Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Potsticker posted:

Thank you. This part in the OP is what had me thinking it was the other way:
Item drops will vary +/- a few points of the highest Light level item you own. Note this item doesn't need to be equipped or even on your person, it can be in the Vault (storage) and it will still count for the calculation.

Because that sounds like you only need one single highest light item, but then the next sentence is:
So save your highest-Light level items until you're to a higher light level.

which uses "items" plural which is where I started to second guess myself.

for the climb from 1350 to 1500 it was purely the single highest item you have, but from 1500 and up it's now based on the average of all your gear slots. So you want to keep your highest in each slot to keep your average up.

so like lets say you have 1510 gear all around, except your boots which are 1511 and your gloves which are 1509. So your overall average is 1510. You get a tier 1 powerful drop, which will drop +1 from your average, so at 1511.

So for most slots, it'll be a +1 increase, but if it drops for your gloves, it'll look like a +2 gain. If it's for your boots, it won't give you any gains at all!

if you use the Destiny Item Manager app/website, you can see your highest possible level, and how each slot is contributing to that (ie. if they're above or below the average)

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Pyramid raid may be the best thing Bungie has ever done aesthetically, they absolutely killed it with the area design, backdrops, and weapons.

The fights are also very mobile, in contrast to the 'stand in a well and shoot' fights in a lot of the previous raids, and they are a ton of fun.

I'm glad they put in Preservation both to show off the area and let people lightly dip their toe in the symbology mechanics before touching the raid itself.

Witch Queen has been stellar, hell of an expansion.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I feel like I may not still be understanding, because this doesn't seem to say what Pinnacle activities are? That appears to me to just the place that pinnacle items are in the tier list?

edit: I'm at 1505 light rn so like last week was when I was first earning powerful rewards.

People posted a lot of :words: but they could have just linked to this site:
https://www.blueberries.gg/leveling/destiny-2-max-power-level/

I recommend clicking around blueberries.gg a bit. It's a really good resource for learning the basics of Destiny.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Got my first Vow clear this evening, a really fun raid with a kickass final boss but holy macaroni the first event is a snooze fest

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like the first encounter, but I've always liked puzzle/mechanics encounters more than pumping ~max deeps~ into a bullet sponge boss.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Every encounter in VoG is so boring I have no idea what people saw in it. Idc about the novelty either. People say Leviathan is the worst but there you at least do something and have to think.

Garden can get repeti5 but it's better than those two. All the others are cool and fun.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Elerion posted:

People posted a lot of :words: but they could have just linked to this site:
https://www.blueberries.gg/leveling/destiny-2-max-power-level/

I recommend clicking around blueberries.gg a bit. It's a really good resource for learning the basics of Destiny.

I'm very thankful for all the words. I got to play quite a bit today and had a lot of fun hunting the EDZ of all its region chests while I did bounties and public quests and such for the Week 3 quests.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gatekeeper is fun if you're part of the relay race, imo.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

RBX posted:

Every encounter in VoG is so boring I have no idea what people saw in it. Idc about the novelty either. People say Leviathan is the worst but there you at least do something and have to think.

Garden can get repeti5 but it's better than those two. All the others are cool and fun.

Back in its day VoG was amazing and universally considered the best thing about year 1, you have to remember that there was nothing like it outside of hotkey-based mmos on PC. The atmosphere was something else too, you could enter from the surface of Venus and you just keep going deeper and deeper. Of course it does feel like Bungie's first raid in many ways, but it's still a special raid to a lot of people

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Potsticker posted:

Thank you. This part in the OP is what had me thinking it was the other way:
Item drops will vary +/- a few points of the highest Light level item you own. Note this item doesn't need to be equipped or even on your person, it can be in the Vault (storage) and it will still count for the calculation.

Because that sounds like you only need one single highest light item, but then the next sentence is:
So save your highest-Light level items until you're to a higher light level.

which uses "items" plural which is where I started to second guess myself.

Thank you for this, I'll be sure to clear this and the vendors/bounties and powerful/pinnacle sections when I write up the DIM guide

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Eej posted:

There is nothing at all engaging about FFXIV matchmade raid content lol
When compared to WoW LFR and Destiny 2 matchmade content? But either way I've had a ton of fun doing normal raids and trials in XIV and for the last 2-3 expansion the mechanics have felt decently challenging while being fairly easy to understand and totally possible to learn on the fly as an individual.

From what i can tell, even the EX trials and some of the savage raids are still quite manageable without comms because not every fight leans on a crutch of "what if players need to call out things only they see."

blunderheart
Jul 1, 2021

Looks like r/RaidSecrets just finished reassembling the encoded lore pages from the The Witch Queen's Collector's Edition ARG materials! I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but as ever I'm glad there are people with more money and brain cells to spend on getting/figuring this stuff out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/raidsecrets/comments/taadrm/witch_queen_circles_arg_solved_30_pages_of_ikoras/

Elerion
May 31, 2011

blunderheart posted:

Looks like r/RaidSecrets just finished reassembling the encoded lore pages from the The Witch Queen's Collector's Edition ARG materials! I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but as ever I'm glad there are people with more money and brain cells to spend on getting/figuring this stuff out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/raidsecrets/comments/taadrm/witch_queen_circles_arg_solved_30_pages_of_ikoras/

That's nuts.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So Savathûn's real plan all along was to escape to the real world so she could bully Paul Tassi on twitter, got it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Heads up

https://twitter.com/bungie/status/1501650651071361028?s=21

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

blunderheart posted:

It is ridiculous that the the line "So it chose an act of unreasonable grace." makes me emotional about a white floating orb but it does. good read imo

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/1501679766029623298?s=20&t=4F-fHDRlMdrHhY2KyGzuiA

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Worthless opinion on raids from someone who quit:

My main problem with a raid is needing unbroken, focused blocks of time. I almost never have several hours to just do one thing, and that's what a raid demands. And if you bail, or need to take a break, you've wasted the time of five other people. Hopefully they can grab someone else, or are good enough to go on a player down, but it's still a factor. I don't want to feel guilty for letting teammates down while playing a video game.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Failson posted:

Worthless opinion on raids from someone who quit:

My main problem with a raid is needing unbroken, focused blocks of time. I almost never have several hours to just do one thing, and that's what a raid demands. And if you bail, or need to take a break, you've wasted the time of five other people. Hopefully they can grab someone else, or are good enough to go on a player down, but it's still a factor. I don't want to feel guilty for letting teammates down while playing a video game.

most raids are sub 1hr long. The biggest part is learning, but once you figure out the raid and everyone is speaking the same callout language... raids go pretty quick. I was doing DSC with my group in 40 minutes regularly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah, if you have a dedicated group of friends who play together every week then raids are sub 1-hour. Most people don’t have that, and raids take 2-4 hours.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The worst part of being the new guy on the raid is someone giving a 15 minute explanation of the fight describing a bunch of very important minutiae to a person that has no idea what’s going on. Normalize doing it live, commit to a couple ‘learning wipes’ so the new player can witness the chaos and use it as a teaching experience. The wipes are gonna happen anyways, might as well help build a context for the incoming instructions.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

xzzy posted:

The worst part of being the new guy on the raid is someone giving a 15 minute explanation of the fight describing a bunch of very important minutiae to a person that has no idea what’s going on. Normalize doing it live, commit to a couple ‘learning wipes’ so the new player can witness the chaos and use it as a teaching experience. The wipes are gonna happen anyways, might as well help build a context for the incoming instructions.

it's true. going on and on about whatever is pointless. you're gonna wipe the first time you do something. just embrace the wipes as teaching experiences instead of thinking someone can explain something and then expect a total newbie to understand and execute it perfectly. players forget what it was like to do a raid for the first time and don't understand that they have an advantage from running it dozens of times that even someone on their 2nd or 3rd run just isn't gonna have. I'd like to think it's simply this ignorance (rather than a desire for cruelty) that leads to lots of toxic mindsets in raids. you can't min/max human beings

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 10, 2022

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

xzzy posted:

this is how I teach them

start with goal "we need to do x"

ok fight

then work backwards from the victory condition, explaining *only* their role (some fights let you basically stick the new guardian in a shoot things position, some have a very narrow list they need to execute)

ok fight

repeat

15 minute explanations of everything going on in a fight are massively counter productive, plus these days people can look up endless videos of 15 minute explanations ahead of time

it also helps to mix in a few newbies with mostly vets, that way the amount of total party confusion is limited

I've never had an issue doing it this way and it works on most fights very quickly outside the mechanically demanding encounters that require specific actions from all players (but even on those their role can be boiled down to one set of things they need to think about and do)

you also get some genuinely funny moments doing it like this, clearing the encounter while the newbie panics, keeps things entertaining for the weekly farmers

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Agree 1,000% I prefer to be the raid leader because nothing kills my enjoyment of Destiny faster than someone just endlessly reciting the strat from the video they watched. Explaining a raid to someone whose never done it is like trying to explain what a car is to someone by explaining all the individual pieces of a car. You need to experience it all at once for anything to have context.

Someone tried to big dog me in a raid last night by saying “well I’ve been running this dungeon all weekend, that’s not how I have been doing it…” dude it’s existed for 36 hours chill the gently caress out try new things, literally no one has an optimized and perfected strat yet, we can’t even agree on names

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I try to give a 2 sentence high level overview, and then work through the parts that new players miss. It's not perfect though, as back during the GoS era I had some people that I taught and then did regular raids with after but they learned _just_ their role and we had a bit of a suffer party when we needed those people to take up a different role. It wasn't too bad.

I look forward to the teaching cycle for Vow. I think some of the stuff is going to be teach (like the symbol names... that's just memorization for most of them), but the raid is really fun.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The only way I completed Spire of Stars was a team that did a 'Kill Dudes' run, then explained the mechanics, then did a few more runs once we had taken everything in visually.

"Okay, huddle up, I'll explain what's going on. Big dude? Don't care. Small dudes, they die. Just keep killing poo poo until it's time to Hot Potato, and listen to the callouts."

It was a team of 4 first-time clears, myself included, and we ended with a one-phase kill using Wardcliff cheese. It was one of the most informative times I'd ever played a raid and I miss those guys.

We have a raid team now with a guy from India who is one of the flat-out best raiders I've played with, got my Day One clear on DSC and week 1 clear on VOG with him. He does it a lot similar for new raiders, and has the patience of a saint when it comes to detailing mechanics and gauging strengths on the team during play.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I keep my explanations extremely short and then say "okay, learn by doing" and starting the encounter. If there are any questions afterwards, I take time to answer them and clarify whatever I didn't go over initially. These are what I've come up with for Vow:

First Encounter: Go get the things to move the car. There are some nodes we'll need to break for the secret chest.

Second Encounter: Three teams of two, each team has one defender and one hunter. A symbol tells you where to go to kill a guy, then two other symbols tell you where to go to kill another guy. The other guy drops a symbol that you'll need to shoot later. Also, Unstoppable Champions are here.

Third Encounter: Two people go get symbols to shoot, two people clear adds, two people bully a giant librarian. DPS starts from the direction the guy walks up.

Fourth Encounter: Super Calvinball. Kill some hobgoblins so you can kill some guys who drop some symbols that only half of your team can see. Find the common symbols to open the door. There's a laser you'll need to kill a guy to extend your timer, and the Vault of Glass and Last Wish artifacts are here and do the same things.

Final Encounter: Alternates between "kill some guys to spawn symbols" and "shoot some rocks so you can suck energy out of a laser to put in the correct symbol repository". Then, you break a stick and steal more laser energy to put in more symbol repositories. After that, you break the boss's legs to enter the DPS phase. Blow your Supers early unless he's close to the Last Stand, in which case you should hold them until Last Stand starts.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, I just completed Shadowkeep and Beyond Light. Some thoughts.

Shadowkeep: It exists.

Beyond Light: Stasis is pretty fun, even if the whole Darkness communion thing has the same energy as a back to school special, where you try to get in with the kids that smoke weed after school and the Ghost is your concerned friend. I have to ask; did they originally not explain the Stranger's entire deal in the short bio that appears when you talk to a character? Though that doesn't explain that they also literally explain her entire deal before you do the final communion in the quest text, and her explaining where she came from is treated as this big reveal. Is this a weird time travel joke? :psyduck: The more I think about it the more I feel like I just had a stroke.

Also, I think I like Statis, and I expected to grind for Fragments, but I did not realize I start with absolutely nothing. If I like the powers well enough, is it worth it to try and unlock some of them before Witch Queen?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 10, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you like Stasis you should grind out the powers because having all the fragments and aspects gives you the flexibility that Stasis is known for. That being said Void has the same system and is bonkers good without the grind which feels kinda bad for Stasis users.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Eej posted:

If you like Stasis you should grind out the powers because having all the fragments and aspects gives you the flexibility that Stasis is known for. That being said Void has the same system and is bonkers good without the grind which feels kinda bad for Stasis users.

In the Collector's Edition book, Ikora talks about how Stasis was seen as 'fun' and 'new' for Guardians, and wondered how she could convince them that Light could be the same way.

She found a way: make it just as open to adaptation and personality as Stasis is. Let the Light adapt. And now everyone is using Void again, and we are set for Solar/Arc changes coming soon.

Grandmaster move on her part.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Unlucky7 posted:

I have to ask; did they originally not explain the Stranger's entire deal in the short bio that appears when you talk to a character? Though that doesn't explain that they also literally explain her entire deal before you do the final communion in the quest text, and her explaining where she came from is treated as this big reveal. Is this a weird time travel joke? :psyduck: The more I think about it the more I feel like I just had a stroke.

I don't remember exactly what the Stranger's bio says, but the Stranger's deal has been a weird lore knot since Destiny 1. She was originally introduced in a mystifying sequence of cutscenes that explained so much less than nothing that it was more confusing having watched them than not. They didn't revisit and develop her story beyond a few hints and mentions here and there until Beyond Light, six years later. Even the devs acknowledge what a mess it was; the exotic name "No Time To Explain" is taken from one of her more infamous lines ("I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain").

So yeah, it's unclear how much of the Stranger is deliberately obtuse as intended, deliberately obtuse as a joke, accidentally obtuse, or not intended to be obtuse but is anyway because it's referencing a long-forgotten story thread the reader may or may not be familiar with and may or may not be accessible in-game at any given moment.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 10, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Eej posted:

I have been using Void and it is good except for all the times I completely whiff my shield throw (Playing as a Titan, btw). Small, but kind of maddening, to be honest.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Stasis Titan has a very strong gameplay loop that involves having a weapon with Headstone to start an endless parade of grenades, ice spears, infinite overshield and damage reduction. It's fun!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

We've taken the brave step to suspend sales to a region that's been cut off from any financial transactions for at least a week. Had to make sure to try and squeeze that last sale in first.

I'll take the emblem though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do like that they kept the theme of Superheroes with Titan and this new Subclass

Arc - Hulk
Void - Captain America
Solar - Thor
Stasis - Kool Aid Man

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Vow is good but Rhulk is like... Comically forgiving. Not a complaint!

The Exhibition is probably the only challenging part of the raid

I'm glad you get 2 free Resonant Weapons per week but Holy cow I didn't expect there to be two NEW crafting resources, specific to crafting Vow Guns

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Having a hard time wrapping my head around Volatile Rounds as a Titan. Feels like I should be using a void primary and Elemental Armaments with Volatile Flow, right? What void primaries are decent for this? What fragments should I be taking? Is it worth it trying to use Well of Tenacity at the same time?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Le Monarque? Graviton Lance? Ruinous Effigy? Funnelweb? Good ol' Gnawing Hunger? It depends on whether you can spare an exotic slot and what anti-champion mods you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

Having a hard time wrapping my head around Volatile Rounds as a Titan. Feels like I should be using a void primary and Elemental Armaments with Volatile Flow, right? What void primaries are decent for this? What fragments should I be taking? Is it worth it trying to use Well of Tenacity at the same time?

My favorite mods to run as a Sentinel are

Reaping Wellmaker as the generator, since barriers/high resilience are handy and Bastion barricades are OP

Volatile Flow, Well of Tenacity and Font of Might as the spenders

Elemental Time Dilation to extend the duration of all 3 above! This could also be swapped out for another Generator since more wells = more uptime. Either elemental armaments or elemental ordnance is great!