Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

See, I think Judaism and Islam have this but at least in the evangelical Christian branch I was brought up in we were expected to loving die before denying Jesus.

Like it was drilled into our heads that there would probably be a day where somebody had a gun and told us they’d shoot our whole class if we didn’t deny Jesus, and the right move there was to let them shoot everybody. It was hosed.

Man I grew up in that environment, and that particular point was screwed up enough that I'd forgotten all about it. I remember thinking in Sunday School, nobody else would actually do this, they'd all just pray for forgiveness and tell a lie, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Naw. If you’re not going to have the husband there you need a reason. It’s expected that he’s going to be there for the birth of his child now.

Now, we’re getting half the story. She could have a very good reason. But just springing “no I don’t want you in here” on him while in labor would be very lovely.
I suspect the reason is hidden in here:

quote:

We had not really discussed the plan for the hospital and I had no reason to think I wouldn't be there when my son was born.
Who hasn't discussed the plan several times by the time labour is happening? If you haven't then you're not really part of the team. Huge guess, but maybe he didn't have time or wasn't interested?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man I grew up in that environment, and that particular point was screwed up enough that I'd forgotten all about it. I remember thinking in Sunday School, nobody else would actually do this, they'd all just pray for forgiveness and tell a lie, right?

I totally bought into all that poo poo at that age and thought that was now I would probably end up dying. In reality I probably would’ve just poo poo my pants and give a Hail Satan or whatever they wanted.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The first time I questioned religion was when the Sunday school lady said God was omnipotent and could do anything and by praying He would help you, so I prayed and asked for a morpher from Power Rangers so I could morph and fight bad guys.

When somehow God didn't deliver on that, I had the whole "if God is omnipotent then He CHOSE not to help me, or He isn't actually omnipotent" crisis. I was like, four

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Danaru posted:

The first time I questioned religion was when the Sunday school lady said God was omnipotent and could do anything and by praying He would help you, so I prayed and asked for a morpher from Power Rangers so I could morph and fight bad guys.

When somehow God didn't deliver on that, I had the whole "if God is omnipotent then He CHOSE not to help me, or He isn't actually omnipotent" crisis. I was like, four

Are you there Zordon? It's me, Margaret

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I went to Sunday school once and nothing specific bounced me off, all the kids were just kinda weird and my parents looked super bored after mass

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
My dad missed my birth because he stopped to get a cooked breakfast on the way to the hospital.

Everyone agreed this was a sensible decision.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Judaism doesn't do the martyr thing for the most part. Preservation of life overrides every other mitzvah. It's nice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most religions will also not hold it against you if you're tricked or forced into breaking a commandment

Except the "don't deny jesus even at gunpoint" people, I guess

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hardship clause. If it is literally impossible to prevent or would save a life, it's ok to let a meal/item go kashrut as long as you make a good faith effort to minimize its impact afterwards. Strict religious observation is not worth more than a human life.

Religion has been around long enough to allow people to ponder all the absurd hypotheticals.

(I was joking) I'm aware Judaism allows any of its rules to be broken to save a life.

See, I think Judaism and Islam have this but at least in the evangelical Christian branch I was brought up in we were expected to loving die before denying Jesus.

Like it was drilled into our heads that there would probably be a day where somebody had a gun and told us they’d shoot our whole class if we didn’t deny Jesus, and the right move there was to let them shoot everybody. It was hosed.

Judaism does. Yeah, christianity defs does not. In mine, the reverend said "if the president walked in right now and said there's a war who will fight for me, who would go with him raise your hand" (because that's how drafts work :jerkbag:) "ok what if jesus walked in and said who will fight for me?" and then anyone who didn't raise their hand got detention. Mine also emphasized how cool and awesome martyrdom was and was very clear on how it was highly probable that someone would say "renounce christ or I will kill you" to a bunch of kids living in the bible belt who would almost all stay in their hometown forever. It sucks that religious schools are the only non-public option in small towns. Glad you managed to get out in one piece too.

Danaru posted:

Nice.

AITA for reading an email at work?

quote:

I’m not sure if this post even belongs here or how to word the title. Basically I was fired from my job as a vet tech today for reading an email.

The email was a job acceptance from another place of work that I had been looking forward to. One of my coworkers saw the email and congratulated me on getting the job. (Mind you I hadn’t accepted the job or even finished reading the email) My other coworkers heard and started asking questions and we started to lightly discuss the topic since things were slow. One of the doctors then pulled me to the side and called me disrespectful for telling the team before the bosses. I let her know I hadn’t accepted the job yet and planned to write up a proper letter of resignation along with a two weeks notice at a later time and she told me I’d better do it quick before they find out. While I was in another room with a client that same doctor went and told my boss that I was telling everyone I was quitting. When I finished with my client I was pulled into the office and fired. They tried to word it as if they were letting me leave early to start my new job sooner.

I can understand how I might be in the wrong for discussing things on work time but I had no intentions of quitting on the spot. So Reddit, am I the rear end in a top hat?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

My dad missed my birth because he stopped to get a cooked breakfast on the way to the hospital.

Everyone agreed this was a sensible decision.

lmao my dad stopped to get coffee. He walked into the room where my mom was holding me and he just looked at me and said "who's that?"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
When the Japanese outlawed christianity in Japan, they had a bunch of tiles with Jesus/Mary on them and anyone who was reluctant to step on Jesus or Mary was shuffled off to the capitol to be reeducated (Read: Tortured into giving up their faith or killed).

There's actually a lot of really interesting religious artifacts from this period of time where they tried to disguise christian imagery in Buddhist or Shinto shrines.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Naw. If you’re not going to have the husband there you need a reason. It’s expected that he’s going to be there for the birth of his child now.

Now, we’re getting half the story. She could have a very good reason. But just springing “no I don’t want you in here” on him while in labor would be very lovely.

Now is the key word? Like 50-60 years ago dad is supposed to pace around in the waiting room smoking a cigarette or 10. They could be old-fashioned or something, or that might still be the norm in large parts of the country/world.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

coronatae posted:

lmao my dad stopped to get coffee. He walked into the room where my mom was holding me and he just looked at me and said "who's that?"

and in that instant, he became a dad :dadjoke:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Invisible Clergy posted:

What if you slipped on a banana peel and cooked a ham in someone's kosher dutch oven on accident and also it was the only way to avoid having the bomb go off? What then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDdOchBejcc

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm no expert and it is weirdly difficult to google, but I don't think the text of the Bible ever goes into all that much detail on hardship clauses.

Jesus suggested you should break sabbath rules to save a donkey, for example.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Danaru posted:

"She and I have always had a good relationship and I have never once suspected her of cheating. However that’s what everyone that gets cheated on says." Stunning brains on this fella
I found the perfect woman for him

AITA for snooping on boyfriend…and getting burned.

quote:

TLDR: I looked up boyfriend’s public record and couldn’t find his previous marriage or divorce paperwork. He and his ex have stated numerous times that they were married, and gave supporting details. Not sure how to approach.

ETA: I’m a true crime junkie, so diving into things comes naturally to me anyway. I wanted to check now before I got big, big feelings and might overlook bright red flags. Removed subscription site name. We have discussed our weddings and he did not state that it was in a foreign country.

I am currently separated from my husband and living in an apartment with a roommate. The marriage had been over for years, but in November I finally decided to take the leap and leave. After I moved out, I started lightly dating to improve my confidence, and ended up hitting it off with someone I met organically. We’ve been seeing each other for about a month and a half. Things are going well, he’s really sweet, emotionally available/stable, my friends like him, lots of chemistry, etc.

Today, while I’m in the process of filing my own divorce papers, it crosses my mind that the initial snoop of NewMan™️ (which I think everyone should do prior to going on date #2 or 3!) did not turn up the public record of his previous marriage or divorce. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but now that I could see myself becoming more serious with him, I decided to procrastinate by getting a more solid look at his public records.

I paid for a subscription (best rated from numerous sources) and searched him. Again, I find no marriage or divorce decrees! So, naturally I look up his ex-wife thinking he may have used an alias somewhere and I can reverse engineer the information, but she also has no marriages/divorces….

Now I’m extremely confused because he’s described his wedding to me. He told me what they did for their honeymoon. On our first date, he told me he was also recently separated, refers to his previous partner as his ex-wife, and I’ve actually met her briefly wherein she called him her ex-husband. He’s stated that he doesn’t think he wants to get married AGAIN when we were checking on big-ticket compatibility issues. Unless they were “married” in some spiritual ceremony and never made it legal, I can’t reconcile what I’m seeing.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for snooping? For thinking this is a huge red flag? Definitely for snooping on his ex, but I wouldn’t have done it if I hadn’t felt the need to see if NewMan™️ used a different name, and I didn’t look at anything else of hers because I’m not interested to. Is there any way to brooch the subject with him and not look like a giant dick? Is this even an issue worth rising?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kurieg posted:

When the Japanese outlawed christianity in Japan, they had a bunch of tiles with Jesus/Mary on them and anyone who was reluctant to step on Jesus or Mary was shuffled off to the capitol to be reeducated (Read: Tortured into giving up their faith or killed).
Rude of them to do that in the very country where Jesus is buried!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

quote:

Once in Japan, Jesus changed his name to Torai Tora Daitenku and became a garlic farmer.

Man you'd think communion could be a little tastier if that's the case

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ice-T told me Jesus was Korean so It’d make sense the Japanese government would get racist about it

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

I found the perfect woman for him

AITA for snooping on boyfriend…and getting burned.

What is OP's ideal outcome here?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ultraman is Catholic which is why he and Kamen Rider get crucified all the time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Many people would say that you lack empathy for even asking this question. Yes, all of those people have borderline personality disorder, but still, shame on you.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Mellow Seas posted:

Sometimes an AITA is just "heh check out this sweet thing I did to own somebody," and that's just fine.

The ones that immediately annoy me are the ones titled "I did this unbelievably inappropriate thing" and then the first line is "I know the title sounds bad, but hear me out" and the story is they did something very reasonable but just used a misleading title. Stop wasting my time!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

To get her own real true crime story come to life but one where she survives with no trauma or harm to anyone around them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

There are things that are ייהרג ובל יעבור, stuff it's better to sacrifice your life than to do. Those include outright murder, incest (which can get expansive in Judaism), and worshipping other gods.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm no expert and it is weirdly difficult to google, but I don't think the text of the Bible ever goes into all that much detail on hardship clauses. Jesus said you shouldn't renounce your faith to save your own life, but nothing on the subject of smaller violations or saving the lives of others, afaik, which leaves the matter up to sectarian interpretation.

American Evangelism is its own weird and terrifying beast, though. My family is fairly religious and all of them are wholly cool with me not being religious, because just making an effort to be a good person is the thing that matters.

Most of the content of what Judaism, especially Orthodox, is is not in the Bible, but in reams of other documents and exegeses, what's misleadingly called "Oral Torah" (even though it's been written down for centuries).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
AITA for refusing to be an egg donor for my aunt?

quote:

Gonna keep this short. I (22) was recently asked by a family member (F47) to be an egg donor for her. I immediately told her no. She went on to ask me why, and started going on about how my sister agreed but she cannot due to health issues. I told her that I also have health problems as an excuse to say no (not a lie though), and she started probing me on what they are in attempt to invalidate my reasoning.

She seems disappointed that I won't do it, and I feel bad because she can't have a kid on her own, but the idea of her using one of my eggs also makes me extremely uncomfortable, which is the main reason I said no. I also know if I tell her that, that she will really try and guilt me into saying yes.

I've been told it was wrong of me to say no, and that I should just do it because she is family and family helps each other out, especially since she has helped me in different situations in the (very distant) past. However, I don't really talk to her or her husband anymore due to a lot of conflicting viewpoints on the world today, and being insulted for my viewpoints and basically told I'm are wrong by them everytime I do see them.

So AITA for saying no to being my aunts egg donor?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

GIVE ME YOUR EGGS

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Invisible Clergy posted:

WIBTA if I told my boss that my coworker was asking recruiters publicly on LinkedIn to help him find a new job?

Look, a vision from tattletale OP's future!

When i was hunting for jobs i made the mistake of using linkedin’s “open to new opportunities” feature and two years after finding a new gig (through a friend) and turning that feature off (and checking multiple times that the tick box to control it is set to “off”) I still get emails from recruiters telling me they saw that i have the “open to new opportunities” thingy turned on in my profile.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

GIVE ME YOUR EGGS

Lol goddammit

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ravenfood posted:

To get her own real true crime story come to life but one where she survives with no trauma or harm to anyone around them.

Ah, of course.

AITA for telling my husband he's gaslighting me?

quote:

One night this week I put our kids to bed. My husband really wanted me to look over something for him and he was annoyed it was getting late and our children were still up because I gave them extra time on their electronics to listen to music as they fall asleep. My husband said he was going to lock my daughter's computer so she couldn't listen to her music and I told him not to and that he shouldn't take his frustration out on our children. He did it anyways (but unbeknownst to me he was actually trying to extend her time limit which requires him to initially lock it and since my daughter assumed he locked it, she shut her pc off - I found this out 2 days afterwards). The next morning my daughter asked why her computer was locked and I responded "Because daddy was acting childish." This immediately and for good reason set my husband off and he started to yell and cuss at me for saying this about him in front of our children. It seemingly blew over fast though.

The next few days were good. Great actually. But then one night our children were having supper and I don't remember what caused my husband (who was in another room at the time but could hear everything being discussed) to jump in but our daughter ended up responding to him saying "I don't care" and my husband responded by telling her she was punished. She responded by saying "You say it all the time." My husband responded "Do as I say, not as I do." This made our daughter upset and she ran up to her room crying. I then turned to our son and said that it wasn't fair that she got punished because she's only modelling behavior she has seen/heard. This again my husband angry. And angry to the point where he said he wasn't going to punish our children anymore or set rules for them etc... Basically that he was going to stop parenting them and only be their buddy. All the parenting would be left for me to do. In an attempt to calm him down by telling him that I shouldn't have said what I did and that I don't want him to stop parenting our children, it only made him more upset. He kept telling me he was done but I wouldn't let it be done which again only made things worse.

The next night he instructed our kids to stay in our bedroom to watch their favorite show while he talks to me in the basement. We start hashing out our grievances and at some point I tell my husband "I don't feel comfortable telling him when I'm mad at him because then he will get mad at me." He told me that I can't put that on him because he always tells me that I should talk open and honestly with him and that even though he might yell that shouldn't hinder me from doing it anyways. I got annoyed by this remark and I responded to him by telling him he's gaslighting me. Again, this upset him and he reiterated his stance on the situation. I see where he is coming from. AITA for telling my husband he's gaslighting me?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Halloween Jack posted:

This is why I stopped explaining my “no” to a lot of people a long time ago. Someone asked me to help them move recently. I don’t know this person that well and I’ve never asked him for anything and never plan on it. I could’ve started the excuse game of “oh my kid has something that day/I have to work/my back is trash” etc but that always turns in to people trying to poke holes in your reasons. “It’s fine we’ll do it the next day! You don’t have to lift anything heavy!” Etc.

So now I just say no. When they ask why I just say “I just can’t.”

Not to everybody. Some people I’m closer with and know they’re reasonable I’ll give explanations to. But I don’t give them by default anymore.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

When i was hunting for jobs i made the mistake of using linkedin’s “open to new opportunities” feature and two years after finding a new gig (through a friend) and turning that feature off (and checking multiple times that the tick box to control it is set to “off”) I still get emails from recruiters telling me they saw that i have the “open to new opportunities” thingy turned on in my profile.

Same here; I will say that I got my current job from one of two or three recruiters who contacted me on LinkedIn and actually seemed to have read my profile, though.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for losing it on my fiancé for disinviting my stepsisters from our wedding?

quote:

I'm gonna keep it short. I f25 am getting married to my fiance next month, We've had no issues with the wedding planning except the "guest list". Context: I have a large family, I have 2 stepsisters (18, 20) and a biological brother (27) and also a biological sister (30). My fiance argued that the guest list should be cut short and suggested I only invite my "immeditate family", I asked him to elaborate and he suggested excluding my stepsisters. I said no and got upset with him for implying that they're not family, he said "well, This wasn't what I meant..I was just speaking from a technical angle", especially since I didn't include them in the wedding party like MOH and bridesmaids. So he thought they were"unneeded" but I said they are wanted, and will always be wanted and included by me. Well, days ago, my stepsisters called saying my fiancé cancelled their invitations and told them some lie about changing wedding location and telling them they won't be able to come. I was fuming, I went home and started screaming at him, He asked that I hear him out then explained he had no choice since we were required to shorten the list, and he just did my "dirty work for me" since I obviously was looking at the situation from an "emotional angle" and couldn't bring myself to disinvite my stepsisters myself. I called him a hypocrite cause he invited almost 6 of his friends who, as far as I know, aren't immediate family. I told him he hurt my stepsisters by going behind my back and excluding them from y wedding which they've been so excited about. He got up from the couch and yelled that it's our wedding so my stepsisters feelings aren't really that relevant compared to H.I.S and called me controlling for wanting my way or the highway. He took his phone amd stormed out to see his friends. Some of his friends called to "scold" me for how I'm treating "their brother"and then went on about how rude I was to suggestthat "their brother" disinvite them from the wedding just because I don't like them and called it "a you problem". My fmil called and is wanting to sleak to me, he probably told her what's going on and she is probably going to ask that I apologize for yelling.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for losing it on my fiancé for disinviting my stepsisters from our wedding?

Imagine thinking emotionally about your wedding. :nallears:

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

Reddit conclusion (rightly so) ABORT !!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Danaru posted:

Yeah same except instead of wanting power i just wanted forgiveness for crushing a nest of baby birds on a dare

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

quantumwell posted:

Reddit conclusion (rightly so) ABORT !!

Too late, he's already been born

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

This is why I stopped explaining my “no” to a lot of people a long time ago. Someone asked me to help them move recently. I don’t know this person that well and I’ve never asked him for anything and never plan on it. I could’ve started the excuse game of “oh my kid has something that day/I have to work/my back is trash” etc but that always turns in to people trying to poke holes in your reasons. “It’s fine we’ll do it the next day! You don’t have to lift anything heavy!” Etc.

So now I just say no. When they ask why I just say “I just can’t.”

Not to everybody. Some people I’m closer with and know they’re reasonable I’ll give explanations to. But I don’t give them by default anymore.
Good idea. "No." is a complete sentence.

AITA for not letting my son on his console on school days?

quote:

At Christmas, my wife and I bought my son a PS5, but only under the conditions he could only use it Fri, Sat, Sun. He says he wants to play on it more often so he can keep up to date with new releases in the game and play online with his friends, but I would rather he focuses on his schoolwork with some big exams coming up for him. He’s been getting good grades recently and I don’t want to jeopardise that. AITA?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

Very confused at OP being voted an rear end in a top hat by Redd- oh, never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Invisible Clergy posted:

That's just normal parenting, but given the context I'm gonna bet they end up estranged over something they've left out