Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Achievent stats put it at somewhere between 3% (PSN) to 7% (Steam) of players who have completed last wish, though there's obviously the fact that it currently awards no powerfuls or lore so there's no real reason for f2p players to attempt it.

D1 however has a 'complete any raid' achievement which is at about 20% of players, and that includes Crota; a notoriously short, relatively easy raid which has been variously completed solo, blinfolded and with a rock band drum controller. It's very easy to carry multiple people though it without them having to learn the mechanics other than 'stand here and shoot mans.' It's also very easy to get to max light thanks to the ongoing age of triumph, which makes it much easier to survive raids.

Either way, that's 80% of the playerbase who've never completed any raid in the Destiny franchise, and that's going by the most forgiving interpretation of the stat.

I would love to see more in-depth stats about raids that filter for things like this. The post upthread about the raid stats site that puts it at 11% was really interesting, but like you say, how does that track for people who installed but never played, or who bounced after the first mission? How many tried the raid but never completed it, how many never tried, and how many are skewing the stats by glitching to free chests? Or even then, how many completed a raid and then never went back?

Like I said before, that same resource shows that 21% of tracked players have beat the Taken King Campaign, so campaign mode = raids in popularity, by this metric

Achievement trackers use way too high a denominator to give any accurate data.

Per Warmind, we've got close to that many people playing raids right this very moment

And over the course of the day it was certainly much, much higher. Note that Crucible was only 8% of active population, but over the course of the whole day, 63% of players engaged with it! Wouldn't be crazy if the 16% of currently-raiding-players suggested that many more raided at some point over the day.

Everyone is going to view how they personally play Destiny as the average, normal way to play, so of course I have my bias here as a Crucible-playing, Raid-clearing Conqueror, but all signs point to active players (aka Bungie's customers) relying on outside resources and playing non-matchmade activities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

I gotta say I don’t think I’ve ever seen this happen, but it could also be it goes right over my head because I’ve used dim for years.
Azetecross and Fallout both did so in their Witch Queen Prep videos.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, I would've guessed that the venn diagram of people who prep for a new expansion, watch Destiny youtubers, and use DIM is a perfect circle.

Maybe they were trying to pull people away from Ishtar and the official companion app?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I gotta say I don’t think I’ve ever seen this happen, but it could also be it goes right over my head because I’ve used dim for years.

https://twitter.com/thisisdim/status/1489056368996896770?s=21

DIM themselves only estimate 25% of the player base use their manager.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I have never touched DIM (and of course now that I do it's down for maintenace).

Probably helped by never watching a destiny video. I have only played D2 for around 300 hours though, I'm pretty casual.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

People who don't raid don't stick around as long!
Right, but i'd argue that's a failing from Bungie, if players who are more comfortable with casual content are getting up to a certain point and then bouncing instead of having rolling endgame content that they can do.

I'm making a huge assumption there that it's the the complexity of the mechanics / difficulty that causes them to leave, but I don't think that's unreasonable as an asumption.

life_source posted:

they couldn't even if they wanted to
That's got to be another thing skewing it, that 'Destiny 2' as a statistical pool goes back to when it was $60 and you got the raid included in that, to now where you have f2p players who literally cannot raid and are happy just bouncing round playlists.

I've mentioned my wife is currently starting playing and honestly she's having a great time just doing bounties. I keep trying to get her to do the campaigns but honestly because it's all new, the strikes and patrols seem to be the thing that hits the right balance for her right now. It's really interesting to me as a veteran with terminal pinnacle brain.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Right, but i'd argue that's a failing from Bungie, if players who are more comfortable with casual content are getting up to a certain point and then bouncing instead of having rolling endgame content that they can do.

I'm making a huge assumption there that it's the the complexity of the mechanics / difficulty that causes them to leave, but I don't think that's unreasonable as an asumption.

For sure, that's reasonable, but I would guess that it's the "no matchmaking" that filters Raids from being a 100% Participation activity (everyone who plays does a Raid). The complexity of mechanics is probably why Raids aren't a 100% Completion activity (everyone who starts a Raid finishes the Raid, like Strikes)

And that's a good point that's it's a failing from Bungie. They are notoriously uninterested in catering to solo players

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Iirc like, 15 percent ish of people who had a trophy for entering the dreaming city had the trophy for last wish. Wish isn't the easiest raid but that's still pretty small, and entering the city is one of the better filters you can have for "booting up the game once".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are lots of very difficult/complex solo activities.

The barrier is LITERALLY “do I have 5 friends who all play Destiny? Do they Raid?” if the answer to either of those is no, then it becomes:
“How do I find a clan”
“How do I make friends”
“Can I handle sitting in vent with 5 strangers for 2-4 hours in an increasingly complicated and/or frustrated environment”

I’m not trying to sound ableist here at all so apologies but f it comes off that way, but “being social” is a complete non issue for some, as effortless and mindless as washing one’s hands. For others, perhaps for the kind of person who wants to spend hours in their imaginary spaceman game playing by themselves with ghosts on the moon, 5 people might be the largest group dynamic that person LITERALLY EVER forces themselves to experience.

I’m the former, I would hang out in vent or discord all day just vibing with homies, even if our activities were chill and didn’t need coms. DeathBurger420 isn’t just my clan mate, he’s my homie and we’re bros.

But Destiny 2 is probably made up of the latter, people for whom social gaming is not easy and requires significant mental and emotional resources, and for those people the hard part of raiding is having to talk and listen and communicate and apologize and explain, not “don’t stand in it OK NOW STAND IN IT” puzzle mechanics

imweasel09 posted:

Iirc like, 15 percent ish of people who had a trophy for entering the dreaming city had the trophy for last wish. Wish isn't the easiest raid but that's still pretty small, and entering the city is one of the better filters you can have for "booting up the game once".

Do you get the achievements if someone skips you to Riven with the Wish Wall?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

For sure, that's reasonable, but I would guess that it's the "no matchmaking" that filters Raids from being a 100% Participation activity (everyone who plays does a Raid). The complexity of mechanics is probably why Raids aren't a 100% Completion activity (everyone who starts a Raid finishes the Raid, like Strikes)

And that's a good point that's it's a failing from Bungie. They are notoriously uninterested in catering to solo players

Pretty much. I did serious raiding in everquest, I did it in Wow. I'm old and tired and just want to peg cabal in their stupid fat faces. Make a pickup difficulty version of the raid with rare drops and I'd run it.

Using Light.gg did get me to use better guns at least. Before that I pretty much would only run he medium nightfalls with Ticcu's

Also prior to witch queen I thought Power level drops were based on what you were wearing. So I'd just use whatever was the highest level and boost it just enough with the cheap crap to put a +10 stat and some 1 point mods on 'em. whoops

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 8, 2022

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

There are lots of very difficult/complex solo activities.

The barrier is LITERALLY “do I have 5 friends who all play Destiny? Do they Raid?” if the answer to either of those is no, then it becomes:
“How do I find a clan”
“How do I make friends”
“Can I handle sitting in vent with 5 strangers for 2-4 hours in an increasingly complicated and/or frustrated environment”

I’m not trying to sound ableist here at all so apologies but f it comes off that way, but “being social” is a complete non issue for some, as effortless and mindless as washing one’s hands. For others, perhaps for the kind of person who wants to spend hours in their imaginary spaceman game playing by themselves with ghosts on the moon, 5 people might be the largest group dynamic that person LITERALLY EVER forces themselves to experience.

I’m the former, I would hang out in vent or discord all day just vibing with homies, even if our activities were chill and didn’t need coms. DeathBurger420 isn’t just my clan mate, he’s my homie and we’re bros.

But Destiny 2 is probably made up of the latter, people for whom social gaming is not easy and requires significant mental and emotional resources, and for those people the hard part of raiding is having to talk and listen and communicate and apologize and explain, not “don’t stand in it OK NOW STAND IN IT” puzzle mechanics

Do you get the achievements if someone skips you to Riven with the Wish Wall?

Afaik the trophy is tied to finishing queenswalk and nothing else.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'll tell ya something that 100% of Guardians care about

Happy Weekly Reset, everybody!!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm hoping that Preservation gives them data that shows that casuals want to be involved in the raid content somehow, even if it's just a story mission being sent in as a cleanup crew afterwards. Like when they added matchmaking to the lowest two nightfall difficulties and suddenly engagement shot up.

I think there is interest from casuals in engaging with that content somehow, even if it means getting the rewards at a slower pace (which to me seems like it would help long term engagement). As was said though, everyone assumes that their way of playing is the 'normal' way so my perspective is probably skewed. It would be nice to have clear, unambiguous data from Bungie's servers though.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, I'm one of the players who would love to play through all the raids, only for the story completion, but with a full time job and a family it's hard to get enough time for that. Give me Baby's First Strike difficulty with Matchmaking and I'd be happy.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Getting a regular group of people is the best way to do raids, but between adult responsibilities and waning interest, it's hard to keep them going. That is really the biggest barrier.

I also think that the basics of some raid mechanics should be introduced in other parts of the game. Having to watch YouTube walkthroughs as homework feels bad, and learning when 5 other people are there watching and depending on you can be intimidating.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I love my little Striga.

And he's always… so… hungry.

//CASE 620102; SUSPECT IDENT JANA-14; STATUS: AT LARGE
//EVIDENCE IDENT #303, AUDIO DEVICE; RECOVERED ADJACENT TO DISMEMBERED BODY, RIBS EXCISED

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I can’t envision how you would change a lot of raid encounters to be the Baby’s First version of the encounter without simply turning it into something else entirely. how would you make a simpler version of the fourth encounter of last wish that still accurately uses the same mechanics of the encounter and teaches you how to do it without just throwing long sentences of text on everyone’s screen telling them what to do?

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 8, 2022

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol this is still hosed up? Come the hell on Bungie.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

life_source posted:

they couldn't even if they wanted to

Isn't VoG available for FTP?

It's not a particularly good raid, but it is a raid.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I can’t envision how you would change a lot of raid encounters to be the Baby’s First version of the encounter without simply turning it into something else entirely. how would you make a simpler version of vault that still accurately uses the same mechanics of the encounter and teaches you how to do it without just throwing long sentences of text on everyone’s screen telling them what to do?

Removing the wipe checks would be a start. Then you can adjust the Simon says / oracles to either be simpler and maybe make the cleanse / darkness be a rebuff that dims instead of completely covering the screen.

So you’re still doing all VoG asks you to do, you just dial town in the failure tolerances.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

By vault, I meant the fourth encounter of last wish, I should have been clearer

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Removing the wipe checks would be a start. Then you can adjust the Simon says / oracles to either be simpler and maybe make the cleanse / darkness be a rebuff that dims instead of completely covering the screen.

So you’re still doing all VoG asks you to do, you just dial town in the failure tolerances.

Yeah, and this is really the difference between Contest Mode and normal raids, too; failure tolerance. It could be done.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You want to talk failure intolerance, in D1 the raid hard modes did not allow revives at all.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I can’t envision how you would change a lot of raid encounters to be the Baby’s First version of the encounter without simply turning it into something else entirely. how would you make a simpler version of vault that still accurately uses the same mechanics of the encounter and teaches you how to do it without just throwing long sentences of text on everyone’s screen telling them what to do?

There needs to be a solo mission where a projection of savathun calls you a dumbass if you can't enter "love worm knowledge" (and other combos) in the lore/wishwall bit of VoD instead of the stupid teaser "not exo challenge" mission we got. give guardians an opportunity to learn to read before throwing them onto a curmudgeonly raid team that will just chew them out for not memorizing them all on day one (like me :smugdog:)

EDIT: not a vog rec but I feel like it's a mistake for people to only learn the symbol calls in the raid itself where tensions are high instead of a low stress activity where babby guardian learns to read. the hard part about doing vog for the first time is that a lot of people will say "you just need to count" but the thing you actually have to do is know the physical location of oracle spawns which is actually sorta hard to do on the fly because you see them for maybe a minute or 2 per run (and if chance is not in your favor you won't see some oracle spawns at all). the best way to learn any of it is probably on day 1 when everyone is ignorant but that's a lovely option to force all players into. have raid sherpas/youtubes teach everyone everything about a raid is (yet another) lazy move by bungie when they could be creating seasonal activities that teach raid mechanics before a new raider pisses off their team

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 8, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

It's not ableist (I mean technically probably, but certainly not hatefully so), I have one of said social disabilities and I accept I am in a huge minority. It'd be hard for bungie to cater to what I want from the game and end up with a game that had a sales base larger than just me and two other people.

I'm not talking about my problems specifically, mostly because it seems to really piss one or two people off doing so. I could explain at length about processing loop delay, how stress reduces my functioning cognitive capacity, RSD and how it affects executive functioning over much greater periods, and I'd still get the same guy telling me to just be social. As a side issue my hands are hosed, so extended play and high-intensity play are not options without the opportunity to take regular breaks, so I quite often gently caress up holding a point, or not dying under heavy fire, especially since the CWL orb/protective light build got nerfed.

But the problems with content aren't about difficulty, so much as accessibility.

The issue with difficulty is weird because it kind of loops round on itself. A lot of the content is difficult, and a lot of you have been playing for so long that you forget how much - watching my wife learn the ropes, I realised how much better than her I currently am, and yet I would say I am easily one of the least capable players in this thread.

The fireteam app counteracts that somewhat, although the new balancing that scales enemy health / damage off fireteam size has negated the benefits a little. Being in a group is mostly a benefit in terms of darkness zones where other players can rez you or just go hide and wait out the timer, instead of solo players having to just restart the entire encounter.

The raids and some of the dungeons have mechanics that require coordination though, which is a seperate issue to difficulty. In the new symbol room, it isn't possible for one player to make it to all the symbols in time no matter how good they are (though you can currently glitch it solo by doing 3 then 1 for some reason). Most raid mechanics require every player to be doing a particular role (sometimes enforced by teleport or random debuff so you can't choose), and if one player fluffs it, everyone dies.

There is no way with my processing delay that I'm going to remember what the word associated with a symbol is, and call it out or go looking for it in the middle of a shitshow. My language skills are not great under pressure. Most of my attempts at last wish ended with 'poo poo, sorry, where? Oh. It's... uh, bird, flying down. No not across, down sort of to the... Ah gently caress, sorry guys."

But there are a ton of other reasons - There are mute players, trans players, and deaf players who can't use voice at all. There are also older players with kids or thin walls who don't want to be shouting Mars and Venus at 2 am, the only time they can fit in a game. Not everyone can do voice. Someone mentioned last page it's been a year since they've had time to organise a raid. Or hell, I spent half an hour trying to get a Grasp group together last night. I only had 2 hours or so to play and I spent a quarter of it staring at my phone. And I knew about the app. Not everyone finds a group or knows where to look.

I'm not saying that this means these challenges should be removed from the raid. Like I say I've come to understand Bungie can't create challenging content that takes everyone'a needs into account. And enough players enjoy the challenge that the harder modes shouldn't be nerfed.

It'd just suck so much less if there was any way to engage with that content on a more accessible footing. Combine this with the 80% statistic and clearly there's a problem here. Not just for disabled players, which is where I primarily look at it from, but for a huge proportion of players for various reasons. It's not that we want to play it on hard, we just want to play it.

If you look at something like Call of Duty the stats would show than less than 10% of people completed the campaign on the highest difficulty. But the campaign has lower difficulty settings it can be completed on. The argument that only a minority of players finish challenging difficulties (and that that's good) kind of loses its steam when Destiny has content that can only be accessed with that degree of challenge in place.

This is a good article on the difference between difficulty and accessibility in games. There are a lot of players who do not engage with content not because it's hard, but because it's the wrong kind of challenge for them.

I spent ages carefully soloing Preservation and loved every second of it. The moment I saw the first timer in Vox I noped out, found a group in the app and just prayed that there were no communication mechanics. The final Parasite mission is particularly insane solo - multiple instakills mechanics and enemies everywhere while you can't even shoot because you're holding a bomb, but if you have even one other person they can shoot the enemies trying to get near you.

As a side note, I will always find it crazy that there are so many activities and exotic missions designed to be played with a group which have no matchmaking and no warning that you're not supposed to do it solo. I mean it's good that you can as a challenge, but it shouldn't look like the default option.

As far as how you make the raid easier, just make it a mission like Preservation, or Paradox & Last Rites from D1. Change the boss rooms so they're just full of enemies and drop a yellow bar at the end. Give one chest with a powerful at the end instead. It doesn't have to be 'raid but easy' in the sense of being the raid exactly, it could have reworded voice lines, different encounters - just as long as it gives casuals enough of a sense of what's going on.

And that's the weird thing about raids is that IMHO a lot of people want to get into that kind of content, they just can't for a variety of reasons.

E: for clarity.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 8, 2022

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Coldforge posted:

Isn't VoG available for FTP?

It's not a particularly good raid, but it is a raid.

Yeah, but the quote was about Last Wish specifically so I just wanted to correct and inform.

Matchmade raids would be terrible. Have any of you ever just stood back and watched your two randoms in strikes? People in this game are brutally moronic individuals. Just unbelievably brainless subhumans. Unloading multiple rounds of heavy into the enemy that says Immune, throwing ball mechanics at red bars, attempting to revive in the middle of a pool of fire and dying. It's infuriating.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Matchmade raids would be bad with how Destiny is right now, I don't think anyone is arguing that.

But FFXIV has engaging matchmade raid content, so Bungie has room to up their game.

Also, put the fireteam finder in game FFS.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The light level for the Dead Messenger catalyst is 1580 :smith:.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mesadoram posted:

The light level for the Dead Messenger catalyst is 1580 :smith:.

That’s pretty typical for a mission like that and it’s also typical to not be ready for it in week 3 of a season. You have until the end of May to do it before the next power reset, and until next February before it’s removed from the game

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/1501258882877853697?s=20&t=EmCHjCRCPNMlJTIaStaSzg

Apparently people were getting quadruple XP

Also rumors that the Master Vox/catalyst wasn't supposed to be active yet

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I can’t envision how you would change a lot of raid encounters to be the Baby’s First version of the encounter without simply turning it into something else entirely. how would you make a simpler version of the fourth encounter of last wish that still accurately uses the same mechanics of the encounter and teaches you how to do it without just throwing long sentences of text on everyone’s screen telling them what to do?

Going to armchain design but I can think up a few ways for the Riven fight:

- Picking up the taken orb, you can see the symbols in the arena; no need to coordinate with a guy calling out "bird down" now you just match the symbol you see.

- The eyes you need to shoot glow when Riven starts the party wipe

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

SgtSteel91 posted:

Going to armchain design but I can think up a few ways for the Riven fight:

- Picking up the taken orb, you can see the symbols in the arena; no need to coordinate with a guy calling out "bird down" now you just match the symbol you see.

- The eyes you need to shoot glow when Riven starts the party wipe

Or they could put a marker in the cheese spot so you can skip that poo poo entirely

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I want to thank the people talking about how good DIM and Light.gg are, because the OP didn't really call out to me how good these two resources are. DarkHorse's write up was very helpful, though!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've mentioned my wife is currently starting playing and honestly she's having a great time just doing bounties. I keep trying to get her to do the campaigns but honestly because it's all new, the strikes and patrols seem to be the thing that hits the right balance for her right now. It's really interesting to me as a veteran with terminal pinnacle brain.

This here is the type of player I am right now, I am doing the Witch Queen campaign very lightly and when I log on it's mostly to shoot some bounties while doing public quests and maybe a lost sector or two. The game's new user experience is very much improved from when I tried the game a couple years back and now actually properly explains what to do and where to go to do things that are interesting.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I think Bungie is onto something with the Preservation Mission, giving solo or people who can't raid a way to experience it.

Maybe in the future they can turn it into a Dungeon: with three people or solo (if you're a bad enough Guardian) you run a modified version of the raid with three encounters that drop the raid gear. Maybe a trade-off/way to entire people to running the raid can be that you can't buy raid gear at the end like you can in the raid itself.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
This is pretty cool, from one of the Parasite artists:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2qyqnJ

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

they should make a pit of heresy style dungeon but with darkness/VoD glyphs instead of hive glyphs

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Marzzle posted:

There needs to be a solo mission where a projection of savathun calls you a dumbass if you can't enter "love worm knowledge" (and other combos) in the lore/wishwall bit of VoD instead of the stupid teaser "not exo challenge" mission we got. give guardians an opportunity to learn to read before throwing them onto a curmudgeonly raid team that will just chew them out for not memorizing them all on day one (like me :smugdog:)

EDIT: not a vog rec but I feel like it's a mistake for people to only learn the symbol calls in the raid itself where tensions are high instead of a low stress activity where babby guardian learns to read. the hard part about doing vog for the first time is that a lot of people will say "you just need to count" but the thing you actually have to do is know the physical location of oracle spawns which is actually sorta hard to do on the fly because you see them for maybe a minute or 2 per run (and if chance is not in your favor you won't see some oracle spawns at all). the best way to learn any of it is probably on day 1 when everyone is ignorant but that's a lovely option to force all players into. have raid sherpas/youtubes teach everyone everything about a raid is (yet another) lazy move by bungie when they could be creating seasonal activities that teach raid mechanics before a new raider pisses off their team

I thought Expunge did this quite well - you used the same map but took different paths and introduced new mechanics each time through, so you only had to focus on learning the new stuff. By the time you did Quria you had done all the mechanics and put them together for the boss fight.

Maybe have a raid be made up of several Nightfall-style strikes or Dungeons, and you have to complete them before you can try the raid?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Marzzle posted:

they should make a pit of heresy style dungeon but with darkness/VoD glyphs instead of hive glyphs

We get two Dungeons this year!

I suspect one will be Mars/Rasputiny given the story threads

A Pyramid dungeon would be cool too, and lore-wise, the Pyramid is still a hotbed of activity even after Rhulk's untimely departure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Potsticker posted:

I want to thank the people talking about how good DIM and Light.gg are, because the OP didn't really call out to me how good these two resources are. DarkHorse's write up was very helpful, though!

Aww thank you! I'm glad to know it helped (and to Bust Rodd for giving me credit!), feel free to give suggestions for how I could make it better for newbies (says the guy that's only been playing since September)

Would a detailed guide on using DIM be useful? If so I can try to write one up