Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

RandomBlue posted:

Right click hold? WTF?

It’s fine as a control scheme when you want left click to select and right click to perform a default action. Don’t know that it was actually explained anywhere in game though. I had to learn it by looking up how to rebase fleets. The manual might’ve mentioned it, but who even reads those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Another DW2 tip, if you are short on X resource, read the frikkin description. I had a trickle of one used to build hyperspace drives that could actually leave my system. I auto explored 3 entire systems and could barely make any hyperspace ships. I read the description "common in volcanic and carbonaceos planets"

Took manual control and just jumped system to system only surveying said planets. 10 min later problem solved everybody can jump hyperspace

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Speaking of resources, is the Caslon shortage in the resource panel just wrong? I’ve never not been negative, but it hasn’t stopped me doing things that I’ve noticed. It also shows up in a strange place when the list sorted by shortfall. It’ll be a negative number but between two positive numbers.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
The ai pathing is basically a Roomba. Had a colony ship want to automatically go to a far flung station to buy ftl fuel then return to pick up colonists when it would have been faster to just pick up colonists then slow-ftl to the planet which I manually set it to do. On the flip I don't know that I want hundreds to thousands of individual ships doing checks to see how long it would take to fulfill missions to decide whether to override things like fueling up first, seems like a good way to force end game CPU crawl like in Stellaris. I'm also not sure if it's a bug that's allowing ships with no fuel to go FTL albeit much slower.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

chglcu posted:

Speaking of resources, is the Caslon shortage in the resource panel just wrong? I’ve never not been negative, but it hasn’t stopped me doing things that I’ve noticed. It also shows up in a strange place when the list sorted by shortfall. It’ll be a negative number but between two positive numbers.

I have this too. Caslon is fuel that gets used all the time, I wonder it's only calculating specific storage points? Or any ship that isnt 100% fueled some how factors into the deficit? That said I put a mining station on any gas giant that has it

chglcu
May 17, 2007

A very minor thing that’s bugging me in DW2 is that all the galaxies are circular. I can’t really do the thing I did in DW1 and use one of the non circular galaxies and pretend I’m in a small chunk of a much bigger galaxy, which makes the small number of stars require less suspension of disbelief.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

chglcu posted:

It’s fine as a control scheme when you want left click to select and right click to perform a default action. Don’t know that it was actually explained anywhere in game though. I had to learn it by looking up how to rebase fleets. The manual might’ve mentioned it, but who even reads those?

It is not in the tutorial, which is very weird considering it's 18 pages of text long. Seems pretty important.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bloodly posted:

Pretty much all the playables are the ones with serious negative feelings to each other. Look at, say the Securans or Ikkuro modifiers in the Galactopedia as compared to, say, even the Zenox.

War is bound to happen. Also most of the races chosen have powerful troops, the Teekan and the Ackdarian are the exceptions.
No I mean if you look at the selection screen at game start all the non-mammals have big ol' xenophobia modifiers and "these guys fuckin' hate everyone" while the mammals are all "Hey we love meeting new people"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Game crashed on me after half an hour...I think I'll wait for a few more patches.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RandomBlue posted:

First start right after buying none of my ships would work, they were constantly stuck in construction. Sometimes they'd finish for a sec then go right back in. Thought it was some weird construction bug but it turns out the game started my colony in the middle of a huge ion storm and it was completely unplayable.

:shrug:

e: zero notification on the ships as to what was wrong, no damage or missing parts, full fuel and energy, just wouldn't accept commands even in manual. I only found out by turning on the nebula overlay, though the screen flashes and thunder sounds were some indicator. Just thought that was ambient effects though.

The RNG it seems can be really cruel in DW2. :v: Though I hope a later balance patch can tighten that poo poo up, like e.g. giving a starting empire a small nebula exclusion zone or something.

Now that I had time to go back and play my Teekan-game a bit longer, I think I really like DW2. The "only one type of fuel"-thing already saved my rear end, because in DW1 I sometimes ran into the problem of all nearby gas giants at game start having the wrong type of fuel. (I think in my longest running DW1-game I was suffering a constant shortage until I eventually developed a reactor type with the other kind of fuel, allowing me to retrofit and switch over.)

Also the RNG seems to be really nice to me so far: Tons of asteroids, planets and moons with tons of useful resources, and at least one another planet good enough (basically homeworld-quality) for colonization -and I haven't even explored more than 3 out of the 7 planets in my homesystem yet!

In fact, I haven't yet managed to properly survey the huge ring of asteroids around my homeworld, because the explorer I assigned to the asteroid ring didn't manage to finish its work yet, ha ha

The only thing I have yet to puzzle out is that one constructor that has been stuck on "picking up computer core" for years now. I'm assuming it's related to ancient tech stuff my people found by exploring their homeworld and the asteroid ring, but I have no idea what the constructor is even doing, as its task doesn't come with a time limit or a progress bar or anything. Since I'm fearing that I'm missing out on something cool, I kept that ship on whatever it is its doing, and just used the other constructors for work.

What I'm slowly seeing is my private sector going nuts, as soon as the first mining stations and my first spaceport went online, the private sector started building tons of ships and now my growing empire is getting busy. I like to pretend this massive private expansion is due to our state being a Merchant Guild. All those trading guilds need their ships, after all. :allears:

Another improvement over DW1 I've noticed: The research automatically tries to select your next research project and so far every selection made sense or was something I wanted to research anyway. Kind of spooky, actually.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

The only thing I have yet to puzzle out is that one constructor that is stuck on "picking up computer core" for years. I'm assuming it's related to ancient tech stuff my people found by exploring their homeworld and the asteroid ring, but I have no idea what the constructor is even doing, as its task doesn't come with a time limit or a progress bar or anything. Since I'm fearing that I'm missing out on something cool, I kept that ship on whatever it is its doing, and just used the other constructors for work.

I think that guy’s just stuck. I haven’t had that take more than a few seconds that I’ve noticed. Admittedly I haven’t really been keeping a close eye on my constructors.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RandomBlue posted:

First start right after buying none of my ships would work, they were constantly stuck in construction. Sometimes they'd finish for a sec then go right back in. Thought it was some weird construction bug but it turns out the game started my colony in the middle of a huge ion storm and it was completely unplayable.

:shrug:

e: zero notification on the ships as to what was wrong, no damage or missing parts, full fuel and energy, just wouldn't accept commands even in manual. I only found out by turning on the nebula overlay, though the screen flashes and thunder sounds were some indicator. Just thought that was ambient effects though.
I had an independent colony in my starting system and the narrative just did not acknowledge it. Absolutely gobsmacked to find out that there are aliens, well, aliens other than the guys we formed a limited trade agreement with at game start and presumably have been talking to since we rediscovered radio.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

chglcu posted:

A very minor thing that’s bugging me in DW2 is that all the galaxies are circular. I can’t really do the thing I did in DW1 and use one of the non circular galaxies and pretend I’m in a small chunk of a much bigger galaxy, which makes the small number of stars require less suspension of disbelief.

Oh god yes. I just don’t buy the galaxy illusion in these games and always opt for a sector. It’d be great if there was a but more variance in a sector-like distribution, too, with mire pronounced no fly zones etc.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Anyone know if they're planning on adding workshop support for mods?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What determines when your territory expands in dw2? Can't see anything in the pedia. I've got lots of stations in blank territory but it won't expand

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

chglcu posted:

I don't really understand this complaint, even irregular star clusters are roughly circular, I mean "spherical" OK fine, but close enough.

For immersion purposes, an invisible barrier preventing you from leaving an arbitrary rectangular chunk or a circular cluster is exactly the same -in both cases you have to event some reason for why your ships can't leave the map to not break immersion

(my preferred options are "irregular cluster slightly above the galactic disc and all around the cluster are huge stretches of impassable halo" and "there's some freaky dark matter zone or weird super-nebula preventing ships moving through hyperspace in that direction" :v:

Edit:

Jarvisi posted:

What determines when your territory expands in dw2? Can't see anything in the pedia. I've got lots of stations in blank territory but it won't expand

There are still colony range options in game set-up, so I'm guessing it works the same as in DW1: You need a new colony around that blank territory for your territory to expand into Blankvania and cover it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

I don't really understand this complaint, even irregular star clusters are roughly circular, I mean "spherical" OK fine, but close enough.

For immersion purposes, an invisible barrier preventing you from leaving an arbitrary rectangular chunk or a circular cluster is exactly the same -in both cases you have to event some reason for why your ships can't leave the map to not break immersion
That's why a single spiral arm is the pro option.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

(my preferred options are "irregular cluster slightly above the galactic disc and all around the cluster are huge stretches of impassable halo" and "there's some freaky dark matter zone or weird super-nebula preventing ships moving through hyperspace in that direction" :v:

Yeah, the border stopping you is also immersion breaking, but having stars extend all the way to the square borders feels more like "and there's more past here, just ignore it" to me, while a circular galaxy looking thing says "this is all there is." Like I said, it's a very minor thing, and common enough in the genre.

An interesting idea would be an unbounded map that expands in whichever directions you explore, though that's technologically tricky. I might have to play with that if I ever get around to working on the 4X I've always meant to make. DW2 is definitely triggering the itch to work on it, like DW1 did before it.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

iirc in the manual it says colony, specially large one extends your border.

chaosapiant posted:

How’s the art and presentation of DW2 for those of you playing? Gooder than DW1?
I bounced off DW1 pretty hard, and actually now that I played DW2 I just went back to try it again and still couldn't really get into it. The presentation in DW2 is better. The way messages and suggestions are displayed made it easier to keep track of what your automation are up to (though after a few hours, I feel I don't even need to be notified or approved for most things). It's easier to organize your fleet with the template system. Ship design is easier and more structured with slots.

I'd say for someone coming from Stellaris, start with a higher tech setting (level 1 or 2) is a good idea, it speeds up the early game, unlocking the basic options for most things so you actually have some choices to make. Leave fleet creation, ship construction, and diplomacy on manual, rest can all be automated.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 14, 2022

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

chglcu posted:

Ha, I have the exact same gripe. That and the non orbiting planets is ruining my immersion!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Played some Shadows of Forbidden Gods. I like it a lot, it's right up my alley. There's a whole lot of interesting strategies that you can do. Reminds me a little bit of AI War but it's very unique. I can't think of a different game quite like it.

The UI is really not great though, unfortunately. It's not THAT bad but certain information takes too many clicks to get to and it not displayed in a very convenient way.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Jeez. Tried doing an advance start game on tech level 2. Stayed in my home system to be safe, still get eight pirate factions all threatening me in the first month.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How do you tell a fleet to group up before attacking? If I directly target an enemy they ask die to in dribs and drabs. Also how do I auto a fleet without autoing its composition?

E: is there a dw thread yet?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Move them right next to where you want to attack, then when they arrive, move them again.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Splicer posted:

How do you tell a fleet to group up before attacking? If I directly target an enemy they ask die to in dribs and drabs. Also how do I auto a fleet without autoing its composition?

E: is there a dw thread yet?

DWU had "Prepare and Attack" and it's really weird that that didn't make the jump forward.

As for autofleets, setting the fleet to auto (as in giving it a posture besides manual) and setting whatever automation under Military you want, but disabling the three automation options under Fleet for composition, ship management, and posture should accomplish what you seem to want.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Zurai posted:

This is how you accidentally cause a planet to cease existing.

I DID THAT ONCE! ONCE!

Grumble gumble.

anyway, I'm liking DW2, though the local Hakonish seem to have gotten themselves trapped in the middle of the other empires with a single world and have picked my four world empire as their sworn enemy.
The only reason they are still alive is its early game and I don't have the resources to take a homeworld yet.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Every game I’ve tried with pirates enabled has had one group of them that will offer a protection agreement, then immediately violate it and become furious at me when my ships fire in defense, and then keep repeating the same sequence every time I manage to negotiate a new protection agreement. It’s making the early game really annoying. Pretty sure I’m just going to leave them disabled for now, even though it does make the early game a bit more boring.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Another patch today with more crash fixes and display troubleshooting, but also this:

quote:

- asteroids are now explored much quicker than planets, moons or stars (for both scan and survey)

which is a drat good change.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

chglcu posted:

Every game I’ve tried with pirates enabled has had one group of them that will offer a protection agreement, then immediately violate it and become furious at me when my ships fire in defense, and then keep repeating the same sequence every time I manage to negotiate a new protection agreement. It’s making the early game really annoying. Pretty sure I’m just going to leave them disabled for now, even though it does make the early game a bit more boring.

sounds accurate tbqh, hope they keep that feature

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Squiggle posted:

Another patch today with more crash fixes and display troubleshooting, but also this:

Holy poo poo! But only after 90% of the debris ring around my homeworld has been explored, of course :shepface:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Squiggle posted:

Oh thank christ

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I like how luxury fish scales has a three page treatise on who when where what and how of everything, but the research tree is just "It's called a Thuon Beam, whaddaya want from me here"

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so stellaris is decent now? i havent played it in years at this point.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

queeb posted:

so stellaris is decent now? i havent played it in years at this point.

Eh. Depends on what you're after really. The early and mid game is great, but the automation systems for colonies are still poo poo so if what turned you off was microing colonies then you're still hosed. If I didn't have to manually control every little aspect of my colonies until they're completely set up I'd probably still be playing it. I do mod the poo poo out of it though, so I'm unsure how much fun unmodded Stellaris is these days. I don't think I've played without Guilliman's stuff and a host of other planetary and event mods for years at this point.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I like how luxury fish scales has a three page treatise on who when where what and how of everything, but the research tree is just "It's called a Thuon Beam, whaddaya want from me here"

A Thuon Beam is apparently a music and girl power based weapon. Very futuristic!

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Getting in to DW2 as well. Does the rule of thumb of resources adding up to 120% for mining stations to be worth it still hold? Wondering if I should ignore this 20% silicon deposit, and all these 2-4% steel asteroids, even while having no mining stations on those resources yet.

Edit: Also is there no way to send out a "repair ship" of some kind? My explorer got attacked and their reactor is offline, and taking forever to get back to repair. I was trying to use a construction ship to help but didn't seem to have an option.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Edit: Also is there no way to send out a "repair ship" of some kind? My explorer got attacked and their reactor is offline, and taking forever to get back to repair. I was trying to use a construction ship to help but didn't seem to have an option.

Construction ships do that job, you need to long-right click/ctrl-right click on the disabled ship and the option to "Build <name of ship> should appear.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Not getting that option with a constructor selected, only "move to." Do I need a technology first? Though I also notice that the explorer itself still has the order option "escape from Secret Stronghold" - is it maybe still technically "engaged" in a fight, which would block a repair option from showing?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Getting in to DW2 as well. Does the rule of thumb of resources adding up to 120% for mining stations to be worth it still hold? Wondering if I should ignore this 20% silicon deposit, and all these 2-4% steel asteroids, even while having no mining stations on those resources yet.

120? Whoa, no, I'm cool with 60% + or 20% if I'm high and who really cares

Also the mining stations have a range so all those little asteroids can add up fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i just build mining station on poo poo the game says I have a shortage off and don't worry about the cost because lol that's the private sectors problem