Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't put a Counterbalance on it!!

If you have Arrowhead Brake, absolutely put Counterbalance on it to hit 100 Recoil:

These are my PVP and PVE Kraits respectively and they both feel extremely smooth (especially when Adagio kicks in and suddenly I have even less Recoil to deal with than usual).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Elerion posted:

Eh, not really. Higher number = less horizontal recoil. Having it end in 5 makes it bounce equally often to right and left over a large number of shots, but bringing the variance down is more important than eliminating drift.

Not that I would use counterbalance stock in PVE anyway, though.

Nah, Recoil D is actually much simpler than that. Numbers ending in 5 are vertical, numbers ending in 0 are horizontal (except 100 which is special). Left and right are influenced by the tens digit (40, 60, 80 etc pull to the same side while 50, 70, 90 pull to the opposite side)

The Mod will make your gun worse if its natural RD ends in a 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7. If you've been running CB Mod on any of your favorite PvP guns, you might be in for a great surprise when you take it off!

(PC Images, so console players will notice a MUCH larger impact)

"Higher Number" is only better if you're comparing the same ones digit. 74 is better than 64 is better than 54.

But 74 is better than 90.

Toss a CB Mod on a Krait and you're going to have a stronger pull to the side.

I think the Right and Left might be reversed in that image but it's mostly for illustration purposes.

(Also if you can get to 100 it's just as good as ending in 5)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Just use minor spec and kill things faster! Also focused fury is kinda bad/not worth the trouble, you can prolly just stick with one for all or adagio for krait. Even for shooting yellow bars.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RBX posted:

Just use minor spec and kill things faster! Also focused fury is kinda bad/not worth the trouble, you can prolly just stick with one for all or adagio for krait. Even for shooting yellow bars.

I need to read up on Focused Fury. I imagine some stuff like Backup Mag mod or Tac Mag perk might work differently than stuff like Triple Tap or Overflow or sprinting around with Transversive Steps

It seems like it could be cool if you can game it a bit but I'll be honest; I don't think I've managed to proc it on my Aisha's yet :laugh: (I am bad at aiming)

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How much does adagio slow down krait? Does it bring it down to 600? I have an arrowhead, subsistence, adagio and its pretty good for pve mowing. As long as you can keep it on heads, which adagio helps with. Had to take off the ol war rig in exchange for inmost light this season for a void build so subsistence is great with kraits huge (62+) mag. Reminds me of unbent tree from d1.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It bring it down to seemingly 690 or so. Not exactly 600 rpm.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I need to read up on Focused Fury. I imagine some stuff like Backup Mag mod or Tac Mag perk might work differently than stuff like Triple Tap or Overflow or sprinting around with Transversive Steps

It seems like it could be cool if you can game it a bit but I'll be honest; I don't think I've managed to proc it on my Aisha's yet :laugh: (I am bad at aiming)

It's great for specials, not primaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI5cXji5A-M

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It is not. The closer you are to 100, the lower your Bounce Intensity, and the lower amount of recoil overall:

Taken from this Reddit post which can be found with five seconds of Googling. The part we're looking at is the "spread example" in the upper right.

Bounce Intensity is effectively a secondary form of Stability - the more you have, the less your gun kicks. The closer you are to 100 with a vertical recoil breakpoint, the better.

RBX posted:

Focused Fury operates off of the weapon's base magazine size, meaning that Overflow and VEIST Stinger make it extremely easy to activate. If you happen to be in a situation where you're mag-dumping into a Yellow Bar, it's extremely useful.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kith posted:

Bounce Intensity is effectively a secondary form of Stability - the more you have, the less your gun kicks. The closer you are to 100 with a vertical recoil breakpoint, the better.

Could be I'm reading this wrong, but "More RD Is Better" is not a true statement.

89 is better than 79 of course, but 55 is better than either. The goal should always be to hit either Anything-5, or 100. You'd never, ever put a CB mod on "Gridskipper" for example, because taking it from 55 to 70 will make it perform worse.

I'd even argue that a Gridskipper with Arrowhead (85 RD) doesn't need a CB mod since 85 and 100 RD perform nearly identically, but that's probably subjective.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Could be I'm reading this wrong, but "More RD Is Better" is not a true statement.

89 is better than 79 of course, but 55 is better than either. The goal should always be to hit either Anything-5, or 100. You'd never, ever put a CB mod on "Gridskipper" for example, because taking it from 55 to 70 will make it perform worse.

I'd even argue that a Gridskipper with Arrowhead (85 RD) doesn't need a CB mod since 85 and 100 RD perform nearly identically, but that's probably subjective.

buddy,

Kith posted:

Bounce Intensity

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kith posted:

buddy,

I saw :) I'll politely say we have a different understanding of RD which is fine. Destiny guns are all about liking the feelings not the numbers so it ain't even matta

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Kith posted:

Focused Fury operates off of the weapon's base magazine size, meaning that Overflow and VEIST Stinger make it extremely easy to activate. If you happen to be in a situation where you're mag-dumping into a Yellow Bar, it's extremely useful.

Yeah but I'd rather just use green or purple for that. For red bars you have to go out your way to proc it instead of just dumping and using Adagio or OFA for the same or more damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2ju29JjB78

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
i'm with gggc on this one, I'd much rather have a vertical recoil even with a strongish bounce than any left/right recoil

so like 100 is the best of course but counterbalance taking you from like 65 to 80 or whatever is a downgrade

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think we can all agree though that you should not have to post this many graphs and numbers to work out if a mod that says it improves your recoil actually improves it, or actively worsens it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Destiny being obtuse has to be accepted as a feature at this point

e: just checking something: is there only one possible weapon a day from wellspring? So to get tarnation and whatever the other one is for this quest, I have to wait for that to rotate around, grind out two of them in the day?

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 14, 2022

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

This is also really only a problem because counterbalance stock is the only thing that doesn't change recoil by a multiple of 10 afaik. It's like someone in forsaken programmed it without fully understanding how the recoil stat worked and they never went back to change it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RBX posted:

Yeah but I'd rather just use green or purple for that. For red bars you have to go out your way to proc it instead of just dumping and using Adagio or OFA for the same or more damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2ju29JjB78

Sure, but it's also handy for grinding down Champions if you want to save your green or purple for other threats (bosses, Light-bearing Hive, etc). I know for sure I'm going to be bringing the Focused Fury roll I have with me to deal with Barrier Champions when Anti-Barrier Auto Rifle rolls around.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I saw :) I'll politely say we have a different understanding of RD which is fine. Destiny guns are all about liking the feelings not the numbers so it ain't even matta

I don't know how to convey to you more clearly than I have that I've been talking about Bounce Intensity and not Recoil Direction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fast cars loose anus posted:

Destiny being obtuse has to be accepted as a feature at this point

e: just checking something: is there only one possible weapon a day from wellspring? So to get tarnation and whatever the other one is for this quest, I have to wait for that to rotate around, grind out two of them in the day?

Yes. Each of the 4 wellspring scenarios has a different fixed reward and they cycle daily

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tarnation is also the word you express after looking at the perk pool for it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kith posted:

I don't know how to convey to you more clearly than I have that I've been talking about Bounce Intensity and not Recoil Direction.

you have been talking about the same thing, like gggc even posted the data you did but in chart form

also his point about getting it to 100 being as good as ending in a 5 was to specify that 100 is an exception to the usual rules. Most of the X0 values have a very strong sideways pull, which you know, except for 100, which is vertical instead of to the left, as the pattern of 20/40/60/80 would suggest.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mazerunner posted:

you have been talking about the same thing

We were not. I was talking about Bounce Intensity, aka how much the gun kicks when you shoot it, and GGGC was talking about Recoil Direction breakpoints, aka what direction the gun kicks in.

These are not the same thing. light.gg even displays a clear distinction between the two:

Now, they are related, as they are calculated by the same stat and the chart that GGGC posted shows that Bounce Intensity goes down the higher your Recoil Direction is, but they are not the same. This disconnect is likely coming from GGGC missing the underlined part:

Kith posted:

The closer you are to 100 with a vertical recoil breakpoint, the better.
Something that I believe happened because GGGC immediately went back around to debunking another poster's claim that "more RD is better", something I didn't say:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Which - GGGC is right! More RD is not always better! Breakpoints matter! But, again, I'm not talking about Recoil Direction, I'm talking about Bounce Intensity, which is a different stat.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Check out the bounce intensity on THIS guy

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kith posted:

We were not. I was talking about Bounce Intensity, aka how much the gun kicks when you shoot it, and GGGC was talking about Recoil Direction breakpoints, aka what direction the gun kicks in.

These are not the same thing. light.gg even displays a clear distinction between the two:

Now, they are related, as they are calculated by the same stat and the chart that GGGC posted shows that Bounce Intensity goes down the higher your Recoil Direction is, but they are not the same. This disconnect is likely coming from GGGC missing the underlined part:

Something that I believe happened because GGGC immediately went back around to debunking another poster's claim that "more RD is better", something I didn't say:

Which - GGGC is right! More RD is not always better! Breakpoints matter! But, again, I'm not talking about Recoil Direction, I'm talking about Bounce Intensity, which is a different stat.

lol the bounce intensity is 100 - recoil direction

but no seriously reread gggc's first bit you responded to

which you said "no it's not" and started going off about the bounce intensity

but, again, that wasn't his point! He was talking that 100 is vertical recoil, not sideheavy recoil which is what the previous pattern of X0 would suggest it would be.

also like, grammatically, your response is stating that 100 is worse than just having X5, though I know that's not what you meant.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 14, 2022

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sGHN5EdZWM

This was interesting to watch, unlike this "argument" that's two people talking past a third.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

I have a a Vorpal Krait and it slaps rear end

Overflow vorpal is nuts, 124 rounds of boss killing power that reloads if you walk over ammo. I've had sustained fire through entire yellow bars

I keep thinking "surely I'm about to run out of ammo" and look down after killing a boss and have 60 rounds left

Subsistence vorpal is good with minor spec to ad clear

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

haveblue posted:

Yes. Each of the 4 wellspring scenarios has a different fixed reward and they cycle daily

The drop rate isn't too bad now - I think it was about 6-8 runs each (on normal) to get two red-box copiies of the guns you need. Use the completions to level up or run deepsight on your other weapons.

The next step requires reshaping a gun with an enhanced perk, so make sure you have a gun that's high enough level and an ascendant alloy available.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Hobnob posted:

The next step requires reshaping a gun with an enhanced perk, so make sure you have a gun that's high enough level and an ascendant alloy available.

I was able to swap the barrel on a weapon and then put it right back with a second reshape. Poorly worded quest step, the weapon just needs to have an enhanced trait after reshaping and doesn’t consider whether or not it already had that enhanced trait before reshaping.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

muike posted:

checking out shattered throne for the first time. In the rafter room with the ogres and blights, there's an orb you can dunk. Did I miss any dunkables before that?

e: oh i see that's for the wish ender quest
Yup. It used to be you got the Awoken Talisman that starts the Wish-Ender quest by finishing the Forsaken campaign. You then went to kill the ogre in ST and talked to the statue past it. Then you had to go do a secret mission in Tangled Shore that you had to use your ghost's scanning ability to find. After you finished that quest you got three tokens that you then had to go into ST again to cleanse by defeating hidden minibosses. That's where the orbs come into play to summon each boss.

Nowadays you get the Awoken Talisman from the quest terminal in the tower, and the tangled shore secret quest step has been removed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’ve never understood why I should care about the minutiae of weapon recoil compensation in a game that literally drags your bullets into enemies.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I like my krait but it bothers me that it doesn’t work with kinetic siphon. I only have one chroma rush from a previous season with not great rolls. I can never find a kinetic weapon I enjoy using and it makes me sad, recommendations welcome.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’ve never understood why I should care about the minutiae of weapon recoil compensation in a game that literally drags your bullets into enemies.

The answer to Why Care about esoteric nonsense in this game is usually "pvp" or "avoid making your gun worse by accident"

Destiny is a minefield of poorly understood mechanics & under the hood changes that don't make it into the patch notes. I'm pretty sure the only reason we know how shotguns work is because some dude on reddit spends 10 hours shooting his friend and Doing Math every patch!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ort posted:

I like my krait but it bothers me that it doesn’t work with kinetic siphon. I only have one chroma rush from a previous season with not great rolls. I can never find a kinetic weapon I enjoy using and it makes me sad, recommendations welcome.

Use "Stasis Siphon" on your helmet, and it'll make orbs!

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Oxyclean posted:

Meanwhile Destiny Perks are like "sliding on fridays makes your gun warmer" (this is good unless the warmness normally ends in a 5)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

It's a game about number get bigger, and the only thing better than number get bigger is number that meshes with thumbskill in nonintuitive and poorly understood ways get bigger

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What is the deal with Shotguns in this game, anyway? Every one I've tried so far has felt like they have a two meter range and the falloff is so extreme that you're only doing damage if you're right up next to what you're shooting.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Potsticker posted:

What is the deal with Shotguns in this game, anyway? Every one I've tried so far has felt like they have a two meter range and the falloff is so extreme that you're only doing damage if you're right up next to what you're shooting.

Bungie is unable to do thing, namaste.

Bring back salad man virgil

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Potsticker posted:

The perk that gives the biggest Range boost (Smooth bore) will hobble your range the most

Full Choke is the best barrel but isn't as important for Aggressive Frames

Opening Shot is the best perk on all shotguns

Range Stat is only good on some Archetypes

Aggs are the best at OHK from long ranges and the worst at Cleanup kills on a wounded target

Lightweights are the worst at OHK from long ranges but the best at Cleanup kills

Precisions are decent enough at both!

Never use a Rapid frame in pvp

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just use main ingredient, superior in every way!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Thats basically their use case, destroy things at nearly point blank range.

There's slug shotguns which get a bit more range and can headshot.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Coldforge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sGHN5EdZWM

This was interesting to watch, unlike this "argument" that's two people talking past a third.

This has been known but also average deviation being vertical in a game with generous aim assist (console) or really way less recoil anyway (pc) means that recoil that “stays” on a target as opposed to constantly drifting off (and potentially out of the sticky/magnetism zones) is waaaaaaaaaay better.

End result of anything ending with a 5 on console is you can compensate by holding the stick against it on the vertical axis, which is better than having to do that and the horizontal.

But this, It’s also why arrowhead is the best barrel on almost any gun imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
On that note, Shooting at a wall in destiny can tell you some useful information but it’s not the way to understand how a gun performs.