Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

There's blowback going on right now. Biden is approaching Maduro and the Grand Ayatollah, hat in hand, asking nicely for them to please sell us oil or trade them for dollars. We'll get rid of those nasty sanctions if you'll help us keep the price of crude down.

World is going topsy turvy. Russia is threatening the first world order, and we're scrambling to keep too many countries from dedollarizing - or begging the countries we tried excluding from the petrodollar to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yep I hope Iran takes them for trillions.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The Iran deal showed quite clearly that US promises are written in sand.

That doesn't mean Iran and Venezuela won't take a deal if it means being released from the stranglehold even for a year or two, though.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's blowback going on right now. Biden is approaching Maduro and the Grand Ayatollah, hat in hand, asking nicely for them to please sell us oil or trade them for dollars. We'll get rid of those nasty sanctions if you'll help us keep the price of crude down.

also the UAE and MBS both have been dodging Biden’s calls lately

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sephyr posted:

That doesn't mean Iran and Venezuela won't take a deal if it means being released from the stranglehold even for a year or two, though.

If it means their assets are unfrozen and they get to trade oil openly, it's an incredibly good deal.

Centrist Committee posted:

also the UAE and MBS both have been dodging Biden’s calls lately

Yeah, this would definitely not be happening without Saudi Arabia choosing OPEC over NATO.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sephyr posted:

Massive lol at Guaido being the big loser

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nothus posted:

Yeah.

He mentioned blowback. The rest of this century is going to be unintentional blowback.

this great news for noah kulwin and brendan james

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If it means their assets are unfrozen and they get to trade oil openly, it's an incredibly good deal.

While it lasts.

They better use that time to stock up on essential stuff and divesting their dollar-dependent sectors favorably, because the hammer is coming back down the moment the GOP takes back power/they get too chummy with China/Democrats want to be seen as tough brave boys.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah I wonder what the long term effects will be for the Europeans when the rich and powerful who aren’t in the European camp start to pull out because they realize their wealth isn’t safe.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

russia invades ukraine -> ??? -> i get to finally cycle iran on a 90-day tourist visa in 2023

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Russia invading Ukraine finally made people in DC look at a map. Nobody there really realized how big Eurasia was before that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVX-PrBRtTY

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I listened to the latest episode twice. I like this guest even if he ends up being wrong, and like others have mentioned he contradicted himself a few times. He still made a strong case that this thing is going on for the long haul because no one can or has to back down, perhaps least of all Russia

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
using contradictions seems a bit off, more of thinking through the possibility space and determining what are the viable options.

then again, i suppose that contradictions are at the heart of this whole thing. the us wants to make demands and elide responsibility for the consequences. putin has been calculating and careful for decades only to launch an invasion. germany wants to defend and rally it’s EU counterparts into rebuking russian aggression while also getting a deal on natural gas from russia.

the outcome seems to be reliant on whatever side blinks first.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

hadji murad posted:

Yeah I wonder what the long term effects will be for the Europeans when the rich and powerful who aren’t in the European camp start to pull out because they realize their wealth isn’t safe.

going by my local twitter, euros are still very gung-ho about sanctioning energy, as they believe it will even help curb climate change in the long run, but these are the same who were asking for nuclear intervention and i wonder if when prices go up they wont immediately start pivoting on a proxy war

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Phone posted:

the outcome seems to be reliant on whatever side blinks first.

I see no indication anyone is going to blink until ww3 is over

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The first person to blink is looking directly into the flash.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

going by my local twitter, euros are still very gung-ho about sanctioning energy, as they believe it will even help curb climate change in the long run, but these are the same who were asking for nuclear intervention and i wonder if when prices go up they wont immediately start pivoting on a proxy war

On my end (also Portuguese) there's at least one guy going on how the only people complaining are in the major cities and how everyone should just put on more sweaters, when he lives in technically an interior town with a direct bus route and doesn't go out much. Nearly every other lefty is trying to remind their audience that a PCP/be proposal to curb price gouging in gas was blocked months ago by nearly every other major party in government as the centre right's tv pet economist is finally begging for measures like that.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Kunster posted:

On my end (also Portuguese) there's at least one guy going on how the only people complaining are in the major cities and how everyone should just put on more sweaters, when he lives in technically an interior town with a direct bus route and doesn't go out much. Nearly every other lefty is trying to remind their audience that a PCP/be proposal to curb price gouging in gas was blocked months ago by nearly every other major party in government as the centre right's tv pet economist is finally begging for measures like that.
they prob think that all the semi-tall buildings makes heating isolation work better

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I listened to the latest episode twice. I like this guest even if he ends up being wrong, and like others have mentioned he contradicted himself a few times. He still made a strong case that this thing is going on for the long haul because no one can or has to back down, perhaps least of all Russia

I liked at the end when he mentioned he finished his wine. Probably what hanging out at some intellectual bar is like or something.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1502079956855103490?s=20&t=U8TsfLBUb8C0i45h0IWo7w

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The first person to blink is looking directly into the flash.

I hope they blink before I do
and I hope I never get sober

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you don't have to be the fastest person to outrun the nuke, you just have to be faster than the next guy

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Latest episode was good, helped me better understand how Russia is working around the sanctions. The point Ben made about how the increased prices from sanctions would only give Russia a larger surplus, just through non-dollar means was pretty eye opening and made the sanctions seem pretty self defeating.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mayman10 posted:

Latest episode was good, helped me better understand how Russia is working around the sanctions. The point Ben made about how the increased prices from sanctions would only give Russia a larger surplus, just through non-dollar means was pretty eye opening and made the sanctions seem pretty self defeating.

Sanctions have always been self-defeating because it encourages the retention of a national bourgeois, and keeps local elites invested into their national economy. Russian oligarchs were still dumping a ton of wealth into the west just in case Putin ever started looking at them sideways, but now they're totally cut off. This could be the first time we've ever seen something resembling a capitalist Juche, since Russia is totally cut off from the First World.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sanctions have always been self-defeating because it encourages the retention of a national bourgeois, and keeps local elites invested into their national economy. Russian oligarchs were still dumping a ton of wealth into the west just in case Putin ever started looking at them sideways, but now they're totally cut off. This could be the first time we've ever seen something resembling a capitalist Juche, since Russia is totally cut off from the First World.

Really good points. They mentioned something similar about Russia being a special case with how they'll actually be able to respond and affect consumers here in a meaningful way.

Any thoughts on how the Russian bourgeois is going to be affected by the possible seizure and nationalization of Western assets? I imagine it would strengthen the power the state has in the economy and reduce the power of the bourgeois, unless the assets are sold off to oligarchs of course.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kunster posted:

what a great time it would be for the jet stream to slow or collapse

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mayman10 posted:

Really good points. They mentioned something similar about Russia being a special case with how they'll actually be able to respond and affect consumers here in a meaningful way.

Any thoughts on how the Russian bourgeois is going to be affected by the possible seizure and nationalization of Western assets? I imagine it would strengthen the power the state has in the economy and reduce the power of the bourgeois, unless the assets are sold off to oligarchs of course.

Last I heard those assets are being managed by a government bureau, with no near term plans to auction them off. AFAIK it's the government taking over payroll so laborers can keep working.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I know it’s a week old now but I love that johns first instinct once the war kicked off was to think ‘oh wow I better read the white guard again to get a handle in things’

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They’ve been kinda quiet since the war began, only like one show.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
They did an emergency ep at the end of February and then two episodes the first week of March, when the war first started, which is unusual for them. Mark likes to jam them up at the end of the month.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

john's doing as much civil war research as ukraine stuff in his free time as well, it looks like. we should probably expect them to alternate between

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

skooma512 posted:

They’ve been kinda quiet since the war began, only like one show.
mark too busy huffing that copium

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

John lost his phone and laptop in that taxi, so who knows how far it set him back or if they got em back

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah but imagine how bad it would be if it had been his war poetry books

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The new newsletter is John's overview of The White Guard, and it's a stupendous read.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The new newsletter is John's overview of The White Guard, and it's a stupendous read.

I'm really glad Dolan has found some stability and success doing the podcast, but I miss reading him a lot. His stuf fwas half the reason I devoured the old Exile whenever it came out. His book reviews in particular.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
New episode about the Ukraine War and the Chechen wars. Sounds good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The most interesting part of this episode for me was the insight into the makeup and changes in the autocrats supporting Putin. I think this is the FT article they mentioned going into some of it. The TLDR seems to be: starting in 2012 or so Putin dumped the more-international ultralibs and brought in more nationalistic pure autocratic types.