Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- Sometimes I'll go like 10+ turns in a row where I don't really make any progress or spend a huge, almost infuriating amount of time loving around on the world map moving armies to deal with invaders from various places and waiting for new units to be recruited. This is kind of concerning because a lot of other people I see will cheerily just paint the map turn by turn and not worry too much. Am I loving up?

This is mostly a campaign to campaign thing. Some campaigns can make easy forward progress and some campaigns get stuck in fire extinguishing mode simply due to positioning/initial wars. Kislev starts out with a lot of enemies and a lot of fires to put out, and has a relatively slow starting economy, so it's not unusual to get stuck running around dealing with invaders and patching damaged armies up. Don't sweat it that much.

quote:

- is there an 'objectively' good order of conquest for Kislev or should I just be going for whatever's easiest to capture?

Conquer the initial eastern oblast, then Praag to wipe out the Ropsmenn, then probably grab the northern oblast or Hell Pit. You can generally get the rest of Kislev through confederation and beating Kostaltyn in the popularity contest so you don't need to move west.

quote:

- How many armies should you have 'on the go' at a time? This is for the Kislev campaign, I'm gonna start again as the Tsarina

As many as you can afford without compromising the quality of those armies or bankrupting you. At the very beginning that'll be one, then probably around when you take Praag you can afford to slap together a cheap second half-stack. One trick I recommend is to pre-emptively train your next army's commander. An example of how to do this is to hire a Boyar at the beginning and just have him follow Katarin around and reinforce her without giving him any units. This will get him levels so that when you're ready to form your second army it has an experienced leader ready to go rather than a level 1 nobody, and then you can hire another new lord to follow Katarin or the Boyar again to train to get ready for your third stack, etc.

quote:

- someone I was playing vermintide with told me that the game likes to throw curveballs at you from time to time, so while it won't make a ton of sense for a faction to suddenly have a super-doomstack, it does because they don't really want the game to be piss-easy and have you effectively win it by turn 80 and have to wait till turn 130 just mopping up. is this true or am I just not catching guys before they become too strong?

This...isn't a thing. Sometimes a faction can snowball out of control and end up really strong and roll up on you with some extremely nasty stuff, and the AI absolutely has tons of economy cheats, but they don't have "losing faction instantly spawns a doomstack" cheats.

quote:

- I'm seriously intimidated by the demon portal things and never went into them, I figured you'd need an endgame doomstack army to survive. Am I being way too cautious?

They get more dangerous with each roar; the first roar portals are perfectly doable with low tier crapstacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Gonkish posted:

I'm wondering if the Counts will get some form of reinforcement timer reduction or something. Especially early game skelly stacks are really all you can afford, and at least in WH2 you relied heavily on numbers to get the job done in the early game. Same problem applies to the Tomb Kings, now that I think about it. How are they going to compensate the factions that really, really want/need to bring numbers to compensate for their poo poo-tier infantry?

I mean, I'm sure they've got something cooked up. I'm just wondering what it could be. Spell intensity is probably one of those things (for the Counts, at least, TK are still going to suffer), but the reinforcement changes are another thing entirely.

Eh 2 minutes ain't nothing unless you're picking really lopsided fights. The AI will also hold a defensive posture if you're the aggressor. Vamp Counts will just have to pay attention to their military recruitment buildings for once, rely on their S tier access to great lords and heroes and lest we forget :black101: Raise Dead is one of the best faction powers in the game.

If you're relying exclusively on elegant Total War core gameplay with pure skelly stacks you've made an error in campaign progress, you're in a rough spot and hopefully a likely loss isn't the end of the world or you're making a user error like trying to play Skaven as a frontline faction. Which is how I learned WH2 as my first ever TW title because obviously Queek was the coolest character in the roster in vanilla WH2.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 14, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Kanos posted:

On a whim I decided to try these two mods out, a mod that buffs the daemon prince's gear so that there are actual build options on him besides "flying mortis engine with summons", and an "additional win conditions" mod there, and honestly my enjoyment level is so much higher that it's like night and day. Being able to do wide sweeping expansion because I don't have to ensure I have heroes in place to whack a mole a zillion rifts and being able to rely on having my LL able to participate on the campaign map instead of alternating between realm dives and rehab time at home is immensely liberating.

As an interesting side effect, the main AI factions seem to be coalescing into really nasty deathballs because their LLs are on the map and fighting instead of doing the realms.

I'm seeing the same thing in terms of the AI factions with chaos lands disabled. Sharp drop off in field battles though, obviously, but I'm still able to ambush my way around. Would you be so kind as to point me towards the daemon prince mod?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Also, gear such as forbidden rod are definitely adding to my reserves.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thedicemusroll, seems like you had the same experience as me, Kislev is tough, I had to restart the campaign multiple times to get a very good start. I think everyone here said it wasn't really a good starter campaign. The chaos rifts seem really scary at first but they are really weak until much later. It is kinda scary though to have those in the heart of your economy out of nowhere. Just subverts all the expectations you usually have while playing TW games. I've gotten pretty far in my Kislev normal campaign now, I feel like I will probably try VH next. Basically confederated with all the Kislevite factions, won the supporter count vs Rasputin, got Boris. I did lose two battles with my shitstacks vs Skarbrand/Kugath but after taking out a whole bunch of their armies. Skarbrand is really something else in this game.

Btw how are you suppose to use War sleds, I haven't typically used any factions with missile cavalry type units in previous games. I keep hearing everyone says they are good but I haven't had much use for them. Surprisingly cav are really good in settlement siege in this game compared to last since there are no walls and you can go cap supply points distract elite units.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

It's the generic "Corrupted by Nurgle" trait you get from being in a region with high Nurgle corruption. It's unremovable unlike the Realm of Chaos traits, and it affects your replenishment which is a death-nail for Slaanesh + Tzeentch cause they barely have any.

I got this on everybody in a lord stack with 4 heroes. The traits stack! You can’t remove them! This stack has a -25% replenishment rate, -25 control, and + 10 nurgle corruption.

I think demons should be immune to these kind of traits, but whatever.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ulio posted:

Thedicemusroll, seems like you had the same experience as me, Kislev is tough, I had to restart the campaign multiple times to get a very good start. I think everyone here said it wasn't really a good starter campaign. The chaos rifts seem really scary at first but they are really weak until much later. It is kinda scary though to have those in the heart of your economy out of nowhere. Just subverts all the expectations you usually have while playing TW games. I've gotten pretty far in my Kislev normal campaign now, I feel like I will probably try VH next. Basically confederated with all the Kislevite factions, won the supporter count vs Rasputin, got Boris. I did lose two battles with my shitstacks vs Skarbrand/Kugath but after taking out a whole bunch of their armies. Skarbrand is really something else in this game.

Btw how are you suppose to use War sleds, I haven't typically used any factions with missile cavalry type units in previous games. I keep hearing everyone says they are good but I haven't had much use for them. Surprisingly cav are really good in settlement siege in this game compared to last since there are no walls and you can go cap supply points distract elite units.

War sleds are just super effective. Get like 6 of them and split into two groups of three. Use them to shoot at high value targets and cycle charge them into infantry and run around. Then put them on fire at will later after killing most of the chaff.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Hey I figured out why Nurgle plagues are always 8 turns in duration. It's +5 turns duration in high Nurgle corruption areas. Makes sense, right? You gently caress around with plagues and ignore rifts and -corruption, you find out, right? Totally reasonable? Oh except every time you try to fight Nurgle factions in areas they own guess what the default corruption levels are gonna be. Actively fighting Nurgle armies, destroying Nurgle factions? Unavoidable plague contact. Get hosed, idiot player! Just do something simple and reasonable like have 5+ -corruption heroes orbiting your offense army. Hope balance patch addresses that.

In happier news banged out a rift race VH Ogre win in no time flat, only holding 1.6 provinces the entire time. As powerful as Skrag is Greasus is a perfectly cromulent and good LL. The stuff he does to enrich his faction and his personal army are real good, I spent the entire campaign with enormous buffer states of ogres on all sides and with an early side research and 1 skill point all your camps will level twice as fast. He also beat Skarbrand in a 1vMostly1 in the first realm again even after a really bad engage(SkarB hits twice, 40% health gone, what do), good stuff. And perhaps mostly importantly... Greasus gets what I'd say is the absolute, hands down, best starting province in all 3 games, across all factions. It is trivially easy with ONE province to maintain your LL stack with full T4-5, whatever camps you want to reinforce your borders, an extra hero or two for rift patrol and a 2nd defense stack that is also T3-5. If you want more money go beat up a sub faction that your neighbors hate, the Moonhowlerz, Red Suns and Darkland orcs are happy to oblige. And your land has all the advantage of mountain choke points with good visibility without the bad movement speed modifiers for a change.

I think the balance patch will take the Ogre economy down a peg, it is ridiculously overtuned. Or maybe take the gold mine out of Great Hall of Greasus, that + the gate is 1200 income before percentage modifiers. I've never thought less about the rate at which I should upgrade my army except on rework Beastmen.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
corruption really suffers from the same problem that PO does where its really either at -100 or 100 or in a state of transition between the two, there's thus really nothing interesting done with it. They did add soft tiers to PO but its still a very, very passive mechanic that you mostly forget about or get extremely annoyed at when you realize both how incredibly limited your ability to actually influence it outside of your one building chain, and how much the AI just ignores it.

see also: loyalty

also nuts how these mechanics were more significant and elaborated on as late as Attila but in the warhammer games they're trite poo poo.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Ran into a big problem in the Realm of Slaanesh: The descent portals don't do anything. I just stand on top of them and nothing happens. I tried moving back and forth, advancing the turn, and leaving the realm and re-entering.

Edit: Closing and coming back to the game fixed it.
Saving and loading works too.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Captain Beans posted:

hmm anyone got suggestions for effective unit choices when fighting ogre vs ogre? i seem to take the most casualties when fighting other ogre factions. obviously this is because ogres are da best but i'm hoping to make only MY ogres da best.

Ironblasters solve most problems in the game. They wreck, well, everything.

Otherwise ogres do have anti-large units who will excel against other ogres, like maneaters with great weapons. So if you're fighting a war against ogres, get a couple of ironblasters to soften the enemy army up at range and then use gnoblar spears, maneaters with the anti-large bonus and mournfang cavarly with teh anti large bonus and you'll probably win comfortably.

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 14, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I won the supporter race and immediately went into the negative because lol forced confed.

Had a look at the stacks. Kost had 2 stacks of entirely gryphon legion but no buildings that could train them. I just immediately disbanded them + suicided the remaining lord and heroes into the nearest rift. Gave the settlements to kraka drak and druzna.

I really like having allies as ablative armour. When they stop fighting eachother and start heading north you get a lot of time to do basically whatever you want. I'm gonna go get the lizardman allied with katarina next. Ice guard supported by krox? :getin:

E: Oh, what do I need to get Boris? It's the only reason i'm doing this campaign.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 14, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Twigand Berries posted:

I'm seeing the same thing in terms of the AI factions with chaos lands disabled. Sharp drop off in field battles though, obviously, but I'm still able to ambush my way around. Would you be so kind as to point me towards the daemon prince mod?

It's freely available(along with all the other finished mods people are working on before workshop) on the modding discord(https://discord.gg/moddingden); I would upload it somewhere else but it's not my mod so I don't want to do it without permission.

It's also pretty badly unbalanced still, with a few options being wildly overtuned that I'm avoiding using(hello early game nurgle 2h maul that pushes daniel over 1k damage), but it is doing a decent job of making some otherwise worthless parts pretty compelling compared to just stacking summons and mortis effects until you get a set bonus.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

dogstile posted:

E: Oh, what do I need to get Boris? It's the only reason i'm doing this campaign.
you need to hold all three of Kislev, Praag and Erengrad for ten turns then complete a quest battle

so, um, about giving all that stuff to Druzhina Enclave

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh they lose Erengrad every 5 turns anyway. I'll just snipe it from them the next time they lose it, lol.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Alamoduh posted:

I got this on everybody in a lord stack with 4 heroes. The traits stack! You can’t remove them! This stack has a -25% replenishment rate, -25 control, and + 10 nurgle corruption.

I think demons should be immune to these kind of traits, but whatever.

Yeah it really seems like an oversight because on factions with already abysmally low replenishment this PERMANENT DEBUFF basically makes the afflicted lords/heroes worthless because they can't replenish troops :psyduck:

Enjoy doing the chaos portal dance where you have to fight Khorne/Tzeentch/Nurgle armies with a non-replenishing army

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I usually don't like to mod my game too much, but I'll definitely be removing those chaos traits because they are just too punishing and stupid. At the bare minimum make the chaos factions immune to them and give all of the non-chaos factions a convenient way to remove them.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
It's been so long I don't really remember, but I think the campaign for the original game was pretty much the same as the campaign in mortal empires right? First a small beastman invasion, then a bigger chaos invasion in the north and then the huge endgame invasion?

Feels like they need to shake that up a little, or make something happen in the Western part of the map at least.

Made some minor adjustments to data files this weekend that ensure the chaos rifts just never spawn, and I'm enjoying the game a lot more now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

It's been so long I don't really remember, but I think the campaign for the original game was pretty much the same as the campaign in mortal empires right? First a small beastman invasion, then a bigger chaos invasion in the north and then the huge endgame invasion?

Feels like they need to shake that up a little, or make something happen in the Western part of the map at least.

Made some minor adjustments to data files this weekend that ensure the chaos rifts just never spawn, and I'm enjoying the game a lot more now.

Stuff does happen in the west during the ME chaos invasion. Malekith frequently dies to the 15 stacks that suddenly appear ten steps from Naggarond.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Erengrad is absolutely worth keeping. +3 frost maidens, -15% upkeep to sleds and groms, a massive port that also gives trade goods and boosts nationwide trade, and some buffs for sea battles and lord/hero recruitment I guess. Also a building that gives +20% local income. At t3/t4 I'm pulling in ~3k from it alone and that is only getting higher at top tiers.

I'm still crabby I let Kraka Drak die but I'll live.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 14, 2022

Cobra Lionfist
Jun 4, 2013
Got hit by a bug that led to me uninstalling the game.

Was having a good Slanesh game and on course for my first win. Around turn 100 when I reloaded I had notifications about losing allied outposts and was at war with most of the map. -400 something relations and terrible reliability due to me breaking pacts with allies. Went back through the previous 5 autosaves and it was the same each time. Just suddenly at war with the same notifications like it had just happened that turn. Very disappointing especially as the game was just starting to get really fun.

Edit: typos

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ravenfood posted:

Erengrad is absolutely worth keeping. +3 frost maidens, -15% upkeep to sleds and groms, a massive port that also gives trade goods and boosts nationwide trade, and some buffs for sea battles and lord/hero recruitment I guess. Also a building that gives +20% local income. At t3/t4 I'm pulling in ~3k from it alone and that is only getting higher at top tiers.

I'm still crabby I let Kraka Drak die but I'll live.

Yeah, I was considering confederating it earlier but I figured I was already fighting off the skaven/vamps/norscans/orges so I just wanted one "safe direction".

Now that the vamps and ogres are mostly dealt with i'll open up that front.

E: Also, on trait RNG, I had a lord parked in a capital from the end of portal 2 to the start of portal 3 and only had the last trait get removed as the other portals opened. Should have put the extra 50% building down I guess.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I hope there's more landmarks that have alternate versions for other races. WHII had many of these but they don't seem as common here.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Panfilo posted:

I hope there's more landmarks that have alternate versions for other races. WHII had many of these but they don't seem as common here.
Yeah its weird. Playing as Skarbrand it feels like there are a dozen Tzeentch and Slaanesh landmarks in the chaos wastes and its weird that Khorne wouldnt want to take a piss on pour some blood on the Slaanesh landmarks and use them for his own purposes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I feel like a ton of those came on the ME map and were back ported too. It were just mirror versions (IE, the various forges of vaul).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I kind of like the concept of good and corrupted versions of the same landmark. So lizardmen had some sacred spawning pool building but if Skaven got their claws on it they'd devour the half formed things that staggered out if it.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
They'd devour half, then turn the rest into abominations with scythes and flamethrowers for arms

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Saving and loading works too.

Hmm. I did made a permanent save at the end of the turn where I entered the portal and did a lot of reloading to end-of-turn-autosaves afterwards, but I’m not sure I ever just saved and reloaded.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Got a patch

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

It's pretty minor though

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Cobra Lionfist posted:

Got hit by a bug that led to me uninstalling the game.

Was having a good Slanesh game and on course for my first win. Around turn 100 when I reloaded I had notifications about losing allied outposts and was at war with most of the map. -400 something relations and terrible reliability due to me breaking pacts with allies. Went back through the previous 5 autosaves and it was the same each time. Just suddenly at war with the same notifications like it had just happened that turn. Very disappointing especially as the game was just starting to get really fun.

Edit: typos

Sadly not even a bug but just bad design, if you vassal any order faction then the other demon factions will auto declare on them the turn they are aware of them, and by extension that also breaks any treaties and auto war with you.

Outside of Slaanesh all demon races will be at permanent war with most any non chaos faction from the turn they meet them, which makes seducing empire etc useless unless you plan to kill all other demons.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I'm playing Chaos Undivided, and I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. All the body parts you equip have a similar feel, which is bad in that there's not many interesting choices, but on the plus side I made my demon lord look how I wanted and didn't feel too handicapped not choosing some parts. I don't want to feel shoehorned into picking certain obviously superior equipment, but I wonder if they shouldve split some of the active and passive abilities into another slot type system.

Being able to pick and choose from all the demon factions is incredible - I have tzeentch exalted horrors for ranged, khorne minotaur and bloodthirsters for a melee frontline, a squad of nurgle soul grinders for artillery and two great unclean ones for laughs. Adding to that a bloodletter hero, nurgle hero for heals, and a tzeentch hero for some more magic. Sorry Slaneesh you lose out.

I declared for Chaos Undivided, however I ran into a bug I vaguely remember hearing about weeks ago where it wont let you actually get the last Undivided equipment piece and bonuses :argh: Super frustrating, but neat faction.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PlushCow posted:

I'm playing Chaos Undivided, and I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. All the body parts you equip have a similar feel, which is bad in that there's not many interesting choices, but on the plus side I made my demon lord look how I wanted and didn't feel too handicapped not choosing some parts. I don't want to feel shoehorned into picking certain obviously superior equipment, but I wonder if they shouldve split some of the active and passive abilities into another slot type system.

Being able to pick and choose from all the demon factions is incredible - I have tzeentch exalted horrors for ranged, khorne minotaur and bloodthirsters for a melee frontline, a squad of nurgle soul grinders for artillery and two great unclean ones for laughs. Adding to that a bloodletter hero, nurgle hero for heals, and a tzeentch hero for some more magic. Sorry Slaneesh you lose out.

I declared for Chaos Undivided, however I ran into a bug I vaguely remember hearing about weeks ago where it wont let you actually get the last Undivided equipment piece and bonuses :argh: Super frustrating, but neat faction.
Khornate warriors with Nurgle's vanguard-deploy plague is pretty loving mean too.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

War sleds are just super effective. Get like 6 of them and split into two groups of three. Use them to shoot at high value targets and cycle charge them into infantry and run around. Then put them on fire at will later after killing most of the chaff.

Ok, I guess you need some micro maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to them.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Skirmish cav is awesome in general and I'd stuff my stacks with them more if I knew how to make them perform like they were worth something in a siege battle

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Only thing I don't get is the heavy sleds. You pay like 50% more for just another 50% more armor, a bit less speed, and no change to their ranged attack. I guess their mass is better?

It would have made more sense if say they had little anti large cannons mounted on them with limited ammo. Would be useful late game when there's no shortage of relavent targets.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I seem to get an absurd amount of heroes as the Daemon Prince so I'm just trying to stack hero buffs to see what I get.

Currently stacking the 4% speed buff slaneesh heroes get until my army becomes supersonic

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Khornate warriors with Nurgle's vanguard-deploy plague is pretty loving mean too.

Khorne can get that as part of their tech tree

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Only thing I don't get is the heavy sleds. You pay like 50% more for just another 50% more armor, a bit less speed, and no change to their ranged attack. I guess their mass is better?

It would have made more sense if say they had little anti large cannons mounted on them with limited ammo. Would be useful late game when there's no shortage of relavent targets.

try running them through some enemy formations and see what that does for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Khorne can get that as part of their tech tree

ya, its weird since its behind a tech that says it only gives vanguard to the flesh hounds which is completely useless since they already have vanguard. I wonder if the description is completely wrong, but the tech is working as intended or if its bugged somehow and giving the entire roster vanguard when it should only be a unit or two. Either way, its pretty fun lining up your entire army like 30 feet in front of the enemy right before the battle. Poor bastards never stood a chance