Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

She looks like a pug.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

this works as cool art

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

She looks like a pug.

She looks like the sort of karen that would go viral on Twitter for dropping an n-word because some Black guy was wearing a hoodie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Look at this loving criminal mastermind loudly talking about kidnapping two girls right next to the guy who beat him up a couple of hours ago.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (May 19-21, 1938)

US history in a single sentence.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Alhazred posted:

Look at this loving criminal mastermind loudly talking about kidnapping two girls right next to the guy who beat him up a couple of hours ago.

Even the bartender, who apparently is aware of his crimes, is telling him this one is a bad idea

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Meanwhile, even on your better comics, GC commenters are still GC commenters.

"Modern art" as a movement began in the mid 1800's and is not the same as abstract art. Abstract art in western culture really started taking off around the early 1900's, but if you are willing to include non-white traditions it's roots go back much longer than that. Even by the most restrictive definitions, both modern and abstract art are not some newfangled garbage dumb art students came up with so they don't have to learn to draw, but are older than all of us, and probably all of our grandads.

But I guess I shouldn't expect a dumb bear to know much about art, even if he is wearing a monocle.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
modern art more like modern fart lol got em they should make me king of art

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

they should make me king of fart

#rekt

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I am the true and rightful king of fart and will strike down all pretenders

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Samovar posted:

In today's CW'd Blueberry violence against women: Blueberry gets cancelled FOR REAL, or The gang get into church desecration, or $500,000 in gold is heavy?! Who on Earth could have guessed?!

Reading all your Blueberry posts has prompted me to pick up a couple of volumes (in French, but Google Lens gives me the gist well enough to follow what's happening). Have to say I love this Pearl arc, though; something about the sheer number of people working plots and counter-plots against each other while Blueberry tries to glide through the centre of them all without being killed really appeals.

What's your opinion of the Young Blueberry series? I got Le Raid Infernal because I'm a big fan of Colin Wilson's art from his 2000AD work on Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper, but the story felt kind of... straightforward? compared to what I've seen of the main series.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

And rap? More like crap :smug: .

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mercury Hat posted:

And rap? More like crap :smug: .

this mf just wrote a month's worth of curtis strips

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, winner of the Les Moore Prize For Huffing Your Own Farts.

For the love of dignity just play her off already

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Haifisch posted:

A true hero of the people. :patriot:

2018 Spiderman
What belt do you have to be to jump off of the top of buildings and not smear yourself across the street below?

EasyEW posted:

:siren: LES MOORE GETS HIS UNDESERVED VICTORY LAP :siren:

Must be really difficult drawing/writing these comics one-handed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Payndz posted:

What's your opinion of the Young Blueberry series? I got Le Raid Infernal because I'm a big fan of Colin Wilson's art from his 2000AD work on Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper, but the story felt kind of... straightforward? compared to what I've seen of the main series.

Glad to hear my posts have worked in getting you to pick 'em up proper - hope you like the colour for once! But as for my opinion on young Blueberry... I haven't read it yet (I did know it should be coming up, though)! I do have to admit, with the amount of plotting/counter-plotting in the series, it reminds me of how people talk about how fights happen in JoJo.

BTW, a question - would you say my translation work is... appropriate? I mean, I have changed it every so often (with given excuses), but I would always welcome outside opinion on it - I am, after all, not an official translator, just a pure amateur.

...and on that note, in today's Blueberry: Pearl gets left in the lurch, or Pearl invokes the spirit of Charles Julius Guiteau in shooting, but thankfully not in any other way (if you want to know more about the boy in question, please find the episode on Presidential assassinations by the History Honeys to get an idea of how much he was a pre-cursor to Ignatius J. Reilly), or Looks like Pearl is going to be entertaining even MORE guests...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate Year 1 (Jan 9-10, 1991)

Listen hear you little poo poo...

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

:woop: YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH :woop:

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shugojin posted:

i cannot loving believe this

They misspelled "dammit".

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: family (May 1-7, 2006)

I think this is a good time to catch up on things, for those who don't know the backstory (or have forgotten it).

Danielle Kindle was Kevin's sister. She got involved with a rabbit supremacist group, but then repented and helped put them behind bars; she then went into "witness protection," living in Kevin and Kell's house. (June-July 2003.) As she lived there and worked for Kevin's business, she started falling in love with George Fennec. (July-August 2003.)

The rabbit supremacist group caught up with her, and together with her family and George hatched a plan to get rid of the group for good; they ultimately managed to, but in the process Danielle was killed. (September 2003.)

Meanwhile: in the Bermuda Triangle, there's a portal between the K&K universe and the human universe; an unscrupulous company used it to dispose of waste, flinging it through the portal to the other side. This ended when the Great Bird Conspiracy set up a trampoline, to bounce the trash back.

Danielle Kendall is the human world counterpart of Danielle Kindle, and an IRS auditor. She found out about the illegal waste disposal, and when the company explained what they were doing to her, she demanded to see it. They agreed, and did so by flinging her through the portal, assuming she'd bounce back. But she didn't: by sheer coincidence, the trampoline had fallen down in a storm, so Danielle went through to the K&K universe, turning into a rabbit in the process. She was rescued from the sea, and brought to the city of Domain, where she took over her counterpart's life. At first she was looking for a way to go back, but then she fell in love with George too, and decided to stay. (October 2003.) Eventually, George proposed, and she accepted. (December 2003.)

Some other stuff happened, and eventually Danielle revealed the truth to her friends and family at her wedding (February 2004), but still decided to stay in the K&K universe, despite having the chance to go back.

However, what this all means is: Danielle Kendall basically disappeared from the human universe, leaving behind friends and family. Depending on whether the "truth" came out, she either is a missing person, or everyone thinks she was murdered and her body dumped at sea by an unscrupulous company to cover up their dirty dealings. So that's fun.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Yeah :mad:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Sheffield’s sport paper, which came out on a Saturday afternoon after the football had finished, was really called the Green ‘Un. It ceased publication in 2013, after more than 100 years.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

riderchop posted:

:woop: YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH :woop:

Absolutely screaming over the Overboard guy's commitment to never referencing an octopus for his drawings.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Two extra balls would be a 194 break ((1+9)*15+44)

I suppose you could make the high ball worth 10.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Samovar posted:

Glad to hear my posts have worked in getting you to pick 'em up proper - hope you like the colour for once! But as for my opinion on young Blueberry... I haven't read it yet (I did know it should be coming up, though)! I do have to admit, with the amount of plotting/counter-plotting in the series, it reminds me of how people talk about how fights happen in JoJo.

BTW, a question - would you say my translation work is... appropriate? I mean, I have changed it every so often (with given excuses), but I would always welcome outside opinion on it - I am, after all, not an official translator, just a pure amateur.
The translation is fine, and I'm glad you're doing it! It's a lot of work, and it is much appreciated. I have no problem with changing dialogue to get rid of overt racism, etc; the story is still the same without it. I don't mind the odd unobtrusive joke creeping in either (like that Ghostbusters gag).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nori

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy is the victim of bad data entry. For some reason, the March 13 strip on Gocomics links to January 13, so I wonder if someone typed a 1 instead of a 3 someplace.

Brenda Starr 5/6-8/48

Smokey Stover 9/22/46

Everyday Movies 12/8/34

"You know, Mopey, this dame Mae West has driven Katharine Hepburn right out of my heart."

West and Hepburn were just beginning their movie careers at this point.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 26, 1950)

What the heck is that baby cat toy in the first panel, Arn looks more distressed than amused and I don't blame him

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Payndz posted:

The translation is fine, and I'm glad you're doing it! It's a lot of work, and it is much appreciated. I have no problem with changing dialogue to get rid of overt racism, etc; the story is still the same without it. I don't mind the odd unobtrusive joke creeping in either (like that Ghostbusters gag).

Hooray!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

goatface posted:

Two extra balls would be a 194 break ((1+9)*15+44)

I suppose you could make the high ball worth 10.
That is indeed what they did.

I have many complaints about John Allison's comics, but "not doing the research" generally isn't one of them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

NRVNQSR posted:

That is indeed what they did.

I have many complaints about John Allison's comics, but "not doing the research" generally isn't one of them.

Well. I did not imagine people would gently caress with so established a format as snooker. The heretics got what they deserved.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, winner of the Les Moore Prize For Huffing Your Own Farts.

THE CHINESE BOX OFFICE

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "90 - Jucika Wants To Have Fun"

"91 - Jucika's First Vote" NSFW Nudity

"szavazó helyiség = Voting room"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 26, 1950)

What the heck is that baby cat toy in the first panel, Arn looks more distressed than amused and I don't blame him

I am of the opinion that under a certain age there's really no difference between pet toys and baby toys.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I knew the day would come when cryptocurrencies penetrated far enough into the mainstream that newspaper comics would start trying to make jokes about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Green Intern posted:

I am of the opinion that under a certain age there's really no difference between pet toys and baby toys.

They both equally go in mouths