Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Romania iirc had a lot of weird nationalism encouraged by ceaucescu during the latter years of the regime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Plutonis posted:

Romania iirc had a lot of weird nationalism encouraged by ceaucescu during the latter years of the regime

The impression I get is they want to have it both ways regarding Roman colonization and savage wolf warriors.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Really wanna have a few beers with this guy and just listen

Would really unlock knowledge of the world and all that

rogan needs to have him on

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The impression I get is they want to have it both ways regarding Roman colonization and savage wolf warriors.

The latin/slav combo is a rare one, of course they should play it up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

romanians aren't slavs lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i say swears online posted:

Inland Empire: The Fourth Rome must be in...Bucharest

If they restored the Hapsburgs in the interwar era it could have happened

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Dacians

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

If they restored the Hapsburgs in the interwar era it could have happened

The U.S. did create a free Austrian/Austro-Hungarian battalion to fight against the Nazis

http://www.indianamilitary.org/Camp%20Atterbury/Austrian%20Bn/Austrian%20BN.htm

Some people didn't like it though because they thought it was a way for the Hapsburg to worm their way back into power

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

The U.S. did create a free Austrian/Austro-Hungarian battalion to fight against the Nazis

http://www.indianamilitary.org/Camp%20Atterbury/Austrian%20Bn/Austrian%20BN.htm

Some people didn't like it though because they thought it was a way for the Hapsburg to worm their way back into power

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the intention. But given the track record of US operations when they are not about couping progressive heads of state.....

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I know that, but Romanian is in the slavic sprachbund

and even if that's not actually true, they've got a similar vibe lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

they've got a similar vibe lol

i concede this

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The US should have handed Indiana over to the Hapsburgs princes when they showed up. Would have spiced it up a bit.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

The US should have handed Indiana over to the Hapsburgs princes when they showed up. Would have spiced it up a bit.

people shouting DYNASTY at peyton are beheaded

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
over under on whether in the next episode about ukraine john says the "you know the difference between a language and a dialect" joke?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Looks like this one's been alive for a couple weeks.

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1500511258671345667?s=20&t=Ty_vdMF54BY8AosVcivxBg

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Ben is such a good guest, his area of expertise is right in their blind spot.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Carl please, not again

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
CARL STOP

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Ben is such a good guest, his area of expertise is right in their blind spot.

he is a good guest but i thought on this ep he was making a lot of confident predictions for someone who got the invasion wrong

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

he is a good guest but i thought on this ep he was making a lot of confident predictions for someone who got the invasion wrong

i think both these points can be correct. i could hear mark and john making scooby doo noises when he said estonia was right to join nato but in general i appreciated his perspective. i'm not sure how to square "russia is the #x exporter of y and without these commodities the world is hosed when russia retaliates with trade barriers" and "wow russia is about to make a killing by exporting commodities!!" though. he absolutely got a side-eye out of me two or three times

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
estonia decision to join nato is looking smarter than ever, or does mark not think russia would invade estonia either? lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If Estonia had Finlandized, probably not.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:biotruths:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

guest really did like the helsinki accords

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I was not even thinking about that, lol.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

i think both these points can be correct. i could hear mark and john making scooby doo noises when he said estonia was right to join nato but in general i appreciated his perspective. i'm not sure how to square "russia is the #x exporter of y and without these commodities the world is hosed when russia retaliates with trade barriers" and "wow russia is about to make a killing by exporting commodities!!" though. he absolutely got a side-eye out of me two or three times

I heard it as the commodities will go to China in non USD transactions. Agree he had some weird takes (he said 'the US started the war' a few too many times) but I like the finance reporter version of war nerd.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

As a follower of number I really enjoyed this episode because "the west" really did fire off the sanctions gun with no thought behind the consequences this time around.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It was a really good episode. I am not too concerned about their predictions being wrong. The guest Ben was able to explain a lot of the sanctions stuff and the effects they may have in a way that was easy for me to understand (I'm not that smart).

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Greg Legg posted:

(I'm not that smart).

We can tell from your posts. :laugh:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My one complaint about the new episode is how they keep bringing up the "rules based order" like it's a real thing, and not something that only applies to Europe.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
isn't that the whole pretense of the EU though? like the kayfabe is the feature, yeah?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I dunno, I figured Mark or John would've brought up Iraq or Libya, but I guess that's beyond the scope of the episode.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
they rarely challenge their guests
see: The Igbo Supremacy Power Hour where you learn that Muslim Nigerians are worthless government mooches who breed too much

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

did you think Russia "probably" wouldn't invade Ukraine, either? same here! turns out all bets are off, baby

Zedhe Khoja posted:

see: The Igbo Supremacy Power Hour where you learn that Muslim Nigerians are worthless government mooches who breed too much
it isn't supposed to be a hostile interview, but yeah they really should have edit more of that kind of poo poo out

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 23:02 on Mar 9, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zedhe Khoja posted:

emptyquote

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

at least on this most recent episode when the guest was going on toward the end about how (relatively) easily russia could withstand all the sanctions mark asked what a worst case scenario might be

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
If what Ben says about Russia's long term prospects are accurate, I don't see how this war was anything other than the west removing Russia as a rival so they can focus on China full time. Putin is a dupe. Shame about all the dead Ukrainians and resurgent nazis

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nothus posted:

If what Ben says about Russia's long term prospects are accurate, I don't see how this war was anything other than the west removing Russia as a rival so they can focus on China full time. Putin is a dupe. Shame about all the dead Ukrainians and resurgent nazis

A Russia that's becoming more reliant on Asian markets for trade and manufactured goods means there could never be a focus on China because it's one gigantic anti-western bloc now.

It's a focus on Eurasia is what I'm saying.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

My one complaint about the new episode is how they keep bringing up the "rules based order" like it's a real thing, and not something that only applies to Europe.

yeah there was a bit of what Mark would have called “Davos talk” in another context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A Russia that's becoming more reliant on Asian markets for trade and manufactured goods means there could never be a focus on China because it's one gigantic anti-western bloc now.

It's a focus on Eurasia is what I'm saying.

Yeah.

He mentioned blowback. The rest of this century is going to be unintentional blowback.