Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Strolled through the Transformers aisle on my nigh-once a month trip to a store that isn't for groceries and saw, I believe Ravage? Little legends class fella. Flipped the box over to see what he transforms into and... I dunno just kinda folds up into a cube? Was the silliest dumbest transformer I've seen in a while.

e: I can't find this anywhere on tfwiki. What the hell was I looking at?

Sockser fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That's Studio Series Bumblebee Movie Core Class Ravage. he's for fitting into the drop ship cargo bay of a new Soundwave toy that turns into a kind of crablike hovertank, also from the CG prologue segment of the Bee Movie.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Yeah there are enough challenges in doing a decent motorcycle alt-mode; but doing it in Core class, especially with a big ol' lizard head and tail to deal with, is just... I don't think it could have turned out any other way than that. For whatever that's worth. I hope it's fun to transform at least.
It's not terrible as a motorcycle in that size class... but it's also not exactly good. I find it kind of charmingly stupid TBH.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah there are enough challenges in doing a decent motorcycle alt-mode; but doing it in Core class, especially with a big ol' lizard head and tail to deal with, is just... I don't think it could have turned out any other way than that. For whatever that's worth. I hope it's fun to transform at least.

G1 Iguanus' bike mode looked like dog rear end anyway so this is in the finest tradition

I really liked both Hot Rod and Rodimus this year, though I'd probably have to call Cyclonus better than both, if only because both Rods are the product of lavishing the budget of a larger size class on a smaller toy

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Phy posted:

G1 Iguanus' bike mode looked like dog rear end anyway so this is in the finest tradition
All the Pretenders had horrible inner robots that were just a lanky robot that folded up into something vaguely resembling a vehicle.

If anyone's in the market for shelf organization stuff I stumbled on some real good options at Target. They have these fancy-looking wooden ones for $20, and these cheaper plastic ones for $12. The wooden ones are pretty slick so they won't be great for any figures that have a problem standing up, but the plastic ones have rubber tops so they'll be great. I've been looking for some kind of tiered shelving option like this that isn't a drastically overpriced display stand for years so I'm stocking up on these things while Target carries them.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Arquinsiel posted:

It's not terrible as a motorcycle in that size class... but it's also not exactly good. I find it kind of charmingly stupid TBH.

Best anyone can hope for, yeah, basically my point.

Knormal posted:

All the Pretenders had horrible inner robots that were just a lanky robot that folded up into something vaguely resembling a vehicle.

Yeah absolutely. It would have taken a superhuman level of effort to kill my obsession with Transformers in the 80s and the Pretenders line actually managed to do so for well over two decades.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

That's Studio Series Bumblebee Movie Core Class Ravage. he's for fitting into the drop ship cargo bay of a new Soundwave toy that turns into a kind of crablike hovertank, also from the CG prologue segment of the Bee Movie.

poo poo that's actually super tight

Just ordered both

Sigh.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Best anyone can hope for, yeah, basically my point.

Yeah absolutely. It would have taken a superhuman level of effort to kill my obsession with Transformers in the 80s and the Pretenders line actually managed to do so for well over two decades.
I have vague memories of Bumblebee and Grimlock being pretty good.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sockser posted:

poo poo that's actually super tight

Just ordered both

Sigh.

In vehicle mode the tape door is pointed towards the ground so if you swoonce Soundwave about going "nyoom" you can hit the button and Ravage will drop down like a bomb.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The_Doctor posted:

gently caress sake, it’s all the terrible things maelstrommed together

https://twitter.com/seibertroncom/status/1501019762239115265

It should have been Swindle

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Arquinsiel posted:

Bumblebee I'd say was probably the best of them because his toy was basically the same as his original toy transformation wise. Grimlock was pretty fun too, cute lil trex with gun tail.

Also the MOST hosed up thing about the Pretenders was that Jazz's shell was a white dude.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

sensiblechuckle.mp4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NFT Bros aren't that smart.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The only Pretender I had was Octopunch, who is rad and has a rad crab inner robot.

It was the Action Masters that put me off for a while.

:hmmyes:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Good Listener posted:

Also the MOST hosed up thing about the Pretenders was that Jazz's shell was a white dude.

Didn't the Marvel comic have a panel where Spike (or Buster? I can't keep my Witwickies straight) told Pretender Jazz that he thought he'd look different?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Knormal posted:

Gunrunner was the worst: he's supposed to transform into a jet, but you just fold up the robot and attach it to a completely separate jet piece.

http://www.tfu.info/1988/Autobot/Gunrunner/gunrunner.htm

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I remember the Iguanicus robot sticking around longer than a lot of my other Transformers. And like Pretender Bumblebee, I didn’t have the shell for either, so they were just Transformers to me.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pretenders Grimlock's transformation had a certain elegance to it. Way fewer moving parts and in the end all the pieces end up in pretty much the same places as the original

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The only Pretender I had was Octopunch, who is rad and has a rad crab inner robot.

This reminds me I still really want a new version of Bludgeon. Octopunch and Strangehold optional but welcome.

My lowkey favorite Pretender is Pincher. His robot/scorpion form is really neat and I have oddly fond memories of him when I was a kid because he was the only Autobot I had that was a scientist so he was my Perceptor. :unsmith:

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 15, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Some of the pretenders were kind of at the level where their transformation suffering from all the play features, but that was kind of okay, because they had enough extra play potential to kind of just become another kind of toy. I still remember the Mega Pretender song from some old VHSes, and those got really complicated.

I guess with a lot of the other weirder gimmick transformers they've managed to do modern versions of, they've either managed to update them into "proper" transformers fixing their flaws to make up for the loss of the gimmick or preserve and extend its gimmick to make an even cooler toy or give a new gimmick to add to its potential or make an entirely new robot out of nothing to be able to remake the old toy but still fit into the current line, so it's disappointing they didn't do the same kind of overachieving with Iguanus.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Classic Pretenders. Bumblebee was indeed an improvement on his original figure mostly because he was bigger, but I'm surprised people are fans of Grimlock. Even as a kid I thought he was a horrible replacement for the original.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pretending to be a good toy, Classic

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Knormal posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Classic Pretenders. Bumblebee was indeed an improvement on his original figure mostly because he was bigger, but I'm surprised people are fans of Grimlock. Even as a kid I thought he was a horrible replacement for the original.

He was the only Grimlock a lot of kids I knew had.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Dawgstar posted:

He was the only Grimlock a lot of kids I knew had.

He was the only one I had until G2 came out. The one I had didn't come with the pretender shell, neither did my Bumblebee, Starscream and Jazz. Looking into it now, they were K-Mart exclusives.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Either that or you got them from flea markets and garage sales like I got most of my Transformers. Being born in 85’, by the time 89’-90’ rolled around, I was swimming in second hand Transformers.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea that's pretty much how I did it too being also born in 85 haha lotta weaponless bots picked up at the local flea market type area.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of G1's weird things they had going is just they didn't reissue or remake characters for a while (with a few rare exceptions). That's why they needed to literally kill the cast in the movie to introduce a new cast. I guess since the toy company side of the franchise just figured it was doing its own thing and it didn't need to pay attention to and follow the show. TMNT didn't hesitate to remake the four main turtles every year.

I like some of the "purity" of the toys just defining the franchise, but it's still really weird.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Phy posted:

Didn't the Marvel comic have a panel where Spike (or Buster? I can't keep my Witwickies straight) told Pretender Jazz that he thought he'd look different?

Buster was the Spike equivalent in the Marvel comic (the name Spike was a late addition/change to the cartoon during production), and then when it came time to Sell Toys with Fort Max, Spike was dragged in as Buster's previously unmentioned older brother who came back from college or something like that and accidentally became a Headmaster.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Open Marriage Night posted:

Either that or you got them from flea markets and garage sales like I got most of my Transformers. Being born in 85’, by the time 89’-90’ rolled around, I was swimming in second hand Transformers.

Nah, I remember opening them at Christmas.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of G1's weird things they had going is just they didn't reissue or remake characters for a while (with a few rare exceptions). That's why they needed to literally kill the cast in the movie to introduce a new cast. I guess since the toy company side of the franchise just figured it was doing its own thing and it didn't need to pay attention to and follow the show. TMNT didn't hesitate to remake the four main turtles every year.

I like some of the "purity" of the toys just defining the franchise, but it's still really weird.
It's a bizarre decision too because Transformers is literally the perfect franchise to make new versions of the same characters every year. Just make future "2005" versions of all the same G1 characters and you've got your whole new lineup without all the childhood trauma. I'm guessing 1986 Hasbro figured parents wouldn't buy the new Optimus Prime if their kid had a perfectly-good last year's Optimus Prime at home, but I think history has proven them conclusively wrong on that.

Speaking of new versions of the same characters over and over again looks like they finally found a home for Blue Bluestreak.

Pretty funny we're back to having a non-blue Bluestreak and now a (mostly) non-silver Silverstreak.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Transformers I had as a child pre-beast wars:
Bumblebee, whose tires I tore off at some point. I believe he's still floating around in a bin of lego somewhere
Most of Scattershot, from a thrift store. Not the rest of Computron, just Scattershot. I could tell, even at the age of like, 5, that something was janked or missing with this toy, He still had legs and a goofy gun proboscis, so he pretty much stayed in goofy gun mode
A dollar store bootleg of Devestator, I think in yellow. It was too complicated and fiddly for a child my age
And natch, a bitchin G1 grimlock, from a yard sale, whom I still own and cherish to this day. Lots of his panel lines still have shades of pink from all the silly putty I wedged into him.

And then when Beast Wars came out I started getting some new toys, though all I really remember owning was Tripredacus, because Tripredacus owns.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Knormal posted:

That ..."guntail" looks very unwieldy. Birds had better look out.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You misunderstand. There are no good pretenders, but some gas station hot dogs are better than others

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sockser posted:

Transformers I had as a child pre-beast wars:

I guess I was lucky as I had a decent chunk of the G1 cast back in the day. Started with Prime and from there picked up Jazz, Mirage, Prowl, Hound, Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, Ratchet, and the OG minibots except Gears and Windcharger. I guess it's why I didn't mind repaints so much as no, I could never find Ironhide, Bluestreak or Sideswipe but Smokescreen and Red Alert and Tailgate were totally fine replacements. Jetfire and the Dinobots (bar one) were awesome too.

As for the Decepticons, Megatron and the 3 seekers (plus Ramjet later, lame), Ravage and Lazerbeak, Rumble and Frenzy, and Blitzwing as my sole triplechanger but that was it, had a huge Soundwave shaped hole. And the likes of Shockwave, Swoop, Reflector, Blaster, and the Constructors didn't seem to get released here so missed out on those. Always wanted a Swoop...

Thinking about it, the Dinobots held up better than pretty much any of the others. I think the only issue I had with any of them was a tab on one of Snarl's legs breaking, otherwise rock solid the lot of them whereas most of the others fell or broke apart, became floppy messes, etc.

While I still read the comic, I mostly dipped out of the toys when the movie hit. The new designs were way bigger and didn't fit well with the older ones, things like Jumpstarters, Headmasters and Targetmasters were super dumb to me, and Pretenders were the final nail in the coffin. Terrible idea, terrible toys. Nothing says incognito like a 30 ft tall human in space armour, or whatever the hell Skullgrin was supposed to be..!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I had a decent amount of G2. The Aerialbots, Constructicons, big green Megatron, little green Megatron, purple Megatron I got in trouble when I bought into show and tell because it had a gun (even tho another kid brought in a Star Wars speederbike toy that had guns), Mirage that I couldn't figure out how to transform, Bumblebee, Optimus.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Thew's back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFoCHfRUxMs

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Picked up Buzzworthy Kup yesterday. Putting him next to my Studio Series Kup, I have to question the color choices for the Studio Series one. Like, if anything THAT one should have been the BB version.

Plus, no dead eyes due to poorly implimented light piping.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It really does look like a high quality toy. I just can't accept Galvatron's gun. Why does it look like that?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Dabir posted:

It really does look like a high quality toy. I just can't accept Galvatron's gun. Why does it look like that?

Same. I’ve hated the big orange tube forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I haven't watched Thew in a while, he's looking good these days.