Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

VHGS posted:

Unequipping the shield doesn't do anything on its own, but he's using Bloodhound's Step to cover extra ground.

Ohhh, I wish I had tried that weapon for more than a few fights. Weapon just too slow and kind of ugly, but that step was sweet. Also meant to try the naruto-shadow-dash thing but never found it or just never equipped.

Lester Shy posted:

I think my biggest gripe is that the Roundtable sucks, and you'll probably spend more time in it than any other FromSoft hub area because the game's so big. The mandatory "Did my actions in the game have any effect on the dialogue here?" checks take forever.

Roundtable was great the first time you go there and there are some folks around but less than halfway through game it becomes a complete ghost town regardless of how well you progress their quests. Then even in the final moments of the game nobody gives a poo poo that you beat god, two fingers zonked out its maiden dead, smither smithin, spirit caller callin, nepheli moping, book jerk gone, empty sad fia bed. Also hosed up Boc was never invited to roundtable hold but he didn't care much when I killed god either. Just wish they'd crafted 3-4 other NPCs who always hang around the place and maybe have nothing epic going on, occasionally wanna see some necklace or gently point you towards some unexplored area BUT they aren't asking for some item that will eventually lead to them dying. At the end of the game they'll be like "oh my god i cant believe you beat up god, and we sure hope you decide to go with X Ending because of Y reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, I don't think Roundtable hold felt very satisfying and the its also a place in the real world!!!. Didn't add anything.

The game is frankly kind of chockful of opportunities to do better storytelling and then just lets em wither unsatisfyingly on the vine.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I just got lost in roundtable a lot. Never took the right hallway first try. Part of my issue with roundtable is my computer's load times aren't amazing so going there always felt like a chore. Also I like Hewg and all but nothing can ever really compare to Prithee Be Careful.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

hatty posted:

Going through the Snow Zone but Is it me or does someone at FROM have a vendetta against giants? seems like every game they're wiped out

David vs. Goliath. Humanity's war against giants is one of our oldest struggles.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

styls trill epic posted:

yes OP kindly direct me in the chat

https://twitch.tv/epic_core_count

for the new page

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
How to make sure you trigger a "death blow" after downing an enemy? I constantly have it happen where I run up to the glowing bit and hit R1 but somehow just do a normal hit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Barudak posted:

Yeah, I don't think Roundtable hold felt very satisfying and the its also a place in the real world!!!. Didn't add anything.

I still don’t understand the significance of it, aside from further implying that our Roundtable is actually in the Erdtree.

quote:

The game is frankly kind of chockful of opportunities to do better storytelling and then just lets em wither unsatisfyingly on the vine.

Agreed. Elden Ring went for quantity over quality, IMO, and that’s kinda disappointing. I still think that Bloodborne and Sekiro are the pinnacle of From storytelling, with the Dark Souls series in third.

I was hoping for batshit insanity ala Bloodborne, or sheer finesse ala Sekiro. Instead I kinda got…stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Barudak posted:

My Japanese co-workers are very, very salty that Americans post "fake wall ahead" and upvote it like crazy.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've been playing this game for like an hour. gently caress dogs. I don't want to see any more dogs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have bad news.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think Elden Ring is the most intersting of the souls borne story but to be honest I found Sekiro boring and bloodbornre relies to much on its twist

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Deformed Church posted:

I've been playing this game for like an hour. gently caress dogs. I don't want to see any more dogs.

You should check out the C-SPAM Covid thread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You should check out the C-SPAM Covid thread.

Haha I can’t believe the entire forum is talking about it

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Deformed Church posted:

dog ahead therefore try guard counter

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Darke GBF posted:

It's pretty weird that (second to last boss) Godfrey gets stronger when he murders his stand and goes full pro wrestler.

There is apparently an item in the game that explains why he did that, and if you don't own that item or know what it is it doesn't make any sense. For what it's worth, I don't know what the item is either, I heard this secondhand. The lion is a power limiter

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
my issue with this game's story is that it's just Dark Blood: Tarnished Die Twice. Complicated god-king lineages, check. Eldritch lifeforms, check. Spooky diseases, check. Divine young heirs to swear fealty to, check. I thought Dark Souls was really brilliant in its ability to convey a zombie apocalypse version of The Once and Future King, and Bloodborne did an excellent job integrating gothic monster stories with Lovecraftian monster stories.

But this is like what, the 7th iteration (6th if you don't count Sekiro) on their recurring themes? There's a limit to how many times I can feel interested in a story that goes: "You are a nasty little misfit toy. The land is ruled by freaky gods who don't want you to know that they're terminally ill. One of the freaky gods investigated fire and accidentally woke up Nyarlathotep. Everyone is turning into trees. People are really fixated on castration metaphors. Go gently caress this poo poo up, you could hardly make things worse. Maybe the best thing is if there were nothing left at all."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
grrm's contributions don't sit very well with from's storytelling style and it sort of dilutes elden ring's overall plot. you have the usual doleful world of parceled-out plot bits and on the other hand you need a drat flow chart to keep track of the demigod lineage and interpersonal squabbles holding it all together

one Big Revelation of elden ring is that marika and radagon are the same person and this won't have much impact for most players because its import is all tangled up in the demigod feud

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really not sure what to make of NG+. I'm back into the snowy areas and thus far it feels like the difficulty hasn't scaled up enough for a significant challenge, and I'm assuming there's nothing really new or noteworthy added into subsequent runs. Normally that wouldn't be much of a complaint and I appreciate that all the landmarks (and most other elements) carry over, but with a game of this scale I ask myself if my time wouldn't be better spent trying a different build on an entirely new run.

On the other hand the Sacred Relic Sword's wave of gold with a high faith build is an absolute laugh riot.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No Wave posted:

For stormveil you just walk through the courtyard and turn left, you access the pit from ground level.

Alcatraz you can only teleport to from somewhere very far away so hopping around won't get you anywhere.

Took care of that. Still dont know how to get the big lift working inside the castle

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Between this game and watching Raised by Wolves my nightmare fuel has been off the charts lately, and sleep is terrifying.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cephas posted:

my issue with this game's story is that it's just Dark Blood: Tarnished Die Twice. Complicated god-king lineages, check. Eldritch lifeforms, check. Spooky diseases, check. Divine young heirs to swear fealty to, check. I thought Dark Souls was really brilliant in its ability to convey a zombie apocalypse version of The Once and Future King, and Bloodborne did an excellent job integrating gothic monster stories with Lovecraftian monster stories.

But this is like what, the 7th iteration (6th if you don't count Sekiro) on their recurring themes? There's a limit to how many times I can feel interested in a story that goes: "You are a nasty little misfit toy. The land is ruled by freaky gods who don't want you to know that they're terminally ill. One of the freaky gods investigated fire and accidentally woke up Nyarlathotep. Everyone is turning into trees. People are really fixated on castration metaphors. Go gently caress this poo poo up, you could hardly make things worse. Maybe the best thing is if there were nothing left at all."

I on the other hand can’t get enough of that poo poo

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cephas posted:

The thing about the souls games is that they do go beyond the tropes. There are good stories tied up in the games that say stuff about real life. Things that are mostly questions that are never gonna be answered.

Like a simple one is: "why do you move forward, and not just give up in the face of the ultimate purposelessness of life".

nopants
May 29, 2004
i thought i had done just about everything i could do with my first play through. i have the two tough optional bosses left and two or three main bosses, and then i think i'm done. ive been trying to spoil myself as little as possible and just let quests fail if i cant figure out what to do. the idea is to do another playthrough with a different build next and then look up how to do all the quests properly.

however i have done a pure strength build my whole first playthrough and ive been powerstancing colossal swords for a while, and i was getting my butt kicked by mogh the blood lord. i switched to a great shield and i got him down to where he does the thing that kills you if you don't heal as he does it and also gives him a bunch of life back. i then went online to see if there is a strategy for something for that and ended up going back to mogh the omen boss room and finding out a whole new, huge zone reminiscent of the giant tree you can climb down in ds1.this game keep surprising me

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Pretty cool costume design, the top of this lady prisoner’s hat looks like an eyeball

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

grrm's contributions don't sit very well with from's storytelling style and it sort of dilutes elden ring's overall plot. you have the usual doleful world of parceled-out plot bits and on the other hand you need a drat flow chart to keep track of the demigod lineage and interpersonal squabbles holding it all together

one Big Revelation of elden ring is that marika and radagon are the same person and this won't have much impact for most players because its import is all tangled up in the demigod feud

IDK the game feels as vague and full of poo poo that you'll never understand without REALLY DIGGING as any other souls game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oxxidation posted:

I also have no loving idea how it impacts the story in any way shape or form. Not to say it doesn’t, but it just sorta…is something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bloodborne is the best story from's done and maybe the best "cosmic horror" type story period

the most thematically cohesive, tonally pitch-perfect, the couplet that ends Old Hunters is the most affecting thing the studio's written

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, finally got this and put ~10 hours into it. Been running all over the place, killed a couple big enemies/bosses (completed Morne, gotten to Margit, opened the wrong chest and got sent to the crystal mines), gotten to lvl... 20? and outside of levels I feel like I got jack poo poo to show for it, gear-wise? Feels like most items I've been finding out in the world are just crafting mats.

Other than my starting gear I found 6-7 weapons, 1 shield, a single pair of gloves, literally no incantations or sorceries, only 3 Ashes of War, a total of 8 smithing stones (1) and 2 smithing stones (2) of which has me really wary about putting them into my weapons since it looks like upgrades go to 25 now? what the gently caress. I haven't found any bows, I only found 1 cracked flask in the wild.

Am I just too early in the game, playing it wrong, or have previous souls games
skewed my expectations regarding the amount of gear you find just playing the game?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think Elden Ring is the most intersting of the souls borne story but to be honest I found Sekiro boring and bloodbornre relies to much on its twist

My only gripe with Bloodborne is that it's technically an RPG game but there's so many less options for playstyle than the other souls games. You either use the hammer for strength, whip cane for dex or saw things and arcane weapons for blood/magic. There's really only like 3-5 actual "builds" in the game and once you've played them all it's really boring to start again in my opinion.

Elden Ring changed this up dramatically by giving so many options to change the way you play constantly with spirits, ashes of war, horsey, and tons of weapons.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Starting a new run and I was wondering if it's known whether going to areas or beating bosses moves along NPC stories? I'd planned to grab the weapons and armor I want before starting any fights but I would also like to follow some of the stories I missed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I also have no loving idea how it impacts the story in any way shape or form. Not to say it doesn’t, but it just sorta…is something.

the impression i'm getting is that it was just one more part of marika's efforts to defy the greater will. it's still not clear whether she had a hand in killing godfrey - if she did, then that was step one of her plans, and if not, then it was the instigating factor - but her response to the assassination was to essentially marry herself with all the autonomy that implied

basically all of elden ring's plot can be summed up as "attack and dethrone god"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Office Pig posted:

I'm really not sure what to make of NG+. I'm back into the snowy areas and thus far it feels like the difficulty hasn't scaled up enough for a significant challenge, and I'm assuming there's nothing really new or noteworthy added into subsequent runs. Normally that wouldn't be much of a complaint and I appreciate that all the landmarks (and most other elements) carry over, but with a game of this scale I ask myself if my time wouldn't be better spent trying a different build on an entirely new run.

On the other hand the Sacred Relic Sword's wave of gold with a high faith build is an absolute laugh riot.

drat, do you not get a chance to start with a different build in NG+? I was considering going either pure STR or INT/FTH next time.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I've been needing only one smithing stone (8) for a long rear end time. *Does desperate prayer gesture*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

My only gripe with Bloodborne is that it's technically an RPG game but there's so many less options for playstyle than the other souls games. You either use the hammer for strength, whip cane for dex or saw things and arcane weapons for blood/magic. There's really only like 3-5 actual "builds" in the game and once you've played them all it's really boring to start again in my opinion.

Elden Ring changed this up dramatically by giving so many options to change the way you play constantly with spirits, ashes of war, horsey, and tons of weapons.

builds are one thing but just about every weapon in bloodborne is viable, with a couple gimmicky exceptions for the especially daring, and the variety in weapon styles and movesets gave me way more replayability than i had in any of the souls games

left to my own devices in souls, i just want a big stompy suit of armor and a sharp piece of metal that comes to a point

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

drat, do you not get a chance to start with a different build in NG+? I was considering going either pure STR or INT/FTH next time.

NG+? No I think you have to get all the way to Rennala with a larva tear. That's usually how NG+ works in souls games.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oxxidation posted:

the impression i'm getting is that it was just one more part of marika's efforts to defy the greater will. it's still not clear whether she had a hand in killing godfrey - if she did, then that was step one of her plans, and if not, then it was the instigating factor - but her response to the assassination was to essentially marry herself with all the autonomy that implied

basically all of elden ring's plot can be summed up as "attack and dethrone god"

But I thought Radagon existed independently of Marika? Did they fuse before or after Radagon dumped Rennala and married Marika? If it’s the latter, then it’s not really autonomous or single-lineage, it’s syncretism. If it’s the former, why bother with Rennala?

The more I think about this story, the more holes I poke in it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SHISHKABOB posted:

NG+? No I think you have to get all the way to Rennala with a larva tear. That's usually how NG+ works in souls games.

Rennala only lets you respec your stats, she doesn’t let you switch to Confessor or Hero or something.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

There are so many larva drops in a single run that you should never have an issue finding a reroll opportunity after killing the final boss unless you're extremely insecure about what you want to play or an insane person.

And you have to go to the round table after you finish to choose whether you want to start a new journey or not, so don't worry about the game pre-emptively shoving you into NG+

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

CRAYON posted:

Starting a new run and I was wondering if it's known whether going to areas or beating bosses moves along NPC stories? I'd planned to grab the weapons and armor I want before starting any fights but I would also like to follow some of the stories I missed.

I tried going back to the warmasters shack a while ago to find an ash of war and the dude there was no longer in the cabin and i got surprise invaded by a copy of Elmer Fudd from the shaded castle to do that hard bossfight again. It said he was a "bell bearing hunter" and he dropped a bone collector ball bearing which allows the dried up twins to sell thin and hefty beast bones. I can't tell if it was a scripted event or if the game noticed me killing like 50 goats in 10 minutes for arrow crafting. The guy still hasn't shown up at warmasters shack again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Rennala only lets you respec your stats, she doesn’t let you switch to Confessor or Hero or something.

Oh... yeah I have to imagine you're locked into your base stats. I'm like level 160 before doing NG+ so it's not a big deal for me, but I can see how that would be annoying at like 100 or something.