Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

So I think the difficulty goes up with levels as well as just over time. I had a game where I was the human subject (MP +5%), mastered scholar class (MP +20%), and one of the first items I got was the stone that gives MP +20%. I also noticed the big guys give a bunch of xp so I went satellite + e zone and focused them. I was level 85 by 25 minutes and died because I couldn't kill poo poo. The big red ones especially were just not dying. I was kitted out too

All reinforced items. In which case if you are going for longest time I suggest avoiding extra MP gain and not killing the big dudes

Definitely on to something here. Wondering if you should avoid even picking up mp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Baddog posted:

Definitely on to something here. Wondering if you should avoid even picking up mp.

If you're maxing out I think it might mean you're not being selective enough with what skills you're taking? Half way into a run I'm not taking new skills, unless I don't have Shield yet. Your level doesn't go up if you decline and getting level 1 Spirit doesn't make a difference when you're surrounded by giant blobs all the time.

I use the MP character and have two points in the MP passive because I want to get my key spells to level 8 as soon as possible.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Lone Goat posted:

If you're maxing out I think it might mean you're not being selective enough with what skills you're taking? Half way into a run I'm not taking new skills, unless I don't have Shield yet. Your level doesn't go up if you decline and getting level 1 Spirit doesn't make a difference when you're surrounded by giant blobs all the time.

I use the MP character and have two points in the MP passive because I want to get my key spells to level 8 as soon as possible.

Interesting, did not realize that. I'll have to try being more selective then. You can get some skills to at least level 11 now, With every level in it after 8 being +30% dmg. I know I've gotten satellite to 11, I think I have with thunderstorm too. Electric zone always seems to stop at 7, I don't know if I'm unlucky or it really doesn't have a level 8+

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
you'll know when you're about to max out a skill because the level indicator when you select it will be green instead of whatever the default color is. And yeah I think the biggest piece of advise I can give to someone is to not be afraid to just skip a level and take your 15% refund. In fact, invest a skill point to bump that to 40%. In the midgame, the game will throw levels at you like crazy, but it falls off very quickly so you need to plan ahead. You're not really going to fall behind by skipping a level because you're just going to get another one in a few seconds. It's always better to go deep in a few trees than shallow in many. The one exception imo is barrier, where I usually only put one point in. Haste also caps out at 3 levels, it's a low priority for me but I'll occasionally max it out.

The max level of 8 vs. 11 or whatever they are at the moment depends on how many upgrades you can give to a specific spell. The level 8 skills will only have a single upgrade, were the level 11 ones will have 2.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Push El Burrito posted:

Any recommendations for a decent asymmetrical game? Something I can do a turn then a friend can do something a few hours later if they feel like? Not, like, super complicated like civ or anything just a fairly casual thing.

Just in case you're trying to google this, asynchronous is the word you are looking for.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Asymmetric typically means competitive but with varying mechanics. Eg fighting game matchups. Or an RTS like StarCraft where each option is meaningfully different.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I thought asymmetric was something more like Dead by Daylight where the two sides are one player vs many players?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

AnonSpore posted:

I thought asymmetric was something more like Dead by Daylight where the two sides are one player vs many players?

It's anything where the players are playing with different parameters/rules. StarCraft is dasymetrix because.the races have different rules under which they operate, Dead by Daylight is moreso because the team numbers, goals, and abilities of the two sides are different.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yes I meant asynchronous but, again, chess made me an idiot.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Best fun and realistic looking fishing game?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

fyallm posted:

Best fun and realistic looking fishing game?

Ridiculous Fishing

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Relentless posted:

Ridiculous Fishing

Naw, I'm looking for something more realistic

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Is it good?

ITS HOT AND READY!

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
Is there any way to actually download ridiculous fishing these days?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Problem Sleuth posted:

Is there any way to actually download ridiculous fishing these days?

It'd be hilarious if you can't but you could get that knockoff they complained about

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have some google rewards bucks that are expiring the 23rd, what are some good paid games? This will be for a Pixel 6 and I already have King of Dragon Pass and all the squenix games I want. I like jrpgs and am interested in checking out visual novels, but open to other genres, offline a must, and hopefully 10 bucks or less.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I have some google rewards bucks that are expiring the 23rd, what are some good paid games? This will be for a Pixel 6 and I already have King of Dragon Pass and all the squenix games I want. I like jrpgs and am interested in checking out visual novels, but open to other genres, offline a must, and hopefully 10 bucks or less.

The Sorcery! series is a great visual novel rpg. Episodic, each one costs about 6 bucks. There's 4 I think. Awesome art design, really throws back to the old CYOA books of yore.

There is also the Siralim series, which are ugly as poo poo jrpg monster battlers with loads and loads of content. A new one, Ultimate, just released a couple weeks ago.

Dungeons of Chaos is an old school crpg (think the original Ultimas) with a lot of content and gameplay, really good if really hard.

Finally, Lone Wolf Saga is a compilation of all of the old Lone Wolf CYOA books from the 80s and 90s by Joe Dever. Classic fantasy CYOA, but with equipment, a combat system, persistent story and character growth between books. Classic and still really great. Free, but you'll want to spend a bit on what are essentially save states.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 14, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've been addicted to Super Auto Pets, and now I want something else that is similar in some ways for under the $8.40 I have in Google Play Bucks. Something strategic, turn-based where I can look up or put it away at literally any time without losing anything, low to mid on battery hog (I'm on a Pixel 3a XL), and very replayable. It doesn't need to be an auto-battler or multiplayer like SAP, I just gave it as an example mostly for the ability to put it down and continue whenever I want.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

LifeLynx posted:

I've been addicted to Super Auto Pets, and now I want something else that is similar in some ways for under the $8.40 I have in Google Play Bucks. Something strategic, turn-based where I can look up or put it away at literally any time without losing anything, low to mid on battery hog (I'm on a Pixel 3a XL), and very replayable. It doesn't need to be an auto-battler or multiplayer like SAP, I just gave it as an example mostly for the ability to put it down and continue whenever I want.

Slice and Dice

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

Slice and Dice

Seconded. Also Siralim Ultimate

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Seconded. Also Siralim Ultimate

Have they added proper touch control to this yet or is it still the crazily onscreen controller?

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 14, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

NinjaDebugger posted:

Have they added proper touch control to this yet or is it still the crazily onscreen controller?

I think you know the answer to this already lol

They did implement a virtual analog stick though, so it isn't just d-pad anymore

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The virtual stick works better and you can move the buttons around on your screen but it's still kinda wonky. I like the game but forgot to back up my save after switching phones and haven't really had the drive to start again from the beginning.

In other news, Kairosoft's Forest Golf Story is very good. More of the same poo poo obv but I always like the kairosoft games that give you something fun to watch and it's neat seeing the guests playing on your designed course.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

Slay the Spire if you havent gotten it already.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Skwirl posted:

Card Quest!

LifeLynx posted:

Also Card Quest!

Card Quest is a deckbuilderish roguelike; instead of starting with a basic deck and building it as you go along, your 17 card deck is determined by the Combat Style/Primary/Secondary Weapons you pick at the start of a run. Combat is quite puzzle-y, it's frequent possible to beat every encounter without taking damage, but figuring out how is the trick. And mostly, I just find it really fun to unlock new weapons/combat styles and tinker with my deck at the start of each run. There are a ton of options and they all tend to play pretty differently from each other.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
re: Ridiculous Fishing. It's still on Amazon's app store. So just uh sideload that store app and then buy the game? I did this back when Amazon's Android app foray seems less...weird. Very 2012, but hey, that's how you can still get the game (legally).

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Well, my three year run with Another Eden ended with it simply not downloading in-game data when I reinstalled.

At this point I can't even recommend the game because who is going to spend an hour on a shaky download just to try the game. Great writing and music, but absolutely garbo tech

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

explosivo posted:

In other news, Kairosoft's Forest Golf Story is very good. More of the same poo poo obv but I always like the kairosoft games that give you something fun to watch and it's neat seeing the guests playing on your designed course.

Damnit, I keep telling myself this'll be the last Kairosoft I buy because they're largely the same couple games reskinned, but I keep coming back for more.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/NimbleBit/status/1504845887159242753

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Was it previously only available to some android users or am I having a stroke because I have very clear memories of playing this game like 6 years ago.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Same here. Looks like maybe it was taken off the store a while ago for some reason?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah I'm pretty sure it was out before.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't know this game. Do I want it?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

I don't know this game. Do I want it?

For a couple hours, sure

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'd recommend it. I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

For a couple hours, sure

Literally for probably 2 or so. No shade meant to the goon dev for these games, they are very well made. But it's a grind, and there's really no pay off, at least for me.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

explosivo posted:

Same here. Looks like maybe it was taken off the store a while ago for some reason?

It was originally published on Android through a publisher (mobage) who removed it off the store after a few years. We also had to stop updating our iOS version because the code base was so old and couldn't support 64 bit without a ton of work so we ported the game to Unity to bring it back to Android and be able to update it again on iOS.

It seems to have the most passionate fanbase of our games for whatever that is worth. I don't know if it is just rose colored glasses or what but we haven't been able to post anything on social media for the last few years without getting spammed by former Android Pocket Planes players.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Literally for probably 2 or so. No shade meant to the goon dev for these games, they are very well made. But it's a grind, and there's really no pay off, at least for me.

I picked it up again. Back when I first played i'd come at it every so often, but once the grind sets in I would basically just touch it once or twice a day and that was fine.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Makes sense, I remember liking it and always dug your guys' stuff so I'll be playing it again :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'll fire this up, I liked it over trains since it's not as line based etc.
Friend: 21v2h if anyone wants to join up and umm. do wahtaever the bonuses for friends are