Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I like CotP overall, but Sin ends up being a win more mechanic where if you overkill enemies enough you get strong equipment that makes it easier to overkill enemies on later maps to get even better equipment, etc. That, and it just isn't a hard enough game to make it feel like I need to Plume characters to get by, which kinda ruins that whole mechanic. I think if you kept the minimum Sin threshold but ditched the rewards for higher tiers it would be a better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

WrightOfWay posted:

I like CotP overall, but Sin ends up being a win more mechanic where if you overkill enemies enough you get strong equipment that makes it easier to overkill enemies on later maps to get even better equipment, etc. That, and it just isn't a hard enough game to make it feel like I need to Plume characters to get by, which kinda ruins that whole mechanic. I think if you kept the minimum Sin threshold but ditched the rewards for higher tiers it would be a better game.

Yeah, I'm with you in regards to Sin's potential feedback loop undermining the morality system, the Plume being the focal point of that.

From what I see, the base reason Sin existing is to set a minimum tactics/skill requirement on each map that is supposed to push you to use the Plume to keep up with it or bear the challenge presented to preserve your morality. It's a parallel system to Lenneth's performance rating at heart, with the same concept of "going for the best ending will make this harder", but with a lot more potential meaningful influence on the gameplay. Getting rid of the better rewards would definitely remedy the power loop, but then the whole deal you're struck with is more like work and loses that sense of reward and potential dark temptation.

There's something to be said for letting the player get really powerful though and giving such a rewarding power loop, particularly in the thematic nature of what you're doing. I think if you made running the Sin wrought too high overall rendering the same morality changes as using the plume a lot, it'd make doing it more of a question. You're brutalizing your foes in the name of Hel for greater power and riches, and that should be a slippery slope to darkness, but... it's not. It has no effect but accidentally making it easier to pursue the best ending, rather than making you question if your current moral standing can abide picking up extra sin for some good rewards right now. Hell, using the Plume alone gives you sin already, it'd fit into this new approach with little change.

I probably look back on it all as fondly as I do just because I was trash at the game when I first played it, and consequently using the Plume was always a question for me. Getting enough sin was sometimes difficult, and some missions pretty much needed me to make a sacrifice.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 12, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Been playing some of that FF Strangers of Paradise demo , and as dumb as I feel saying it, Im really interested in the story. Something about the world and the plot feel...off in a way that hints at something else going on, and the strange references made in level to descriptions to stuff like constructed world's and other dinensions really makes me wonder if there's something more to what seems to be a very generic 'time to kill Chaos' plot.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Basically the entire FF Megathread is extremely hype to kill Chaos, so you're in good company.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We should give Chaos a chance

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

We should give Chaos a chance

bullshit

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
to this day I'm still not sure if people are excited for Stranger of Paradise completely ironically or not

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jazerus posted:

bullshit

sonic adventure minigame hater here

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Junpei posted:

to this day I'm still not sure if people are excited for Stranger of Paradise completely ironically or not

Even ignoring the story it's a new game by the Nioh devs. It's gonna be a good game and people are right to be excited!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Junpei posted:

it looks really cool and the only reason i'm not planning on playing it rn is because march is stacked as it is

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Junpei posted:

I've been wondering that ever since the "Bullshit" video came out. It all felt like irony posting. But people in the FF thread assure me they are legitimately excited for the game so more power to them.

Although now I'm remembering all the talk from back then about the lack of women in a lot of FF games of late. And by "of late" I mean FFXV seven years ago and now this. Did FFXVI ever confirm a female party member? I remember that was up in the air.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm excited for the game the same way I'm excited for Fast and Furious movies. It looks dumb as all hell but a fun little action romp. If it wasn't in the middle of a stacked month for games I'd probably be picking it up soon after checking somr reviews.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Junpei posted:

both, simultaneously

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who has time to like things ironically any more?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I've been wondering that ever since the "Bullshit" video came out. It all felt like irony posting. But people in the FF thread assure me they are legitimately excited for the game so more power to them.

Although now I'm remembering all the talk from back then about the lack of women in a lot of FF games of late. And by "of late" I mean FFXV seven years ago and now this. Did FFXVI ever confirm a female party member? I remember that was up in the air.

SoP has 2 female party members though?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stranger of Paradise has five total party members, including two women. In singleplayer mode, you can only play as Jack, but if you're a multiplayer guest, you instead play as one of the other four while the host plays as Jack.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

SoP has 2 female party members though?

Bongo Bill posted:

Stranger of Paradise has five total party members, including two women. In singleplayer mode, you can only play as Jack, but if you're a multiplayer guest, you instead play as one of the other four while the host plays as Jack.

Fair enough. I only ever saw or heard about Jack and some other dudes.

So this is cool.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It just looks so... grimdark and emo. Every time I look at art of it I can faintly hear a "CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN" in the back of my head.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sounds sick to me.

Genuinely kinda weird and unique for that aesthetic to be played straight and sincerely these days so its pretty rad imo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If they play it completely straight throughout then it will be incredible.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough. I only ever saw or heard about Jack and some other dudes.

So this is cool.

It starts with the three guys. Not sure how long until they run into the women.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Junpei posted:

It just looks so... grimdark and emo. Every time I look at art of it I can faintly hear a "CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN" in the back of my head.

Strangers in paradise owns because there’s a non-zero chance that song will end up in the game somewhere.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Junpei posted:

Honestly after playing the demo, emo was the last thing on my mind while watching the cutscenes.

It is sincere about what it is though, and that should be lauded.

Srice fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 13, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

For the unfamiliar or posters who weren't really alive in the early 2000s, emo and nu-metal are not the same thing! Please be mindful of your words. Thank you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

It starts with the three guys. Not sure how long until they run into the women.

The first joins literally at the end of the first dungeon.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

exquisite tea posted:

If they play it completely straight throughout then it will be incredible.

From what I've seen of it, I'd say it's not so much playing it straight as leaning into its own goofiness with genuine self-love.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's definitely self aware to some extent. It just knows what it wants to be and embraces it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Did you not watch the trailer that establishes that Jack is, despite his apparent intensity and loathing of Chaos, also a friendly, self-actualized guy who strives to push his teammates ever forward and is in a committed and happy relationship with the princess? The same trailer that ends with Frank Sinatra's My Way? There is nothing ironic in this game, it appears to be genuine and sincere and happy being its own goofy thing

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yes this is what "playing it straight" means.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can’t wait for the explanation of why Jack Garland goes from sounding like a kinda generic gruff guy to Buff Piccolo, personally.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The game is weird because they went back and slightly changed that "Bullshit!" scene and it comes across as slightly even more hilarious and I have no idea why they would do that unless they really, really want to set Jack as being badass rather than ironically hilarious.

Plus, given Nojima is involved, I need to play this to find out if he pulls something incredibly stupid and 100% meant to be taken seriously

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into some boring bullshit meta story telling like the FF7 remake.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Yes this is what "playing it straight" means.

I prefer playing it homosexually

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
SoP is just KH but Dudes Rock and so it is art.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Games that are completely ridiculous but 110% earnest about all of its bullshit are the greatest

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ace Transmuter posted:

Games that are completely ridiculous but 110% earnest about all of its bullshit are the greatest

Shadow Hearts

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ace Transmuter posted:

Like what? Best I can come up with is Metal Gear Rising and Metal Wolf Chaos but I'm drawing a blank beyond that. EDF maybe?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

I prefer playing it homosexually

We have Gust for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We don't appear to have language to describe when a story is an unalloyed drama involving characters who are played straight in scenario without anything silly in it, but it nevertheless takes on comedic elements as a result of the framing and editing.