Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Free Guy is also s movie with weird pacing. There's a point where he forget who he is. Then he kiss a woman and remembers agsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also the movie is all about doing original things, now here is an extended sequence that is just referencing other franchises.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cowslips Warren posted:

When was the last good non animated Batman movie?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" is a better line than anything Heath Ledger said in all of Dark Knight or indeed at all

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Ryan Reynolds appearing in a movie usually annoys me. Because he just plays a variation of Ryan fuckin Reynolds and if you're not on board with that, you're going to have a bad time.

I thought Free Guy was released months ago?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

credburn posted:

I thought Free Guy was released months ago?

It was, for $$$. It just hit Disney+ streaming a week or two ago.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Heath Ledger's best performance was in 10 Things I Hate About You.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Heath Ledger's best performance was in 10 Things I Hate About You.

A Knight's Tale :colbert:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arrath posted:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Arrath posted:

:hai:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Also the movie is all about doing original things, now here is an extended sequence that is just referencing other franchises.

All this griping, you'd think the movie was called Expensive Guy

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
10 Things is really good though.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Arrath posted:

The dancing scene is one of the most toe-curling and awkward things I've ever seen. I know that's the point, but it's painful for me to even think about.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Knights Tale and 10 Things are both awful :mad:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Baron von Eevl posted:

10 Things is really good though.

Ol bill Shakespeare knew what he was doing

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

credburn posted:

Knights Tale and 10 Things are both awful :mad:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A Knight's Tale is great because not only Heath Ledger's fine performance, but ol' Allen Two-Dicks, Mark "King Robert Baratheon" Addy, and Paul "My first job in the MCU was an off-screen voice and then I got suckered into hours and hours of makeup a day to play a real part" Bettany.

Oh, and Laura "gently caress you, Lydia, you piece of poo poo, I'm glad Walt gave you Ricin poisoning, you're a murdering psychopath who's no better than Walt or those Nazi fucks" Fraser.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

One actually IIMM in this otherwise flawless movie - when the evil Sir Ademar is preparing his secret murder-lances (the tip is made of spun sugar and boot-black, hiding a sharp wooden point inside) , the servant girl explaining it to him clearly isn't a native English speaker, and puts the emphasis too hard and in the wrong place. So she delivers the line like:

"it's nothing

But spun sugar and Boot-Black"

That sentence does not need a dramatic pause!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arrath posted:

No one's best performance was in a Knight's Tale. A movie so bland that not even Tudyk can be bothered to give a gently caress.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

One actually IIMM in this otherwise flawless movie - when the evil Sir Ademar is preparing his secret murder-lances (the tip is made of spun sugar and boot-black, hiding a sharp wooden point inside) , the servant girl explaining it to him clearly isn't a native English speaker, and puts the emphasis too hard and in the wrong place. So she delivers the line like:

"it's nothing

And then he crushes it with his hand to demonstrate what she's talking about. That must of been hours of work to make that thing and he just destroys it. I wonder how many extras she made.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Alhazred posted:

No one's best performance was in a Knight's Tale. A movie so bland that not even Tudyk can be bothered to give a gently caress.

Well you're the first person I've ever heard call it 'bland'

I saw Tudyk at a convention one time and he was really cheerful and enthusiastic talking about the movie, despite it being several years old at the time.

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"it's nothing

The Mountain in throne games does a similar thing when killing the mandalorian.

"I SMASHED HER HEAD

IN LIKE THIS"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

HopperUK posted:

Well you're the first person I've ever heard call it 'bland'

I saw Tudyk at a convention one time and he was really cheerful and enthusiastic talking about the movie, despite it being several years old at the time.

I like the bit where Bettany's Chaucer gives this whole speech right before a duel and no one responds until Mark Addy starts clapping and then everyone starts clapping and cheering. And I like it even more that it turned out none of the extras in the crowd spoke English and actually legitimately didn't understand what Bettany was saying or that it was it was a cue until Mark Addy started cheering.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cryte Lynn posted:

The Mountain in throne games does a similar thing when killing the mandalorian.

"I SMASHED HER HEAD

IN LIKE THIS"

Eh, I'd cut him some slack, he'd just been slashed a half dozen times by a poison spear.

But yeah, they cast the third and final Mountain actor for his size, not acting ability...and also I think the first Mountain actor who was in one whole scene in the first season and had one line?
And the second actor was in more scenes, but still didn't have a lot of lines, but wasn't "hefty" enough to play the part, really...just tall.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
My favourite part of Knight's Tale is when he finds out that the Black Prince is his opponent, so they go to forfeit and you can see the black prince's face just drop, and then Ledger decides to charge in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfvQo3gpuLE

Just got the feels, I dunno.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DrBouvenstein posted:

Eh, I'd cut him some slack, he'd just been slashed a half dozen times by a poison spear.

But yeah, they cast the third and final Mountain actor for his size, not acting ability...and also I think the first Mountain actor who was in one whole scene in the first season and had one line?
And the second actor was in more scenes, but still didn't have a lot of lines, but wasn't "hefty" enough to play the part, really...just tall.

I'm going to go ahead and say discussing which actors that played a character doesn't really count as spoilers.

Anyway Halfthor was big but was like 20 and looked it. They also shot him from way below so he looked like a fairly normal "imposing" guy. The first actor was probably the best match overall, he was large and intimidating but also pulled off the grizzled thing well and didn't look like a kid. I'm not sure they even referred to the character by name when it was the second actor, and since he looked and acted nothing like the previous one a lot of people didn't realize he was supposed to be the same guy.

I think with the first actor he left to play the main orc in The Hobbit but then got CGed over anyway, and D&D wouldn't rehire him presumably because they are petty like that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Free Guy: I really can't take Taika Waititi as a bad person at face value. He's just too nice! Even when he plays Hitler.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think with the first actor he left to play the main orc in The Hobbit but then got CGed over anyway, and D&D wouldn't rehire him presumably because they are petty like that.

I think that was Manu Bennett from Spartacus. An equally beefy, but shorter actor.

I'd heard rumors they got rid of the S1 Mountain because he kept pushing for more screen time and trying to insert his own tragic backstory and soliloquies for the character. No clue if it's true, but it's funny as hell.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Skrill.exe posted:

I think that was Manu Bennett from Spartacus. An equally beefy, but shorter actor.

I'd heard rumors they got rid of the S1 Mountain because he kept pushing for more screen time and trying to insert his own tragic backstory and soliloquies for the character. No clue if it's true, but it's funny as hell.

They were both in it, actually. Manu Bennet played Azog the defiler, and Conan Stevens (S1 mountain) played his son, Bolg.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Skrill.exe posted:

"Mountain only pawn, in game of life."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I watched The Worst Person in the World yesterday and it's difficult to take arguments seriously when they're in Norwegian. Just a goofy sounding language.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I don't really consider this a spoiler, but I'll use the tags regardless. Somehow they made a Batman movie (which was surprisingly good) where he doesn't throw a batarang. Like, at all. He does use it but like, that's where the "rang" part comes from in the name. He throws em at people like a boomerang.

Just... :psyduck:

Still, like I said, surprisingly decent movie. Pattinson did a pretty great job.

Only real IIMM for me was when he was spying on Selina, the shot from inside her apartment had him looking like he was 6 foot from her window instead of across the street. Just looked weird, and she should have noticed him.

Plus there's a scene where he's watching and listening to someone explain something and he's got this weird Forest Whittaker eye going on.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Henchman of Santa posted:

I watched The Worst Person in the World yesterday
For how long until you turned on your monitor?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That Italian Guy posted:

Free Guy: I really can't take Taika Waititi as a bad person at face value. He's just too nice! Even when he plays Hitler.

I need to rewatch Jojo Rabbit again. Such a good flick.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I read somewhere that people are pissed about The Boy in the Striped Pajamas because it shows the Nazi family as victims, and bits about how kids were never allowed to wander off in the camps, etc. But the movie never claims to be a true story, any more than Jojo Rabbit does, so has Jojo been hit by the same stuff?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cowslips Warren posted:

I read somewhere that people are pissed about The Boy in the Striped Pajamas because it shows the Nazi family as victims, and bits about how kids were never allowed to wander off in the camps, etc. But the movie never claims to be a true story, any more than Jojo Rabbit does, so has Jojo been hit by the same stuff?

I think anyone with half a brain can make click-bait from that. Same with Hunters and the chess scene.

You can make hyperbolic poo poo that fictionalizes the holocaust* or sympathize like in The Book Thief (read but not watched). I haven't seen TBitSP because that seems a little rough.

I saw Schindler's List when I was pretty young and don't really want to revisit that for entertainment purposes. :shrug:

*Tarantino apparently gets a pass because he's black

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Non-irritated moment.

World on Fire.

Good old, rocksteady Helen Hunt trying to get word back to the patriotic states of America and freedom that things are not good in Poland.

Sure it's irrelevant today, the fear that PoC and queers and everyone that doesn't live up to the standards of Hitler's America Germany is in fear of their lives, but the costumes, subterfuge and fireteam technique is still applicable.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Here's a piece from The Holocaust Exhibition and Learning Centre explaining the problems with The Boy in the Striped Pajamas:

https://holocaustlearning.org.uk/latest/the-problem-with-the-boy-in-the-striped-pyjamas/

I haven't seen Jojo Rabbit, but I do remember some critics thinking that it was hugely misguided.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's in part a matter of perspective and how the Jewish characters are treated. Jojo Rabbit makes a point of fleshing out Elsa's character, and she's the one who generally shows agency and moves the story forward. While the viewer sees things through Jojo's perspective, it is her story as much as it's Jojo's. In the movie's ending, her liberation is the defining key moment.

TBitSP meanwhile reduces the titular boy to barely more than a prop. Shmuel exists pretty much only to tell Bruno (the Nazi soldier's son) about stuff. The end is about Bruno sneaking into the camp, Bruno being killed, then Bruno's parents being sad about it. It's a Holocaust story that treats Jewish people as a sideshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arrath posted:

Home and Away.