Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

runnypoops posted:

When i played star ocean i named my character Tee Hee and it made it seem like characters would randomly break out in girlish laughter

The peak of naming comedy was naming Amarant "homo" in FF9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

JollyBoyJohn posted:

People (me included) love metal gear solid because it was our first exposure to anime, unfortunately its actually better than actual anime so that's why no one came to mgs first and then actively wants to watch bleach or shippoden naruto 3 or whatever the gently caress all that shite is

metal gear solid 2 is not a videogame, its a barometer to find out if a videogame fan is a wanker, if they say its alright but nowhere near the best mgs then they are a good guy, if they try and claim is really meta and deep and next level and the highlight of the series, they are a wank

metal gear solid 3 is the best one, don't need to elaborate on that

metal gear solid 4 doesn't exist to me, i never owned a ps3 and its too old to play now so i dunno, ask someone else

mgs 5 is also a good barometer, if someone slavishly lavishes praise on how its got the best MGS gameplay and is a fantastic action stealth game then they are not real fans of the series and are incapable of criticism

overall metal gear solid is cool and i'd watch a metal gear movie

MGS4 has the best gameplay in the series and it's still fun to play. Shame about everything besides the gameplay though (grafix excepted)

MGS2 is an excellent game even if I wouldn't call it the best in the series.

MGS5 has great stretches of game but it's way too grindy and it far overstays it's welcome. It is hilarious just how openly unfinished it is, though. If I'm remembering correctly, the end boss sequence is structured like: cutscene of metal gear coming to life on the base, reply of the fight against metal gear in the desert (only harder this time!), Followed by a cutscene of metal gear destroyed on the base. Literally stitched together like the end of the radioactive man movie after Milhouse runs away

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

People (me included) love metal gear solid because it was our first exposure to anime, unfortunately its actually better than actual anime so that's why no one came to mgs first and then actively wants to watch bleach or shippoden naruto 3 or whatever the gently caress all that shite is

metal gear solid 2 is not a videogame, its a barometer to find out if a videogame fan is a wanker, if they say its alright but nowhere near the best mgs then they are a good guy, if they try and claim is really meta and deep and next level and the highlight of the series, they are a wank

metal gear solid 3 is the best one, don't need to elaborate on that

metal gear solid 4 doesn't exist to me, i never owned a ps3 and its too old to play now so i dunno, ask someone else

mgs 5 is also a good barometer, if someone slavishly lavishes praise on how its got the best MGS gameplay and is a fantastic action stealth game then they are not real fans of the series and are incapable of criticism

overall metal gear solid is cool and i'd watch a metal gear movie

I only ever played Metal Gear Solid, then a bit of 2 (enough to get the whole vibe) and then recently, whichever one it was that has you running through alleyways that somehow constitutes a warzone? And keeps saying CQC at you aggressively as if it DESPERATELY wants you to ask what it stands for. I dunno which one that one was, but I couldn't be fuckin' bothered with it. I would imagine 5? I'm pretty sure it was called the Phantom Pain. I think my wife even got it for me as a present, which normally would mean purely out of gratitude I would play it all the way through, but that one was just like trying to read a French copy of the owner's manual of a toaster that I don't own. I just couldn't feel anything about it enough to remember it existed.

Anyway, I'm surprised that you say '3 is obviously the best' but then also that the next one is too old to go back to? As I say, I've not played 3, but I'd go back to Metal Gear Solid in a heartbeat, it was so strong, and so good, it was just a classic timeless game. That there is a better one that is obviously and clearly better is surprising, not just because MGS was so good, but because I haven't really heard people say it?

Metal Gear wasn't actually my exposure to Anime, I liked Guyver and Ninja Scrolls and Akira and stuff beforehand, and I always thought the 'Cyborg Ninja' bits were really anime and that they weakened it, but they managed to make it work by lampshading it so hard with Otacon being a massive weeb. I guess the rest of it IS anime, I'd never really thought about it. You're absolutely right though, that it's not really in the same leagues (depths) as most of the Anime shows.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 10, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

!Klams posted:

I only ever played Metal Gear Solid, then a bit of 2 (enough to get the whole vibe) and then recently, whichever one it was that has you running through alleyways that somehow constitutes a warzone? And keeps saying CQC at you aggressively as if it DESPERATELY wants you to ask what it stands for. I dunno which one that one was, but I couldn't be fuckin' bothered with it. I would imagine 5? I'm pretty sure it was called the Phantom Pain. I think my wife even got it for me as a present, which normally would mean purely out of gratitude I would play it all the way through, but that one was just like trying to read a French copy of the owner's manual of a toaster that I don't own. I just couldn't feel anything about it enough to remember it existed.

Anyway, I'm surprised that you say '3 is obviously the best' but then also that the next one is too old to go back to? As I say, I've not played 3, but I'd go back to Metal Gear Solid in a heartbeat, it was so strong, and so good, it was just a classic timeless game. That there is a better one that is obviously and clearly better is surprising, not just because MGS was so good, but because I haven't really heard people say it?

I'm not sure which one you think you played third but it sounds like 4

MGS3 is just really fuckin good and it's mostly crawling around in the jungle eating frogs and being hit on

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Nobody needs to say mgs3 is better than mgs 1 or 2 because it's so obvious if you play the games.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, none of the MGS games are 'fun to play'; they are however extremely good at demonstrating how pretentious Japanese sounds when translated to English.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not sure which one you think you played third but it sounds like 4

MGS3 is just really fuckin good and it's mostly crawling around in the jungle eating frogs and being hit on

Oooooh, is that the one with the old guy, where if you wait long enough he just dies of old age?

I didn't really play that one much at all, just at a friend's house watched him play a little, and he was really down on it, said it was bad, so I never really thought about it again. Certainly I never actually played it myself. Oh, ok, cool, it makes sense that it would be awesome and the best one coz he was a tool.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I just started playing Just Cause 3 because I heard it was a hoot

But I would like this threads opinion for hoot confirmation or denial

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm a staunch hoot denialist

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I am hoot agnostic as I've never played a Just Cause game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, none of the MGS games are 'fun to play'; they are however extremely good at demonstrating how pretentious Japanese sounds when translated to English.

MGSV is the undisputed best third person action game in terms of control and game feel. I've put down so many games because they can't manage the pure fluidity of V's control

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
There's a glitch for constantly applying DEATH in elden ring pvp right now. Not gonna tell you how but I will tell you it is extremely funny

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Gaius Marius posted:

MGSV is the undisputed best third person action game in terms of control and game feel. I've put down so many games because they can't manage the pure fluidity of V's control

I thought MGS4 controlled a little better. I did a full run through of MGS 1 - 5 and I thought 4 controlled a little better. Who knows though, I did switch from a PS controller to a KB + M from 4 to 5 so that could be a factor :can:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Protagonist posted:

There's a glitch for constantly applying DEATH in elden ring pvp right now. Not gonna tell you how but I will tell you it is extremely funny

In that case I'm gonna tell you how:
the incantation Fire's Deadly Sin is bugged to benefit from your right-hand weapon buff. Cast that, then use the weapon that buffs itself with deathblight from its WA. (It's the Eclipse Shotel from Castle Sol))

The bug actually works with weapon buffs, so you can for example kill pve bosses without ever attacking by abusing this bug with a bleed buff on your weapon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Harrow posted:

People like the MGS stories because the games have really good characters. Yeah, weird poo poo happens, but nobody would care if they didn't care about the characters they were happening to.

This is why people at the time were so mad about MGS2's early twist (they wanted more Solid Snake, because they really loved Solid Snake) and why MGS3 is such an effective tragedy (right from the start you know that things aren't going to end well for this lovable dork you're playing as).

This is definitely a big part of it but I think there's a lot that made MGS stand out.

I know when I first played MGS1 my mind was blown by the Codec. It's such a staple of MGS that nobody gives it the credit it deserves but I had played no video game in my life with anything even close to it. I'm honestly disappointed when I watch LPs and people aren't just constantly calling everyone about everything because they all have cool and different things to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXfDSHCEP10

I often see the MGS3 Radio Crew or the MGR Codec crew as examples of why people love those games so much. The ending of MGS2 wouldn't be nearly as unforgettable without the Colonel. It's a great blend of characters and trivia and exposition and atmosphere.

EDIT:

And to be fair to Kojima or whoever wrote some of this, MGS can be very funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhoEdWH-fks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_O4aPvQ_I

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 10, 2022

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
I'm seeing heaps of crytpo game jobs around atm...are scam studios just trying to pump out garbage games with exclusive wands to peddle to whale spenders or some dumb poo poo? Can't quite get my head around it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Metal Gear Solid 2 is not good because its meta and deep, its good because it has a completely different protagonist than advertised and that is a hilarious and ballsy thing to do in a game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Metal Gear is postmodern enough to get discussed by Pynchon of all people so it deserves its cred.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

OK so just cause 3 is confirmed a hoot, this is great

It's spider man with guns, and I get to take over outposts just like far cry but I can zip around and blow everything up

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

It's like if the 3d bionic commando remake were actually good and then also dropped him into coastal Island towns to zip around, this is good!

It's repetitive but on the other hand it's everything I said above and I'm OK with that

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

vudan posted:

I'm seeing heaps of crytpo game jobs around atm...are scam studios just trying to pump out garbage games with exclusive wands to peddle to whale spenders or some dumb poo poo? Can't quite get my head around it.

They aren't planning to actually make any money from players, or at least not enough to recoup their costs.

The people they're scamming / milking for cash here are the gullible cryptobro "investors" who throw money at them when they say they're making a game.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

Metal Gear Solid 2 is not good because its meta and deep, its good because it has a completely different protagonist than advertised and that is a hilarious and ballsy thing to do in a game.

that was hilarious and ballsy yes but, it doesn't make mgs2 good

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

mgs2 was fine at best, the endgame sequence where you just had a sword while snake ventilated everything in sight was p good

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Floodixor posted:

OK so just cause 3 is confirmed a hoot, this is great

It's spider man with guns, and I get to take over outposts just like far cry but I can zip around and blow everything up

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, but apparently my tastes are just completely and utterly diametrically opposed to what Just Cause is trying to do so the games just utterly fail to entrance me. :(

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, but apparently my tastes are just completely and utterly diametrically opposed to what Just Cause is trying to do so the games just utterly fail to entrance me. :(

well what do YOU like

edit also I get it on a fundamental playing process, this is absolutely a series of patterns and I feel like it would appeal to me WAY more if I were 14

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've never gelled with games where you're supposed to make your own fun and in general that sort of adolescent "blow stuff up and it looks cool and then the ninjas attack!!!" spectacle does literally nothing for me, at least not without some kind of hook beyond the spectacle itself. A funny joke, a story, even just some context, I need something to ground me and draw me in.

To use another series as an example, Saints Row 2 still holds up for me because it's got more going on than just spraying poop from the poop truck. But then 3&4 felt like the needle moved in the other direction and while they weren't totally devoid of story suddenly the emphasis was much more explicitly on all the ~wacky antics~ you could get up to.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Yeah open world rampages kinda lost their novelty to me when I was about 15. Now I appreciate open worlds more as a consistent backdrop to stories.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Elden Ring proved open worlds in games can still be compelling but then assassins creed games prove people will buy any old poo poo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Thinking about how much better HFW would have been if it didnt have icons carpeting the entire map

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

MGS as a series is great because it's a bizarrely compelling and incredibly specific combination of unnecessarily deep gameplay combined with tons of similarly unnecessary exposition over the most inconsequential things.

It's basically the perfect game for people who love reading inventory descriptions.

That's where V and Revengeance really stumble IMO. Yeah I know that those are the most widely loved and popular of all the MGS games but they're missing a lot of the heart and charm that the first 1-4 games + PSP spinoffs were built on top of. V in particularly really didn't sit well with me, I hated the open world aspect because it made the series' staple of 'there's twenty different ways into any given area' completely useless and also added a lot of boring traveling or sitting in loading screens between missions.

Also the point a poster made a few pages ago about Revengeance being really cynical - it really felt like an edgy teen's take on the MGS series. Like jesus I'm not going to hold them up as high art or anything but Revengeance read like a really bad fanfic.

roomtone posted:

i never got that depth perception thing

i close one eye and put my hand over it, i can still tell how close and far things are

It's a thing that only really matters like a few feet from your face, past that it's more intuition that your brain uses to determine the distance to an object.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

roomtone posted:

i never got that depth perception thing

i close one eye and put my hand over it, i can still tell how close and far things are

It's obviously an issue in the real world, but I never got the point of the 3DS gimmick, either.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 11, 2022

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Elden Ring proved open worlds in games can still be compelling but then assassins creed games prove people will buy any old poo poo

I feel like rear end Creed's gimmick of (trying to be) fairly historically accurate is wasted on the games themselves. Like they'd make good edutainment games or any other game that isn't rear end creed. My mother loved ancient Egypt and if she was still alive, I'm sure that Origins would have blown her mind.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

I've never gelled with games where you're supposed to make your own fun and in general that sort of adolescent "blow stuff up and it looks cool and then the ninjas attack!!!" spectacle does literally nothing for me, at least not without some kind of hook beyond the spectacle itself. A funny joke, a story, even just some context, I need something to ground me and draw me in.

To use another series as an example, Saints Row 2 still holds up for me because it's got more going on than just spraying poop from the poop truck. But then 3&4 felt like the needle moved in the other direction and while they weren't totally devoid of story suddenly the emphasis was much more explicitly on all the ~wacky antics~ you could get up to.

I get that completely. It does lean into the jokey side of it in the sense that it's quite self aware, and some of the dialogue actually did make me laugh. The fact that it doesn't take itself completely seriously but balances it and doesn't go completely overboard in the other direction to HEY LOOK AT HOW FUCKIN WACKY THIS IS!!! is nice. I feel like later saints row went too far in that direction.

But it's also just dumb fun, and as long as the game doesn't try to pretend it's smart, I can enjoy it.

My favorite games I think are the immersive sims. System Shock 2, deux ex, and the criminally underrated Prey. This proves that I'm actually really smart.

But only the smartest gamers play

XCOM 2

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

In a perfect world I would have left out "XCOM 2" at the end of my post so that Meme Poker Party could swoop in and drop some sick XCOM 2 meme but that's just not the world we live in anymore, sorry guys, sorry everyone

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think my favorite weapons in Elden Ring are the basic bitch ones. I like the look of semi realistic medieval weaponry over some sword that is made out of 50 swords glued together. Plus you can use whatever weapon art you want, any damage type you want, and upgrade them much easier.

Always felt this way about Souls tbh. Give me a maxed out braveheart sword over a giant chicken leg or dragon dick bone or whatever any day of the week.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 12, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ishikabibble posted:

MGS as a series is great because it's a bizarrely compelling and incredibly specific combination of unnecessarily deep gameplay combined with tons of similarly unnecessary exposition over the most inconsequential things.

What makes everyone love Metal Gear is that it's a series that is unabashedly silly but also takes itself totally seriously. That's actually a good combination, because the super-soldier melodrama is a contrast from the gameplay that occasionally outright acknowledges 'this is a video game' and messes with the set dressing. Video games often have trouble with story-gameplay dissonance, Metal Gear acknowledges that and both tries to tie them together and plays with the implications either way. Like Hideo Kojima isn't afraid to let you in on the joke, and is equally interested in both aspects.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

veni veni veni posted:

I think my favorite weapons in Elden Ring are the basic bitch ones. I like the look of semi realistic medieval weaponry over some sword that is made out of 50 swords glued together. Plus you can use whatever weapon art you want, any damage type you want, and upgrade them much easier.

Always felt this way about Souls tbh. Give me a maxed out braveheart sword over a giant chicken leg or dragon dick bone or whatever any day of the week.

Same but giant piece of wood.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Vic posted:

Same but giant piece of wood.

Same, but whip

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

if you really can't find joy in swinging around a giant rusty boat anchor like a god drat serial killer then you deserve 10,000 wedgies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I like the zweihander it is large and weighty