Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

MrYenko posted:

Olds was experimenting with lightening the 442 and made the inner fenders out of plastic for the W-30 cars of that vintage. There's a couple other cars from that time period with red inner fenders as an option, notably the 66-67 GTO, but I think they were steel.
Something tells me those red fender liners were pretty much pink after a couple years of real world use.

More and more new cars have fabric inner fender liners.

When is someone going to take a page out of VWs Book of GTI and make some plaid (tartan?) cloth fender liners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If it is an A Body you should be able to put a Pontiac Tempest clip on it and make a GTOmino.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PBCrunch posted:

Something tells me those red fender liners were pretty much pink after a couple years of real world use.

More and more new cars have fabric inner fender liners.

When is someone going to take a page out of VWs Book of GTI and make some plaid (tartan?) cloth fender liners?

That would be awesome, I would like fake grass as well, a bit of rolling concours d'elegance flair.

Of course we all know the most popular ones will be Louis Vuitton and Burberry themes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I love it https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/03/vw-unveils-adorable-electric-id-buzz-us-sales-begin-2024/

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Didn’t see anything about price but that is something I will look into when it is available in 2024 which is when the wife’s RAV4 lease is up.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

That new bus looks pretty cool, but it would have looked cooler with round headlights. At least it isn't gray.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

They need to sell these only in actual colours. No all white, no black, no grey.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Given there's a commercial version, I guarantee there will be an all-white version.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Just some dudes getting breakfast at a local joint.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You're only making me want it more!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fornax Disaster posted:

Looks like it may be the same grill as was used on the Canadian market 55 Meteor.

El Camino crossed with a 1970 Olds W-30

I know the guy who owns that - friend of my dad's from work, though I'm not sure he *still* owns it. He built/had it built what? 20 years ago, now? I bought my '70 Cutlass from him.
It's of course actually an El Camino, but it's been very thoroughly redone. Front sheetmetal, obviously. Real W-25 fiberglass hood. 'The doors are ElCo doors with the forward skin of an Olds door. The rear quarters are ElCo with Olds wagon lower quarters grafted on. The tailgate has had the end part of an Olds decklid grafted on, and would still be functional if the bumper didn't get in the way. It's a real '70 442 455 engine built to W-30 specs, TH400, and the crown jewel, a real W-27 aluminum center-section rearend (look it up - they're $$$.)

Dash structure has been completely replaced with Old bits. Olds interior bits. The tricky part was the frameless door windows.

If you look closely, you might note a difference in the rear wheels between the first two pics and the last. The wheels in the first two are stock 15 x 7. The rear wheels in the last pic are stockers widened to 15 x 10!

PBCrunch posted:

Why is the inner wheel well red?

Every manufacturer still making a car should be Ranchero-izing its offerings.

The inner wheel wells of all 442 W-30s (and that car was built as a W-30) were red plastic rather than the normal black plastic. Because GM made them that way - no other reason. They're identical as far as I know.

MrYenko posted:

Olds was experimenting with lightening the 442 and made the inner fenders out of plastic for the W-30 cars of that vintage. There's a couple other cars from that time period with red inner fenders as an option, notably the 66-67 GTO, but I think they were steel.

All 70-72 Cutlasses had plastic inner fenders.

Dagen H posted:

Olds Camino :swoon:

442 UTE
Read the license plate.
:colbert:

PBCrunch posted:

:ssh: They are.
I use a salmon color when building a model of them, and it's basically perfect.

BigPaddy posted:

If it is an A Body you should be able to put a Pontiac Tempest clip on it and make a GTOmino.

Yes, it's an A-body. It's probably been done. I definitely recall seeing one that was a '73-77 Malaise-era LeMansamino.

Not bad! Not as good as the concept, but better than it seemed like it was going to be.

devmd01 posted:

Photoshop. I don't see a single oil puddle.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Darchangel posted:

Photoshop. I don't see a single oil puddle.

Coulda been hauled there on a flatbed out of shot.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Thanks for the build details on that, I have seen those pictures crop up in a few places but not much other info.

Also I can confirm about the pink inner fenders....

They may be a bit thinner plastic than the regular black ones.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

devmd01 posted:

That's a good breakfast club

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.citroen.co.uk/models/future-models/ami.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This actually seems kind of poo poo compared to the Wuling Hongguang Mini EV.

The Wuling is twice the horsepower, nearly twice the battery, and around half the price. They also make a dope rear end convertible, and there's some dude in China that does all sorts of neat poo poo with them.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 11, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hopefully the West will adopt similar styling if these little guys take off! You could probably get away with a lot styling wise if the things never get above 40mph.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its a Multipla Junior!!

Re Chinese EVs
drat Look at all those dragonball as hell cars

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 11, 2022

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its a Multipla Junior!!

I was about to say that a multipla snuck into the fiat factory and knocked up a 500, but you beat me to it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I would drive the poo poo out of that green one. It would have to be the green one because I’m not sure my tall rear end would fit in the others.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Powershift posted:

The Wuling is twice the horsepower, nearly twice the battery, and around half the price.

What's highlighted means that the Wuling is a car. As far as I understand it, the ami technically isn't, so has lower license requirements, insurance, etc. in Europe.

Putting that aside, at none of the points I've ever been driving in Paris or Milan/Turin, have I ever had the thought "you know what, I need more horsepower."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

JohnCompany posted:

Putting that aside, at none of the points I've ever been driving in Paris or Milan/Turin, have I ever had the thought "you know what, I need more horsepower."

Ce n'était pas un rendez-vous

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The Citroen Ami (and its Opel cousin) are indeed not considered cars.
In the Netherlands the class has to be limited to a top speed of 45km/h, but can be driven by 16 year olds on a moped license (which only takes like 3 hours to get, versus 30ish hours for a car license).
In France it is a 'Voiture sans permis' and i don't know the french rules.

The ami is like 14.000 euro which is about as much as the cheapest 'normal' cars available. It's a stupid amount of money but they will probably sell somewhat okay in cities where infrastructure is car centered but a small car still benefits you.

There's a small number of comparable vehicles like the Biro in Amsterdam, but Amsterdam is bicycle centered and you aren't allowed to drive those notcars on cycle paths. And that means your travel time is just as long as when using an actual car because you can neither pass lines of cars on the cycle path, nor can you filter like on a motorcycle or moped.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

The Wuling is twice the horsepower, nearly twice the battery, and around half the price. They also make a dope rear end convertible, and there's some dude in China that does all sorts of neat poo poo with them.

Only one of these companies has a 90 year history of producing goofy looking cars, then mass producing them in the hundreds of thousands, virtually unchanged, for decades though

Oh God, have I turned into a Citroen fanboy :ohdear:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Only one of these companies has a 90 year history of producing goofy looking cars, then mass producing them in the hundreds of thousands, virtually unchanged, for decades though

I love Citroens. I'm not sure I'd ever dare to own one, though.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I would love to own a Citroen if I lived in a place with the parts infrastructure to operate it.

The problem with a Chinese EV is that the manufacturer will iterate so fast that parts availability will be a problem.

The doors on the Ami are SO COOL. Stellantis, bring this to America.

What is up with the "paint" on that orange six-wheeled Chinese EV? Is that covered in orange bedliner? Is it orange molded textured plastic?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LimaBiker posted:

The Citroen Ami (and its Opel cousin) are indeed not considered cars.
In the Netherlands the class has to be limited to a top speed of 45km/h, but can be driven by 16 year olds on a moped license (which only takes like 3 hours to get, versus 30ish hours for a car license).
In France it is a 'Voiture sans permis' and i don't know the french rules.

The ami is like 14.000 euro which is about as much as the cheapest 'normal' cars available. It's a stupid amount of money but they will probably sell somewhat okay in cities where infrastructure is car centered but a small car still benefits you.

There's a small number of comparable vehicles like the Biro in Amsterdam, but Amsterdam is bicycle centered and you aren't allowed to drive those notcars on cycle paths. And that means your travel time is just as long as when using an actual car because you can neither pass lines of cars on the cycle path, nor can you filter like on a motorcycle or moped.

A few corrections, it’s a 50cc equivalent quadricicle so it’s 14 years and up, also the official listing is 8-9k€ but it’s mostly provided as a car-as-service with a stupid cheap sub(less than public transit).

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Hadlock posted:

The wuling is made from a partnership that includes GM.

It is however made as cheaply as possible, and I mean that. It uses non-automotive grade chips, the cheapest possible materials, and lowest quality everything. Things are expected to break regularly, which is why they're easy to replace. But they will break. And you will have to get parts and pay for them. It's the cheap boots of the car world.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh interesting, I thought this was a random fly by night ev, but supposedly they are outselling Tesla in China

I guess GM has been producing the suburban and Corvette for a long time, but the chassis changes every 7-10 years

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

SlowBloke posted:

A few corrections, it’s a 50cc equivalent quadricicle so it’s 14 years and up, also the official listing is 8-9k€ but it’s mostly provided as a car-as-service with a stupid cheap sub(less than public transit).

I'm talking about the situation in the Netherlands, where it is a 'brommobiel', and you have to be 16 to drive it.

You're right about the price though, it is considerably cheaper than i thought.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LimaBiker posted:

I'm talking about the situation in the Netherlands, where it is a 'brommobiel', and you have to be 16 to drive it.

You're right about the price though, it is considerably cheaper than i thought.

I was talking about the sole market where the ami is sold, France. Just to provide perspective to non euros.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

The wuling is made from a partnership that includes GM.

It is however made as cheaply as possible, and I mean that. It uses non-automotive grade chips, the cheapest possible materials, and lowest quality everything. Things are expected to break regularly, which is why they're easy to replace. But they will break. And you will have to get parts and pay for them. It's the cheap boots of the car world.

Not cheap enough! Changli is the real answer. Look how happy he is!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

SlowBloke posted:

I was talking about the sole market where the ami is sold, France. Just to provide perspective to non euros.

The Ami is not only solely sold in France. Opel is currently aggressively advertising the opel variant of it on social media, and i've also seen at least one of the Citroën branded ones in the UK.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think you could also register these in one of the several US states as a "low speed vehicle" which basically is a loophole designed to let boomers drive their golf cart around their master planned county club, or beach retirement community and skirts around emissions, crash safety, fuel consumption regulations. Honestly with maybe 2000 miles a year it's probably not worth regulating at this point. I think they're limited to 25mph by law but most can do more than that if only slightly

Reaching back a couple of pages in this thread, a cyclekart with a rear view mirror, windshield wipers and functional (but not necessarily DOT approved) brake lights, turn signals and headlights, would also qualify as a road-legal, low speed vehicle

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LimaBiker posted:

The Ami is not only solely sold in France. Opel is currently aggressively advertising the opel variant of it on social media, and i've also seen at least one of the Citroën branded ones in the UK.

Citroen UK is not officially selling it (source https://www.citroen.co.uk/models/future-models/ami.html where you can reserve rather than purchase). I didn't know about the opel variant, which from what i can muster is german only(but should be covered by the basic moped driving license you can get at 15).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

They had at least one of the Amis here in Coventry and got the journos to drive it round town. It was very weird seeing places I know so well in so many videos about this tiny car.

It also highlighted how terrible the ring road that strangles the city centre is. :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I remember Car Throttle doing a video on it a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hScjggOSAUU

Would it be sold as a Vauxhall in the UK? That is if they bothered sellign two versions

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I remember Car Throttle doing a video on it a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hScjggOSAUU

Would it be sold as a Vauxhall in the UK? That is if they bothered sellign two versions

Car throttle and jonny smith videos had a french registration plate(and jonny smith explicitly told multiple times about the car not being for sale in the uk). I remember the massive schuko to uk plug adapter making it impossible to stow the cables away.

It wouldn't be surprising to have a citroen and vauxhall(instead of opel) sold simultaneously but afaik only citroen committed to sell in the uk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

mobby_6kl posted:

Not cheap enough! Changli is the real answer. Look how happy he is!

The improvement in more recent versions of that are pretty amazing considering the cost.

https://youtu.be/IYMlFA-LA0w

I’d bet good $$$ that in less than a decade China ends up dominating the EV market.