Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Flower posted:

not counting the last rando but im begging people who've decided to post in here more than once to actually engage with the the thread or watch an anime that aired after k-on instead of just making 10 posts about vtubers and 1 about 'tenacious d is anime' or whatever. otherwise why are you here

i feel slightly seen here but the truth is while I like anime it's not an actual hobby for me the way gaming is so i don't care to talk about it unless I just finished watching or reading something. i have the josei thread bookmarked though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

The protagonist spends 200 chapters growing with the second love interest just to end up getting with the love interest from the first volume in the space of about 5 chapters. I didn't look it up but I'm convinced it was serialized and got suddenly canceled lol. The ending is a little rushed but it's fine, I guess, it's a happy ending for the characters but it's kind of like. Narratively whack, I guess.

i love it when this happens, i feel like all the authors get together in one big room somewhere to make sure it does.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
So I'm assuming Discord is down for everyone else too?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Looks like they broke the API fixing something else.

In more anime-related content, I am watching Hakumei and Mikochi again, which is an okay animated adaptation of one of my favorite mangas. I think that came out after K-on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Larry Parrish posted:

i feel slightly seen here but the truth is while I like anime it's not an actual hobby for me the way gaming is so i don't care to talk about it unless I just finished watching or reading something. i have the josei thread bookmarked though.
have you read spy x family yet

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
spy x family is great and I am excited to see how the anime turns out

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
spy x family is really good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Space Flower posted:

the 'actual' part would place it well outside of anime jurisdiction as it was a complex set of ideas used by a philosopher 50 years ago to recontextualize much older philosophical works. it was never meant to be applied to madoka as a magical girl show or w/e.

Oh no, not the concept in it's entirety. I mean more like, what does that even mean, why do people keep slapping it on Madoka and Gurren Lagann and Evangelion for some reason? Is it a Family Guy thing where they haven't seen the actual reference and they assume this created it in the first place?

If that conversation is too boring to start, didn't Mierko Chan have a thread in here?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Oh no, not the concept in it's entirety. I mean more like, what does that even mean, why do people keep slapping it on Madoka and Gurren Lagann and Evangelion for some reason? Is it a Family Guy thing where they haven't seen the actual reference and they assume this created it in the first place?

If that conversation is too boring to start, didn't Mierko Chan have a thread in here?

Almost no one who uses the term online has read Derrida that's for sure.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If its okay to apply to batman comics I'm sure its also okay to apply it to anime/manga.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Invictus posted:

have you read spy x family yet

lol this is exactly what I needed. thank you.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I watch something from my collection when I go for a run on my treadmill and right now I’m re-watching Crest/Banner of the Stars and man this stuff is so good. I love this kind of Sci-Fi where the characters are like “hey were in a spaceship and only got hit by a tiny bit of a space mine and now we’re all sorts of messed up” because it just adds that much more tension to the battles. I can’t wait for the paperback collections to get beyond the anime material.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Black Stones posted:

I watch something from my collection when I go for a run on my treadmill and right now I’m re-watching Crest/Banner of the Stars and man this stuff is so good. I love this kind of Sci-Fi where the characters are like “hey were in a spaceship and only got hit by a tiny bit of a space mine and now we’re all sorts of messed up” because it just adds that much more tension to the battles. I can’t wait for the paperback collections to get beyond the anime material.

Oh yeah I remember that one, never got to finish it though. If you're interested in something similar there's also "Starship Operators" especially if you happened to have liked The Expanse.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My workout anime of choice lately (when I'm not working out long enough to watch a whole dang movie) has been Kimagure Orange Road. Recently hit that 2nd opening and it's a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2OmXgEBT-w&t=102s

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't mind when they deconstruct my anime but i draw the line at deconstructing my dessert.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

i think its a telephone game thing where some people tried to use it to describe what evangelion is doing, and then a bunch of nerds with an even worse understanding of the term latched onto it and used it increasingly wrongly to mean anything that's a subversive or horror-y take on its genre.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

i think its a telephone game thing where some people tried to use it to describe what evangelion is doing, and then a bunch of nerds with an even worse understanding of the term latched onto it and used it increasingly wrongly to mean anything that's a subversive or horror-y take on its genre.
This and also most English language words more appropriate, like satire, imply comedy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Black Stones posted:

this sounds ftw because I really loved planetes lol.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I make no pretence to understand the finer detail of deconstruction. Basically a lot of people use deconstruction to mean something is a dark edgy take on a genre when what it should be is more of an examination of why we assume certain things or try to find an objective truth or reading in a work.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dark and edgy things own

Light and cheerful things own also

Mixing them together...perfect

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tales of Woe posted:

I think to be fair, its being widely used as a catch all for any work that seems to be scrutinizing the commonly used tropes and setting conveniences of the genre it is a part of. This doesn't have to be particularly thorough or encompassing for it to be applicable. A particular work being a darker/grimmer example tends to overlap with being labelled/considered to be a deconstruction because often that's what happens when you take a fantastical setting and make it more "realistic", because such things would be horrifying if it was real. Kids being forced to fight giant robot battles to save humanity would be horrifying if it came to that; people having superpowers and society being forced to take a backseat would also be horrifying if it actually existed; aliens invading regularly would also be probably pretty horrifying if it happened; children given vast magical powers and responsibilities by a morally questionable source to fight literal demons would also be pretty horrifying if it happened in real life. That's why 'deconstruction' media works tends to find itself in the "dark and edgy" bin and why people sometimes are overeager to label a dark and edgy work as deconstruction.

Additionally, words/meanings are malleable and subject to change; see there being a "conventional"/popular meaning of term, and its academic/philosophical/theological definition. So literature/media analysis/criticism can have their version of the term as it makes sense to contextualize and discuss modern works, and ivory tower nerds can have their version of the term. :v:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Thank you for the long post about things that aren’t deconstruction.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

Thank you for the long post about things that aren’t deconstruction.

Not sure what you mean. It's very clearly the context in which people use the term to discuss popular culture; hence it has a valid meaning in that context.

e: https://www.britannica.com/topic/deconstruction

quote:

In popular usage the term has come to mean a critical dismantling of tradition and traditional modes of thought.

Seems clear cut to me.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 8, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I missed Sushi Chat but there is a fuckin rad sushi place where I live that I go to all the time, which is kinda weird cuz I live in buttfuck Texas but it is SO good. They make poo poo like deep-fried sushi burritos and sometimes they do sushi nachos and they're both awesome. Their menu is loving huge; I've eaten at least 20 different things off of it and I haven't had a bad thing yet.

Also they have a drive-thru.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 8, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

when did anime become a thing hot sexy people like?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I. M. Gei posted:

Wasn't this always the case since at least EVA cosplay started appearing at conventions?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I. M. Gei posted:

when i started watching it :grin:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Dark and edgy things own

Light and cheerful things own also

Mixing them together...perfect

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

symbolic posted:

when i started watching it :grin:

Thank you for your service

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

marumaru posted:

i really love that her toes are censored on the full pic

the internet is a magical place

Oh darn yeah the embed here cut that off bc it's the funniest loving thing ever

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Incredible reasoning here btw

https://twitter.com/shark_fursona/status/1500996673992114181

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also since fluffdaddy isnt giving me modship i'll revive the sexy cosplay thread

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

he's right tho

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larry Parrish posted:

The protagonist spends 200 chapters growing with the second love interest just to end up getting with the love interest from the first volume in the space of about 5 chapters. I didn't look it up but I'm convinced it was serialized and got suddenly canceled lol. The ending is a little rushed but it's fine, I guess, it's a happy ending for the characters but it's kind of like. Narratively whack, I guess.

Scott should've gotten back together with Kim instead of Ramona.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Didn't Kim end up with Knives or was that a gag for the game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They kissed in the GNs.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Didn't Kim end up with Knives or was that a gag for the game

she goes to university in the comic, she only ends up with Kim in Kim's ending

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
In the movie they filmed both endings where he ends up with either Ramona or Knives and i can't remember which is the actual ending.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Namtab posted:

she goes to university in the comic, she only ends up with Kim in Kim's ending

Ahhhh, gotcha, it's been a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CJ posted:

In the movie they filmed both endings where he ends up with either Ramona or Knives and i can't remember which is the actual ending.

Scott does not end up with knives.