Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
j k rowling disrupting a german lesson by continually shouting "what gamete does Der Tisch have? what chromosomes does Die Brücke have"

e: 28 Liberty Street is a 60-story skyscraper in the International style.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i genuinely feel sorry for non english speakers

it must be so hard to actually get across what you're trying to say if you can't use english

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
J K Rowling is 56 years old, what gametes is she producing again?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
gametus producus

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Imagine spending international women's day arguing about who counts.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I wrote a pissed off but polite letter to my backbench labour MP telling him to pull his finger out and get shouty about the bullshit response to refugees right now. Fat lot of good it'll do but it felt good.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My MP is facing an all-members ballot to fight off re-selection this week.

It's odd; I wouldn't have said she's done anything particularly wrong, aside from being pro-Keith and generally very melty, but she was parachuted in by the NEC before the last election despite there being an ongoing candidate selection process at the time. So it's possible the CLP are just passive-aggressively telling her and the NEC to gently caress off and let us sort out our own.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 9, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

This all reminds me of every fucker on the BBC insisting on pronouncing chorizo as 'tho-ree-tho' and, like, I get it, but we're not in Valencia and no one is popping into 'prey-a-mange' for a sandwich, why that word specifically???

Tam Paine being like "can you get me some mang-eh toot when you're at Tesco?"

I sort of hate that we anglicise foreign words. I blame it for people who say "expresso". It'd be much more fun to talk about Bayern München beating Chelsea last night than Bayern Munich imo or how Putin is sat losing his poo poo in Moskva.

I know English isn't the only language that does this

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i genuinely feel sorry for non english speakers

it must be so hard to actually get across what you're trying to say if you can't use english

I envy non-English readers because they can't read your posts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I say expresso specifically to annoy people and also because it's manky.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I say expresso specifically to annoy people and also because it's manky.

But all coffee is manky, espresso is best coffee because you can drink it in one & get that hit of caffeine. Probably only works because I'm not a coffee drinker regularly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Filter coffee is nice if you get it fresh, but generally I just settle for instant and lots of sugar because :effort:

But coffee machines are just engines of spite and hatred that exist to create more suffering in the world and you pay for the suffering and then people drink it while a twee man tries to make company mandated small talk at you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I say expresso because caffeine makes u go fast :shrug:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I am far too invested in watching James Hoffman videos on YouTube to not have some liking for coffee, espressos and the process involved.

But I will still take an iced Camp Coffee over it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I know, I get it! Literally every language on the planet does the same thing. Interesting to wonder why we choose to pronounce the words we do like they're spoken in the original language though, while other ones are bastardised.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
foreign person: and this is how you pronounce our capital city
british person: ha! no

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I was under the impression - and this is obviously third-hand information - the specific issue was that the original English-language name was actually based on and/or more similar to the Russian-language name than the Ukrainian one. Which isn't ideal.

Like maybe it is self-congratulatory navel-gazing but it's not like changing it is very onerous so
Trashfuture's Milo was explaining it in the new episode. Ukrainian has two different I vowels, and the kee-ev pronunciation is better expressed by the ie dipthong in Kiev, which is how the Russians used to Anglicise it.

However the Ukranians started latinising it as Kyiv on their maps, which ironically has meant that we're all now pronouncing it completely wrong.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Clapping for the NHS was cool, but how about just doing the work of the NHS by yourself?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/mar/08/sajid-javid-families-help-nhs-pushing-loved-ones-improve-health

The report I have asked the NHS to write (???) on how to fix staffing problems? Next year, mate.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jabby posted:

That's very interesting, thanks. I don't suppose you have any idea what the potential payout might be for a data breach lawsuit like this?
No idea, sorry. The solicitors probably have a good assessment though (since they're hoping to keep 25% of it)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

No idea, sorry. The solicitors probably have a good assessment though (since they're hoping to keep 25% of it)

It is rather uncharted territory because it's one of the first large-scale data breaches since the GDPR-related updates to the Data Protection Act (which don't change any of the duties of care to the party but do increase the fines the ICO can levy, which *in theory* change the amount of compo you're entitled to), and also because the extreme secrecy around the breaches mean it's almost impossible to tell where the breach sits on a scale between "Whoops an encrypted file went missing in transit but there's no evidence it's malicious and we followed our stated policy to the letter" and "Erm we just found our entire customer database for sale on a carders forum". There's *rumours* that it's a ransomware attack but as far as I know these are just rumours. If they're true then the fines will be towards the former end of the scale rather than the latter, but the devil will be in the details.

Those hoping this will bankrupt the Labour Party are likely to be disappointed though - unless they did something *very* stupid when transferring data to these other companies it almost definitely has clean enough hands to not get hit by either the ICO or the lawsuit (although again the devil may be in the details, and the fact there's a funny smell around the use of at least one of these companies there's a *possibility* that they did in fact do something very silly, for example not doing due diligence about the data protection policies of the companies or transferring more data than is required for the stated reason for the transfer).

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Mebh posted:

I wrote a pissed off but polite letter to my backbench labour MP telling him to pull his finger out and get shouty about the bullshit response to refugees right now. Fat lot of good it'll do but it felt good.

If you pm me it I'll forward it to mine if you like

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.marx-memorial-library.org.uk/event/113

If anyone fancies it, the annual oration at the grave of Karl Marx is this Sunday.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Those hoping this will bankrupt the Labour Party are likely to be disappointed though - unless they did something *very* stupid when transferring data to these other companies it almost definitely has clean enough hands to not get hit by either the ICO or the lawsuit (although again the devil may be in the details, and the fact there's a funny smell around the use of at least one of these companies there's a *possibility* that they did in fact do something very silly, for example not doing due diligence about the data protection policies of the companies or transferring more data than is required for the stated reason for the transfer).

Yeah, it's not like the current leadership has a record of doing bafflingly stupid poo poo, so I'm sure they have absolutely nothing to worry about :)

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Is it just me or is JoMo now tweeting differently? Using a more casual style. Old dog new tricks perhaps?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

Is it just me or is JoMo now tweeting differently? Using a more casual style. Old dog new tricks perhaps?

He's being radicalised by the fact that the shitpost left are the only ones not to just constantly bring up foxes - he's already been on Sinan Kose's stream and IIRC has talked about a couple of other lefty podcasts. Give him a couple of months and he'll be doing Phoenix Wright Twitch streams in his wig and gown and tweeting Rare Brendans.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

At first glance this guy's institution seems to be doing good poo poo

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

Private Eye’s ‘Profits of Doom’ exposé on this subject was infuriating reading.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Foxbane is one of those good liberals where he actually believes what he is saying instead of it being a thin veneer to gain power.

He is also a former tax barrister and apparently they either go full dark side or quit to go and repair all the damage they have done.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

I know, I get it! Literally every language on the planet does the same thing. Interesting to wonder why we choose to pronounce the words we do like they're spoken in the original language though, while other ones are bastardised.

In Italy they call Florence + the Machine Firenze + La Macchina

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Shyrka posted:

Wait, I say Edin-burra and I live here!

wtf have I been saying it wrong my whole life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbM7aPA6O6U

No way man, I don't recognise this.

edit: If you click the sound icon at the start of the wiki page the guy there says it like how I say it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh

That wikipedia clip is fun because if you focus you can make it turn into "Edin-bruh" or "Edin-buruh". As the official decider of edinburgh pronounciation because I'm me and I'm always right i declare both correct so long as you make it as difficult to tell as this guy did. Definitely more correct than that youtube guy who is leaning more to "Edin-brah". i mean it's still entirely understandable but one has to find some reason to feel smarter than foreigners when all other evidence says otherwise

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Angepain posted:

That wikipedia clip is fun because if you focus you can make it turn into "Edin-bruh" or "Edin-buruh". As the official decider of edinburgh pronounciation because I'm me and I'm always right i declare both correct so long as you make it as difficult to tell as this guy did. Definitely more correct than that youtube guy who is leaning more to "Edin-brah". i mean it's still entirely understandable but one has to find some reason to feel smarter than foreigners when all other evidence says otherwise

Embra

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

You can’t fool me, that was an Elden Souls level.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"anti-communism without communism" becomes a more accurate diagnosis every day

https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1501455383273304064

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

"anti-communism without communism" becomes a more accurate diagnosis every day

https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1501455383273304064

It's baffling because almost all of my Twitter follows are deranged UK lefties and I'm not seeing that at all, I can only assume to him that anyone not calling for instant thermonuclear annihilation is part of Putin's neo Stalinist cyber hordes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

But all coffee is manky, espresso is best coffee because you can drink it in one & get that hit of caffeine. Probably only works because I'm not a coffee drinker regularly

I like using a moka pot to make fake espresso because then it can just sit there on the stove all day and i can top some of it up with boiling water whenever i feel like it. convenient!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Convex posted:

foreign person: and this is how you pronounce our capital city
british person: ha! no

British person: 'it is now pronounced Kingstown/Georgetown/Elizabethtown/insert-monarch-here. also here's your new flag!'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/nadeembhattiUK/status/1501291671815966721

https://twitter.com/nadeembhattiUK/status/1501452340213207053
:discourse:

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh that's why the English Del Boy pronunciation of guillotine grates on me so much.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Moccamaster (in KGB Red!) is probably the highest level of "coffee wanker" I've experienced in the wild, p good results tho

https://cookinglife.eu/moccamaster-...QRoCBa4QAvD_BwE

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's baffling because almost all of my Twitter follows are deranged UK lefties and I'm not seeing that at all, I can only assume to him that anyone not calling for instant thermonuclear annihilation is part of Putin's neo Stalinist cyber hordes.

I think over in centrist-land the consensus is forming that anyone who so much as mentions NATO in the chain of cause-and-effect is a Putin outrider.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean they definitely exist, I ran into two like yesterday. Here's one, I blocked the other:
https://twitter.com/PolitsturmInter/status/1500071544659267587
Other hits from this one include "The Soviet Union wasn't totalitarian, all the workers loved it, actually" and "The Soviet Union loved minority ethnic groups and definitely didn't raise Russians above all others" (ask the Crimean Tatars about that one).

And have some more, go on, you've been good.
https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/1501453398234832898

E: The one I blocked was posting poo poo like "The only thing Stalin did wrong was not going far enough" and "When they call you a tankie, that just means the tanks are on your side, and I love sending in the tanks"

Dabir fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1501513655157985285

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 9, 2022