Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
It always surprises people when I tell them none of my degrees are in engineering. The only reason I'm an "engineer" is because my second CO made me ELECTRO and I've been in engineering ever since. Also, as Mr. Nice! said, I have practical experience that probably influences those decisions too.

I don't necessarily mind it, but the way things are going, few and fewer people are going to be eligible to be CHENGs, and some recent decisions from PERS have made the job even less enticing for JOs.

Edit: Oh god no. Don't bring that bad luck on me, Mr. Nice! Please just let me get this through tour first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’ll always boggle my mind that the navy doesn’t have separate streams for engineering and deck officers.

And I say this as a guy who went through merchant marine deck officer school fully cognizant of how much loving harder the engineering coursework was. Thermodynamics? Yeah cool I’ll be over there doing spherical trig.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The Valley Stared posted:

It always surprises people when I tell them none of my degrees are in engineering. The only reason I'm an "engineer" is because my second CO made me ELECTRO and I've been in engineering ever since.

:dogstare:

As someone who spent most of their working life on drill ships and ocean going oil rigs I simply cannot get my head round this at all. All the chief engineers I worked with had basically started from cadet and worked up for about 20 years.

This is no way dissing you, I have read these threads long enough to know what you have done over the years, but how does it work in reality? Like how can you be standing watch one ship then being expected to pull apart gas turbines the next?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Burt posted:

:dogstare:

As someone who spent most of their working life on drill ships and ocean going oil rigs I simply cannot get my head round this at all. All the chief engineers I worked with had basically started from cadet and worked up for about 20 years.

This is no way dissing you, I have read these threads long enough to know what you have done over the years, but how does it work in reality? Like how can you be standing watch one ship then being expected to pull apart gas turbines the next?

Engineering officers on navy ships aren't tearing engines apart themselves. She's supervising the entire engineroom and running that half of the ship in case of disaster.

Any specialized work is going to be done by contractors or the people who own the engines the ships are leasing.

That isn't to say that she won't certainly be involved with basically everything that's broken everywhere, but she isn't in that job because she's an actual engineer. none of those people are on ships as a part of the crew.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

The Valley Stared posted:

Oh no. Still dumb enough to stay in. Just got an Ord-Mod regarding how long I'll be staying on my next ship too. On the one hand, Rota! On the other hand, several years as a CHENG.

If it works for you, that's all that matters. And as Mr Nice pointed out, you still being in will probably be a huge plus for Sailors and JOs that end up working for you. I'm pretty comfortable saying the Navy is better off having you in it.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Engineering officers on navy ships aren't tearing engines apart themselves. She's supervising the entire engineroom and running that half of the ship in case of disaster.

Any specialized work is going to be done by contractors or the people who own the engines the ships are leasing.

That isn't to say that she won't certainly be involved with basically everything that's broken everywhere, but she isn't in that job because she's an actual engineer. none of those people are on ships as a part of the crew.

Ah that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also warships are packed with people compared to just about anything short of a cruise ship, and there still isn't enough manpower. Most of those are enlisted idiots who are specialized in one field or another, or will become specialized at some point in their career once they start developing useful skills. In the meantime there is always something to be painted or something that needs to be carried around.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A.o.D. posted:

Battleship New Jersey still has doors that pass those tests. Wtf?!

To be fair the New Jersey probably didn’t try to gently caress a reef in Hawaii.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

vulturesrow posted:

Oh hai guys, long time no post. Hope none of you are still dumb enough to be in (says the lifer). Can confirm being a civilian is still great, 4 years into it.

:mad:

(52 days, job offer in hand)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I've got 6 guys to keep the engines turning. I'm also starting to get weekly calls for 1st jobs cause the number of people capable of making a 40 year old ship run is extremely limited. $1500/day, pension, medical, MPB + Feinberg, etc. Haven't even had to put in effort since I'm always following up incompetence, which makes it easy since the expectation was already "Just get the vessel home from China and you're good".

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Well, got my verbals for my shore tour, managed to snag my #1, an instructor slot at the FRS teaching Tritons, so back to Jax in August. :dance:

Best part is, my buddy/ roomate whose been stuck with me our whole time in the Navy (we swore in at the same NRD, did OCS, flight school and the FRS together and got the same squadron) is also going to the FRS to teach P-8s. :getin:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

It’ll always boggle my mind that the navy doesn’t have separate streams for engineering and deck officers.

And I say this as a guy who went through merchant marine deck officer school fully cognizant of how much loving harder the engineering coursework was. Thermodynamics? Yeah cool I’ll be over there doing spherical trig.

The Navy seems hellbent on doing things the hard, inconvenient and personnel-hostile way :v:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wibla posted:

The Navy seems hellbent on doing things the hard, inconvenient and personnel-hostile way :v:

Tradition.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ded posted:

Tradition.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

vulturesrow posted:

Oh hai guys, long time no post. Hope none of you are still dumb enough to be in (says the lifer). Can confirm being a civilian is still great, 4 years into it.

I have been out for 18 years and sometimes i wish i was back in??

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

titties posted:

I have been out for 18 years and sometimes i wish i was back in??

I miss being on the flight deck during flight ops. The thrill and loving around with buddies was some of the best experiences of my life. But that’s about it and being a civilian definitely out ways that one thing.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Well, got my verbals for my shore tour, managed to snag my #1, an instructor slot at the FRS teaching Tritons, so back to Jax in August. :dance:

Best part is, my buddy/ roomate whose been stuck with me our whole time in the Navy (we swore in at the same NRD, did OCS, flight school and the FRS together and got the same squadron) is also going to the FRS to teach P-8s. :getin:

Congrats. Enjoy that golden path!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Jimmy4400nav posted:

how are you an instructor you're been in like, four days...oh my god is time moving that fast? :|

nice work getting that slot though, should be pretty fun :)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That was 2017 :psyduck:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Congrats Jimmy, welcome back to the craziest place I've ever been, and I grew up in Nola. Well have to grab a beer some time.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Thanks guys! I'm still amazed I got this opportunity, super pumped to be learning a new platform! :)

M_Gargantua posted:

That was 2017 :psyduck:

Times flying that's for sure, I still feel like I just checked in, but I'm now one of the senior JOs, it feels really weird.

Thronde posted:

Congrats Jimmy, welcome back to the craziest place I've ever been, and I grew up in Nola. Well have to grab a beer some time.

Oh absolutely! Can't wait to see if Jax added more stops to the Ale Trail!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
you'll never stop being a JO hope this helps

that goes for every Sailor past and present

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s just Ukraine. Not “The Ukraine”.

Since 1991, at least.

I’m cycling back to this because over the past few days I’ve been watching CNN and they’ve been saying The Ukraine on a pretty regular basis.

Wolf blitzer also said it multiple times.

It’s definitely the way some people speak and not intended as a slight against the country.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Thanks guys! I'm still amazed I got this opportunity, super pumped to be learning a new platform! :)

Times flying that's for sure, I still feel like I just checked in, but I'm now one of the senior JOs, it feels really weird.

Welcome back to Jax and enjoy frs.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Dahlias Pour House closed sadly. Not sure about others since COVID, it hit a lot of smaller businesses hard. But there is a badass arvade/bar on king now, and Kickbacks is always good for beer choices. Murray Hill has some decent food and brew spots now too. Town center is like twice the size it was pre-Rona it seems.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

JAX has the Officers Club right outside base too!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Crab Dad posted:

JAX has the Officers Club right outside base too!

You mean Mayport or is there another one by NAS?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

King of Bees posted:

You mean Mayport or is there another one by NAS?

Oh my bad! Only went to Mayport.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm looking for my next orders as well, I've been told I have a spot at the new MQ-25 squadron if I want it. And maybe even if I don't, our commodore seemed really excited to get me in there. Seems like a cool gig, albeit based in Pax River. :awesomelon:

The El Centro Air Show was pretty nuts. Not a very big aircraft showing, but tons of people. We were the centerpiece of the static displays (and a welcome source of shade for people to park their chairs under). Blue Angels show was cool; one of the diamond jets went down in the line so it was a 3-plane formation, but they adapted very well.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Atlantic beach is great, used to just get a bottle of wine and get smashed with tinder dates on the beach at night

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm looking for my next orders as well, I've been told I have a spot at the new MQ-25 squadron if I want it. And maybe even if I don't, our commodore seemed really excited to get me in there. Seems like a cool gig, albeit based in Pax River. :awesomelon:

Would you actually have aircraft?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Red Crown posted:

Would you actually have aircraft?

A few, but the virtue of UAV's is you don't need a lot of airframes for operator training, especially on the tactical side.

Simulators will probably be a real hoot to get up and running though.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The El Centro Air Show was pretty nuts. Not a very big aircraft showing, but tons of people. We were the centerpiece of the static displays (and a welcome source of shade for people to park their chairs under). Blue Angels show was cool; one of the diamond jets went down in the line so it was a 3-plane formation, but they adapted very well.

What's the billet?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

What's the billet?

Don't know the details yet, it was just a quick heads up. Something involving syllabus development and training.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/LeeHudson_/status/1504511053039874050?t=pW2aeLlB4GWU-WswDf2uxw&s=19

What a dumb period post-9/11 was when we thought we'd never deal with peer or near peer again

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

At least y'all are getting some decent frigates soon, right? :haw:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Wibla posted:

At least y'all are getting some decent frigates soon, right? :haw:

Define soon and define decent.

The preproduction meetings I've been in don't give me a ton of hope. ALTHOUGH switching from cfe to mostly gfe program of record type stuff is a great change.

I mean the engines won't constantly fall apart. Probably.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
They'll lay down a displacement and what senors and weapons they want. After 10 years they'll come up with something twice as large and with 4 times the sensors and weapons, they'll authorize one to be built and then cancel it. Then the process starts over.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Woo found some AT orders to fleet week NYC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
https://jobs.smartrecruiters.com/CityAndCountyOfSanFrancisco1/743999810118794-h110-marine-engineer-of-fire-boats

Doesn't even require an unlimited, just some Cummins and some big rear end fire pumps so not like there's a lot to know.