Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Is there some sort of adult equivalent to "cinder blocks and solid wood doors from home depot" maker shelving for adults

I mean, there's lots of options but it depends on what you want to use it for and what you want it to look like. If you're literally just looking for functional, inexpensive shelving for a shed or workshop or something I'd just use standards since they work great and they're extremely flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

armorer posted:

I've made numerous scratching posts with sisal twine like that. If they use it as a scratching post a lot, they'll tear through the twine and it'll come apart. It looks great, and if you have that problem it's only because they're using it, but something to watch out for. On the more recent ones that I've made I ran a few heavy lines of wood glue under the twine so that it mostly stays in place if they shred through it in a spot.

Yup! I've built it with maintenance somewhat in mind. The platforms, I can swivel out and re-apply the carpet in-place, super easy. The twine, it'll be more involved, but I can unthread the spine, pop the whole thing out of the brackets, re-wrap, and slap it back up on the wall. I'm pretty sure I could re-surface the entire thing in half an hour. So even if keeping it tidy is, say, an annual process, it shouldn't be bad at all.

Funny enough, the older cat (middle shelf) knew exactly what to do and was dragging herself around by the center post almost immediately. The other two, they're young yet, and didn't do anything but hop around on it, enjoying the path to the window. We'll see!

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 14, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Is there some sort of adult equivalent to "cinder blocks and solid wood doors from home depot" maker shelving for adults

I googled this but it's just trash full of SEO "what do shelves mean to YOU? are books dead? are bookshelves dead? did vinyl save ikea kallax shelving?" clickbait :words:

about to order a bunch of 4x4 and 1/2" cabinetry grade plywood and then wrap it in birch

Shelves are just a long board, and then some means of holding it up. You can buy shelf brackets from hardware stores, screw them into studs in the wall, and then screw them into the undersides of whatever boards you fancy with whatever wood finish you fancy. If you do some searching, you can probably find more decorative brackets.

I've seen veneered MDF sold as a ready-to-use shelf material, incidentally. The advantage here is that you get a consistent (and fairly wide) shelf that's already been profiled (had a rounded edge put on it), has a nice veneer, and is cheap. The disadvantages are that MDF is heavy and a lot more fragile than solid wood or plywood.

If you're building cabinets, then you should look into a peg shelving system, where the shelves are supported by small metal pegs that fit into holes drilled in the cabinet walls. You can use a jig like this one to help you drill the holes for the pegs at consistent heights.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hadlock posted:

I googled this but it's just trash full of SEO "what do shelves mean to YOU? are books dead? are bookshelves dead? did vinyl save ikea kallax shelving?" clickbait :words:

about to order a bunch of 4x4 and 1/2" cabinetry grade plywood and then wrap it in birch

I used 3/4" plywood for bookshelves, just because of more tensile strength. Also, if 4x4 means dimensioned lumber, that's overkill. You can build the entire thing from plywood and use birch hardwood facing. 1/4" backing on it is optional, but recommended- helps keep shelves straight, and allows you to square up the unit, if square is needed.

Source: used to do that for a living.

edit- TMA's suggestion of movable shelves is good. Easy to make your own jig, and the pegs are readily available. Definitely want backing on such a unit, imo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The hot diy shelves a few years ago were those ones with coil rods for the uprights that you adjust with nuts. Or you can use black iron pipe but that is probably a dated look at this point.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Bought a dresser off of craigslist and refinished it. Lots and lots of sanding to get the finish off then painted it with a nice blue chalky paint. Drawer knobs are from amazon because the choices locally were expensive and not what we wanted.

Befores

All sanded

Painted and put in the bedroom

Knobs added, all done!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Nice dresser project, looks like plenty of grim and sand

I made a spice rack

Took less time than I thought it would!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Another friend had a baby so another rattle made:

Thought I was doing something easy to warm back up, only to get the first attempt completely wrong and have it fly apart on me :negative:

Regardless, it was good to do something on a lathe again, it's been something like 9-10 months.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

CancerCakes posted:

Nice dresser project, looks like plenty of grim and sand

I made a spice rack

Took less time than I thought it would!

Nice rack!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hitting the 'ah, gently caress it' stage of finishing where I'd rather start over from scratch than fix the bit of inlay that tore out, so I must be close to done

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's :aaa: to behold!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Hitting the 'ah, gently caress it' stage of finishing where I'd rather start over from scratch than fix the bit of inlay that tore out, so I must be close to done

Ah hell yeah. Do a little victory strut and finish it when the Good Lord moves you.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I made a completely impractical vase:

The base and lid were supposed to be entirely different but the walnut kept exploding on me so I settled for what I could make work.

17.5" overall height and about 2 1/4" wide at the top of the vessel. It's gloriously useless, but I did pose it with the knit flowers my mom makes:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Call it a candle holder instead?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:hmmyes: That's good thinking right there.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've got replica plaster cast of an Eames House tile. I'm not a huge Frank Lloyd fan, but I love Blade Runner, and it appears in Deckard's apartment. I'm trying to figure out the best way to hang it. It's about 13 lbs, so it has to be robust. I'm worried about drilling into it and cracking the plaster. If anybody has any recommendations on how to do it, I'd love to hear them.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

deoju posted:

I've got replica plaster cast of an Eames House tile. I'm not a huge Frank Lloyd fan, but I love Blade Runner, and it appears in Deckard's apartment. I'm trying to figure out the best way to hang it. It's about 13 lbs, so it has to be robust. I'm worried about drilling into it and cracking the plaster. If anybody has any recommendations on how to do it, I'd love to hear them.

I would shadowbox it, but that's fairly involved. The upside is that it would then be easy to hang and it would remain dust-free.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

You could also probably just epoxy hanging hardware to the back of it (Z clips or something like that). If you use an appropriate drill bit it should be drillable, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like that tile is an inch thick in some areas? I think it would look best painted in gold, in a shadow box, with dramatic accent lighting at a steep angle

That said if you want to display it raw, if it really is an inch thick, drill a 1/4" diameter hole in the thick spots, 1/4" deep, then bed some 1/8" screw-in-eyes in the holes with epoxy and after it cures, and string a standard hanging wire between them

That plaster looks awesome but it's going to look like hell if you ever try to clean it? Maybe? Never displayed raw plaster in my house before. Cool tile

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the advice. it's a little more than 1" at the corners. I've considered sealing it with a matte clear coat of some kind, I'd like to keep a bit of a 'raw' feel to them.

Correction from my previous post: It's the Ennis House, not Eames. https://franklloydwright.org/site/ennis-house/

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've been drilling these with one of those diamond tipped concrete bits, they're four feet across by an inch thick and weigh about a hojillion pounds each, and they crack at literally every other step in the process besides drilling and mounting them. It's fine! It's fine

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

deoju posted:

Thanks for the advice. it's a little more than 1" at the corners. I've considered sealing it with a matte clear coat of some kind, I'd like to keep a bit of a 'raw' feel to them.

Correction from my previous post: It's the Ennis House, not Eames. https://franklloydwright.org/site/ennis-house/

You could always try coating a little spot on the back to see how it might look. Plaster is porous though so it could soak up a lot of finish.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
good call, I'll start on the back if I decide to do it.

I've been drilling these with one of those diamond tipped concrete bits

Thanks for the info, and those are neat projects.

deoju fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 9, 2022

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Use the one you have to make a mold to make more plaster casts. That way if you break one you have backups. Infinite plaster.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Facebook Aunt posted:

Use the one you have to make a mold to make more plaster casts. That way if you break one you have backups. Infinite plaster.

This is actually a really good idea

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I thought about recasting it, but I am lazy, and that would probably cost more than buying another.

Here's how I hung it.

1. Drilled holes to about half the depth of the casting.
2. Inserted some of those plastic dealies for hanging poo poo in plaster or cement, through some epoxy in the hole for good measure. I also put in 2 on each side for extra strength
3. Put in screws by hand. I find you get a much feel for delicate stuff with a screwdriver than with a power driver.
4. Wrapped wire around the screws. Here I almost learned a lesson the hard way, wrap the wire so that putting tension doesn't unravel things.
5. Hung it 4 inches off the floor above a pillow for a 2 days in case it failed.

Picture for 1000 more words...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You're a braver man than I. That looks like it will probably hold.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

deoju posted:

Here's how I hung it.

Should work? No one will ever see it.

I really like Z Clips (basically tiny french cleats) for hanging heavier stuff like this vs wire which is always a bit of a pain in the rear end. It's worth having some around IMO.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Over the last few years I’ve been going to Halloween craft markets in my area and I’ve been disappointed with what has been for sale, so I’ve been trying to come up with something I’d like to see in the future. As a customer, I settled on neon signs.

I’ve made a few over the last month, and I’ll keep making them over the summer until I have enough to set up a booth. I don’t really want to run a business though so we’ll see how my follow-through is.

I think maybe 20 signs is enough? I’m trying to find some good esoteric/occult symbols that would make fun signs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You shouldn't have any trouble selling the fake vampire teeth sign on etsy

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Deadite posted:

Over the last few years I’ve been going to Halloween craft markets in my area and I’ve been disappointed with what has been for sale, so I’ve been trying to come up with something I’d like to see in the future. As a customer, I settled on neon signs.

I’ve made a few over the last month, and I’ll keep making them over the summer until I have enough to set up a booth. I don’t really want to run a business though so we’ll see how my follow-through is.

I think maybe 20 signs is enough? I’m trying to find some good esoteric/occult symbols that would make fun signs

Nice, how much for the hand with the leviathan cross?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Deadite posted:

holy poo poo that rules, I'd be all over that hand of glory one

pentacles from the Key of Solomon might be a little on the complex side but were the first things I thought of, they lend themselves well to anything involving squiggly lines of a fixed weight and are pretty clearly occultic without a lot of other cultural baggage.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 13, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Deadite posted:

I fricken love neon. All-seeing eye and the pyramid, hell there's a ton of stuff you could do. Not esoteric, but you'd absolutely slay with Grateful Dead motif.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I don't have design suggestions at the moment other than:

but I do think that's an amazing set of products!

Is your method similar to this?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I'm glad there are people out there as interested in these as I am.

Sous Videodrome posted:

Nice, how much for the hand with the leviathan cross?

I have no idea, I'm completely lost on how to price these things

holy poo poo that rules, I'd be all over that hand of glory one

pentacles from the Key of Solomon might be a little on the complex side but were the first things I thought of, they lend themselves well to anything involving squiggly lines of a fixed weight and are pretty clearly occultic without a lot of other cultural baggage.

I actually mapped out the Murmur sigil from the Lesser Key of Solomon as a future sign, but it's kind of complicated so I've been putting it off. My original idea was to work through the full 72 sigils but, aside from how complicated the signs will be, I am unsure how much commercial appeal they'd have.

Trabant posted:

I don't have design suggestions at the moment other than:

but I do think that's an amazing set of products!

Is your method similar to this?

That's basically the process, but I solder the connections because I think it makes a stronger bond. It's an easier process than the finished product would suggest, the skull sign above was the first sign I ever did. Neon is pretty forgiving because you really just need to get the impression across and the details don't really matter.

I've been thinking about doing the pyramid eye for a while and I like this design, so thank you.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Deadite posted:

I think there's two ways, really.

1. Look at comparable products

Is anyone selling handmade neon signs of about the same size and complexity? How much do they charge?

2. Materials + Hourly rate * Hours

How much are your materials? If you are honest with yourself, and don't underestimate, how much time did you take to make it? Multiply the time by an hourly rate. Idk what that would be. But $25, or $50.

Then see if anyone's interested. If you don't make any sales at your first price level, consider dropping them a bit.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Deadite posted:

I would probably insta-buy the teeth at $250, I could see them listed for $325 and selling to the right person

Looks like a 5-color corona with parrot runs about $130-150 on ebay, but those are mass-produced in the tens of thousands, in a factory probably built on a jig

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sous Videodrome posted:

2. Materials + Hourly rate * Hours

How much are your materials? If you are honest with yourself, and don't underestimate, how much time did you take to make it? Multiply the time by an hourly rate. Idk what that would be. But $25, or $50.

This is the only way that's really worked for me, although I'm extremely bad at accounting for time. Trying to do comparables rapidly gets into a mess of, well, there's similar mass-produced Chinese stuff priced at the equivalent of $.10/hr, and there's some dickhead selling their version on Etsy for $40,000, and what the gently caress does that all mean for you. But I know how much I can make an hour if I'm not just doing whatever the hell I want, maybe I'll take a little less if making this particular thing is fun enough but it's a good reference point.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 14, 2022

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
We put a TV in the bedroom but it looked ugly so I copied this approach to make a hidey-slidey thing to cover it up when not in use:

edit: the prints came from here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ReignAndHail

Trabant fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Trabant posted:

We put a TV in the bedroom but it looked ugly so I copied this approach to make a hidey-slidey thing to cover it up when not in use:

edit: the prints came from here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ReignAndHail

That's really neat. But what the gently caress is on that power cord, a dried up intestine? :eyepop:

It's very easy to add an outlet behind the TV. I watched this when I did this a couple months back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe6H9sZMkhA