagebrush (walking sim), Grapple Force Rena (platformer), Shipwreck (zelda-like), forma.8 (metroidvania), double cross (platformer)

I'd check to see if they have native linux ports, then check the proton compatibility site, because there's no way a lot of these have been tested by Valve yet (Valve's pretty much starting from top to bottom on popularity, and recent to least recent). Or you can just try playing 'em and see if they run :shrug:

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 9, 2022

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

Ended up getting a shipping notification in email today and it linked to my Steam Account Details fwiw. This just means they've printed the label but it should probably get picked up by FedEx today and then I'll be able to see if it's two day or three day.

Probably will be three day because next Monday is the only day I'll be out of the house for the next two weeks :v:

Yeah, it was email and account link as you said. It has updated to say it is leaving the Netherlands...

gently caress

At the moment, we have two storm warnings coming in back to back, so good luck to any transport or shipping not getting delayed.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

My shipping information updated, looks like it is due to get here on Friday, which means they're sending them out in the US as two-day shipping, so that's nice. Not gonna turn the thread into my personal shipping update center, but I had no idea how Valve was sending these out, so just tryna inform how they're doing it.

Also checking Reddit it looks like Valve isn't requiring signatures on these, which is kind of odd because FedEx is supposed to have Direct Signature Required on anything over $500. I guess Valve doesn't want these things sitting in shipping centers or being sent back to them, so, be prepared for yours to be left on your porch.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 9, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Mine won't get here till tuesday :sob:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They're probably using the cheapest shipping option, so it'll get to you faster if you're close to a large distribution center.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So hilariously, elden ring when played on the deck (or on steamOS) eliminates the performance stutter it otherwise has.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If Steams database has cached shaders for your GPU/driver combo, yeah

That's a given on the homogenous Steam Deck hardware but YMMV on other hardware

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

repiv posted:

If Steams database has cached shaders for your GPU/driver combo, yeah

That's a given on the homogenous Steam Deck hardware but YMMV on other hardware

Steam caches the high-level pipeline objects, when you install a game it downloads the shaders first and starts compiling them for your GPU while it downloads the actual game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Oh that's even better

Even better still would be if Fromsoft compiled their shaders ahead of time like you're supposed to, but Fromsoft gonna Fromsoft

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

repiv posted:

Oh that's even better

Even better still would be if Fromsoft compiled their shaders ahead of time like you're supposed to, but Fromsoft gonna Fromsoft
They can't exactly do that because shaders have to run be able to run on different incompatible GPUs, even GPUs that may not exist yet.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

By compile ahead of time I mean compile at runtime but before the shader is required, which is how any competent VK/DX12 renderer works

Elden Ring just sits on its rear end until the first time the shader is needed, then panics and compiles it right there and then causing the stutters

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Oh, yeah, that would be nice. Although it takes literally like 30-45 minutes before I can play Call of Duty the first time I start it because of compiling shaders so I can see why FROM would want to avoid that scenario as well. Is it definitively confirmed that shader compilation is the cause of the stutters? I had to refund it on Steam because it was unplayable, and it was stuttering in the same spot every time for like 5-6 seconds at a time, and you would think that it would have the shaders used in that area cached by the fourth or fifth time.

edit: to be clear I don't have a Steam Deck, but was getting the stuttering issues on my PC. I guess it could have been different from the Steam Deck stutter issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This shader thing makes me wonder if all non-Steam games will have possible performance issues. Like, I was happy it looked like I could run my free Epic store (or other company's) games on the Steam Deck, but annoyingly they won't have the same support that native Steam versions will have.