Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"I don't value it, and capitalism doesn't value it, so how could it be valuable to anyone?" - a person who would have us believe they're not a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for saying sandwich ingredients are hard to procure?

Product placement from Jersey Mike's

I kept reading "procure" as "pronounce" and was like what the fuuuuuuuuuuck???

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sandwich ingrediments

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's a family touchstone for OP's former friend, and it's valuable to her.

This is how that went down, according to OP (bolding mine):

Now, instead of this recipe being associated with this woman's relationship to her family, and the two times a year it was traditionally made, it's just something she's going to run into everywhere OP decides to make it. That's the value that it had, and is now lost, because OP couldn't respect her enough to ask if it was okay to take her recipe (which she knew was secret at the time!).

Instead of the recipe being associated with this woman's relationship to her family, the two times a year it was traditionally made, and when she trots it out at dinner parties with her friends, other people get to experience it.
Acid vat all the way.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

This whole recipe talk reminds me of the AITA from last week that it’s cultural appropriation to learn a language.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for giving my nephew a dose of reality?

quote:

My nephew Mike is in his third year of college and is an student on scholarship. My son Jake just flunked out. He was feeling bad because Mike posted his newest scholarship on Instagram. I got on Mike’s Instagram to tell him it’s a proven fact that those who flunk out of college or are C level student are more successful and are billionaires. I was just trying to hype my son up. The hate mail started flowing in. I tried to tell Mike to stop his friends from sending me hateful messages. One family member Mike’s 16 year old sister posted my phone number and now they come to my phone. I was just trying to make my son feel better and I thought it was bad timing on Mike’s end because my son was feeling depressed so I wanted to show him college dropouts did become successful. Even my mom is hating on me saying this is what I get for being an rear end on social media but I didn’t expect for Mike’s friends to come after me for one comment. I have tried explaining to mike what I was doing but him and is sister blocked me and won’t tell their teenager friends to stop harass me.

Op getting owned by teenagers online

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hughlander posted:

This whole recipe talk reminds me of the AITA from last week that it’s cultural appropriation to learn a language.

It kinda sometimes is though. As I understand it as a nb poc, Tut is a language only for Black people whose ancestors were enslaved in the usa. And honestly, not learning a language is very easy. Just leave Black people alone, lmao, don't be weird about a language their ancestors made because they were enslaved and punished for learning to read. But honestly Black people aren't a hivemind and this isn't, like, a catch all sentiment. Shades of grey.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

value-brand cereal posted:

It kinda sometimes is though. As I understand it as a nb poc, Tut is a language only for Black people whose ancestors were enslaved in the usa. And honestly, not learning a language is very easy. Just leave Black people alone, lmao, don't be weird about a language their ancestors made because they were enslaved and punished for learning to read. But honestly Black people aren't a hivemind and this isn't, like, a catch all sentiment. Shades of grey.

Post in point was white people can’t learn Spanish. Somehow neglecting the country of Spain.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

DoubleNegative posted:

Bear in mind that the OP in that story didn't copy down the recipe furtively while her "friend's" back was turned. She just remembered what went into it after the fact and approximated the rest. And, apparently, within a few iterations had something close enough that she was happy with it. At that point that's the OP's recipe that was inspired by the one she helped make.

Just remember that the other friend probably doesn't know that her favourite chicken casserole recipe was brute forced. In an alternate universe, this friend is posting on relationship advice saying "I cooked my family's chicken casserole the other day. The recipe was the last thing my blind and deaf grandmother was able to tap out in morse code with her cane before she was devoured by wolves. My friend who was in the house at the time must have gone through my recipe book and stolen the recipe because I heard she had a dinner party and made my grandmothers special chicken. She won't even apologise to me for violating my privacy let alone stealing my grandmothers cane chicken."

The combination of incomplete information and no one wanting to admit they're a giant jerk means that the only real thing to ask is "are you willing to abandon the friendship over the chicken casserole debacle of 2022 or are you going to go and talk to your friend?". Noting that even if she's wrong about the facts she is still upset and you'll have to manage that using all of the emotional intelligence someone who posts on Reddit for relationship advice can muster. If the answer is 'yes because you aren't that close', then by all means hit the bricks. No one is obliged to be anyone's friend, especially since they're also unwilling to reach out and discuss the great chicken casserole debacle of 2022 rather than immediately torching the relationship.

In closing, relationships are a land of contrasts and what could have been resolved in a 2 minute phone call by either side is now going to be a multi generational feud about how they stole 'mamaws chicken recipe' [despite the fact that climate change killed off all the chickens 50 years ago].

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Post in point was white people can’t learn Spanish. Somehow neglecting the country of Spain.

OH LMAO

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
The Casserole of Thesus problem

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Evil Willow posted:

I kept reading "procure" as "pronounce" and was like what the fuuuuuuuuuuck???

capicola 🤌

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

my "secret family recipe" is a breakfast casserole and even if someone airdropped a million copies of it into every major metropolitan area in the world, the memories in my head of my now-deceased grandmother making it on memorial day every year when i was a kid do not somehow become worthless because knowledge is not a zero-sum game and i have chosen not to be a loving moron about it. i encourage others to do the same

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"I don't value it, and capitalism doesn't value it, so how could it be valuable to anyone?" - a person who would have us believe they're not a piece of poo poo.

lmao dude, calm down. The entire idea behind intellectual property is capitalistic intent and here you are championing for it. You are directly giving it value and exclusive rights, just lmao.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

My Secret Family Recipe:

1) tear up some bread (preferably homemade but who gives a poo poo) and put it on the bottom of a casserole dish.
2) mix up a bunch of eggs and some cream of mushroom soup, and pour it over the bread.
3) sear some tiny sausages, then throw them on top.
4) cover with enough shredded cheese to choke a horse. when you think you've added enough cheese, gently caress you add more cheese.

cook it in an oven for a while. if i still love my dead grandma when i wake up tomorrow morning, then you didn't use enough cheese in your version.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

CaptainViolence posted:

My Secret Family Recipe:

1) tear up some bread (preferably homemade but who gives a poo poo) and put it on the bottom of a casserole dish.
2) mix up a bunch of eggs and some cream of mushroom soup, and pour it over the bread.
4) cover with enough shredded cheese to choke a horse. when you think you've added enough cheese, gently caress you add more cheese.

cook it in an oven for a while. if i still love my dead grandma when i wake up tomorrow morning, then you didn't use enough cheese in your version.

Hell yeah, gonna make a test batch this weekend and name it Alhazred's Scorcher because I'm using hot chorizo.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

CaptainViolence posted:

My Secret Family Recipe:

Secret Family Recipe:

Add a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch powder to your Hidden Valley Ranch bottle to make it more ranchy.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Vim Fuego posted:

capicola 🤌

GABAGOOL!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm reminded of the time my aunt refused to give my mom the "secret family cranberry recipe" and then turned around and asked my mom for her deviled egg recipe.

Since my mom wasn't raised mormom and actually knew how to cook the next Christmas mom showed up with cranberries everyone else preferred.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Batterypowered7 posted:

Secret Family Recipe:

Add a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch powder to your Hidden Valley Ranch bottle to make it more ranchy.

:catstare:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

CaptainViolence posted:

My Secret Family Recipe:

How tiny are the sausages? Come on, I have a cooking blog and this is gonna make me rich.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Party Ape posted:

Just remember that the other friend probably doesn't know that her favourite chicken casserole recipe was brute forced. In an alternate universe, this friend is posting on relationship advice saying "I cooked my family's chicken casserole the other day. The recipe was the last thing my blind and deaf grandmother was able to tap out in morse code with her cane before she was devoured by wolves. My friend who was in the house at the time must have gone through my recipe book and stolen the recipe because I heard she had a dinner party and made my grandmothers special chicken. She won't even apologise to me for violating my privacy let alone stealing my grandmothers cane chicken."

If she had gone through her friend’s stuff that would be a lovely invasion of privacy. Good thing she didn’t though! She just had an approximate idea of what went into an extremely basic bitch casserole (because she was “consensually” helping out in the kitchen at the time) and was able to make a similarish chicken casserole for…her own sister if I remember the post correctly?

She’s not selling the casserole ffs, she recreated it for her own family member. I’m HONESTLY getting the vibe you guys don’t cook; it’s really not that hard or uncommon to like… taste a new twist on a very basic dish and then try your own take on the thing you tasted. I ate some savory shortbread cookies made with thyme and olive oil at a coffee shop; didn’t realize what a monstrous crime I’d committed for trying to recreate them at home (because cooking is a fun hobby??)!

Also such a huge part of family recipes is the social context; meemaw’s special Christmas cookies don’t taste special because it’s a top secret recipe but because you love meemaw and she does this nice thing once a year.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Silly Newbie posted:

How tiny are the sausages? Come on, I have a cooking blog and this is gonna make me rich.

just the regular little breakfast sausages you get at really greasy american diners, or as my aunt described them, "the exact same size as the finger of a kid who's getting in the way in the kitchen"

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Recipes operate on Highlander rules and there can be only one holder of the secret to Spa-Peggy and Meatballs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
this just in, hoarding knowledge is apparently the highest form of rebellion against capitalism, start burning libraries down.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quantumwell posted:

I understand where she's coming from, but as a coach and trainer herself she ought to realize that the trainers
in a gym have to schmooze people to hopefully get another paying customer.
How is that her problem?

Mx. posted:

I (27f) have a friend, Sam (34f). She sometimes hosts "dinner parties" that are really just our friend group going over to her place to eat.
So, a dinner party?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Now, instead of this recipe being associated with this woman's relationship to her family, and the two times a year it was traditionally made, it's just something she's going to run into everywhere OP decides to make it. That's the value that it had, and is now lost, because OP couldn't respect her enough to ask if it was okay to take her recipe (which she knew was secret at the time!).
My ex had blue hair and used to get angry if she saw another woman with blue hair. Every time she saw another woman with blue hair, she lost the same value that this lady loses when she contemplates someone else using her family casserole-jutsu techniques.

Kenshin posted:

So what you're saying is the value here is defined by who doesn't have it. Someone else figuring it out/recreating it diminishes its emotional value to the person who made it.
You're too caught up in a capitalist way of thinking. You see, ownership of something means the right to exclude others from using it!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hey I think I understand, you're just explaining poorly. Thankfully this person has a stronger grasp on the idea you're going for with capitalismbrained

staticman posted:

This is gonna be some dumb gay goonrant, BUT LET'S HOP ONBOARD MY WILD RIDE ANYWAY~!:unsmigghh:

Let me get straight to the point:

Raise your hand if you've killed the cop in your head. Good. :same:
Now, raise your hand if you've killed or are killing the colonizer in your head. Many of you are asking "w-what...?", "lol are you serious?", etc. We all know about the entity called "the cop in your head", and it's death is a necessary part of unchaining oneself and others from the prison of Capitalism. There's just one problem, especially if you're pale, there's another entity implanted in you called the Colonizer. This entity's actively driving you to not just hate non-Christian faith, but to destroy it in whatever ways you can. As above, so below, just like fascists use liberal free-speech as a Trojan horse to deliver white supremacist An Orwellmaidenheirazilneworltheylivatrix's Tale, the Colonizer's favorite horse for ecocidal Christendom these days is ~skeptical atheism and loving loving science~. I don't know if you've been paying attention, but scientists are as listened to by the government as Indigenous elders.

There's a reason natives are screaming from the rooftops for y'all to listen to them, cause if you keep ignoring them, you're literally going to continue the colonial cycle, but this time forcing the "superstitious savages" to surrender their ways and adopt the immortal science. That's exactly what the colonizer in your head wants, and why you must kill him.

Not sure what else to say on this, again, sorry if this came out a dumb goon rant, just my observation :shrug:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I forget if I mentioned it here before but I spent decades of my life thinking my grandma's pumpkin pie recipe was an old family creation, then one day I asked my mom about it because I couldn't find the recipe card and she was like "oh, just look it up on the Libby's website" :negative:

My family's fruit pie recipe is "get this brand of tapioca (I'm not being vague on purpose, I just remember it by look instead of name), look on the side of the box."

I thought my mom's honeycake was a recipe from the Old Country until I got it and the original listed Folger's crystals as an ingredient. It's from a Folger's cookbook she got in college.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Invisible Clergy posted:

There really aren’t that many different ways to make a chicken casserole. Like the Nestlé toll House cookie recipe, if you compare 100 peoples “secret“ family recipes, most of them are going to be pretty similar. Nice that the trash took itself out, OP'sfriend sounds like a bitch

I went to my friend's girlfriend's house for a super bowl party years ago. There were a ton of appetizers and all the usual stuff you'd see at that sort of thing. There was bruschetta too.

Months later, she comes over my house for some dinner n boardgames thing. Among the food is bruschetta.

She was astonished that I would steal her grandma's recipe for 'Italian tomatoes'. She had reached her early 20s without realizing that bruschetta is some basic low effort food that millions of people already know how to make without stealing anyone's grandma recipe. I could not convince her that shoving a few basic ingredients onto bread was not a new concept.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Secret family recipes are stupid and my family doesn't do that poo poo, but for me, the issue is whether figuring out and serving that recipe is more important to you than the friendship of the person that you know treasures that dumb secret.

Some of my friends put a lot of value on things that I think are real stupid, but I'll play along because I love them even when they're weird.

But on the other hand, I'd swipe a casual acquaintance's top secret casserole on a whim. (I still probably wouldn't serve it to folks who are close with the original person because that's kind of tacky.)

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Crocobile posted:

If she had gone through her friend’s stuff that would be a lovely invasion of privacy. Good thing she didn’t though! She just had an approximate idea of what went into an extremely basic bitch casserole (because she was “consensually” helping out in the kitchen at the time) and was able to make a similarish chicken casserole for…her own sister if I remember the post correctly?

Yes, my point was the friend (or ex-friend probably doesn't know that) and the only way to resolve the problem is to go and talk to the person rather than posting anonymously on reddit. (or to 'hit the bricks' rather than posting anonymously to reddit).

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

After the friend dropped the hard C I'd have probably posted the recipe everywhere I could have.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My mom has offered to teach her grandmother's chocolate cake and torte recipes (both from housekeeping magazines from the mid 50s) to the family but because they take like five hours each to make no one wants to bother. How much capitalismbrain-ism is involved here.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, in fact a lot of cultures take recipes very seriously. Thinking that this, like other traditional knowledge, is worthless and that there's no legitimate concern with you just picking it up from someone without permission and spreading it around is way more in line with the white American immersion in cultureless, traditionless consumer capitalism.

The main thing all of you are missing is consent. She didn't give OP consent to take her recipe. OP didn't ask.

Is this something you honestly believe? The OP isn't opening up a casserole stand with her friend's recipe. She's eating it at home. Do you straight out ask someone if you're allowed to use a cooking technique or ingredient you've seen them use. Do people get to call dibs?

I went to the same grilled meat guy in Istanbul every week for years. I'd sit there and watch him prepare his marinades and spice mixes and see how he cooked the meat and how he made the bread from scratch. Now, when I cook that stuff at home I basically make it just like ol Ahmet Usta did. If someone compliments the food, I tell them where I learned how.

Did I do a Wrongbad White Thing? Should I have asked his consent? If I didn't get consent, should I somehow forget that I know exactly how to make the food and do it differently to somehow erase the nonexistent harm I am causing?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Husband told me he's disappointed in me and regrets marrying me

quote:

My husband (28M) and I (25F) have been together for 2 years, married for one year. Our one year of dating was amazing, we really loved each other (I thought) and he really seemed into me. We would often cook together (well, I cooked and he kept me company, but I enjoyed it) and frequently went out. He would compliment me, leave me love notes, and even wrote me a love poem. When he proposed, I thought it was too soon but he convinced me how there was no one he ever wants to date again; I was the love of his life and so I said yes!

Right after the wedding things started to change. He no longer kept me company when I cooked, but instead close himself off in our bedroom and play video games. He also stopped complimenting me and stopped helping with house work. I thought perhaps it was work stress and so just let him be and figured things would return to normal soon. He also started to contribute less and less to our bills. Since I made a little over $5,000 more than him I saw no problem taking on a larger share of the bills (after COVID I got a nice raise and now pay most of the bills).

None of those things were an issue for me, but now this happened:

Once a week I do a romantic dinner for my husband (candles, wine, fancy home-cooked meal, etc.) and this Saturday I did just that. My husband came to eat and he seemed like something was really bugging him. I poured him wine and figured after he relaxes a bit he'll tell me. He drank his glass and while I was serving the rack of lamb he said, without looking at me, "I'm very disappointed in you".

I stare at him and he continued, "If I knew what it would be like I never would have married you."

I was shocked into silence so he kept going, "I could do so much better than you."

At this point I started drinking too; it really helped. So I asked him how he envisioned our marriage, and he said "When I asked you to marry me I thought you'd be making a lot more money by now".

I am still trying to process this since Saturday and haven't told any of my friends/family. I think they would tell me to divorce, but I'm not sure if he really means it. Could this be depression talking or did I marry a user? The way I see it is that he really has nothing to complain about (not even about sex since when we got married I promised him a BJ whenever he asked and I deliver on that promise each time he asks which is almost nightly).

He hasn't mentioned anything about it since Saturday night and I haven't brought it up since then because I'm not sure how to start this conversation yet, we just awkwardly pretend nothing happened.

TLDR; Husband had a few glasses of wine and told me he's disappointed in me because he thought I should be making more money. He said he can do a lot better than me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oh hey, this reminds me that Passover is coming up next month and I want to make some existential mandelbreit.

See, that word means "almond bread", I'm allergic to nuts and it's a Passover recipe so no leaven. So it's almond bread without almonds or bread. The recipe goes back to seders at my grandparents.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
This is exciting, I haven't played Colonists & Casseroles since middle school

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Incredible.

The thing about it having to be THEIR dinner party and not our, or our friends dinner part is a red flag. I get wanting a kitchen to yourself, buuuuut that’s some bad vibes. Chicken casserole is also not a cultural exclusivity thing. No one recorded a closed indigenous ceremony or a secret name or something. We’re talking rice/noodles, chicken breast and various soup cans with a packet of onion soup seasoning.

EVEN SO it’s 100% ok for friend to be sad or disappointed or quite mad. You dont know what you dont know. A mature person would say hey, that was a special thing for me I’m pissed you copied it. A reciprocating mature person would empathize, apologize gracefully knowing their friend is a bit silly but oh well it was special to them my bad, and we’d have more dinner parties.

Dinner party ban + cword is bordering relationship danger zone. Maybe they’re Aussies and we’re just talking mild language here. Maybe there’s bad blood. But the ban reaction is a good sign to take one’s leave and not sweat interacting anymore.

Edit: Thanks for helping me sleep, OP. This was a nice puzzle to work out.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Oh hey, this reminds me that Passover is coming up next month and I want to make some existential mandelbreit.

See, that word means "almond bread", I'm allergic to nuts and it's a Passover recipe so no leaven. So it's almond bread without almonds or bread. The recipe goes back to seders at my grandparents.

Jewish transubstantiation is way less metal than catholics