Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which is why it's annoying the target discs behind the forge don't trigger AA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Kith posted:

We were not. I was talking about Bounce Intensity, aka how much the gun kicks when you shoot it, and GGGC was talking about Recoil Direction breakpoints, aka what direction the gun kicks in.

These are not the same thing. light.gg even displays a clear distinction between the two:

Now, they are related, as they are calculated by the same stat and the chart that GGGC posted shows that Bounce Intensity goes down the higher your Recoil Direction is, but they are not the same. This disconnect is likely coming from GGGC missing the underlined part:

Something that I believe happened because GGGC immediately went back around to debunking another poster's claim that "more RD is better", something I didn't say:

Which - GGGC is right! More RD is not always better! Breakpoints matter! But, again, I'm not talking about Recoil Direction, I'm talking about Bounce Intensity, which is a different stat.

Lol here’s a secret for all my big brain homies:

Bounce Intensity is “RD-100”

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Moist Turtleneck (RIP) had a good gif for understanding RD that involved progressively smaller booties getting shaken as the decaying sin wave climbed to 100

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah im not entirely certain how all that stuff works but i know enough to test if a gun pulls left and if it does I gently caress with it until it pulls up instead, and then it becomes A Good Gun

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah im not entirely certain how all that stuff works but i know enough to test if a gun pulls left and if it does I gently caress with it until it pulls up instead, and then it becomes A Good Gun

Sticky this post it’s all that matters

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Lol here’s a secret for all my big brain homies:

Bounce Intensity is “RD-100”

When the gently caress are you gonna post another gun range video fam

Also d2 is obtuse and fun

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Thats basically their use case, destroy things at nearly point blank range.

There's slug shotguns which get a bit more range and can headshot.

The number of times that I want to destroy a thing at point blank range and don't have a tool that would work just as well is equal to the number of times I forget that I do and use my secondary slot grenade launcher instead and blow myself and everything around me up.

Game's fun.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’ve never understood why I should care about the minutiae of weapon recoil compensation in a game that literally drags your bullets into enemies.

I was on board until the recoil numbers were cracked, and then the chaperone range glitched was discovered. Technically not related but for a game that is so methodical about stat numbers it seemed wrong for something like that to fly unnoticed

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This game is literally built on stuff flying unnoticed. Bungie flops out an update, brain worms players spend two months playing with the guns to find exploits and eventually it gets nerfed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Potsticker posted:

What is the deal with Shotguns in this game, anyway? Every one I've tried so far has felt like they have a two meter range and the falloff is so extreme that you're only doing damage if you're right up next to what you're shooting.
Destiny takes the "videogame shotgun" trope to its extreme by having them delete anything that's at stabbing distance and being a wet fart at any range beyond that.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Never use a Rapid frame
Fixed.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

xzzy posted:

This game is literally built on stuff flying unnoticed. Bungie flops out an update, brain worms players spend two months playing with the guns to find exploits and eventually it gets nerfed.

This is why you should always use what feels the best, meta be damned.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Collateral Damage posted:

Destiny takes the "videogame shotgun" trope to its extreme by having them delete anything that's at stabbing distance and being a wet fart at any range beyond that.

Fixed.

Man that is faaaaair.

I kinda like dumping rapid frame shotgun rounds into fat enemies for big bursts of damage, but I feel like Rapids should have like... 50% more reserves (and you should start with 3 shells in PvP instead of 2)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeah, it's deeply unsatisfying given that there are plenty of other ways to delete things next to you. I was expecting maybe they'd fill a niche of like-- having good spread or something when you have to deal with lots of enemies, but afaict if they have a cone it's super narrow to go along with the super short range.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I have a vorpal rapid fire frame one I like to use for killing tanks because it can burst down the leg in 2 seconds to make it vulnerable. Thats the only time I’ve ever felt like “yeah using a shotgun felt good”.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blame aggressive crucible players, it's their fault shotguns have been getting progressively worse as long as the game has existed.

It's probably about at the point where they should redesign the weapon to not be OHK and switch them to kinetic ammo. Or something smarter but equally drastic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If there were more counterplay than “be good enough at PvP to predict when someone is waiting to remove your head from your neck around every corner” then it wouldn’t feel as severe, but it’s probably the steepest learning curve I’ve experienced in PvP. Lots of players I would consider to be MILES MILES MILES ahead of me in PvP haven’t worked out how to counter apes yet.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Bust Rodd posted:

If there were more counterplay than “be good enough at PvP to predict when someone is waiting to remove your head from your neck around every corner” then it wouldn’t feel as severe, but it’s probably the steepest learning curve I’ve experienced in PvP. Lots of players I would consider to be MILES MILES MILES ahead of me in PvP haven’t worked out how to counter apes yet.

"Don't ever go around a corner, or stand near one"

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ort posted:

Thats the only time I’ve ever felt like “yeah using a shotgun felt good”.

IKELOS_SG used to be viable for boss dps, that felt pretty good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So were slug shotguns for a hot minute, and those still feel pretty good to use, but you'll have to get a lot better at aiming than with the pellet kind

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Gather round and let me tell you a story about the Universal Remote.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They will never be able to balance crucible while there are people who can reliably headshot moving targets with a sniper rifle.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Moist Turtleneck (RIP) had a good gif for understanding RD that involved progressively smaller booties getting shaken as the decaying sin wave climbed to 100

What happened to that guy anyway

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Paracelsus posted:

That is the one!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

What happened to that guy anyway

Paid some guardians to extract the brain worms that kept him bound to the game. We should all be so lucky.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Trench barrel led to every boss getting that obnoxious stomp mechanic. And they kept the stomp even after nerfing trench barrel.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They will never be able to balance crucible while there are people who can reliably headshot moving targets with a sniper rifle.

Also while people can maneuver to make themselves impossible to hit while closing to shotgun range

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Coldforge posted:

"Don't ever go around a corner, or stand near one"

[Laughs in Antaeus Wards]

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Destiny 2 also has the issue that handcannons have to always be at or near the top of the meta because of that director who loving loves handguns, and every other gun kind of feels like it has to be balanced around that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really don’t know where you’re getting that impression from, Handcannons do not seem to be over represented in PvP, despite there being 40 of them and them all being pretty-to-really good. Shotguns and Fusion Rifles are way, way, way more dominant atm, or at least that was my experience in trials and comp so far this season.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://warmind.io/analytics/trials

https://destinytrialsreport.com/

https://destinytracker.com/destiny-2/db/insights

You can use other options for sure but Hand cannons are definitely top dawg primaries/weapons

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Bust Rodd posted:

I really don’t know where you’re getting that impression from, Handcannons do not seem to be over represented in PvP, despite there being 40 of them and them all being pretty-to-really good. Shotguns and Fusion Rifles are way, way, way more dominant atm, or at least that was my experience in trials and comp so far this season.

Charlemagne still shows 8 of the top 20 kinetic+energy weapons are handcannons, vs 5 fusion and shotguns combined. This weekend’s trials.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
BTW, is Trials actually light-level-enabled in any meaningful way? A Le Monarque headshot from someone 20+ LL below me still puts me at near death just like normal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paracelsus posted:

BTW, is Trials actually light-level-enabled in any meaningful way? A Le Monarque headshot from someone 20+ LL below me still puts me at near death just like normal.

No. The artifact is disabled and only your gear level counts, which means most players are 1560 and most of the ones left over are 1550 or higher

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

haveblue posted:

No. The artifact is disabled and only your gear level counts, which means most players are 1560 and most of the ones left over are 1550 or higher

I was 1550 gear level, other people who were in the 1530s or even lower for their gear level didn't seem to be hindered in any way by the difference.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah trials is power level enabled in order to force you to use Not-Sunset guns and to participate in the powerful/pinnacle climb

It also helps cut down on people making smurf accounts since they'd need to spend tens of hours getting to 1550ish first

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Paracelsus posted:

I was 1550 gear level, other people who were in the 1530s or even lower for their gear level didn't seem to be hindered in any way by the difference.

It really depends on what the gun is. This post tells you the handicap for different LL, and it goes both ways.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/pnj1jf/comment/hcpnibw/

If you're at the powerful cap of 1550 and they're at the pinnacle cap of 1560 you will do 8% less damage to them and recieve 8% more damage.

For some weapons this doesn't matter because of the damage numbers, but for other weapons it matters very much. For example, you can both still sniper headshot each other but you can't get a 3 hit kill with a 140 hc and need 4 shots, while they can actually be sloppier than normal and bring you down in 2 headshots and 1 body.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Coming in late here to the conversation but, Krait with the Adagio feels fantastic. The ROF difference is barely noticeable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My Krait has both one for all and stats for all, so I put minor spec on it and kill 3 red bars and we're off to the races

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hand cannons and shotguns are always going to be dominant in PVP - because their damage is instant and front loaded, you can peek shoot all day against any other class of weapon and win. The only exception are the things that drive streamers and the hardcore crowd nuts like the DMT.

There's a reason why every single streamer runs some variation of a shotgun / hand cannon or sniper hand cannon in trials every weekend and every 3v3 tournament is the same loadout. Its the same reason hunters are so dominant in PVP and the only other class that gets a look in is the top tree dawn blade. Being able to peek out of cover to do big damage and immediately hide in cover is is always going to be more important in that top level of play.

It's also why they all get so salty about fusions because you can actually do that mid point OHK where shotguns normally close the distance and rapid fire pulses because you can out duel a handcannon if you can get the right perk rolls (cause flinch).