Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've only played Splatoon 2 during those weekends when it's free but I didn't actually like the gyro there. It felt limited but I can't remember why. Is it something like you can only move on one axis and need the stick for the other? Or is it the other way around where the right stick won't help you aim either vertically or horizontally and you HAVE to use gyro?

Gyro is at its best when it's fully complimenting stick aiming; not when it's taking over.

It's the second. Stick turns horizontally, gyro is for aiming in the X and Y axes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just Andi Now posted:

It's the second. Stick turns horizontally, gyro is for aiming in the X and Y axes.

See, that's kind of dumb and I get why that could turn someone off of gyro.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I prefer it that way because it lets me do flick shots properly.

EDIT: Actually, related to this, the gyro controls that got updated for Fortnite work similarly. Right stick turns, gyro aim. The difference is that the right stick is used more like a twin stick shooter than your regular FPS/3PS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiSS5OsNCNU

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 9, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gently caress yesssss! :peanut:

I still hope F-Zero GX gets a remaster someday, that game ruled and I loved the custom-part vehicles.

Plus it'd be fun to watch a new generation experience the brutal horrors of Story Mode... :unsmigghh:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have beat it on very hard. It was very hard and took a lot of tries

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

dark souls invented video games being hard and taking a lot of tries

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Plus it'd be fun to watch a new generation experience the brutal horrors of Story Mode... :unsmigghh:

That one goon post about F-Zero GX's story mode aged extremely horribly due to the slurs but the idea behind the rant was still prety funny.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You know, since the missions and rewards, I've actually been checking out the NSO app (on the Switch itself... Is that a channel?) more often and found out right away about the MH trial, and FZero coming out this Friday. I used to not care about seeing that dot by it, signifying something new, but now... now I have to clear the dot. I gotta see what's up.

The news feed, much less so. I have a Japanese profile due to the Famicom and Super Famicom apps, so I have a ton of channels I can't even read without Google lens on there. I've finally unsubscribed from I think all of them but since the Japanese profile was taken over by one of my sons, any time he plays a new game (to him), I get auto subscribed to the news channel of that game. :psyduck:

Anyway, whenever I'm not sure what to play, that NSO channel kind of gets me in the mood to play something classic, usually TLOZ.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1501558646320377860

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s too bad

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Well that sucks. Totally understand why they're doing this and I get it, but I was also really looking forward to playing this again. Hopefully they don't delay it indefinitely.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's always bad poo poo going on in the world so in this gamer's opinion nobody should put out any new video games ever.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

OLED switch vs base switch is the difference between the Gameboy Advance and the Gameboy Advance SP. If you’re old enough to remember what Im talking about, then the choice is clear.
I think the frontlit vs. backlit SP is a more apt comparison. There's nothing really wrong with the OG Switch screen even if the OLED is a clear improvement. The OG GBA was practically unplayable.

Edit: Beaten, badly.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The original Advance Wars was released in America on September 10, 2001. I remember it vividly because I was still playing it after 9/11 went down and my dad kept commenting about how I was playing a video game about war at such a time, "guess you're getting ready for being drafted," etc. etc.

This post has no content of value, I guess I just always remembered that and it feels like maybe Nintendo has a bit of a knack for releasing Advance Wars games right around times of major global conflicts. Seems dumb to delay it though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Morter posted:

Okay so lets say I impulse buy a Switch OLED today: what's a simple/durable case for it? I ask because apparently it won't fit my current and cool Tomtoc case.
Will it not? The dimensions of the OLED are slightly different but should still be well within the tolerance of cases. I have the Tomtoc case for the Split Pad Pro and it fits both models just fine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Weren't people itt just saying "this would never happen" like last week?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

So I guess this mean that the game is never launching then. Seriously this is dumb as gently caress

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

See, that's kind of dumb and I get why that could turn someone off of gyro.

It's not dumb at all and lets you do three things simultaneously with two sticks.

You can slam the turning stick around while running backwards and doing fine-tuned aim with small gyro movements. It whips rear end over twin-stick alone and you could literally never get the kind of movement + accuracy without it.

It also feels fantastic, but that's obviously subjective

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Fondly remembering that bygone era of unparalleled world peace during which all the other advance wars games came out

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Advance Wars features a Russian general and the main gameplay is about driving tanks into populated areas

If it had a general in a turban whose gimmick was capturing HQs by flying hijacked passenger jets into them, I bet they would have taken it off the shelves pretty quick!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

POCKET CHOMP posted:

This post has no content of value, I guess I just always remembered that and it feels like maybe Nintendo has a bit of a knack for releasing Advance Wars games right around times of major global conflicts. Seems dumb to delay it though.
I wouldn't have criticized Nintendo for releasing it on schedule, but I think delaying it makes sense in the current situation. It's a children's game that makes light of war at a a time when there's war of aggression going on.

Now, mind you, AW2 came out a few months after the 2003 invasion of Iraq, so make of that what you will.

Edit: To be clear I don't think Nintendo is delaying the release because of compassion or solidarity. I think they're doing it because they want to avoid negative media reports of "CHILDREN'S WAR GAME" that would definitely happen in a way that was not a problem back in 2003.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 9, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I wouldn't have criticized Nintendo for releasing it on schedule, but I think delaying it makes sense in the current situation. It's a children's game that makes light of war at a a time when there's war of aggression going on.

Now, mind you, AW2 came out a few months after the 2003 invasion of Iraq, so make of that what you will.

If they're gonna wait for no armed conflicts to be happening in the world before they release it then it'd be wiser to just scrap it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Advance Wars delay is understandable. Gives me more time to play Triangle Strategy, a tactical RPG about a powerful country that invades it's smaller neighboring country.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

1. Iraq didn't "feel" like literal tanks in western streets
2. Subtle and pervasive ingrained racism

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Srice posted:

If they're gonna wait for no armed conflicts to be happening in the world before they release it then it'd be wiser to just scrap it.
They already printed the carts though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Bloop posted:

It's not dumb at all and lets you do three things simultaneously with two sticks.

You can slam the turning stick around while running backwards and doing fine-tuned aim with small gyro movements. It whips rear end over twin-stick alone and you could literally never get the kind of movement + accuracy without it.

It also feels fantastic, but that's obviously subjective

Sorry, I meant that it felt dumb that it limited the twin stick movement and functionality. I love gyro, but I especially love it when it's used in tandem with full aiming with the right stick. It's weird that you can't aim vertically with the right stick. :shrug:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I don't think they'll need to wait for all war to end forever before it can come out, they'll just release it when this one is less fresh and no longer dominating the news cycle (hopefully for positive reasons)

I'd expect it to still come out this year

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

woke kaczynski posted:

Fondly remembering that bygone era of unparalleled world peace during which all the other advance wars games came out

Srice posted:

There's always bad poo poo going on in the world so in this gamer's opinion nobody should put out any new video games ever.

Willo567 posted:

So I guess this mean that the game is never launching then. Seriously this is dumb as gently caress

Lol you're so mad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They delayed it because it's unmarketable. I called this a week ago. They can't advertise it or roll out any of their already produced spots without backlash.

They'll wait a few months til people have gotten used to the war and don't care anymore

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maybe the game sucks lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

American McGay posted:

Lol you're so mad.

:dafuq:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/keithjohnstack/status/1501570001551208460?t=Pn5MDWGD-Ful5ixvYZqh9g&s=19

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The Mushroom Kingdom has been added to the list of states that have offended Russia.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Advance Wars 1 not getting a normal release in japan and Days of Ruin not at all does a lot to explain the series being dead

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What?! They didn't delay the original game at all! I heard it from multiple sources itt!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Hot take: they are using the war as an excuse. In fact the game is far from ready.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe Nintendo will release TWO N64 games in April now

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fzero X surprise release starting to make sense now

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They delayed it because it's unmarketable. I called this a week ago. They can't advertise it or roll out any of their already produced spots without backlash.

They'll wait a few months til people have gotten used to the war and don't care anymore

Yeah, basically. It makes sense, and I realize they can't outright say "delays due to there being a war that hasn't been normalized yet" but the wording does come out a little silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what if the world event they're talking about is the imminent surprise release of Silksong