Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

Full translation of the letter is :kiss:

I like the YouTube video myself
https://youtu.be/ZvfUXP9puGY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Woe betide the first birds to try land on Igor's crops.

Between the number of Tors and Pantsirs captured and the people and means that did the capturing, it seems to me that we should start calling mobile anti-aircraft systems "Ukrainian Scarecrows."

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
I'll never get bored of the Ukrainian government dunking on Russia through loving twitter. Like I don't care anymore about the veracity of their claims anymore, it's just too funny. It'd be hilarious if after the war it turns out their social media team is run by like 17-year old redditors or some poo poo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

I know this isn't the point, but why did they bother coloring in all the tiny French overseas possessions and then not do it for the British ones?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

TheWeedNumber posted:

What were they short of AKs or some poo poo?

Only thing i can think of is some Russian General was given, say, 50 mil to outfit these guys. He said 'hey, that would buy a nice condo in Monte Carlo."

Then war came and he was like....poo poo...what do we have in the warehouse?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

EasilyConfused posted:

Full translation of the letter is :kiss:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah jesus loving christ

the only way that gets any better is if Putin immediately dusts Shoigu on suspicion of being a Ukrainian saboteur

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

KitConstantine posted:

Remember that clip of the "food and fuel trucks" from earlier?

The Russian ministry of Defense unlocked their Twitter account* so now we can see the whole video showing their extremely real logistical support in Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/mod_russia/status/1501851187783548931?t=DiCH3owLDdH01dWazkl8Xw&s=19
I've never been in the military, but ceramic plates used for presentation and flowers on tables don't seem very...practical

Also zero mud. Anywhere. I dunno guys this seems too good to be true.

*everyone who runs a Russian twitter account is the thinnest skinned mother fucker on the planet so the Russian MoD twitter account locked up for like 4 days :lol:
lmao aside from being obviously fake as gently caress, the itty bitty cherry on top is how they can't even pull those trucks out in an organized manner: after the first in each column pulls out, the next two go out of order and nearly hit each other. Can't manage to follow basic instructions let alone coordinate an invasion.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Civ post here:

I work for a big rear end manufacturing conglom, that among other things provides most of the world with MRI devices and other critical care stuff. Until last week, I ran Cloud cybersecurity, now I run regional security risk for "the conflict zone" out of Poland. We get briefings too from global interest/intel groups focusing on healthcare accessibility etc. Here's what I can say about Russia over the next 4 months.

We, and other firms are rushing spare parts for critical care devices via China, but even with that there's a really good chance all advances medical imaging and radiological medicine in Russia collapses within 2, maybe 3 weeks.

The Russian govt is demanding that all foreign firms set up unbound DNS connections IN Russia to maintain/manage devices. This is obviously a non-starter because it just begs for targeted attacks against large corporate networks.

Additionally, most of the technicians and service was performed by contractors operating out of Ukraine, Poland, and Moldova. The short answer is because these folks wouldn't try to steal or resell parts, the long being that any Russian that was hired and passed certification applied immediately for transfer to an EU office.
There is effectively no one left in Russia that can maintain, configure, or repair most advanced medical devices. This goes the same for the gas turbines in a few powerplants.

Further: since the time of the USSR, many of the hospitals and medical system have become incredibly reliant in western (read: US) devices.

This isn't just clinical stuff, but medical records, pharmaceutical systems etc. These all went into standby/shutdown with the sanctions, the clinical stuff was given some grace due to humanitarian concerns. The administration functions are already crippled and never really had the best retention/backup policies to begin with.

One of my recent tasks was inventorying and accounting for radiological equipment and clinical devices in Ukraine, a lot of it is intact and as we've seen via the reporting on the ground, the government did a fairly good job of moving sensitive stuff into hardened locations.

THAT SAID- using the geolocation function on some imaging and radiological clincal stuff- at least one device was looted and brought back into the separatist areas/Russia.

It's too early to tell, but I suspect that some of the Liga/Wagner guys are going to be tasked with getting some stuff home so that the government can have somewhat reliable care for the near term.

In short- Russia is going to need severe humanitarian aid at some point. And the population is going to suffer BADLY.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

First, thanks for your awesome post. The knock-on effects of the invasion are going to be insane, and you're demonstrating one aspect of that really well.

Immanentized posted:

This goes the same for the gas turbines in a few powerplants.

Where are you getting this information? I was under the impression a lot of Russian plant is Russian-made and I would have thought that it could be handled in-country, but if you're correct then.... well, holy gently caress.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

KitConstantine posted:

The Russian ministry of Defense unlocked their Twitter account* so now we can see the whole video showing their extremely real logistical support in Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/mod_russia/status/1501851187783548931?t=DiCH3owLDdH01dWazkl8Xw&s=19
I've never been in the military, but ceramic plates used for presentation and flowers on tables don't seem very...practical

Also zero mud. Anywhere. I dunno guys this seems too good to be true.

*everyone who runs a Russian twitter account is the thinnest skinned mother fucker on the planet so the Russian MoD twitter account locked up for like 4 days :lol:

Also (nearly) zero soldiers.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

First, thanks for your awesome post. The knock-on effects of the invasion are going to be insane, and you're demonstrating one aspect of that really well.

Where are you getting this information? I was under the impression a lot of Russian plant is Russian-made and I would have thought that it could be handled in-country, but if you're correct then.... well, holy gently caress.

We make the turbines and some of the ics components. A lot IS Russian made but the precision components were- actually made in Ukraine, but under license from American/German firms

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Immanentized posted:

We make the turbines and some of the ics components. A lot IS Russian made but the precision components were- actually made in Ukraine, but under license from American/German firms

Oh my god :negative:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm trying to get my head around the egg-carton bags. It seems they should have plastic shapes much like those cardboard ones, but packed with sand.

Even if cardboard is an accepted material, they seem to be loaded in upside down, and without the sand.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Look, sand is like, really heavy

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm trying to get my head around the egg-carton bags. It seems they should have plastic shapes much like those cardboard ones, but packed with sand.

Even if cardboard is an accepted material, they seem to be loaded in upside down, and without the sand.

There are supposed to be sheets of kontakt-5 between the thingies, and the thingies hold them at the optimal position and distance in the bag.

The ERA sheets seem to be missing tho

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

There are supposed to be sheets of kontakt-5 between the thingies, and the thingies hold them at the optimal position and distance in the bag.

The ERA sheets seem to be missing tho

Explains why ATGMs are absolutely wrecking the gently caress out of the Russian tank forces. Their ERA is missing the ER part.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Even if they had all the pieces do we know if it worked under ideal conditions or is it still another cope cage?

I feel the R&D money that should have gone to this wound up in the same place as their gas money: paying for champagne and caviar to impress some models at a nightclub in Moscow

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

orange juche posted:

Explains why ATGMs are absolutely wrecking the gently caress out of the Russian tank forces. Their ERA is missing the ER part.

seems pretty significant to the argument I am seeing a few people make that this was means that the day of the MBT is over

these basically aren't MBTs anymore, given they are have been stripped of such a large amount of the tank to that tank

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Also I should mention that when we were working on evacuation for employees, contractors and their families- one of product security dudes made it to the border, handed over his corporate laptop and security key and turned around and asked the Ukrainian border guards where he could enlist.

Hella respect for that dude, real stickler for procedure.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

orange juche posted:

Yup. In reserve postings and in Chechnya there were rumors about people yoinking the explosive inserts out of the old Kontakt-1 bricks and selling them

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I can't decide if that's funnier than drinking the coolant from airframes

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

seems pretty significant to the argument I am seeing a few people make that this was means that the day of the MBT is over

these basically aren't MBTs anymore, given they are have been stripped of such a large amount of the tank to that tank

Yeah I was going to say, the ERA, if it existed, should have been able to defeat stuff like an NLAW or a Carl Gustaf, or even a Javelin in direct attack mode. But if the ERA is missing from the sides and top of the tank, then the charges on those will go through like 2 feet of rolled steel and turn the insides of the tank into molten hell. Guess Western observers are going to get less useful data on how well their weapons systems work on Russian tank designs than they thought, due to rampant corruption in the Russian military.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

orange juche posted:

Yeah I was going to say, the ERA, if it existed, should have been able to defeat stuff like an NLAW or a Carl Gustaf, or even a Javelin in direct attack mode. But if the ERA is missing from the sides and top of the tank, then the charges on those will go through like 2 feet of rolled steel and turn the insides of the tank into molten hell. Guess Western observers are going to get less useful data on how well their weapons systems work on Russian tank designs than they thought, due to rampant corruption in the Russian military.

I seem to recall everyone saying the corruption itself is by design
:goonsay:

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
https://twitter.com/remilitari/status/1502012187627433986?s=20&t=sOJ-5aWdRbqvo78lcAKPuQ

Spokesman's statement is total nonsense, of course, but I feel this is priming the pump domestically to justify employing bio or chem weapons.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

KitConstantine posted:

Whole lot of snow in that video.

Not a whole lot of snow in Ukraine right now.

Odd.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Re Russian POWs, the Soviet Union had a nasty habit of shooting/sending off to concentration camps people who had surrendered, on the grounds that they hadn't fought hard enough or long enough. If I were a Russian POW in Ukraine, I'd be very nervous about what happened on repatriation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Re Russian POWs, the Soviet Union had a nasty habit of shooting/sending off to concentration camps people who had surrendered, on the grounds that they hadn't fought hard enough or long enough. If I were a Russian POW in Ukraine, I'd be very nervous about what happened on repatriation.

Given the EU is basically offering free citizenship, I think they'll find a way out if they want.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Softface posted:

https://twitter.com/remilitari/status/1502012187627433986?s=20&t=sOJ-5aWdRbqvo78lcAKPuQ

Spokesman's statement is total nonsense, of course, but I feel this is priming the pump domestically to justify employing bio or chem weapons.

Are there... Birds that migrate from Ukraine to Russia??

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm surprised I haven't seen more tankies accusing Ukrainians of painting Zs on their own equipment.

If Ukraine can maintain a relatively static front long enough for sanctions on Russia to really start to bite, it will be interesting to see if Putin finally walks things back or tries to double down. I don't see the latter going well for him. He could absolutely get away with backing down, though: just shift the goal posts completely and execute some scape goats for the military debacle. Domestic audiences would probably accept it so long as they thought it meant the economy would go back to normal (what happens if the damage proves irreparable, I don't know). Western tankies, of course, would immediately accept it and continue to blast the message that "Ukraine hysteria" exists "to distract dumb libs".

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wasabi the J posted:

After I spit out some bourbon, I googled it. I don't believe so.

I believe this is a translation issue. Turns out we paid Ukraine some money to study how diseases spread in migratory birds. We all know that this means we are prepping vectors for our bioweapon strike.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh gently caress it's the bat sulphur bomb all over again

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Wasabi the J posted:

I know this really isn't the point, but this might be the one time where I can plausibly pretend to be something approaching an expert in this thread. Without diving into specifics, there are almost certainly species the either winter in Ukraine or stop there during migration and breed in Russia. I can say this without specific knowledge because 1) Russia is both huge and mostly north of Ukraine and 2) Birds migrate loving everywhere. Seriously, there's a species of songbird that breeds in Alaska and winters in Africa.

That said, the many species that breed in Russia mostly head for remote habitat in the middle of nowhere and don't ever come into close contact with humans.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Softface posted:

I don't even understand why they bother with this type of charade anymore. They obviously intend to use chemical/biological weapons, so why don't they just use them and retain some semblance of surprise instead of spelling out what they intend to do with this awkward high school theatre acting?

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 11, 2022

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

You know the world has gone off the rails when even loving Gerhard is asking his buddy pootie-poots to calm down because it's hurting his bottom line.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-ex-chancellor-schroeder-meets-putin-moscow-politico-2022-03-10/

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I don't even understand why they bother with this type of charade anymore. They obviously intend to use chemical/biological weapons, so why don't they just use them and retain some semblance of surprise instead of spelling out what they intend to do with this awkward high school theatre acting?

The only thing I can think of is that they really like to rub it in that they can basically brag about the utterly abhorrent poo poo they're about to openly do because no one is willing to risk nuclear war to stop them.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Russians are cartoonishly evil to a shocking extent, so that tracks

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nuclear Tourist posted:

That media isn't particularly for our consumption. It's to run on Russian state media. I mean, sure, they want us to see it, but it's more for drumming up support at home than abroad. Gotta beat that propaganda drum.

It's a classic move. Embark on military misadventures, put senior official up to spout garbage to the public to smooth over everything or sow fear and leave enough breadcrumbs to project intent if anyone is listening.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That media isn't particularly for our consumption. It's to run on Russian state media. I mean, sure, they want us to see it, but it's more for drumming up support at home than abroad. Gotta beat that propaganda drum.

It's a classic move. Embark on military misadventures, put senior official up to spout garbage to the public to smooth over everything or sow fear and leave enough breadcrumbs to project intent if anyone is listening.

Why choose bioweapons of all things? We already have covi...

They're gonna blame the US for covid aren't they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Flesnolk posted:

Russians are cartoonishly evil to a shocking extent, so that tracks

Oligarchs are cartoonishly evil. Let's not be rude to the general populace.