Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Knight:

Defence to grow to largest size since Vietnam War, increasing by nearly 20,000 people by 2040 (ABC). "Australia's military will move towards a wartime footing under government plans to boost the number of uniformed personnel to almost 80,000 by 2040, amid strategic risks posed by China and Russia."

Lethbridge 1:

Lethbridge 2:

Pope:

Rowe:

Wilcox:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Lethbridge 2:

Hey, he got the first horseman (Conquest) right! It’s all too commonly replaced by Pestilence. Then again, Famine got replaced by Plague this time around, even though famine is also in the news. Can’t win ‘em all.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Why on Earth is "humanitarian aid" included here in the Convoy Of Bad Things?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BonHair posted:

It's back to the roots of libertarianism though. Precious metals having inherent value is a core tenant of classic libertarianism. It's incredibly dumb, because outside of jewelry (and electronics recently), gold and silver were used as currency precisely because they didn't actually have any use besides being used for trade. It's just analogue fiat, but libertarians believe it's God given or something.

Only if it’s purestrain.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

War's binary I guess. There's no escalation to continental war or even world war to worry about, i guess.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

A MEDIA BLACKOUT OF THE PEOPLE’S CONVOY- LET FREEDOM ROLL!

Last month the Canadian truckers held a peaceful protest in Quebec to draw attention to Castro Jr.’s (Trudeau) tyrannical vaccine mandates. The truckers unleashed a “freedom” variant that is sweeping across the globe. Now America has it’s own “People’s Convoy.”

“The Great Honkening” started in Canada and swept south into the USA. Our steadfast US truckers are putting the pedal to the metal for an end to all covid mandates. Locally the covid mandates are starting to end, but Biden’s Federal mandates for the military, air travel, and health workers are still in place. Biden continues to play covid theater, wearing a useless mask in front of the cameras and taking it off when the filming has ended.

The People’s Convoy set off from California sixteen days ago on a road trip to Washington DC. Across the country, countless people joined in with thousands of semis, RVs, pick ups and others making this the largest convoy in US history. The convoy was cheered by Americans lining the over passes and sides of the highway, waving flags and giving the truckers their full support.

Our freedom truckers have learned well from their Canadian brothers. The truckers watched as Dictator Trudeau ignored the rule of law and went full Stalin on the truckers, unleashing his own RMCP Brownshirts to trample grandmas with their horses. The American truckers are not entering DC, but circling the beltway to announce their presence. Entering DC would be like walking into a trap set by Pelosi’s own Brownshirts, the Capital Police.

Today the convoy was joined by Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, so the optics of having a sitting US senator riding along with you in the cab gives the convoy more credibility and makes the news. IF the media will cover it.

Have you seen any mention of the convoy on the MSM? No. There is a media blackout as they are too busy trying to distract you by beating the Ukraine war drums. Biden will not acknowledge the existence of the convoy as he doesn’t even know where his bathroom is. VP Kamala “Hoe and Blow” Harris made a disparaging remark about how all the trucks are adding more pollution, completely and utterly missing the point of why they are doing this. Then she flew off to Poland in a carbon spewing jet plane.

What’s next? Pete Buttigieg telling the truckers to drive electric trucks?

The Biden regime is out of touch with the American people. The distractions will not work anymore, We The People are awake and pissed off.

The truckers in the USA and Canada have awakened the sleeping giant, the People.

“You’re either with the peaceful truckers or you are with the left-wing fascists..”

President Trump

HONK FOR FREEDOM!

-GrrrTeam

Stalinist Brownshirts.
Left-wing fascists.
:shepface:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raised By Birds posted:

Stalinist Brownshirts.
Left-wing fascists.

Oh, you mean these truckers?

https://twitter.com/noliewithbtc/status/1501772423905124354

Such brave souls.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

readingatwork posted:

^^^This used to be the case but these days all the robot lady metaphors for sex workers are woke and bad so who knows what policies he actually supports anymore.

Ok, the Twitter run of Sinfest is done and I think I’ve cracked the core of Ishida’s ideology. Are you ready?

“People who are nice to me on the internet = good
People who get mad at me on the internet = bad”

That’s literally it.

Radfems stared being nice to him so they became the heroic rebellion. Radfems didn’t like sex work so sex workers became robots in need of saving/deprograming… until actual sex workers started yelling at him for his garbage takes at which point all the fembots became woke and it was ok to kill them. Nazis are bad until the day you alienate most of your audience with your TERF poo poo and suddenly Nazis are the only people saying nice things.

He has no true core that he really believes in. Being woke and prostrating yourself on the alter of your privilege for being a man is good because Radfems are nice to him but it’s bad when you do it for being white because the wider left gets mad at him. Gender ambiguity is good until trans people got mad at him and suddenly the binary is ironclad. It’s quite incredible once you really see it and this realization acts as a skeleton key to understanding his work.

E: Also I am waiting with baited breath for the day Ishida to pisses off the 2nd wave feminists and his transformation into the exact opposite of his Radfem self is complete. The day he finally says “gently caress it! All women are sluts and whores after all!” Will be quite the sight to behold.

This was my read from the thread as well. You can see it as early as him making strips that fit the newspaper format and hosting a counter on his site of the number of times he'd been rejected from syndication. All he wanted was to please people and get validation, and his ethics were so weak or nonexistant that they never stood in the way of him going drastically towards whatever attention he hoped (in vain) to garner.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Raised By Birds posted:

Stalinist Brownshirts.
Left-wing fascists.

"Why won't the media pay attention to my noise polluting whiny plague carriers protesting things that don't exist, instead of a major world power bombing children's hospitals? WE HAVE TED CRUZ!"

Anyone using "We the People" to refer to themselves is a guaranteed rear end in a top hat who never knows how to actually fit it into a sentence without sounding ridiculously awkward, but just using "the People" is pretty funny too.

lmao

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
drat, hospital rider Harley dads are harder than that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Brave heroic assholes driving in circles and laying on the horn. We love 'em!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Plotlines Ishida is ignoring to complain about vaccines:

-The Woke Church has baby 2022 (ONE STRIP nearly two months ago)
-Monique realizes the devil’s son is the antichrist (although she realized this like two years ago in an earlier strip)
-Monique has also been living in the Devil’s mansion for like…a year, and that has had little going on
-Liberty after Uncle Sam died
-Slick and his new/old Bro Squad after the jail break
-…the actual jail break and riots, including the fate of the feminist scooter girl
-Finding a replacement for Uncle Sam
-The former sex worker getting a job with Hekate
-at least one rogue fembot is roaming around
-The devil’s son wants to be an angel
-Vainglorious and his incredibly vague notion of a plot against the Devil
-there’s the one devil lady wandering around. No, not that one

gently caress it, more cartoons about robot vaccines.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Lily wanting to be an angel will never be followed up on because Ishida realized the thematic implications of it. Which is a shame because it’s a genuinely compelling metaphor for living with gender dysphoria.

His other really good plot idea was Seymour being turned into a demon. It’s a fantastic metaphor for being unable to live up to impossible religious ideals.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My understanding is that they're just circling the DC beltway, which, uh, I'm not sure that a truck convoy of any size would make a noticeable impact on the DC beltway.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why on Earth is "humanitarian aid" included here in the Convoy Of Bad Things?

It's not a "convoy of bad things"; it's "here are the escalating steps that the world is taking against russia. what does de-escalation look like?"

given the poisonous misery of the anti-russian rhetoric spilling over into absolutely absurd ideas like facebook lifting hate speech restrictions on calls to violence against russians specifically, it's a reasonable question

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/BeastBackNasty/status/1501984602692325390?t=zXFq6gdn1NBZOEXbvgrJUQ&s=19

lol whoops

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The dumb celebrity gossip I needed today.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Steve Breen

Jeff Danziger

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

KAL

Steve Kelley

Marty Two Bulls

Jack Ohman

Rob Rogers

Drew Sheneman

Tom Stiglich

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Matt Wuerker

Tony Branco

quote:

The Comeback Kid The Clintons are bringing back their pay-to-play scheme just in time to get ready for the 2024 election.
She's totally running, you guys.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:ughh:

1) gently caress you, Gary.
2) How have they been suspended in midair for the last 21 years?
3) This so-called twentieth hijacker never even made it into the US until after being captured in Afghanistan and was subsequently tortured in Gitmo to the point he wasn't competent to stand trial
4) gently caress you, Gary.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 11, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why oh why can't I find any ethical consumption choices?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Raised By Birds posted:

Marty Two Bulls
You can't draw a bear in sunglasses and then expect me to root against them.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Is comparing Zelensky to Churchill the meanest US political cartoonists have been to him?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The two-week delay makes this one quite :discourse:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Give Peace a Chance When Another Country Is Waging a War

Ted Rall posted:

Many Americans, both Democrats and Republicans, are protesting angrily about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. But the peaceniks-come-lately were nowhere to be found over the last two decades as the United States invaded Afghanistan and Iraq, waged a brutal proxy war in Yemen and Syria, destroyed Libya and terrorized much of the world with assassination drone planes. When the US is the guilty party, citizens of the US are silently complicit. The hypocrisy is breathtaking.

First Dog on the Moon: All the cool kids are talking about State Capture – it's everywhere and you don't want it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Billy Gnosis posted:

Is comparing Zelensky to Churchill the meanest US political cartoonists have been to him?

I was just about to post this.

Cartoonists, a pro-tip: comparing someone to Churchill isn't the compliment you think it is.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Tardigrade posted:

Hey, he got the first horseman (Conquest) right! It’s all too commonly replaced by Pestilence. Then again, Famine got replaced by Plague this time around, even though famine is also in the news. Can’t win ‘em all.
To be fair, the only horseman specifically named in Revelations is Death, the other three are just described by what they're wearing and holding and are thus somewhat open to interpretation. But Conquest, War, and Famine are indeed the most common readings of them.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Give Peace a Chance When Another Country Is Waging a War

First Dog on the Moon: All the cool kids are talking about State Capture – it's everywhere and you don't want it

Oh gently caress off, Rall. People have been protesting Iraq and Afghanistan for two loving decades, but I suppose it's possible likely you just weren't paying attention.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He's really not, that gag is about agreeing with a person you really don't want to agree with because they tend to have all the worst views. It's really just a reimagining of the old "stopped clock" metaphor.

Rall's points are the opposite, in that his views are broadly from the same place as yours, but he makes his points so poorly that you get the urge to disagree on principle. In the clock metaphor he's more of one that's 15 minutes off, which means that he will never be correct, not even twice a day, but he'll consistently be adjacent to being correct.

You reminded me of the origin of the stopped clock metaphor, which was Lewis Carroll. In one of his finer combinations of mathematical logic and absurdism Carroll asserted that a clock stopped at eight o'clock was more useful than a clock that gained a minute every hour, because a clock that gained a minute would be right only once every two years whereas the stopped clock is right twice a day.

A century later Raymond Smullyan expounded on this by addressing the question Carroll had deliberately ignored: if you know when the clock that gains a minute an hour was last set then you can always calculate the correct time from it, while the stopped clock has no such point of reference. Smullyan's response was that you should watch the stopped clock very closely, and at the exact moment that it is right it will be eight o'clock.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Oil has been one of if not the single largest source of funding for evil people/governments to do evil things since the industrial revolution. Even a lot of the evil poo poo the US and our allies have done has been in the interest of obtaining cheap oil. Perhaps if gas stations also sold cocaine, opioids and slave labor it would have been a little more obvious?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Neito posted:

Why.

Why does the postal service need to turn a profit.

Also, part of this massive overhaul is that it's (from what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong) removing the onerous pension funding requirement added in the Bush administration that makes it appear that the postal service isn't profitable, or at least is much more unprofitable than it is.

Also, just let the postal service run a bank like it does in every other country. Not really related to profitability, just a pet peeve.

While it’s bullshit the postal service needs to be making a profit at all the bullshit pension funding requirement (which includes funding pensions for theoretical postal workers who aren’t even born yet) is the sole reason the postal service is not profitable. Getting rid of that one bullshit thing they’re profitable again like they were. It was literally created by right wing poo poo heads to strangle the postal service because it was a thorn in their side whenever they claimed anything government run was wasteful and ineffective

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The evacuation corridor response is appropriate condemning but it does make me wonder how these same artists feel about the Highway of Death.

...Is this him trying to logic his way through Trump? It almost feels like I'm seeing the actual internal mechanisms of his brain as he tries to rationalize it. "Of course Trump had to be 'bombastic' and brazen... it's the only way people would vote for him! He was actually being very shrewd and practical!"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Mikl posted:

I was just about to post this.

Cartoonists, a pro-tip: comparing someone to Churchill isn't the compliment you think it is.

I mean, for most of their readers it absolutely is, because even if they aren’t conservative, they are more likely than not to have a very shallow idea of who Churchill was and what he did (pm of Britain and fought against Hitler, right? Bengal what?).

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

While it’s bullshit the postal service needs to be making a profit at all the bullshit pension funding requirement (which includes funding pensions for theoretical postal workers who aren’t even born yet) is the sole reason the postal service is not profitable. Getting rid of that one bullshit thing they’re profitable again like they were. It was literally created by right wing poo poo heads to strangle the postal service because it was a thorn in their side whenever they claimed anything government run was wasteful and ineffective

I was like 90% sure that it's just the (what, 50? 75 year?) pension funding requirement that did that, but hedged my bets.

IIRC the senate just passed a bill to remove it, so hopefully we'll see some happiness out of the postal arena soon.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HOW long have these guys been in free fall??? :stare:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Vib Rib posted:

...Is this him trying to logic his way through Trump? It almost feels like I'm seeing the actual internal mechanisms of his brain as he tries to rationalize it. "Of course Trump had to be 'bombastic' and brazen... it's the only way people would vote for him! He was actually being very shrewd and practical!"

No, he’s trying to give everyone else cover.

Reality:
Trump said bad things, because he meant bad things and tried to do bad things.
Now everyone sees that Trump got to say bad things, and they want to say bad things too.
Because they mean those bad things and desperately want to do the bad things.

Stantis Land:
Trump said the bad things, because he meant bad things and tried to do bad things.
Now everyone sees that Trump got to say bad things, and they know they have to say the bad things.
Even though they don’t mean the bad things, and would never try to do them.
Trump ruined everything!

It’s an orange man bad, from the right. “Orange man, and only orange man, bad!”

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

kartikeya posted:

Oh gently caress off, Rall. People have been protesting Iraq and Afghanistan for two loving decades, but I suppose it's possible likely you just weren't paying attention.

I can attest I was on a protest march against Iraq war when it started, and against Ukraine war when this started.

I'll be here waiting for Rall to draw a cartoon critical of Putin...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I actually kind of like this Bok. I hate to say that, but it admits that Biden isn't actually implementing the Green New Deal and is actually not supporting anyone that's slightly left of him. It's a refreshing factual statement in contrast to all the "Biden is the greatest communist in history" from every other right winger.

Nenonen posted:

I'll be here waiting for Rall to draw a cartoon critical of Putin...

We'll make sure your gravestone in this thread is tacky and trite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I actually kind of like this Bok. I hate to say that, but it admits that Biden isn't actually implementing the Green New Deal and is actually not supporting anyone that's slightly left of him. It's a refreshing factual statement in contrast to all the "Biden is the greatest communist in history" from every other right winger.

I also like that (most likely unintentionally) Iran looks super confused about this.