Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like the further I get into the story the more I see other characters do that punch open hand gesture.

The Warrior of Light is a trendsetter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

OhFunny posted:

I did the last mogtomb event casually and got everything before the end. There's no need to grind it all in one day if you don't want.

I spaced it out last time too so I'm not worried about it but there's just way more stuff I want from this one than I'm used to seeing :v:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

A Moose posted:

I saw someone yelling about boxing matches on Coeurl, how do those work? I figure I need to, since I'm playing the biggest, baldest roe named Punch Rockgroin so it should at least be entertaining for people.

The grindstone system is very popular because simple, but it is pure random.
/random command makes a number between 0 and 999
First you roll who goes first, player 1 then describes there attack and rolls again
Player 2 rolls then too. If the attackers roll is higher it is a hit and the defender describes both how they received the attack then describes their own attack and rolls

If defender is higher the attack is negated somehow, defender describes how and then describes their own attack. Repeat till someone receives 3 hits

This system can lead to some long fights too if players keep missing each other, one of the flaws

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Thinking about it, I dunno how they'd do it but it would be kinda cool if you could have 1v1 matches with random people and other people can watch like the public executions in Bozja/Zandor

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

MechaX posted:

Thinking about it, I dunno how they'd do it but it would be kinda cool if you could have 1v1 matches with random people and other people can watch like the public executions in Bozja/Zandor

Just go to the Wolves' Den.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
In another MMO I played (Aion), there was a brief period where the moderation team was active enough to hold public executions of bot accounts in the capital cities where the mods would use mod powers to do flashy PvP-esque animation things to bots as they perma banned them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OhFunny posted:

I did the last mogtomb event casually and got everything before the end. There's no need to grind it all in one day if you don't want.

don't be like me and realize 24 hours before it's over that you would need to do 10 praetorium runs for all the tomes you need

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Play Rival Wings you fun-hating cowards :argh:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kyrosiris posted:

Play Rival Wings you fun-hating cowards :argh:

Give it a roulette like Frontlines then. :colbert:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Twibbit posted:

This system can lead to some long fights too if players keep missing each other, one of the flaws

Yeah, I do an RP fighting thing where they recently introduced a new format to ideally avoid exactly that: both people start with 2000 HP, no defending rolls, whoever gets to 0 first loses.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Electric Phantasm posted:

Give it a roulette like Frontlines then. :colbert:

That's basically what the mogtome event is!

You even get 10% of a level for a loss and 20% for a win!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
When I go into dungeons I pay zero attention to what abilities my party members are using and minimize my DPS meter. I do not care what abilities you're using or who is doing more or less damage, we will get through this in a few minutes. I only open it if things are taking way too long to die, we start wiping, or if someone does something really eye-catching.

I queued up for Paglth'an as Sage. The paladin opened with a macro, "Hi~Nya! I apologize, I am a old Miqo'te, and I don't respond as fast as I used to back in my kitten days, So please, If I loose agro, and the bad guy is attacking you; please come and stand next to me so my AOE attacks can reach the baddies! Thanks in advance!!" but I paid it no mind. It wasn't until I noticed him hard casting Holy Circle on trash that I opened the meter. I was doing 3x as much damage as him on the trash as Sage?? He had every class at 90. He picked up the trash fine, but I expected him to be a trainwreck on the bosses.

...but he wasn't. Yes he was hard casting Holy Spirit a lot and used Taunt on cooldown, but he correctly executed every mechanic on every boss and never ate a single vuln stack. After the last boss I checked his abilities used on ACT. His only attacks used on the boss were Holy Spirit, the basic paladin 1-2-3 combo, Atonement, and lob. He never used a single oGCD attack.

I choose to believe it was someone's grandpa who may not be as sharp as he once was but still knows how to not stand in the fire.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Spamming holy circle isn't the worse AOE option for PLD, since it's only slightly less damage than the physical combo and also heals you.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Steelion posted:

Spamming holy circle isn't the worse AOE option for PLD, since it's only slightly less damage than the physical combo and also heals you.

It doesn't get the heal until the mid-80s, it won't heal in Paglthan.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Steelion posted:

1. Holy Circle outside of Req is 130 potency, the PLD 1-2 AOE combo is 185 potency/GCD. Casting Clemency every 3rd GCD while doing the 1-2 combo would do almost the same damage and a lot more self healing.
2. You can't block or parry while casting spells, increasing your incoming damage by about 6%.
3. Holy Spirit & Circle don't heal until 84.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 15, 2022

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Someone wanted to play a caster tank and no youngster game dev was gonna tell them otherwise

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
They probably just never looked up a rotation and assumed the shiny high level aoe spell was better than the boring low level one. Without damage meters as standard like in WoW you have no way of knowing without doing tooltip math.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zomborgon posted:

Someone wanted to play a caster tank and no youngster game dev was gonna tell them otherwise

Before it got added into the game, I used to muse on how you could do RDM as a DoM Tank class. Mostly building on my experience as a RDM in FFXI and the wonders of Stoneskin, Phalanx (significant DEF boost), and Blink spells.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

CJ posted:

Without damage meters as standard like in WoW you have no way of knowing without doing tooltip math.
true, if you refuse to ever read your abilities you will not play your class correctly.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

OhFunny posted:

True, but don't forget the last mogtome event had a two week extension because Endwalker was delayed. :v:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

don't be like me and realize 24 hours before it's over that you would need to do 10 praetorium runs for all the tomes you need

That's like 45 minutes of AV runs on BLU.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Infographic on how to speed run AV for mogtomes with BLU:

Ram's Voice: Many options but the level 33 dungeon Cutter's Cry is the easiest. You can easily do it solo synced but there are also always groups forming for it.
Ultravibration: Level 68 world mob.
Missile: Level 50 trial, Enkidu in Battle in the Big Keep
Moon Flute: Clear 10 stages of the Masked Carnivale
Whistle: Level 56 world mob
Final Sting: Level 13 world mob

You can hit level 50 in like 10 minutes at Kholusia or the Peaks with a friend. The same friend could also help you get Ultravibration and Whistle in a few minutes. The worst part is getting Missile; you can either wait for a synced group to form in PF (doable in prime time) or unsync it and pray to RNGesus. It's a 4* spell so the odds of learning it unsynced are about ~10%. Masked Carnivale isn't hard but it's time consuming even if you're doing them from a guide because it requires you to run around and gather a number of specific spells.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

I choose to believe it was someone's grandpa who may not be as sharp as he once was but still knows how to not stand in the fire.

This puts him at least two standard deviations from the mean player.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Hyper Inferno posted:

In another MMO I played (Aion), there was a brief period where the moderation team was active enough to hold public executions of bot accounts in the capital cities where the mods would use mod powers to do flashy PvP-esque animation things to bots as they perma banned them.

I know some people are really into this but it extremely grosses me out

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

It's honestly funny as hell.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think in Guild Wars 1 if a ban was issued and a character associated with the banned account was online when it happened, the in-game God of Death would manifest on the character and drag them to hell, as a fancy animation other players could see

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

that's dope as hell imo

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Theophany posted:

True, but don't forget the last mogtome event had a two week extension because Endwalker was delayed. :v:

Oh.

Well poo poo.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So what’s the stuff that’s exclusive to this event, or otherwise a pain in the rear end to get normally, so I know how to prioritize?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The earrings are the biggest thing, I'm pretty sure.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Regalingualius posted:

So what’s the stuff that’s exclusive to this event, or otherwise a pain in the rear end to get normally, so I know how to prioritize?

I've bolded the stuff that is either exclusive or that I think is annoying, though your tastes may vary.

• Mameshiba earring - exclusive to the event
  • Euphonious kamuy fife - relatively easy to farm from Suzaku extreme (lv. 70 fight)
  • Modern Aesthetics - Controlled Chaos - bought with 1800 skybuilders scrip (crafting currency)
  • Primogenitor roll - farmable from Alphascape v2.0 (lv. 70 fight)
  • Ostensibly Special Timeworn Map - exclusive to the event, a version of the Kumbhiraskin map that guarantees a portal to the treasure dungeon
  • Tamamo headband - getting gold in a rare spawn Stormblood FATE twice or two silver Khloe certificates
  • Drake horn - max Amalj'aa reputation
  • Laurel goobbue horn - max Sylph reputation
  • Aithon whistle - easily farmable from Ifrit extreme (lv. 50)
  • Boreas whistle - easily farmable from Shiva extreme (lv. 50)
  • White lanner whistle - easily farmable from Bismarck extreme (lv. 60)
  • Rose lanner whistle - easily farmable from Ravana extreme (lv. 60)
  • MGP platinum card - equivalent to 50,000 MGP from other sources
  • Botanist's garden, lily floor lamp, lily wall lamp, simple curtain, oasis wall-mounted fountain - crafted from common materials
  • Late Allagan equipment - bought with Wolf Marks (PVP currency)
  • Riding maps, Behemoth heir - bought with Allied Seals (2.x hunts currency)
  • Ivon Coeurlfist doll - uncommon Temple of the Fist drop (lv. 70)
  • Guidance Node card, Genbu card, Argath Thadalfus card - common dungeon drops (lv. 60-70)
  • Indomitable roll - bought with Kojin rep tokens
  • Keepers of the Lock roll - bought with Ananta rep tokens
  • Magicked prisms - junk

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 16, 2022

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The magicked prisms do have some minor value; they are a visual effect that moves around with your character, and which is quite large and easy to see. As such, I like to use them as a 'hey, follow me for this mechanic' when I can see someone is clueless.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can just dorito yourself for that

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Tonight, the Heavensward LP delves deep into the realms of SCIENCE! Delicious, magical Science!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Awesome! posted:

you can just dorito yourself for that

Danger Dorito, Suspicious Square and Confused Circle depending on the confidence of the guide.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
One thing i noticed today, i tried to leave a Castrum Meridianum but because i was too slow they began pulling and it wouldn't let me leave mid combat so i just alt+f4ed. When i came back later it gave me the xp for completing it even though i was logged off. I get giving completion credit if you DC during the final boss or something but it's kind of silly to give XP to someone who disconnected right at the start.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Chairman posted:

[*]Ostensibly Special Timeworn Map - exclusive to the event, a version of the Kumbhiraskin map that guarantees a portal to the treasure dungeon
Additional note about these, they're stackable unlike the normal Unique maps. If you're really grindlording or want to go for map dungeon achievements or whatever, having a huge stack of these will be much easier to manage than constantly shuffling around inventory stuff between retainers/chocobo/etc. (even if you have 8 retainers you can only have like 11 normal maps at any one time so you can get screwed by the marketboard)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

CJ posted:

One thing i noticed today, i tried to leave a Castrum Meridianum but because i was too slow they began pulling and it wouldn't let me leave mid combat so i just alt+f4ed. When i came back later it gave me the xp for completing it even though i was logged off. I get giving completion credit if you DC during the final boss or something but it's kind of silly to give XP to someone who disconnected right at the start.

Yeah...you shouldn't do that, its a dick move to everyone else in the roulette. I get that Meridianum is less value than Praeto, but come on man....its a roulette not a guarantee, and your screwing everyone else's time up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also, CM is like 25 minutes where Prae is 40+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
CM should be worth more than Prae. CM is more work.