Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

smug n stuff posted:

Of course not! I’m suggesting that if you go outside and get mugged, that is some explanation for why you got mugged. But it remains entirely the mugger’s fault for mugging you.

Well, OK, but that feels like a bit of a nothing statement. Like, if I wasn't born, I wouldn't have been mugged. If I didn't wear a bright yellow hat that caught the attention of the mugger, he might not have noticed me. If I went by a different route, I would have avoided the mugger. If I left the house earlier or later, I would have missed the mugger. A lot of things added up to result in me coming across the mugger just when he had a cash deficit. What do they really matter to my mugging, exactly, unless you're trying to prescribe specific behavior I should take to avoid a mugging?

Mind, there's another point, too. If you want to say "Euromaidan led to Putin's aggression," and just hold it up as a value-neutral statement, OK, sure, fine. But couldn't you also say "Yanukovych's actions led to Euromaidan"? Are we then to link "Yanukovych's actions led to Putin's aggression"? Hell, we can trace this game backwards further - if we want to talk about NATO expansion causing this, then we may ask "Well, what caused NATO expansion? If NATO expansion inevitably caused Russian defensiveness, then what pressures and fears were driving NATO thinking?" And we can frankly keep running backwards on this chain of events until we decide that Genghis Khan was responsible for the Ukrainian War. At which point does anybody actually have agency, and aren't just a long chain of dominoes falling over due to prior historical events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

I don't think some influencer is a source to go by. I'm pretty sure the Chinese are able to produce rations.

Yeah for the rich airforce kids. PLA gets poo poo

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

So here's the absolute truth:

I don't give a flying gently caress whst the US thinks of Ukraine, or what Russia thinks of Ukraine, I care about what the ELECTED government of Ukraine by Ukrainians want to do.

Right, but here's the thing - NATO accession is not something that the Ukrainian public has much say over, one way or the other. They can support governments that are pro- or anti-NATO accession, but ultimately, it's up to the alliance's member-states. Either they vote unanimously to accept a country, or else that country doesn't get in. So the U.S. government's view on the issue does matter, especially since the U.S. is the de facto leading member of NATO. If that sounds lovely and unfair, well, you're right. NATO is not an alliance that exists to do what's fair; it's an alliance to enhance the interests of its member-states. That is the reason why Ukraine is not being let in: because it does not serve the interests of the alliance's member-states.

quote:

What gives Russia the right to rein in Ukraine's agency? Because they are big and scary?

Nothing gives them that right. Geopolitics isn't about who has the "right" to do anything.

Fame Douglas posted:

Then why would Russia be threatened by Ukrainian NATO membership?

Because Russia doesn't believe that NATO is a defensive alliance; they see it as an anti-Russian military alliance aimed at putting hostile armed forces on their borders.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Tomn posted:

At which point does anybody actually have agency, and aren't just a long chain of dominoes falling over due to prior historical events?

Agency is an illusion but it's still OK to blame Russia for the invasion.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

I'm not sure giving troops Chinese MREs is helpful. Steve1989 said that the only times he got sick from eating MREs were from chinese MREs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96m5lB8nzA

And this is someone who's eaten Civil war hardtack, and Boer war beef broth.

This doesn't necessarily mean their MREs are bad. Gut bacteria is a fascinating topic and Chinese MREs are probably developed for people with a very different diet who would have fewer issues.

Bel Shazar posted:

Ironically, there is a central decision maker pushing the invasion so yes we can absolutely blame someone who could've said no for minimal personal consequences.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Because Russia doesn't believe that NATO is a defensive alliance; they see it as an anti-Russian military alliance aimed at putting hostile armed forces on their borders.

If they actually believed that, they wouldn't have invaded Ukraine, because that gave NATO the perfect pretext to get into an actual war with Russia.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

nato enlargement was seen as provocative while it was happening, russia bitterly complained. like, you're looking at it from the perspective of latvia. we all know why latvia wanted to join nato. if you're russia, you're asking - why exactly does the west want to offer security guarantees to them? it's not like the latvian forces are going to be crucial in any operation. the literal only strategic reason is to put bases on russia's border (russia is not under any circumstances going to believe that it was done for any kind of ethical principle), which is an aggressive action. that kind of thing is going to completely discredit pro-western voices and empower hardliners, which is exactly what happened. you can find the russian invasion grotesque and unjustified while still acknowledging that it didn't occur in a vacuum, and that american actions helped set the stage for what is happening.

I like how your argument went from "Latvia would obviously want to join NATO because their neighbor is a crazed imperialist fascist" to "but it's actually America's fault they did so"

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 14, 2022

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Nothing gives them that right. Geopolitics isn't about who has the "right" to do anything.

I mean, international law clearly means they don't have the right to wage a war of aggression. And all the sanctions make it pretty clear a significant part of the world agrees.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Now I'm going to stay inside and eat Chinese rations.

fnox
May 19, 2013

It seems like the only reason to push forward the "NATO is partially responsible for this" angle, at least for non-malicious actors, comes from this idea that there has to be some deeper reason for Russia to invade. Again like, you can judge the geopolitical climate right before the invasion and you can very clearly tell that Russia was in a much, much better position than it was now. The invasion is a mistake, every analyst anywhere agrees with this. Putin did not get precipitated into committing a mistake, there wasn't some larger play here, he decided to take the shot entirely on his own, and yeah in this particular scenario that actually means, literally, that he's the only one to blame.

There is no world in which this invasion would've left Russia in a better state than it is today. It is an irrational action.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

That's... way smaller than I thought it would be

Thought he was in like mass chud popular appeal territory

barely anyone watches cable news, at least live. clips/videos after the fact is a different story.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

If they actually believed that, they wouldn't have invaded Ukraine, because that gave NATO the perfect pretext to get into an actual war with Russia.

I'm not entirely sure what it is you're arguing; NATO is not at war with Russia, and Russia does not want to be at war with NATO. If you're arguing that Putin badly miscalculated in believing that NATO would not unite and support Ukraine indirectly, I agree with you - it was a terrible miscalculation on his part.

Fame Douglas posted:

People here are saying that Putin would have invaded either way. NATO membership wasn't on the table for Ukraine either way, and they decided to pursue both NATO and EU membership after being invaded by Russia by themselves. Waiting wasn't an option. Russia wants to restore Russia to its former "glory"

I don't think it's necessarily true that "Putin would have invaded either way." Indeed, if the assessments of people like Burns, Perry, and Kennan in the 90s were correct, and NATO expansion fanned the flames of revanchist nationalism in Russia, Putin might not have taken power in the first place.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This all just collapses back to 'it's the Ukrainian people's fault for dreaming of being something better than a Russian client state'.

Which on a technical cause-effect level is true, but also unhelpful if you want to try and form a normative statement about how things should be.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

I'm not entirely sure what it is you're arguing; NATO is not at war with Russia, and Russia does not want to be at war with NATO. If you're arguing that Putin badly miscalculated in believing that NATO would not unite and support Ukraine indirectly, I agree with you - it was a terrible miscalculation on his part.

I don't think it's necessarily true that "Putin would have invaded either way." Indeed, if the assessments of people like Burns, Perry, and Kennan in the 90s were correct, and NATO expansion fanned the flames of revanchist nationalism in Russia, Putin might not have taken power in the first place.

You just claimed that Putin is afraid of NATO being an anti-Russian military alliance aimed at putting hostile armed forces on their borders. If this were actually true, he wouldn't have invaded Ukraine, because he'd see NATO as an anti-Russian military alliance aimed at putting hostile armed forces on their borders. I'm not entirely sure what it is you're arguing, seems kind of incoherent?

I'm saying that Putin has effectively demonstrated he isn't afraid of NATO at all.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 14, 2022

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Majorian posted:

Putin took power because he was willing to not prosecute yeltsin.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I'm sure everything will work out fine in the civilized self-proclaimed republics.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1503501315225358336?s=20&t=5kjUVGFK85-8Be6p_bC59g

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cr0y posted:

I can't believe no one went for the "yes you can buy our gold but we are going to keep it physically, I mean you trust us right?" Plan.

Props to them for coming up with a more obviously stupid investment opportunity than NFTs, I guess.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Majorian posted:

Putin was handed power by boris after putin wrote some article on how russia should be a forward thinking, modern state with patriotism and human rights. And boris somehow believed it all.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Saint Celestine posted:

I'm not sure giving troops Chinese MREs is helpful. Steve1989 said that the only times he got sick from eating MREs were from chinese MREs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96m5lB8nzA

And this is someone who's eaten Civil war hardtack, and Boer war beef broth.

I watched this and I'm sorry to report that he says the other time he got sick from an MRE is when he was hospitalized with e. coli from a Ukrainian canned ration

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Majorian posted:

How far back should we go? Russian oppression of the eastern European states during the cold war is what made them want to join NATO. If Russia didn't force these countries under its boot, maybe they would never have wanted to join NATO in the first place.

It is Russia's fault that NATO expanded. Their actions instilled a level of fear in other countries that joining a defensive alliance was their best option.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1503409411091484677?t=7t0IgNAHGUKEu_fXkt3L3Q&s=19

This is a Bloomberg terminal repost.

“Blocking access to international waterways”

That’s a blockade. Holy poo poo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1503409411091484677?t=7t0IgNAHGUKEu_fXkt3L3Q&s=19

I'd be shocked if Biden's actually signaled he's given a go ahead for a blockade. That's about as much a war as a no fly zone is.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So say Russia seizes the planes, they’re put into use and a few months later a seized Boeing falls out of the sky, killing all on board, because it couldn’t be maintained anymore with OEM parts or by technicians that know what they’re doing.

How is/should Boeing going to respond? Nobody watching the news is going to care why it crashed, they’re only going to see/care that a Boeing crashed. I can’t imagine Boeing is going to look good in this scenario.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Tomn posted:

Well, OK, but that feels like a bit of a nothing statement. Like, if I wasn't born, I wouldn't have been mugged. If I didn't wear a bright yellow hat that caught the attention of the mugger, he might not have noticed me. If I went by a different route, I would have avoided the mugger. If I left the house earlier or later, I would have missed the mugger. A lot of things added up to result in me coming across the mugger just when he had a cash deficit. What do they really matter to my mugging, exactly, unless you're trying to prescribe specific behavior I should take to avoid a mugging?

Mind, there's another point, too. If you want to say "Euromaidan led to Putin's aggression," and just hold it up as a value-neutral statement, OK, sure, fine. But couldn't you also say "Yanukovych's actions led to Euromaidan"? Are we then to link "Yanukovych's actions led to Putin's aggression"? Hell, we can trace this game backwards further - if we want to talk about NATO expansion causing this, then we may ask "Well, what caused NATO expansion? If NATO expansion inevitably caused Russian defensiveness, then what pressures and fears were driving NATO thinking?" And we can frankly keep running backwards on this chain of events until we decide that Genghis Khan was responsible for the Ukrainian War. At which point does anybody actually have agency, and aren't just a long chain of dominoes falling over due to prior historical events?

Might as well never try to explain anything, then, huh. Joking, of course, I take your point. But don’t you think that the “the only thing that has any causal bearing on the invasion is the deranged mind of Vladimir Putin” is also kind of a “nothing idea?” We hopefully all agree that Putin is bad and hold sole blame (maybe plus some of his advisors) for the invasion. But how does saying there was nothing else involved (not nothing else blame-worthy, to be clear, I still think those are very different things) help us? How does it help us avoid situations like this in the future? Is the only thing to do assassinate him? That seems wrong too.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Probably more "blocking them from crossing passages that are controlled by nation states, e.g. Suez/Dardanelles/Panama Canal" and less "blockading Vladivostok".

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

How is/should Boeing going to respond? Nobody watching the news is going to care why it crashed, they’re only going to see/care that a Boeing crashed. I can’t imagine Boeing is going to look good in this scenario.

What lead you to this conclusion? It absolutely does matter why they crashed. Planes crashing in third-world countries due to bad maintenance don't lead to any outcry in the US. Or did you hear about Sriwijaya Air Flight 182.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That's the one that stuck out to me too.

I'm not sure how we would enforce that though, without seizing or sinking russian ships.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Fame Douglas posted:

I mean, international law clearly means they don't have the right to wage a war of aggression. And all the sanctions make it pretty clear a significant part of the world agrees.

Ah yeah, international law, that thing that definitely matters and gets regularly enforced which is why the United States has been brought to heel for its illegal invasion of Iraq :rolleyes:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That’s exactly what that is, and the usage of such is universally an considered an act of war.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sinteres posted:

I'd be shocked if Biden's actually signaled he's given a go ahead for a blockade. That's about as much a war as a no fly zone is.

I believe it would be stuff to the us in our ports/etc.

GaussianCopula posted:

Probably more "blocking them from crossing passages that are controlled by nation states, e.g. Suez/Dardanelles/Panama Canal" and less "blockading Vladivostok".

Also this probably.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

KitConstantine posted:

Slightly off topic funny post, indulge me
https://twitter.com/mrsorokaa/status/1503489529721901061?t=Mmob1bsHtqF6jYNXgl2Lug&s=19
loving lol the French president is a clout chaser

Constantly waffling back and forth whether it's a good thing a wet towel like Macron is in office or if an old school Le Gran type would be better to help resolve the situation. Probably the former.

Fame Douglas posted:

I don't think some influencer is a source to go by. I'm pretty sure the Chinese are able to produce rations.

I don't think there's anyone who knows more about international ration quality on Earth than that dude.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pobrecito posted:

Ah yeah, international law, that thing that definitely matters and gets regularly enforced which is why the United States has been brought to heel for its illegal invasion of Iraq :rolleyes:

Thanks for stating the obvious. Power is the ultimate force in international law, but still, it's considered to be an illegal invasion by a significant part of the world.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Bel Shazar posted:

This is a bit of a derail but I just wanted to post one of my favorite blog articles. Specifically, relevant to this discussion, section 4 and 5. Here's an excerpt:

quote:

So when I tell people about this election, and they ask me “Does it always have the same outcome?” the answer is yes and no. Because the Great Forces always push the same way. The strong factions are strong. Money is power. Blood is thicker than promises. Virtue is manipulable. In the end, a bad man will be pope. And he will do bad things. The war is coming, and the land — some land somewhere — will burn. But the details are always different. A Cardinal needs to gather fourteen votes to get the throne, but it’s never the same fourteen votes, so it’s never the same fourteen people who get papal favor, whose agendas are strengthened, whose homelands prosper while their enemies fall. And I have never once seen a pope elected in this simulation who did not owe his victory, not only to those who voted, but to one or more of the humble functionaries, who repeated just the right whisper at just the right moment, and genuinely handed the throne to Monster A instead of Monster B. And from that functionary flow the consequences. There are always several kingmakers in the election, who often do more than the candidate himself to get him on the throne, but what they do, who they help, and which kingmaker ends up most favored, most influential, can change a small war in Genoa into a huge war in Burgundy, a union of thrones between France and England into another century of guns and steel, or determine which decrees the new pope signs. That sometimes matters more than whether war is in Burgundy or Genoa, since papal signatures resolve questions such as: Who gets the New World? Will there be another crusade? Will the Inquisition grow more tolerant or less toward new philosophies? Who gets to be King of Naples? These things are different every time, though shaped by the same forces.

We feel it, the students as myself, coming out of the simulation. The Great Forces were real, and were unstoppable. The dam was about to break. No one could stop it. But the human agents — even the tiniest junior clerk who does the paperwork — the human agents shaped what happened, and every action had its consequences, imperfect, entwined, but real. The dam was about to break, but every person there got to dig a channel to try to direct the waters once they flowed, and that is what determined the real shape of the flood, its path, its damage. No one controlled what happened, and no one could predict what happened, but those who worked hard and dug their channels, most of them succeeded in diverting most of the damage, achieving many of their goals, preventing the worst. Not all, but most.

And what I see in the simulation I also see over and over in real historical sources.

This is how both kinds of history are true. There are Great Forces. Economics, class, wealth gaps, prosperity, stagnation, these Great Forces make particular historical moments ripe for change, ripe for war, ripe for wealth, ripe for crisis, ripe for healing, ripe for peace. But individuals also have real agency, and our actions determine the actual consequences of these Great Forces as they reshape our world. We have to understand both, and study both, and act on the world now remembering that both are real.

So, can human beings control progress? Yes and no.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’d probably prefer a different source then rando repost.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DOOMocrat posted:

I don't think there's anyone who knows more about international ration quality on Earth than that dude.

On the other hand, some American influencer not liking Chinese rations doesn't seem super surprising.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fame Douglas posted:

What lead you to this conclusion? It absolutely does matter why they crashed. Planes crashing in third-world countries due to bad maintenance don't lead to any outcry in the US. Or did you hear about Sriwijaya Air Flight 182.

Well for starters Russians are predominately white.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

On the other hand, some American influencer not liking Chinese rations doesn't seem super surprising.

Did you see the rations?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well for starters Russians are predominately white.

But everybody would know the context of Russia not being able to maintain these aircraft correctly? Context absolutely does matter, and would matter.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tomn posted:

That would leave the former USSR countries entirely at the mercy of Russia, though, and would be a gamble that Russia absolutely wouldn't do anything to gently caress with them as long as NATO backed off. It MIGHT be possible that backing off long enough would have caused a thawing of hearts in Russia as they started to fully understand that NATO truly had no ill intent towards them and started to relax around European integration projects, but it might not have as well and then we'd be here wringing our hands about our failure to defend to helpless when they asked for our aid.

Essentially this argument centers around a single question: Would not enlarging NATO have guaranteed Russian willingness and ability to fully integrate into the European order peacefully? If you think the answer is yes, you can argue that expanding NATO led inevitably to where we are today. If you think the answer is no, you can argue that failing to expand NATO was merely allowing helpless states to be swallowed up by a resurgent Russia. I don't think that it's really possible to answer that question decisively and trying to do so is just going to circle endlessly around what-ifs, and in any event there's a good deal more that fed into Russian decision-making than just NATO, like the failure of shock therapy and its subsequent effects on Russian thinking.

Edit: For what it's worth, my own read is that not expanding NATO would not in any way have guaranteed that Russia would have made moves on its neighbors and would have required threading the needle on multiple events for everything to end up in the Best Timeline, but I'm just some random schlub on the Internet so what do I know.

i think nato enlarging by itself does not guarantee russia's willingness to integrate into the european order, because russia has never been interested in simply becoming a western country. it wanted an alternative security architecture where it got a greater say, perhaps even outright veto power, over security issues in europe. but the question is not really a binary between russia being a western-friendly power and it invading all of its neighbors. this really is the result of a particularly toxic brand of nationalism rising in russia. lest we forget, russia actually had been trending, even under putin, toward friendlier relations with the west. then nato intervened in kosovo against russia's traditional ally, then a few years later pulled out of the abm treaty under bush and built anti-missile defenses in eastern europe, and then enlarged nato toward russia's borders. that enlargement also coincided with color revolutions in the former soviet republics, which russia perceived as cia-backed coups. the real turning point in russia/west relations was the 2008 nato bucharest conference, where we announced our intention to give both georgia and ukraine membership in nato. that set off the russian intervention in georgia and then an intense campaign to sway ukraine back into russia's sphere (which culiminated in euro maidan, followed by the the russian seizure of crimea & the russia's intervention in donbas). russia perceived all of this as an outright attempt to destroy russia - it's not just propaganda, the evidence is overwhelming that they really did see this as a decades-long campaign to subjugate them. while nato enlargement was not the only factor, it was the poison pill that irrevocably turned the russians down this path.

do i think russia needed to invade ukraine to secure itself? no, of course not. it's understandable why they wouldn't want a perceived hostile power to have more bases on their border, obviously the us wouldn't want chinese bases in mexico, but that doesn't mean they needed to undertake a mass-murder campaign to prevent it. it did not pose a true existential threat, and therefore it was completely unjustified. the need to do this comes from the rise of extremist views in russia that pit themselves versus the west in a struggle for control of eastern europe. i don't pin the responsibility of ukraine on the west, it's on the people who ordered the invasion. but i do think it was a gamble that russia could not really do anything about our foreign policy decisions, and that didn't end up being true.

all this to say, i can certainly understand the perspective that russia would have ended up doing this anyway. after all, they are currently embarking on an invasion. i just disagree, i do think our history of deliberately antagonizing russia played a part in sending us-russian relations to where they are now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

So say Russia seizes the planes, they’re put into use and a few months later a seized Boeing falls out of the sky, killing all on board, because it couldn’t be maintained anymore with OEM parts or by technicians that know what they’re doing.

It’s going to be “Russian Boeing crashed”, with the country eating blame, just like all those plans crashes in Asia.