Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

A NICKEL FOR YOUR THOUGHTS?

Once upon a time, America’s money was based on real value that could be held in one’s hand. A dollar is still defined in the Constitution as a silver coin containing 371.25 grains of pure silver. Gold and silver coins or currency backed by gold and silver were the only legal tender.

Fiat money notes were forbidden. When our country was founded, a solitary cent (commonly called a ‘penny’ today) was a substantial slab of solid copper. (Today a cent is zinc disc with a thin layer of copper on the outside.) A nickel, also known as a ‘half dime’ in the 1800s always had some copper in it. During WWII there was a nickel shortage and so the nickels were actually 35 percent silver and the rest copper.

How things have changed. Money has become a sad parody of its original forbears. Our money has, in a way, become wooden nickels. We have been swindled. Congress illegally turned over its right to regulate money over to private, globalist bankers. The Federal Reserve now prints currency like madmen. It benefits the billionairiat—you know, the people at Davos. The WEF. The oligarchy that owns the central banks and the Federal Reserve. Their currency doesn’t even have to be printed. It can be created electronically and it’s backed by nothing but debt. It has allowed us to be ruled by an unelected cabal of globalist tyrants. It has turned our citizens and future generations into slaves.

What does this all have to do with today’s nickel, you may ask? Our five cent coin is now worth a dime, thanks to its nickel content. To be sure, nickel is considered a commodity just like silver. The latter precious metal was stripped from our coins under the Johnson administration. Will they remove the nickel from our nickels? They already did that during WWII. A nickel shortage forced the US Mint to coin the nickels using mixture of silver and copper. That won’t happen again. More likely our nickels will become zinc discs. If they do that, why have cents or nickels at all? The pesky change would be nearly worthless, but they’ll continue to inflict the annoyance on us because the globalists are also sadists. They love making a mockery of our formerly real money.

Recently nickel prices doubled. A Chinese bank built a massive nickel short position and it blew up on them. They couldn’t cover. The London Metal Exchange (LME) halted trading to sort things out. It’s all being papered over now, but it shows you what can and should happen when real money gets suppressed.

We’ve seen silver prices rigged by the central banks for decades. There was a glimmer of hope for silver back in 2011. It was said that JP Morgan was in deep trouble with their derivative short positions on silver. If silver eclipsed $50 per ounce (and it looked like it would) JP Morgan could have gone under. Of course, the banksters weren’t about to allow that to happen. Instead, they collusively and illegally shorted massive amounts of silver that didn’t exist. The price collapsed back down to $13 a few years later. Many of of stackers thought we’d get rich by means of silver. Instead, we got crushed. JP Morgan had to pay a fine later one, but big deal. They and Goldman Sachs have access to a printing press. As it turned out, Bitcoin was the place to be. The latter was not ‘riggable’ by the central bankers.

A friend said he was going to hoard five cent coins because of the value of the nickel inside. The metal value is higher than That sounds like a great move, but how does one sell a nickel coin for its nickel content? A nickel coin is 75 percent copper and 25 percent nickel. It’s worth a dime, but if ones spends it they will only receive the printed face value, just like a monetized silver coin. It clearly says “ONE DOLLAR” on a Silver Eagle, even though any coin store will charge you for the silver content along with a hefty premium. Take it to a bank or spend it at a supermarket and you’ll get one buck for it if they accept it at all. Try telling the IRS that your silver is only worth its stated face value—they will insist you pay the investment value. They’ll say your Silver Eagle is worth the metal content, not the face value. The tyrants want it both ways. What a wicked web was weaved when we abandoned constitutional money.

We can try melting our nickels down, but that would require a smelter. Who knows how much that would cost, so for now the metal value in a nickel coin will go unrealized.

As for the price of silver, one can only hope we’ll see another dramatic rise, but right now the shorts are still in control. When it comes to precious metal, paper covers rock. Federal Reserve paper cannot cover Bitcoin, however. That’s why our political puppets are so eager to remedy that situation.

— Ben Garrison

"Once upon a time, America’s money was based on real value that could be held in one’s hand."
[...]
"As it turned out, Bitcoin was the place to be."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

quote:

A dollar is still defined in the Constitution as a silver coin containing 371.25 grains of pure silver.
What?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It's really well-preserved that's very cool!

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

cryptocurrency famously unpopular in investment circles, because it always retains the same value and doesn't go up or down at all

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Skeleton Mom posted:

cryptocurrency famously unpopular in investment circles, because it always retains the same value and doesn't go up or down at all

I mean, that's attributing a level of thought that Ben is genuinely incapable of. Libs hate it so good, libs like it so bad is as far as he gets.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Knight:

Dyson:

Pope:

Prime Minister’s office bans media filming him visiting flood-hit homes in Lismore during tour (7News)

Wilcox:

Shakespeare:

Scott Morrison had Covid which I don't think was in prior cartoons.

Leak, Son of Leak:

In a pitch to business, Anthony Albanese has pledged to govern like Bob Hawke (SBS). Albanese said he wanted to "rediscover the spirit of consensus" shown by previous Labor PMs Bob Hawke and Paul Keating (Hawke liked beer, Keating liked clocks).

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coinage_Act_of_1792

Obviously, it's wrong.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
For someone who claims to love the Constitution so much, you think Ben would actually have, you know, read it, or at least know what things are in it. But I guess he'd rather be that Onion article, Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

For someone who claims to love the Constitution so much, you think Ben would actually have, you know, read it, or at least know what things are in it. But I guess he'd rather be that Onion article, Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be.

What Nick Fuentes Has Told Him Is In The Constitution

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Sell a nickel for 10 cents
Convert the 10 cents to 2 nickels
Repeat for infinite money

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it's one of those things that people who don't believe the fed is legitimate say. They combine sections of article 1 section's 8 and 10

quote:

(the congress shall have the power ) To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

and

quote:

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

along with a passing mention in section 9

quote:

The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.

to basically assume several things;

#1: The dollar is the legally defined currency of the country. The constitution doesn't actually define what a dollar is, but they claim it's because everyone knew that a dollar meant a Spanish silver dollar, which had 371.25 grains of silver in weight. The Problem is that, at least at time of writing, the Spanish silver dollar was supposed to have 387 grams of silver in it, but when when checked they actually averaged around 370 grams, so that's the amount of silver used in the coinage act of 1792.

#2: Because it was commonly known that A dollar would equal 371.25 grams of silver despite it not supposed to be to be that and the fact that it's never actually defined anywhere in the constitution, congress has no rights to change the value without constitutional amendment because...magic? They claim that "regulate the value of" doesn't mean "change the currency in anyway" but instead "change the exchange rate value of it compared to other currencies.

#3: You can't make fiat money or other bills of credit/paper dollars because the constitution doesn't directly say it when a previous draft did that's the law.

it's basically combining strict literalism of the constitution with "I want to believe this so I'm going to make it say what I want it to say" and ignoring the fact that it's not saying what they want it to say

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

readingatwork posted:

OK so is surrogacy a right wing culture war thing I’m just not aware of? This is a particularly weird take even for Ishida:

https://twitter.com/bitterkarella/status/1501606259132227588?s=21

My best guess is that conservatives noticed that surrogacy let’s gay people have kids so it must be bad by default.

This flavor of anti-surrogacy is tied into the SWERF mindset, though I don't have a source at-hand. Both sex work and surrogacy is a (cis) woman selling her body because she's a victim of the patriarchy and has been reduced to just her reproductive organs. This is why it's directly compared to sex work, because it's the same thing to someone with this outlook.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
https://twitter.com/mluckovichajc/status/1501684101199376392

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Lisa Benson

Steve Breen

Tim Campbell

Stuart Carlson

Jeff Danziger

I don't think Karl Marx ever sent in the tanks.

Al Goodwyn

Walt Handelsman

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Mike Lester

Jack Ohman

Henry Payne

Joel Pett

Marshall Ramsey

Rob Rogers

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Tom Stiglich

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Matt Wuerker

Tony Branco

quote:

Go Get Em’ Biden is all talk, the master of talking tough but nothing to show for it but disaster.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

That hat is so bad the concept of art itself should be offended.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

GAS PRICES

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst Caricature (of a hat)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Piss Tape is real, and has awoken to kill again!

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
So these people specifically chose to spend their money at Tyrant Oil?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There;s a lot of opposite of reality bullshit:

https://twitter.com/badler/status/1501688787684020229?s=20&t=WkH6Uu1-q0I9CEeWUXU_dw

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Very informative, would read again. :five:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Mercury Hat posted:

This flavor of anti-surrogacy is tied into the SWERF mindset, though I don't have a source at-hand. Both sex work and surrogacy is a (cis) woman selling her body because she's a victim of the patriarchy and has been reduced to just her reproductive organs. This is why it's directly compared to sex work, because it's the same thing to someone with this outlook.

Adding to this, there are some instances when surrogacy can be exploitative, especially when it's involves women from developing countries (the book The Red Market by Scott Carney covers some of this). However Ishida makes no distinction for this, in his worldview something is either good or bad full-stop.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The_Other posted:

Adding to this, there are some instances when surrogacy can be exploitative, especially when it's involves women from developing countries (the book The Red Market by Scott Carney covers some of this). However Ishida makes no distinction for this, in his worldview something is either good or bad full-stop.

I mean, yeah, that's swerf logic. Sex workers are often exploited, therefore sex work is inherently bad and anyone who chooses sex work is a bad person. And that's why we need to pass laws to stop sex workers protecting themselves from exploitation.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

I mean, yeah, that's swerf logic. Sex workers are often exploited, therefore sex work is inherently bad and anyone who chooses sex work is a bad person. And that's why we need to pass laws to stop sex workers protecting themselves from exploitation.

I could get down with this if we apply it to all labour. Just outlaw working in general.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

BonHair posted:

I could get down with this if we apply it to all labour. Just outlaw working in general.

Except if you took the same approach as to sex work, you would do this by making unions and co-ops illegal.

Or you make selling labour legal but buying illegal, basically turning what used to be regulated industries into drug cartels.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah that's how you know he's an rear end in a top hat. What's his solution for exploitation? Criminalize the exploited, throw all those whores in jail, the good ones will go get better jobs anyway.

What about the women who can't get a job and have a criminal record now? What are you a commie, get a job!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Why.

Why does the postal service need to turn a profit.

Also, part of this massive overhaul is that it's (from what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong) removing the onerous pension funding requirement added in the Bush administration that makes it appear that the postal service isn't profitable, or at least is much more unprofitable than it is.

Also, just let the postal service run a bank like it does in every other country. Not really related to profitability, just a pet peeve.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah that's how you know he's an rear end in a top hat. What's his solution for exploitation? Criminalize the exploited, throw all those whores in jail, the good ones will go get better jobs anyway.

What about the women who can't get a job and have a criminal record now? What are you a commie, get a job!
Ishida has been super vocal about the Nordic Model, which only criminalizes the purchases of sex work.

Which isn’t much better, if at all, because now the people buying are super paranoia and going to make the sex worker engage in a lot of risky behavior so they don’t get caught. Or worse, kill the sex worker afterwards to cover their tracks.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Vladimir Putin’s extraplanetary view – Russian leader, famous for his enormous table, puts planet in peril"

Telegraph:

McDonald's, Coca-Cola and Starbucks shut down in Russia as iron curtain returns

Independent:

Anger and exhaustion as Ukrainians turned away by UK in Calais

Times:

Evening Standard:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If you make buying sex work illegal, cops are going to raid their places of business looking for criminals. Also confiscate some money while they're there. It doesn't make anyone safer and just gives cops more tools to harass sex workers.

e: also, just, like, arresting your clients isn't very good for making a living.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

BonHair posted:

:hai:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

:laffo: Zyklon Ben actually believes it’s the metal of currency that has ever given them value and not, you know, the governments behind them. Silver dollars were worth a dollar no matter the cost of silver when they were in use too, Ben. Turns out governments say what each denomination is worth, not a speculative market!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If your currency is backed by a specific material the amount of metal does matter, it's just that having a metal backed currency is incredibly stupid . That's why no modern country does it anymore. Spain crashed its own economy when too much gold caused hyper inflation and the Qing Dynasty collapsed because there was not enough silver for most people to pay their taxes properly.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's back to the roots of libertarianism though. Precious metals having inherent value is a core tenant of classic libertarianism. It's incredibly dumb, because outside of jewelry (and electronics recently), gold and silver were used as currency precisely because they didn't actually have any use besides being used for trade. It's just analogue fiat, but libertarians believe it's God given or something.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's like fiat but the guy determining volume of currency is random luck instead of an actual government.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Neito posted:

Why.

Why does the postal service need to turn a profit.

Also, part of this massive overhaul is that it's (from what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong) removing the onerous pension funding requirement added in the Bush administration that makes it appear that the postal service isn't profitable, or at least is much more unprofitable than it is.

Also, just let the postal service run a bank like it does in every other country. Not really related to profitability, just a pet peeve.
The reason is because Republicans hate government services and think everything should be privatized so someone is making money on it for the GLORY OF THE FREE MARKET.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 10, 2022

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah libertarians focus on the scarcity thing with precious metal currency and forget that a major reason for using a scarce material was to make forgery more difficult, rather than simple scarcity value.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Ishida has been super vocal about the Nordic Model, which only criminalizes the purchases of sex work.

Which isn’t much better, if at all, because now the people buying are super paranoia and going to make the sex worker engage in a lot of risky behavior so they don’t get caught. Or worse, kill the sex worker afterwards to cover their tracks.

Oh really

Well it certainly doesn't come through in that retrospective because he draws decriminalization advocates as mindless ravenous zombies, but maybe you're just supposed to understand that he's only for criminalizing clients

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^This used to be the case but these days all the robot lady metaphors for sex workers are woke and bad so who knows what policies he actually supports anymore.

Ok, the Twitter run of Sinfest is done and I think I’ve cracked the core of Ishida’s ideology. Are you ready?

“People who are nice to me on the internet = good
People who get mad at me on the internet = bad”

That’s literally it.

Radfems stared being nice to him so they became the heroic rebellion. Radfems didn’t like sex work so sex workers became robots in need of saving/deprograming… until actual sex workers started yelling at him for his garbage takes at which point all the fembots became woke and it was ok to kill them. Nazis are bad until the day you alienate most of your audience with your TERF poo poo and suddenly Nazis are the only people saying nice things.

He has no true core that he really believes in. Being woke and prostrating yourself on the alter of your privilege for being a man is good because Radfems are nice to him but it’s bad when you do it for being white because the wider left gets mad at him. Gender ambiguity is good until trans people got mad at him and suddenly the binary is ironclad. It’s quite incredible once you really see it and this realization acts as a skeleton key to understanding his work.

E: Also I am waiting with baited breath for the day Ishida to pisses off the 2nd wave feminists and his transformation into the exact opposite of his Radfem self is complete. The day he finally says “gently caress it! All women are sluts and whores after all!” Will be quite the sight to behold.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 10, 2022